Author Topic: Two New DSi Colors Announced for North America  (Read 7800 times)

Offline oksoda

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
Two New DSi Colors Announced for North America
« on: August 02, 2012, 08:56:46 PM »

The little hardware revision that could gets a makeover.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/31232

Two new color variants of the DSi are coming to America.

From its official Twitter account, Nintendo of America tweeted a picture of the Matte Red and Matte Blue systems. Along with the picture, the company also indicated that the systems could arrive on store shelves "as early as this week."

This news comes just a few weeks ahead of the launch of the 3DS XL in America.

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
Re: Two New DSi Colors Announced for North America
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 09:27:57 PM »
I might understand if they were good colors, but these are UGLY. I get nintendo wants to make tons of profit so introduce some colors but why these?

Offline Loyb11

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 11:45:01 PM »
I find it really confusing why someone would buy one of these when you can buy a 3DS or 3DS XL and play all of the same games on it.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 02:17:13 AM »
I find it really confusing why someone would buy one of these when you can buy a 3DS or 3DS XL and play all of the same games on it.

You know that and I know that, but Nintendo doesn't want consumers to know that. I could understand it if we were talking about the DS Lite because with that you have the GBA slot and can play GBA games, but the DSi lacks that and has no advantage at all relative to the 3DS.... except maybe better battery life.
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 02:35:44 AM »
I don't think the DSi's battery life is any better than the 3DS's when playing DS games. There is literally no advantage, and it's only like a ~$40 difference, right? Probably a massive difference in the margins, though.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 02:45:14 AM »
I don't see how DSi sales at this point are beneficial to Nintendo. Sure, they make money off the hardware that's sold, but these sales are cannibalizing the sales of the 3DS. Someone who buys a DSi won't be able to buy the new 3DS software. Instead, they can only play old DS games which I'm sure Nintendo still makes money off of, but not much if these games are being bought used or at budget prices, which tends to be the case with older software.

It should be Nintendo's goal to move consumers towards buying 3DS software instead, because this is where they are going to be making the bulk of their handheld money in the next 5+ years. Selling the DSi might be profitable in the short term, but since it cuts into 3DS sales its a bad thing in the long run.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 02:48:01 AM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 03:00:07 AM »
Nintendo lost a lot of money in the first quarter of the fiscal year, and this is an easy way to bring in profits. I don't think it will have as much of a negative impact on the 3DS as you do. I doubt people in the market for a DSi at this point were seriously considering buying a 3DS, and if they did I don't think they'd buy all that much 3DS software.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 09:25:04 AM »
Remember that 9 months after DS released, Nintendo released the GBA SP with brighter screens (AGS-101), the next month they released the Game Boy Micro (which had a really niche market, and they even removed GBC support on it and forced you to buy adapters to use your exiting GBA accessories).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline oksoda

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 09:46:55 AM »
The real reason these are coming out? There's a new Pokemon game arriving in about two months. That will move these.

Offline pololmejor

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 11:50:50 AM »
Even the PS2 sells more than the DSi these days. haha I'm serious I've seen the charts, so why the hell bother on making a new DSi? I don't think there ugly though

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 11:54:29 AM »
The real reason these are coming out? There's a new Pokemon game arriving in about two months. That will move these.

Isn't the DS market totally saturated? How many who are interested in Pokemon don't have a DS by now?
is your sanity...

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 11:59:49 AM »
this is pointless. aren't 3ds available in red and blue already?
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2012, 01:12:56 PM »
Can anyone explain why this is any worse than Nintendo continuing to ship DSi systems period?

Should Nintendo just discontinue the DSi/DSiXL at this point altogether?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• Embrace the status quo.
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2012, 02:17:24 PM »
Can anyone explain why this is any worse than Nintendo continuing to ship DSi systems period?

Seriously.  People talk as if releasing these colors somehow prevents people from buying other systems.  Like "oh well, I was going to buy a 3DS but now I guess I HAVE to buy this new DSi" ?!?!

With a lot of things (DLC, too-soon sequels that render last-year's versions obsolete), people like to say "if you don't want it, it's simple, don't buy it!"  But, they forget that if you don't opt-in, you miss out.  Here, there is no missing out! It's purely an option! So truly, if you don't want it, it's simple, don't buy it!

Plus, some people are always griping about more new colors for every system ever.  Well, here they are!

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2012, 02:19:23 PM »

I don't think anyone is saying that. I guess this just seems weird because it required a conscious effort on the part of Nintendo to introduce these new colors. Continuing to produce old hardware is one thing, but introducing a new variant of that old hardware is something else.

I think a price drop may be in order. Where the DSi might have appeal over the 3DS is as a low price budget alternative. But if Insanolord is right and the DSi is only $40 cheaper that's not really much of a difference.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 02:21:10 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Klonoahedgehog

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2012, 05:02:16 PM »
..... :Q  Why would they do this? For one the 3DS already can play all the DS/DSi games and two:The 3DS came out with the exact same colors!

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2012, 06:32:28 PM »
Even the PS2 sells more than the DSi these days.

I don't think we have US sales numbers, but in Japan the DS is still beating the PS2.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline baba_944

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2012, 09:38:45 PM »
PS2 is discontinued. Last game was MLB2K12 

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2012, 01:03:09 AM »
Wrong, they still make PS2 systems.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2012, 01:31:22 AM »
Also, isn't FIFA and something else due out for PS2 soon?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2012, 03:46:03 AM »
Unlike the DSi there is a pretty valid reason for buying the PS2, thanks to Sony cutting the BC out of the PS3.
is your sanity...

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2012, 02:40:30 PM »
These are what the 3DS XL should have looked like.