Poll

Which N64 game should we play together and discuss on Radio Free Nintendo?

Yoshi's Story
29 (30.9%)
Banjo-Tooie
12 (12.8%)
Wave Race 64
9 (9.6%)
Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber
22 (23.4%)
Perfect Dark
22 (23.4%)

Total Members Voted: 94

Voting closed: September 30, 2010, 11:31:15 AM

Author Topic: Poll for RetroActive #14: N64 Edition  (Read 26956 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Poll for RetroActive #14: N64 Edition
« on: September 17, 2010, 11:31:15 AM »
Notes:

Yoshi's Story, Wave Race 64, and Ogre Battle 64 are available on Virtual Console in every region.
Banjo-Tooie and Perfect Dark have faithful HD remakes available on Xbox Live Arcade.
Of course, N64 cartridges are also great if you have access to them.
Please vote for the game you think is most interesting and/or that you would most like to play along if it wins.

VOTING ENDS ON THE MORNING OF THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 30!
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Poll for RetroActive #14: N64 Edition
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 11:38:26 AM »
Ogre Battle 64.  It won't win (not when Perfect Dark and Banjo-Tooie are in the poll), but it is the most interesting game on that list and one most people never played.  Besides, I could use an excuse to play that copy that's been sitting on my Wii for several months now.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NESticales

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 11:40:02 AM »
I love me some wave race

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 11:57:35 AM »
I think Ogre Battle has more of a chance than some people think, but I gotta go with a game I've been wanting to replay for a while: Yoshi's Story.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline wick

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 12:05:52 PM »
I just started playing Perfect Dark again for the first time in years so that gets my vote.

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 12:18:16 PM »
I'll give my vote to Yoshi's Story. Never played it because of the mediocre reception, but as others have explained elsewhere, there has been some revisionist history on the game that suggests it may be better than originally perceived. Therefore, I think Yoshi's Story would be a good one to look at retroactively.

That, and I'd like to hear a segment that isn't about another bloody RPG. If Ogre Battle 64 is picked, I might just fast forward through the discussion for fear of falling asleep.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 01:06:17 PM »
No Conker? Rats! I guess I will have to go with Perfect Dark.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline FZeroBoyo

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 01:11:37 PM »
My vote goes to Yoshi's Story.  ;D
This is where I would write something witty or funny if I had any ideas.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 01:22:21 PM »
Conker would have been a good choice for the poll. Unfortunately, I think the Xbox remake is significantly different in a number of ways... including being more censored than the original, for some insane reason.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 01:43:25 PM »
I'm not complaining, but I'm just curious why Yoshi's Story was chosen over Kirby 64.  Coming from someone who's never played either game, they always seemed pretty similar to me.  :)
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 02:23:47 PM »
I'm not complaining, but I'm just curious why Yoshi's Story was chosen over Kirby 64.  Coming from someone who's never played either game, they always seemed pretty similar to me.  :)

They're not.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 02:31:30 PM »

They're not.

At all.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 02:38:08 PM »
They're both 2D mascot platformers.  Seem pretty similar to me.

I assume the reason that only Yoshi's Story was included is because Jonny didn't want to include two 2D mascot platformers in the poll.

Look at the breakdown of games in the poll.

* Yoshi's Story (2D mascot platformer)
    * Banjo-Tooie (3D mascot platformer)
    * Wave Race 64 (racing)
    * Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber (strategy/RPG)
    * Perfect Dark (FPS)
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 03:06:32 PM »
Conker would have been a good choice for the poll. Unfortunately, I think the Xbox remake is significantly different in a number of ways... including being more censored than the original, for some insane reason.

There is always the N64 cartridge. However, buying the game would cost any where between $25 to $40 and what ever an N64 is running these days. I just thought that the humor of the game would fit with the style of RFN.

I am sorry for talking about Rare again, but if Perfect Dark wins the poll then a tribute to the hay-day of  Rare and Nintendo would be nice.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 03:16:04 PM by Kytim89 »

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 03:13:16 PM »
I just thought that the humor of the game would fit with the style of RFN.

What do you think this is, Episode 103?   :P:

I didn't know the Xbox version of Conker was censored.  That game was actually on my list of games to acquire sometime to play now that I have a 360, but now I'm not so sure.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2010, 03:54:58 PM »
I didn't know the Xbox version of Conker was censored.  That game was actually on my list of games to acquire sometime to play now that I have a 360, but now I'm not so sure.

Check the backwards-compatibility list; for some reason, I seem to remember that Conker was never supported.

Regarding Yoshi vs. Kirby: it's true that I wanted a nice spread of different genres. I have played Kirby 64 at least twice and talked about it during New Business on an old episode (when it first came to VC). I like the game a good bit, but it's ultimately very similar to other Kirby games. Yoshi's Story has always seemed like a unique experiment from Nintendo, and the graphical style makes it perhaps just as pertinent to the upcoming release of Epic Yarn as Kirby 64 would be.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2010, 04:00:43 PM »
I can't in good conscience vote for anything but Perfect Dark when it's an option.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2010, 04:18:44 PM »
I just thought that the humor of the game would fit with the style of RFN.

What do you think this is, Episode 103?   :P: :

Conker just seems like a good game that the RFN crew could talk about for two hours.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2010, 06:08:35 PM »
This is the first poll where I'd be fine with any of the options (and not only because it's the first poll where I own all the games). I guess I'll go with Perfect Dark though, it's still my favourite Nintendo 64 game, and it could be interesting to talk about what the game meant for its time, and how the genre has evolved from here -- and how it hasn't.

To add a little more about Conker's Bad Fur day, the original N64 game does have some censorship, but the XBox version has more so. In the original, the F-bomb is always censored, and so are some instances of the S-word and a certain C-word. Generally, the one-liners in the multiplayer modes are the ones bleeped out, and the ones in the single-player adventure's cutscenes are not. There's also a scene with male nudity that's pixelated. From what I read, the XBox version censors all instances of the S-word, as well as other words like "twat" and "tagnut," and probably some others. It may also pixelate the scene with female nudity, but I forget. I find a tinge of irony to the XBox version containing more censorship, as historically, Nintendo are the ones who apply censorship to their games.

That's all minor though, the biggest difference is the multiplayer mode. The XBox version has an all-new multiplayer mode, and contains none of the multiplayer content featured in the Nintendo 64 game. It could also be played online, though I have no idea if that's still possible. The final stage of the single-player adventure was also cut from the XBox version, which gives it a different ending.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2010, 06:11:35 PM »
Check the backwards-compatibility list; for some reason, I seem to remember that Conker was never supported.

It is BC: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/backwardcompatibilitygameslist.htm

Going with Yoshi's Story. I enjoyed renting it as a kid and have always thought the game gets a little too much hate. It's not one of my favorite games, but it was fun to play we could have a good conversation on it.

Mop, Conker was not a Nintendo game. Rare developed and published the game on their own. All Nintendo did was help promote and advertise it.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 06:13:23 PM by TJ Spyke »
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2010, 06:17:36 PM »
I meant games that appeared on their system. Nintendo used to have rules of what could and could not appear on their system, especially during the NES days. The game censoring the F-bomb may have also been due to Nintendo's influence; considering the content in the game it seems strange to be concerned with just that one word.

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2010, 06:21:04 PM »
I'm pulling for Perfect Dark on this one.  It seems like we've had a lot of RPGs and platformers, so this would be a nice change.  I'm probably one of the few N64 owners who loved this game more than Goldeneye.  Unfortunately, back when I played it, I had the 3rd party RAM expansion, which was a big mistake.  The game locked up on me all the time, especially on the outdoor level where Joanna is being chased by some sort of floating droid. 
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2010, 06:41:12 PM »
Mop, they basically stopped censorship rules after the ESRB was created in 1994.

I think people were shocked when the PS2 version of BMX XXX was censored while the GameCube version wasn't.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2010, 07:18:42 PM »
The two No More Heroes games dropped the F-bomb a whole lot and they got away with it. When I played Conker I got a very strong South Park vibe and considering that the game was released when South Park was getting strong.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2010, 08:12:53 PM »
One cool thing we could do if Perfect Dark wins is have the people playing the XBLA version, which I imagine would be a lot of the participants, is play the multiplayer together on Xbox Live. A kind of RetroActive meets NWR WiFi Night thing.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent