Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS XL Impressions  (Read 3833 times)

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
Nintendo 3DS XL Impressions
« on: July 29, 2012, 03:45:30 AM »

Like a glove.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/impressions/31172

While on a visit to Nintendo's offices this week to play upcoming games, I had a chance to try out the 3DS XL. Given my previous underwhelming experience with the DSi XL, I was pleasantly surprised by the new larger version of the 3DS.

One of the biggest improvements of the 3DS XL over the original is that most of the sharp edges have been removed and everything has a softer feel in general. The back is rounded, much like an iPad or other modern electronics. The D-pad has softer edges, and even the Circle Pad has been rounded and rubberized more. It's simply much nicer to hold, and the weight is light and not lopsided.

The buttons have been improved as well. The bottom row of buttons are now separate plastic and the power button is now inset. If you've ever accidentally turned off your system during an intense Kid Icarus: Uprising match, you'll appreciate the improved button placing.

The screens, of course, are much larger and take up the bulk of the system's area. The top screen has three different viewing angles that click into place, which is a nice touch for instance when you want to play a game with the system placed on a table. The image is bold and bright, and I did not notice a significant difference in the 3D effect.

The plastic isn't matte like the DSi XL, but it also isn't glossy like the 3DS; it's just smooth. Overall, it still has a bit of a plastic feel compared to modern smartphones, but the construction is solid. When closed, you can still see all the buttons, unlike with the original 3DS. Other than that, the system seems much sleeker. The screen scratching issue should hopefully be resolved with the addition of spacers above the top screen. 

I tried playing a DS game on the system. As expected, the larger screens magnified the fuzziness when the default scaling is turned on. However, playing with scaling off is sharp and a perfectly acceptable alternative -- because of the larger screens, the non-scaled DS image is essentially the same size as if playing on a regular DS.

Many of the 3DS XL's improvements are things that should have happened with the original model, but at least they're here now. Originally, I wasn't considering changing systems, but my hands-on time now has me leaning in that direction. I just hope it will fit in my pocket.

Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline GrabMyBoomstick

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo 3DS XL Impressions
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 01:24:42 PM »
Already have mine pre-ordered and paid for.  :cool;
Groovy

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• Embrace the status quo.
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 02:20:02 PM »
Coooool.  Thanks for the impressions, Aaron.  I still believe the DSi XL is the best piece of hardware I have ever owned, but despite our differences of opinion there, it's good to hear the 3DS XL is shaping up just as nicely.

Unfortunately, I will be holding out for some better colors.  The Japanese white or the EU silver would have been good enough for a day 1 buy from me.  But the blue and the red? Meh.  I'll wait!!

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 02:50:15 PM »
Did you not play a 3DS game with it? I'm interested in how fuzzy the 3DS games are.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 06:59:45 PM »
I did. They weren't fuzzy. Put it this way: the pixels on the 3DS XL are about the size of the pixels on the DS; there's just more of them.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 10:08:38 PM »
I'm leaning allot more to it now than when it originally was revealed. My 3DS is a little beat up and I'm not sure if it will last for years and years to come unlike my DS Lite which is dirty but still very nice.

The improvements maybe small but it seems like it will add up for a worthwhile double dip, I really wish Nintendo did more though especially with the cameras. I wonder how more shitty the pictures will look blown up?

Offline Uncle_Optimus

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 01:22:00 AM »
Appreciate the impressions.
Curious tho, you mentioned being " underwhelmed" by the dsi xl yet pleased with this one. Ive heard many liken this new portable positively with their dsi xl experience. What was underwhelming for you that was fixed with the 3ds xl?

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 01:33:56 AM »
The DSi XL didn't really improve anything over the DSi (it was all the same buttons, etc.), and I also found it to be top-heavy. My impressions for that system.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 01:38:25 AM by MegaByte »
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline Hey Einstein!

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 07:17:04 AM »
I LOVE my 3DS XL. After all the initial set up faffing, the first time I sat down with it to play some Mario Kart I felt my shoulders and eyes relax and I realized just how much more comfortable playing on a screen this size is over the original. And it's much more pleasant to hold.

But I'm surprised you prefer the select/home/start button. I know they look better in pictures but in practice I agree with the fan back lash - they are worse then the original 3DS design because you get virtually no sensation of feedback from them. At least the old home button clicked when you pressed it, even if it did feel like a Sinclair ZX 81 to use.

Anyway, aside from loosing my save stats on my eshop games this is one upgrade I would recommend too.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 01:21:48 PM »
Well, I don't really care about the trio of buttons since they're rarely used; it's the inset power button that's an improvement since you can't accidentally hit it as easily.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline jarodea

• A man of the world, so suave and discrete, he trips over the women piled up at his feet
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 10:50:47 PM »
But I'm surprised you prefer the select/home/start button. I know they look better in pictures but in practice I agree with the fan back lash - they are worse then the original 3DS design because you get virtually no sensation of feedback from them. At least the old home button clicked when you pressed it, even if it did feel like a Sinclair ZX 81 to use.
I don't know if I'll prefer the new trio over the current ones but since the current ones nearly break my thumb after 5-10 min of playing LA I think I'll like the new ones more.
Anyhow, good to hear it's great to hold.  Just got my DS Lite after not having it for 2 years and man did I forget how great it feels to hold compared to the 3DS (or heck, in general).
Well, I don't really care about the trio of buttons since they're rarely used; it's the inset power button that's an improvement since you can't accidentally hit it as easily.
They're not rarely used when playing Gameboy games, especially Link's Awakening. 

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 11:48:41 PM »
Yeah, I don't buy Virtual Console games. That they don't have a way to reconfigure the button mapping is unforgivable. But as you mentioned, they should be better for you since the old ones suck to press.
Aaron Kaluszka