Author Topic: Which Nintendo Franchise Needs A Reboot?  (Read 46657 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Which Nintendo Franchise Needs A Reboot?
« Reply #75 on: September 20, 2013, 07:53:34 AM »
The way people talk it's like the Zelda series is unplayable.

Does all this timeline talk really ruin the experience for anyone?
Like I said a few posts back in this thread:
I wouldn't say Zelda games are individually and intrinsically worse because the continuity is in shambles, but it could be so much better from a narrative standpoint if Nintendo cared more about it.
I absolutely believe this. If I didn't, I'd stop buying Zelda games. However, I love stories, hearing and telling, and I love it as a point of discussion. A well crafted story makes me swoon. I believe it is a storyteller's responsibility to let the audience know their intentions. When something is off or unexplained, the narrative suffers and it's on them.

I've maintained that when it comes to Nintendo franchises like Metroid and Zelda, I generally ignore the canon because it makes no sense. I do that for my own sanity and so I can better enjoy the games for the main reason I bought them. Nintendo simply did not put the effort in maintaining a consistent narrative though I think fans pressured them into establishing a timeline/strict canon when previously there was none and no plans for one. Nintendo was just making games because gameplay was the reason their products even exist. That's merely how I view their stories on a personal level. I'm discussing it here because well, this is a message board and I wouldn't be here if not for the conversation. Despite Luigi Dude's repeated condescension, I'm interested in talking about these games.

I definitely advocate a plot reboot of most Nintendo franchises, starting with Metroid and Zelda. Then, I'd only like to see them once per console and once per handheld (maybe two if they fall at the beginning and end of the hardware cycle like Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, the former being a GameCube game, but that's beside the point). That way, they get to plan a consistent, flowing narrative and it doesn't get bogged down by too many games in the series. I also don't really like seeing the same series over and over again. I like that we only get one Mario Kart and Smash Bros per system. I think that should be true for most Nintendo franchises. Instead of three Mario games, we get one or two then we could get F-Zero and Star Fox again. I know they don't sell as well as Mario, but I'm talking from a consumer standpoint rather than a business one.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 07:58:14 AM by Adrock »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 20, 2013, 03:10:49 PM »
If Mi nish cap is the origin of Link's hat and Skyward sword is the origin of the Master sword, which came first??

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 20, 2013, 04:24:19 PM »
Nintendo's going to rewrite it so they happened simultaneously, in separate timelines. The next game's going to tell the story of how Link got his leggings.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2013, 11:02:52 PM »
Metroid is in desperate need of a reboot, especially after Other M.

I have a whole fanfic reboot in my head. I'll do it for free, Nintendo.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 22, 2013, 12:25:01 AM »

based on the ending of Fusion I think we are reaching the point where things could get very interesting for that series.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 22, 2013, 01:14:03 AM »
They should do a Super Metroid version of the Link Between Worlds concept and just say "**** it, it's the same setup and story with a new map."
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline the asylum

• Score: -28
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2013, 12:17:19 PM »
I thought it was generally agreed upon that Other M doesn't exist. We can go on our merry way post-Fusion and not even give a wink towards that awful, awful game.

See also: CDi, Zelda

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2013, 02:45:38 PM »
Skimming the thread, it becomes clear that it's not series that need to be rebooted, but fans of said series.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 23, 2013, 05:02:35 PM »
They should do a reboot of Super Mario Brothers where Mario and Luigi start out in real-world Brooklyn as low-wage, foul-mouthed plumbers.

Offline the asylum

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 23, 2013, 07:32:09 PM »
They should do a reboot of Super Mario Brothers where Mario and Luigi start out in real-world Brooklyn as low-wage, foul-mouthed plumbers.

so basically GTA: Mario

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 23, 2013, 11:53:00 PM »

so basically GTA: Mushroom Kingdom

LMFTFY

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #86 on: September 24, 2013, 12:10:49 AM »

based on the ending of Fusion I think we are reaching the point where things could get very interesting for that series.

That's true--as I've said before. However, Nintendo is terrible at telling stories, especially after a big event that fundamentally changes the established storyline (see: Phantom Hourglass). So that'll never happen.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 24, 2013, 05:52:03 AM »
@Mop it up
I think robot chicken already parodied that scenario. I enjoy their game parodies.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #88 on: October 07, 2013, 07:28:47 PM »
well i loved OoT myself...
Made you look ****.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 07, 2013, 08:48:45 PM »
If there was one franchise in the gaming industry that needs a reboot it's the Metroid series. The series has reached a point where it has pretty much done everything that it can do with Nintendo's eastern teams at the Helm. The keys to the franchise should be handed over to Retro and have them do a reboot of Metroid in the same style as the recent remake of Tomb Raider. Secondly, there needs to be a sequel, or sidequel, to the Wii U remake that is a 2-D sidescroller developed by either Retro, Wayforward, or Armature Studios.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Wah

• View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #90 on: October 08, 2013, 06:20:32 PM »
Prime hunters was all right!
Made you look ****.

Offline the asylum

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 08, 2013, 08:27:35 PM »
Prime hunters was all right!

if you ignored all the hackers, sure

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #92 on: October 10, 2013, 12:08:01 AM »
I don't know if you need to reboot Metroid.  The foundation of Metroid is quite solid.  You have 3 beautiful 3D games that show how you can make an adventure First Person Shooter...and you have a great series with Super Metroid, Metroid 2 and Metroid Fusion...that act as a good story itself. 

I really just want to see Metroid continue in the 2D gaming world.  I think Donkey Kong Country Returns is a perfect example of what I want.  An interactive, living world, wrapped in a fun 2D game to play with characters and game mechanics already tested, but refined and made better. 

The only thing I really want Nintendo to do with their characters is flesh out their stories and allow them to be actual characters.  I wonder if Nintendo actually knows what a Bounty Hunter does?  Because many of their characters are mercenaries or Bounty Hunters, but don't actually act like it. 

I could go for a game that actually has Samus being a Bounty Hunter...I don't know exactly what that would look like but I think it would be cool. 

Offline Wah

• View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #93 on: October 10, 2013, 01:07:30 AM »
I'am just saying i want another metroid game!
Made you look ****.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #94 on: October 10, 2013, 07:13:31 PM »
Samus kinda acts that way already. She's essentially a private military force being hired by the galactic federation (or whoever) to fight pirates and kill Metroids.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 10, 2013, 07:26:51 PM »
How about making an open world Metroid game where Samus can accept 'bounty' side quests to kill or capture monsters and characters or gather hidden items. Let her suit upgrades be tied to these 'bounties' by unlocking customization of her suit. Make it an item-based system like Legend of Zelda or make it a monetary system like Fable or any other RPG style game.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #96 on: October 11, 2013, 01:34:34 AM »
I don't know if that will work.  I think the best thing would be to keep the idea of finding items in the game...it is very important to Metroid.

Open World...maybe 2D Open Worlds.  What I mean is, I think it would be cool if Samus went to different planets.  Each planet is a living breathing world.  Some ideas could be to go to home world of the Space Pirates, The home world of the X virus or whatever it was she got attacked by in Metroid Fusion, and of course the home world of the Metroids.  Each world can have multiple levels.  When you get there your ship acts as a beacon to accept missions.  List of difficulty can be displayed by bounty costs, and the computer can predict what items you need.  Speaking of items, I would love to see a combination Super Metroid, NES Metroid approach.  I loved how in Super Metroid you could unequip items you collected. 

I think this should be built into the game, but you have limited weapons and abilities you can bring.  These abilities can be found in any level, but you may need to carefully pick which items and suit upgrades to bring with you.  Of course later in the game, you could unlock a suit upgrade that gives you all your abilities all at the same time.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 11, 2013, 10:47:12 AM »
The home world of the X virus is the home world of the metroids, SR-388. Moreover, as Fusion established, with Samus wiping out the Metroids on SR-388, it allowed the X virus to flourish as the Metroids were the primary hunters of that X species.

World-hopping was done in Metroid Prime 3: Corruption including going to the pirate homeworld. That said, they probably had to find a new base after the end of that game. I applaud Retro's efforts in making each world look unique and different not only from each other but also from the previous Metroid games. I also think they did that concept about as well as it could be done. In the end, I don't think it is worthwhile. I much prefer having a one large map planet adventure, than multiple smaller map worlds. Plus, to backtrack things were slowed down. Before, you just had to get on an elevator and to transport. World-hopping meant going to your ship, loading up the map screen, selecting the map of where you want to go and then the animation of leaving the world, travelling through space, arriving at the new world and finally you were off.

I'd argue that Fusion could even be considered an idea of this multiple world hopping idea. For most of the game, each space section you enter is its own world and you have to navigate and explore through it. Only at the end of the game, with the screw attack upgrade, are you finally able to start busting through these worlds and bring them further together abit. Even then, it can still take awhile to get from one section to another depending on where you are and how it is connected.

I prefer the pace of a one world game. Metroid Zero Mission really set the bar high for that.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 10:49:42 AM by Khushrenada »
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 11, 2013, 01:18:04 PM »
The "rules" of Metroid that make it Metroid:

- The world is interconnected and able to be freely explored as opposed to having sequential level progression
- The main character obtains access to new areas using power-ups that they discover during exploration

I could realistically describe Zelda the same way.  The only real differences is the setting, Zelda having NPCs and towns and "safe" areas that Metroid doesn't typically offer, and the viewpoint.  If you follow the rules then you have something that will feel like Metroid.  A certain Metroid game that I shall not name had a very sequential progression that broke the first rule and arbitrary storyline events to open new areas, which broke the second rule.  But regardless of what story or setting you go with, you can do whatever you want if you follow the two basic rules.

Every game series can be condensed to its core elements that gives the franchise its appeal.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 08, 2017, 11:13:15 PM »
This is the right thread for this

These came out cool.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 12:57:42 AM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post