Author Topic: What is your most recent gaming purchase?  (Read 760373 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: What is your most recent gaming purchase?
« Reply #2100 on: May 23, 2017, 05:37:13 PM »
Yeah, that's the one. It's pretty barebones right now, but they're going to be patching in more content. Between it, Splatoon, and Arms, that seems to be Nintendo's MO with multiplayer-focused games these days.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: May 24, 2017, 04:09:04 PM »
If you buy a game on the Japanese Switch eShop, and then it later releases for the US one, would you get that version for free? Or would you have to buy it again?

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #2102 on: May 24, 2017, 04:34:10 PM »
Yeah, that's the one. It's pretty barebones right now, but they're going to be patching in more content. Between it, Splatoon, and Arms, that seems to be Nintendo's MO with multiplayer-focused games these days.

Apparently the producer in an interview suggested that game will release on our side of the world this summer!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: May 24, 2017, 04:41:52 PM »
If you buy a game on the Japanese Switch eShop, and then it later releases for the US one, would you get that version for free? Or would you have to buy it again?

Most games purchased in one region also show up as purchased in the others when browsing the store, but don't seem to show up in the download list.

J.P. Corbran

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: May 25, 2017, 03:58:39 PM »
Woohoo!  My long pre-ordered copy of Darksiders Warmastered Edition (Wii U) shipped today.

I'm a bit worried about the quality of the port given how long it took to come out, and how dead Wii U seems now... but I'm fascinated by the fact they are actually going through with the release so late, and do rather want to play the game on the same system where I own Darksiders 2.

This surely won't be a big print run; collectors should take note and grab a copy while they are available.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: May 25, 2017, 06:40:35 PM »
I'll bet it took this long because they only had one or two people handling the port. A similar this happened with Hitman on the Gamecube, as one guy managed that port on his own. I'll gladly put up with longer waits if it means we do eventually get said ports and the developer can turn a profit.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: May 25, 2017, 06:52:04 PM »
Probably didn't help either that THQ went bankrupt I imagine? I've no idea if Nordic only bought the IP rights, or did they bring over staff too? Maybe they got a half-finished port or had to re-do a lot of coding. It doesn't have Gamepad functionality like Darksiders 2 right, so maybe you're right Stratos and they had to start the port from scratch without access to the DS2 build or whatever.

Either way, cool that they kept their promise and released it. What other physical Wii U titles are still due out? Axiom Verge, Cars 3, probably another Just Dance iteration..?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: May 26, 2017, 04:49:21 PM »
Woohoo!  My long pre-ordered copy of Darksiders Warmastered Edition (Wii U) shipped today.
Where did you order from? My Amazon order still hasn't shipped and now I'm wondering if they didn't even produce enough copies to fill all pre-orders.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: May 26, 2017, 07:40:36 PM »
Where did you order from? My Amazon order still hasn't shipped and now I'm wondering if they didn't even produce enough copies to fill all pre-orders.

I had ordered from Amazon.ca, probably having placed the order 8 months ago or so?
Sincerely hope there are enough copies to go around.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: May 26, 2017, 09:15:13 PM »
I just ordered it since I wanted to get the prime discount.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: May 30, 2017, 12:11:17 PM »
Picked up copies of Stranger of Sword City (Vita) and Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir (Vita).

The first was quite inexpensive, and I'm a sucker for collecting Vita RPGs.

The latter wan't inexpensive, but is getting harder to find in stores and I don't trust the second-hand market to provide me with cheaper options. Absolutely love the art design in this game, and look forward to playing it.

Wishing I could find some reviews about Darksiders (Wii U) online talking about performance comparisons. Not that it matters much - this is what's available unless I upgrade my PC enough to play the game (unlikely to happen in the near-term). My copy has actually arrived, and I'm hoping to have time to check it out firsthand later in the week.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 12:13:10 PM by ejamer »

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: May 30, 2017, 05:14:55 PM »
Wishing I could find some reviews about Darksiders (Wii U) online talking about performance comparisons. Not that it matters much - this is what's available unless I upgrade my PC enough to play the game (unlikely to happen in the near-term). My copy has actually arrived, and I'm hoping to have time to check it out firsthand later in the week.

Not sure if you've seen this already, but NWR actually has a comparison video on their YouTube. For whatever reason I don't think this was even on the front page of the website?

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: May 30, 2017, 08:18:25 PM »
Not sure if you've seen this already, but NWR actually has a comparison video on their YouTube. For whatever reason I don't think this was even on the front page of the website?

Didn't see this - going to watch it now!
Thanks!

Edit: Hmm... based on the video, sounds like a good port where they didn't half-ass the effort at all. Wii U isn't as powerful as PS4 or XBox One, so slightly downgraded visuals are expected. The mistaken box art claims are easy for me to overlook, because I'm still (pleasantly) shocked they released the game at all.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 08:36:01 PM by ejamer »

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: May 31, 2017, 02:40:32 AM »
Stellaris via Humble Monthly.

The reviews were right in it is missing things. The combat is thin and build options is sort of lacking in a sort of good way. It really cuts down on the fake decisions and upgrading is a breeze.

But it is what it is because it plays in real time so certain things are simplified. It is really smooth to play and not a click fest like most RTS.

The AI isn't a push over even on an even playing field. I pretty much got rekt when the AI showed up with a Titan supported with a ton of ships. It was so bad that I only sunk ship of theirs for my fleet.

The war system is interesting. You have to declare your goals before you fight which determines the number of points you need to score. Score enough you win and a cease fire is automatically set. Definitely something I need to look more into.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: May 31, 2017, 12:10:47 PM »
Did you get any of the DLC as part of the bundle? They've added quite a bit to Stellaris since it came out, some of which was added to the base game with patches and other stuff in DLC expansions. I've been meaning to get back into it.

J.P. Corbran

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2115 on: May 31, 2017, 12:56:15 PM »
No, it doesn't come with the DLC. Humble never has DLC included unless specifically stated. Even with the holes that the DLC plugs, the game is the best 4X since MOO2.

I like civilisation and I like the advanced wars like combat V brought but those games grinds you down with too many micro decisions. The combat is problematic as the units don't have enough movement or you can't swap out which renders artillery or combine arms a chore/ impossible.

Also the cities grow so slowly and it's really hard to get them moving so you just stop making them before the half way mark. Warfare just trashes the cities no matter what you do so you raze a bunch of them keeping enough to keep your army supplied or to fall back to making them glorified forts. The same thing happens with MOO2.

Stellaris on the other hand encourages you to colonise right up till the end of the game by making it really easy to get something going with a universal resource pool combined with the influence system means you can get people out there working and productive in a few short game years.

The conflict system makes wars less of a straight up rocket arena death match. I have lost half my fleet before and recovered by going guerilla warfare which gave my fleet an out size effect as I raided as many worlds and transport fleets I could reach, kitting their fleets to limit the damage. I scored enough points to get a white peace after rejecting their initial offer.

You can still have your "Death stacks" but the real time system makes multiple smaller fleets viable outside of a head on slug fess. It also avoids missing a fleet by one turn rendering a planet into a asteroid belt problem. Not having to build transports is a plus removing a bunch of pointless clicking.

I also really like the sector system as it shows in a glance what systems are managed and makes applying global like bonuses a snap. Linking a new planets cuts the busy work.

Leaders dying are like taxes but you still get a little attached to that scientist who surveyed half the galaxy or the Admiral who died from old age instead of in the glory of battle.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: June 03, 2017, 03:44:22 AM »
Bought Switch Pro Controller.

My father gave me a gift card for local electronics retailer and when i checked they actually had stock of Switch consoles and some accessories. Quite a surprise because Nintendo retailer presence is usually non-existent here.

I wouldn't have bought it otherwise because it costs too much but with gift card carrying most of the price and it being available locally convinced me.

Controller itself is pretty great. I use 360 controller for PC and 360 games and it's pretty great, but Pro Controller is even better: d-pad is actually usable and face buttons are slightly bigger. The only weird thing is placement of "-", "+" and Home and Screenshot buttons -- they're all kinda bunched up in the centre so i often mix them up.

Analog stick are better than on joycons -- Tumbleseed is now easier to play because i can do finer movements.

I read that there is a problem with "up" button randomly pressed when you press left or right. I tested it in system configuration and in Puyo Puyo Tetris demo because Tetris is the game where Up button randomly pressed will do the most damage. No problems so far.

I also tried to connect it to PC via bluetooth adapter. It kinda works and i was even able to play a bit of Bayonetta, but it's kinda weird to use. First of all, button layout gets kinda confusing because when i hold this controller i get into Nintendo mode but Steam's interface and games work by 360 button layout. Also there is a weird problem with deadzones on sticks. Maybe i will figure it out but it's nice to have a backup third pc controller.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #2117 on: June 03, 2017, 10:18:28 AM »
I read that there is a problem with "up" button randomly pressed when you press left or right. I tested it in system configuration and in Puyo Puyo Tetris demo because Tetris is the game where Up button randomly pressed will do the most damage. No problems so far.

Interesting, I know of a couple of people who have gone through four of them because of this issue (and one of them will have an article up early next week about it). You don't have access to Ultra Street Fighter, I presume?
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: June 04, 2017, 12:48:50 PM »
You don't have access to Ultra Street Fighter, I presume?
No.

Switch with Pro Controller allows for the coolest way to play videogames -- in the bathtub. I wouldn't risk playing Switch (or any handheld) inside bathtub but with Pro Controller and Switch in tabletop mode it's possible.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: June 04, 2017, 03:06:46 PM »

Interesting, I know of a couple of people who have gone through four of them because of this issue (and one of them will have an article up early next week about it). You don't have access to Ultra Street Fighter, I presume?
I had picked one up at some point (mainly so I don't have to drop the $70 for it on top of a $300 console at the same time) and I wound up having to return it because when I tested it with my android tablet to make sure there isn't some sort of issue with it I found out that when the the left joystick is in a neutral position it always registers a downward press.

Of course those things are nigh impossible to find so I wasn't able to replace it.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: June 07, 2017, 10:58:36 PM »
Not a purchase but outland is free right now if you want a light Metriodvania that copies Ikaruga's main gimmick.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/305050/Outland/

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: June 08, 2017, 07:36:03 PM »
Payday 2 is free right now. It naturally doesn't come with the DLC but as long as the person hosting has it you can play the maps.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/218620/PAYDAY_2/

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: June 08, 2017, 07:55:21 PM »
I picked up Nanostray 2 and Resident Evil: Revelaitons today.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: June 13, 2017, 03:27:11 PM »
I got a PS4. Went in for the gold E3 special one that was finally at a price I could live with.

Now I gotta save up for a Switch, I suppose.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: July 02, 2017, 06:04:37 PM »
Saw a very cheap original Xbox (with Duke controller), and yo it turns out games are dirt cheap on it as well!
Got lucky that this model had a Samsung drive (the earlier Thomson ones are prone to errors). I opened it up to remove the clock capacitor, which luckily hadn't begun leaking yet. Just snapped it right off, I don't trust myself with soldering irons.
(For those unaware, original Xboxes used capacitors instead of batteries to keep the time. They have a very high fail rate after 10~15 years however, and the acid can wreck your motherboard apparantly.)

Picked up a few games I'd always been eyeing, plus some stuff that never hit the GameCube, all for 25$:
- Panzer Dragoon Orta. This was the title I was most jealous of back in the day.
- Jet Set Radio Future. UNDERSTAND, UNDERSTAND, THE CONCEPT OF LOVE!
- Burnout 3: Takedown. I really liked the 2nd one on Gamecube but we never got this.
- Destroy All Humans. Bizarrely I had a phone game of this way back when, curious about this one.

In the future I may seek out Jade Empire for that RPG fix or some of the other Sega titles like Outrun 2 or Shenmue 2. They also had Halo 2 and a weird Evil Dead game for practically free, but realistically I'm not sure I'm really interested in those.