Author Topic: Google's Quest for World Dominance  (Read 36932 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Google's Quest for World Dominance
« on: February 04, 2011, 03:32:24 AM »
or Welcoming our new Google Overlords....  accepting Google as your lord and savior...? anyways...

Google always has some new crazy exciting bold ambitious new venture that they set out on so I thought it was time to start keeping track of them.
From Google Maps to Street View, Chrome the browser to the OS to the laptop that runs them both, from cellphones to TV, from energy to fiber optic cable and from charity(Chrome for a Cause) to free laptops(you can get a free Chrome Laptop if you get accepted as a beta tester right now).

Now Google has a new venture called Art Project;
http://www.googleartproject.com/

Google is on a mission to capture every piece of art in every museum around the world at insanely high definition so that you could zoom in and check the texture of the paint if that's what you wanted to do.

But as if that wasn't enough, they have Google Street Viewed the interior of these museums while they were there. You can walk around these museums and look at the art as it sits on the wall, or you can go into gallery view and zoom to see more detail than you ever could in real life.

So now you can tour the museums of the world from the comfort of your computer chair. maybe even a few years from now, you can hang your TVs on the wall and cycle the art pieces of your choice so that everyday you have a new collection of high quality art.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 11:30:31 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
Re: Google's Quest for World Dominance
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 11:23:19 AM »
...And that's a good thing. Spreading art and culture, freely, as it should be. Google does plenty of thing that are disagreeable, but I don't see this being one them by any means.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 06:54:52 PM »
Seems like a really cool idea.

Except why go to a museum now?  This could potentially hurt museum attendance and thus cut down on the donations or admission fees that keep the thing running in the first place.

One nice thing about it though is that it could make available many works that are not shown publicly due to a lack of space.  I remember watching the news some months back where a museum in Vancouver was saying that they have a lot of stuff in storage because the phyiscal museum is not large enough to have everything on display.  With this, in theory, one could have a temporary room to display these hidden works entirely for Google.  You set the stuff up, have Google film it, put those pieces back in storage, set up the room with the next batch, etc.  Though that seems time consuming and time is money.  But if in theory you could do this then those works would be able to be seen by the public without taking up room that does not exist.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 07:36:17 PM »
Didn't Microsoft buy the digital rights to a bunch of art and things about a decade ago?

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 08:31:58 PM »
Except why go to a museum now?  This could potentially hurt museum attendance and thus cut down on the donations or admission fees that keep the thing running in the first place.

Just like how being able to buy a musician's record has cut down on concert attendance, right?

Most people already avoid museum in favor of watching American Idol. This won't cut into the educated crowds at all. They'll still want to go make a day of walking around the museum. It'd be nice to have pieces from all around the world available to view at a moment's notice though, for research if nothing else.

That said... A lot of museums are completely free to visit and do not charge admission. They rely entirely upon your tax dollars and whatever donations they can muster up. A lot of museums also put up special, limited time exhibits which do require an admission fee.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 08:33:23 PM »
I don't remember the last time I saw a museum that was free to enter.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 09:05:15 PM »
I don't think you're looking hard enough TJ.

This is a good thing. The vast majority of works are in storage since you can't build a place large enough to display them even on a limited basis. While I never understood Museums as a kid, I now understand how important they are. This won't replace museums even if they digitized the entire catalogue as you just can't beat seeing something with your own 2 eyes.

It's like tourist photos. There are effectively infinite number of photos of the Eiffel Tower, but if given the chance, I would love to go there myself one day.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 09:36:46 PM »
Maybe, maybe the two in my city charge because one is also a science center and the other is also home to the National Toy Hall of Fame (and has a whole room full of classic arcade games :) ).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 04:38:48 AM »
Seems like a really cool idea.

One nice thing about it though is that it could make available many works that are not shown publicly due to a lack of space.  I remember watching the news some months back where a museum in Vancouver was saying that they have a lot of stuff in storage because the phyiscal museum is not large enough to have everything on display.  With this, in theory, one could have a temporary room to display these hidden works entirely for Google.  You set the stuff up, have Google film it, put those pieces back in storage, set up the room with the next batch, etc.  Though that seems time consuming and time is money.  But if in theory you could do this then those works would be able to be seen by the public without taking up room that does not exist.

aint nothing like the real thing, you can't see texture in photographs, monitors also have a limited color range and also can't show iridescence. When I went to art school there was an art museum next store and I probably went at the least once a month for inspiration. Even today I'm scanning in images, and there is no way the scanners can pick up on different black levels correctly..the difference between matte and shine..things like that. Not even like a ultrasounded or laser scanned 3d image with the texture on a monitor can accurately display the real thing.

I checked it out and its very clean looking though, its not like this is a bad thing.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 12:45:12 PM »
aint nothing like the real thing, you can't see texture in photographs

Zoom all the way in on the photo of Starry Night and tell me you can't see texture.  It's insane!
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2011, 12:58:40 PM »

Zoom all the way in on the photo of Starry Night and tell me you can't see texture.  It's insane!

you zoom in far enough, you can almost tell what the paint is made out of as you examine each brush stroke.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2011, 04:34:13 PM »

nope, not as good as the real thing, and those blues and cyans can't be displayed on the monitor right. No proper cobalt color could be displayed. This is not an excuse not to visit a museum.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2011, 05:02:08 PM »

nope, not as good as the real thing, and those blues and cyans can't be displayed on the monitor right. No proper cobalt color could be displayed. This is not an excuse not to visit a museum.

That's very true. The simple technical limitations of additive versus subtractive colors ensures it if nothing else...

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2011, 10:38:52 AM »
nope, not as good as the real thing

Try to get close enough to the actual Starry Night in real life.  Let's see how many seconds it takes for security to tackle you to the ground.  Face it, unless you're the curator of a museum, you're not going to be able to see that level of detail in person.

and those blues and cyans can't be displayed on the monitor right. No proper cobalt color could be displayed. This is not an excuse not to visit a museum.

You'll notice I didn't say anything about color.  I just responded to your remark about texture.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2011, 09:00:03 PM »
the texture is flattened to begin with..do you have a 3d monitor? I'm not talking about the illusion of texture, im talking about actual texture. This might as well be the difference between watching a play and watching a movie. I have lots and lots of art books, and in the art books are pretty high resolution pictures of all of these images, so none of this is new to me. The argument that Ian brought up was why go to a museum? Because it isn't the same fucking thing.

I remember when WWF came to town and i got to see wrestlers Chris Benoit, Jericho, Kane, Prince Albert, etc. As Chris Benoit walked down the isles he slapped many hands on his exit, mine being one. Now years later the guy is dead and worm food, and the only way you can see him is some virtual false way, or digging this ass up. Is it the same thing? No. Just like when The Scream got stollen, everyone thought they would never see the real thing again, until it supposedly got recovered and is on display again.

Lets talk about the Matrix..the movie. What is the difference between living in the virtual Matrix world, or living outside that box? One is real and the other is not. On top of that is this even reality?

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2011, 10:31:43 PM »
I remember when WWF came to town and i got to see wrestlers Chris Benoit, Jericho, Kane, Prince Albert, etc. As Chris Benoit walked down the isles he slapped many hands on his exit, mine being one.

Sorry if I sound like an ass, but this pretty much voids you entire argument.  How am I supposed to take your opinion of art seriously when you're the kind of art critic who goes to a professional wrestling matches?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2011, 10:34:53 PM »
What is that supposed to mean? Wrestling is popular among all levels of society.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2011, 10:49:11 PM »
Keep telling yourself that, champ.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2011, 11:24:41 PM »
WWE Raw gets watched by 6 million+ every week and the company is a multi-billion dollar company. I could name dozens of famous people in all kinds of professions who are confirmed fans. You may not like wrestling, but all kinds of people do. I don't see how being a fan of it is any different than being a fan of other forms of entertainment.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2011, 12:17:13 AM »
I remember when WWF came to town and i got to see wrestlers Chris Benoit, Jericho, Kane, Prince Albert, etc. As Chris Benoit walked down the isles he slapped many hands on his exit, mine being one.

Sorry if I sound like an ass, but this pretty much voids you entire argument.  How am I supposed to take your opinion of art seriously when you're the kind of art critic who goes to a professional wrestling matches?

i used to do a lot of odd things in my youth. Then again one could classify wrestling as subversive home-erotic ballet. Actually the character gimmicks are way underplayed now a-days, plus they used to wear tighter clothes and it was easier to see their junk...wait

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2011, 01:48:50 AM »
the texture is flattened to begin with..do you have a 3d monitor? I'm not talking about the illusion of texture, im talking about actual texture. This might as well be the difference between watching a play and watching a movie. I have lots and lots of art books, and in the art books are pretty high resolution pictures of all of these images, so none of this is new to me. The argument that Ian brought up was why go to a museum? Because it isn't the same fucking thing.

Those must be some BIG ASS books, because if you can get that level of detail from a book, you must have it posted up no a billboard.

As far as your wrestling analogy, seeing and touching wrestlers vs watching them on TV.... I don't see how that compares to art you look at in person, some from a distance where you can't really touch it, and the rest in a position where you aren't supposed to touch it vs looking at it on a computer screen in detail so fine that you could never get that close in person, and even if you did, you would need a magnifying glass.

Either way you are just looking at a picture. It is not a reason to not go visit a museum if that is something you want to do, but now that same art is not limited to just those that have the means to travel to where the art is on display. And can be enjoyed by all in a detail that rivals seeing it in person. Far far better than  looking at some small low res pics in a book.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2011, 06:15:46 AM »
why is it that people assume you can't get close to art in a museum....you can get really close to it...you just can never touch it How many people in here actually go to museums? Also, some museums are touch friendly..mainly featuring sculptures.

as far as my books go eh 300 dpi is enough detail. Some books come with photographic inserts in which you could use a magnifying glass. Ever seen a Daguerreotype etched in metal?  They are fucking amazing, nothing your shitty paper photographs or digital camera can handle. Thats right expensive ass late 1800s tech.

Another analogy is when Kevin Smith the director was talking about the difference between watching an actor in a movie, and being on the set and seeing the actor act in the movie in person. Obviously, its a little different when you take editing and what the director of photography sees in perspective, but even that's not the same thing.

just because a picture of a room has air and you can see it, doesn't mean you can breath it. Then again you can't see the air either.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2011, 12:10:25 AM »
Perm I get what you're saying, but your argument is flawed. Not because you are not arguing it well, and to be honest you're not, but because you don't understand the point of this.

I have been to the Van Gogh Museum. I thought it was awesome. But am I excited that I can revisit it from my home? Of course I am. What Google did was give us the other side of the same coin.

In fact, I'm of the belief that this will entice more people to actually go to museums.

But sincerely, this is for the people. A gift-wrapped present for all of us to open and enjoy. How is that so bad?
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2011, 12:21:37 AM »
I'm more concerned that ThePerm high-fived a dude that murdered his family and committed suicide. Having said that, I've high-fived Shawn Michaels, touched the WCW World Heavyweight Championship, and slapped Scott Steiner's shoulder...and I have a photo with D-Von Dudley and his autograph (he lives nearby). What does this have to do with anything? Nothing. But then again...yeah, nothing. I like this museum stuff though.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2011, 01:41:59 PM »
Speaking of art, www.Google.com has a 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea theme today

You steer the sub with the controls on the right.