Author Topic: The SNES 20  (Read 30466 times)

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
Re: The SNES 20
« Reply #100 on: August 22, 2011, 01:26:34 AM »
My brain is going to explode
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 22, 2011, 04:58:59 AM »
I never liked pre-rendered graphics styles. They're always ugly. DKC was one ugly game and games like MvDK continue that legacy of ugly. DK94's sprites were low quality since they were small and on the Game Boy but they still had more character and seemed more alive than the plastic figurines in the rendered games.

Also Yoshi's Island... That game was disappointing. I was so excited when I got the game because it was finally a proper game starring Yoshi but it just wasn't as fun as e.g. SMW.

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #102 on: August 22, 2011, 08:14:41 AM »
Thought I'd chime in to throw my support behind anyone who thinks Donkey Kong Country is overrated crap.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 22, 2011, 10:01:54 AM »
In DKC, you need to fall into a pit to find a secret. I think there's some minor hint of a barrel's existence there, but that is a thing you have to do in that game.

Yoshi's Island, on the other hand, is everything right in a platformer, though I agree with whoever made the comment about having to collect everything. I love YI, but replaying it can become torturous because I am compelled to collect everything.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #104 on: August 22, 2011, 07:18:10 PM »
In DKC, you need to fall into a pit to find a secret. I think there's some minor hint of a barrel's existence there, but that is a thing you have to do in that game.

Sometimes there is no barrel. Or banana. You just need dumb luck, and that sucks balls. Hell, there's one bonus stage that's tough to get to, and then you get in there, and you can win a BARREL which you can carry to one end of the bonus room to find A BONUS ROOM WITHIN A BONUS ROOM. Ridonkulous.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 22, 2011, 07:52:23 PM »
All these people hating on Yoshi's Island.  That game was like mainlining pure joy.  I played it straight through to 100% completion on each save in turn.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 22, 2011, 08:06:43 PM »
Yoshi's Island is my second-favorite game on the system, and one of the only times a heavy emphasis on collecting in a platformer didn't bug the hell out of me.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 22, 2011, 08:11:49 PM »
I first played Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island last year, so I kind of missed the boat on that one. I'm not sure why it took me so long to acquire the game, it just sort of fell through the cracks I guess. It's definitely one of the most well-crafted games on the system, and I enjoyed it a lot. But I didn't bother with 100% because it just isn't fun to get 100 points in a level. If I didn't have to collect all of the red coins and flowers in one run, I might have actually done it, but as it stands it's just tedious. For this reason, I haven't played four of the six bonus stages.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 23, 2011, 02:17:21 AM »
Only one game left. And it better be Kirby Superstar. Greatest Kirby game. Iconic soundtrack. The buddy system. The abilities with many side abilities. 8 games in 1. What a deal. And each game gets more and more epic (if you play the gourmet race first). The Arena challenge. Not to mention, this game obviously had an influence on Hal when they made Smash Bros. You can see where they got some of their ideas for Smash Bros. when playing this game.

If this game is not on the list, it is invalid.

And I can't believe Mario Paint got the shaft. The flyswatter game alone is better than half the games on here.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 23, 2011, 02:22:56 AM »
A little late, but I have to agree with regards to DKC.  Not a huge fan of the series.  Love all the love DK94 is getting.  It and the Mario vs. Donkey Kong game are two great games.  While I do enjoy the Minis games, but I would *love* for Nintendo to bring back one a game in this style...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 23, 2011, 02:23:59 AM »
You obviously haven't listened to RFN, Khush. If you had, you'd have heard them confirm it's on there, and also heard one Jonathan Metts vehemently argue against its inclusion.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline mustbeburt

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 23, 2011, 08:16:54 AM »
I absolutely love Super Mario RPG.  I've played through it several times as well.  This was one of my great finds while Toys R Us was selling all of their SNES stock mad cheap back in the late 90's.  I picked a new copy for $15.  I also picked up sealed copies at a great price of All-Stars and the 3 Star Wars games.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 08:25:04 AM by mustbeburt »

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 23, 2011, 02:59:36 PM »
You obviously haven't listened to RFN, Khush. If you had, you'd have heard them confirm it's on there, and also heard one Jonathan Metts vehemently argue against its inclusion.

There's a reason Jonny's not Director anymore, and it's not because he's a doctor now, it's because he doesn't like Kirby Super Star.

Kidding aside, the Kirby Super Star article will go up soon. I always loved the game because of the variety. Not every game included is amazing, but there is enough good to make it wonderful. Kirby level design has always been weak, but that's not why I enjoy Kirby games. I think my glowing review of Epic Yarn last year touched on this a bit. Kirby games are like going for a walk in an upbeat environment. I'm not going to these games to be challenged or frustrated. I play Kirby games because they're enjoyable, charming, and fun.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 23, 2011, 07:58:06 PM »

Guilty as charged. But which episode because now I'm curious to hear why Mr. Mett's didn't like the game.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #114 on: August 23, 2011, 08:01:16 PM »

Guilty as charged. But which episode because now I'm curious to hear why Mr. Mett's didn't like the game.

Because he is a SPACE CASE... :p
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 23, 2011, 08:02:58 PM »
Well then, Milky Way Wishes. Did he not play far enough into it?

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 23, 2011, 08:07:18 PM »
Just read the summary. Could have been more glowing with praise.

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 24, 2011, 06:47:10 PM »
damn you NWR your lists make my backlog longer and longer and longer. Oh well, this is probably the best possible time to have a backlog anyways.