Poll

Which N64 game should we play together and discuss on Radio Free Nintendo?

Yoshi's Story
29 (30.9%)
Banjo-Tooie
12 (12.8%)
Wave Race 64
9 (9.6%)
Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber
22 (23.4%)
Perfect Dark
22 (23.4%)

Total Members Voted: 94

Voting closed: September 30, 2010, 11:31:15 AM

Author Topic: Poll for RetroActive #14: N64 Edition  (Read 27071 times)

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
Re: Poll for RetroActive #14: N64 Edition
« Reply #75 on: September 27, 2010, 01:42:21 PM »
I can tell you this. It was close when Jonny posted that. It's not so much anymore.

It's actually still pretty close right now.  First place is ahead by a few votes and there's a tie for second place.  It's still anybody's game.

Anybody who hasn't voted yet--like me--really should.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2010, 02:50:31 PM »
The results are extremely close right now. I think this is probably the most even field we've ever had.

That's what was said in the last poll, only to find out in the end when Mother 3 won by a landslide that the previous comment was less than honest (as admitted to in a post after the results were posted).  I made the mistake of believing you last time.  Not this time though.  :cool;

If you're accusing me of lying, and then claiming that I confessed to it, please provide links to those posts. I don't recall either such incident. I have no reason to mislead anyone when it comes to these polls. If I wanted to influence the results that much, I would just rig the vote or select the game myself to begin with. I honestly want it to be a democratic process. Hell, I don't even vote myself because I have too much knowledge of the vote counts.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 27, 2010, 03:03:57 PM »
If you're accusing me of lying, and then claiming that I confessed to it, please provide links to those posts. I don't recall either such incident.

You claimed in an episode of RFN (recorded before the poll ended) that the vote was close and then Neal later said in the poll thread that the vote was never close.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 27, 2010, 06:02:15 PM »
If you're accusing me of lying, and then claiming that I confessed to it, please provide links to those posts. I don't recall either such incident.

You claimed in an episode of RFN (recorded before the poll ended) that the vote was close and then Neal later said in the poll thread that the vote was never close.

That's taken out of context, sir. Also, Aaron said it, and then I agreed but also said it was close for a time.

I don't think Jonny was lying when he said it, because it was close for the early goings. As you know, RFN is recorded on Thursdays, which is three days before it goes live. A lot can happen in that time.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 28, 2010, 01:27:23 AM »
Eh, the GBA poll wasn't very close at any point. 

Regardless, GET ON THE TOPIC.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 28, 2010, 01:12:35 PM »
That's taken out of context, sir. Also, Aaron said it, and then I agreed but also said it was close for a time.

Don't blame me!  I'm not the only complaining (for once).  I was just answering the question posed by Jonny.

Personally, I think Jet Pilot is still bitter about Mother 3 winning the last RetroActive.  As I recall, he was strongly against the grayish-nature of playing the game.

Offline NWR_Karl

• Red Velvet
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 28, 2010, 03:48:18 PM »
The fix is in! RFN = Chicago Politics!
----
Karl Castaneda
Associated Raconteur

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 28, 2010, 04:10:19 PM »
I
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 04:19:17 PM by Kytim89 »
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 28, 2010, 04:16:14 PM »
I imagine Jonny Metts taking a crowbar and busting open  the voting box and pouring in ballots for Ogre Battle or Yoshi's Story into the box. I could easily imagine a 2000 style election debacle coming  and I see Perfect Dark as the Al Gore of Retroactive # 14.

Smiting due to political argument-baiting, especially since you got it wrong (it's Al Gore who was taking a crowbar and...oh nevermind).
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 04:18:00 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 28, 2010, 04:18:43 PM »
I imagine Jonny Metts taking a crowbar and busting open  the voting box and pouring in ballots for Ogre Battle or Yoshi's Story into the box. I could easily imagine a 2000 style election debacle coming  and I see Perfect Dark as the Al Gore of Retroactive # 14.

Smiting due to political argument-baiting, especially since you got it wrong (it's Al Gore who was taking a crowbar and...oh nevermind).
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #85 on: September 28, 2010, 04:30:59 PM »
I don't think Jonny was lying when he said it, because it was close for the early goings. As you know, RFN is recorded on Thursdays, which is three days before it goes live. A lot can happen in that time.
Yeah, when I said "never really close", I wasn't counting the first day or two since not that many people had voted yet.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 28, 2010, 06:40:11 PM »
Yeah, when I said "never really close", I wasn't counting the first day or two since not that many people had voted yet.

Yes, all games start at zero, so technically they're all close at one point.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 30, 2010, 01:41:19 AM »

Dude, that doesn't even make sense with any game as any candidate....but maybe I'm just thinking too much of fitting the games to the political opponents.

The only title I would rather not see win is Wave Race. Playing it again and talking about it really doesn't interest me. If Yoshi's Story wins I may bring my sister on to comment since it was her First Game Evar! Impressions like that from a kid playing it as their first game could be interesting.

We've talked about her getting her own account here because she has voiced interest in the past. I only worry because she is 12 and if she stumbled into the funhouse...
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #88 on: September 30, 2010, 12:31:53 PM »
Stratos, here are some helpful tips for your sister:

- Don't publicize that she is your sister.
- Don't publicize that she is 12 years old.
- Don't publicize that she is female.

Then she'll have a good time on the forums!
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #89 on: September 30, 2010, 12:42:47 PM »
Yoshi's Story is the winner! Thank you very much to everyone who voted. Tentatively, we'll plan to discuss the game on Episode 214, so start now if you want to play along. I'll create a separate thread for Yoshi's Story discussion.

Personally, I'm a little surprised by this result (originally thought Banjo, Ogre Battle, or Perfect Dark might win), but I'm also excited to play this game for the first time. It seems like a good fit for RetroActive: overlooked, somewhat controversial, and thankfully, not too long! ;-) It's also a neat tie-in with Kirby's Epic Yarn.

For those wondering about how the voting progressed, it was a virtual three-way tie for the first week or so, with Yoshi slowly pulling into the lead over the second week. Since there's a tie for second-place, both Ogre Battle 64 and Perfect Dark will return in our second-chance poll, which should be coming up very soon.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #90 on: September 30, 2010, 12:44:30 PM »
I liked the game when I rented it as a good. It wasn't one of my favorites, but I look forward to playing it again and talking about it.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 30, 2010, 12:48:44 PM »
I guess that's a couple weeks of RetroActive I have to tune out, as I couldn't care less about Yoshi's Story.  I am pleasantly surprised at how well Ogre Battle 64 did, though.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 30, 2010, 12:59:54 PM »
I rented Yoshi's Story back in the day, and I was suitably unimpressed.  Perhaps time will have changed my opinion when I try it again.   It also seems appropriate since Kirby's Epic Yarn will be released soon; I'm sure that many comparisons will be made between the two games, anyway. :)

I almost switched my vote from Perfect Dark to Ogre Battle at the last minute; I'm sort of glad I didn't.   Both games deserve to go to the second chance poll.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #93 on: September 30, 2010, 02:25:41 PM »
Due to the nature of the game, we will probably streamline the on-air Yoshi's Story discussion to a single week, with the option to read some additional forum comments the next week.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 30, 2010, 03:57:57 PM »
I think you should make a live feed of James' play sessions.  I'd like to hear his reactions in real-time.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 30, 2010, 04:55:25 PM »
Sondoulos, I've beaten the game twice. I've played it a bit in the last month. I doubt highly that I'll spend much time with it. It's about as simple a title as they could have created.

James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 30, 2010, 06:44:07 PM »
I'm surprised at this result, I didn't think anybody cared about Yoshi's Story. I never thought it was a bad game, but the way the story mode is set up is really short, and the game is easy if you don't go for high scores. They also seemed to target the game at young players instead of the usual "for everyone" approach of most Nintendo titles. It does have a unique art style though, and a variety of stages, some more clever than others.

This isn't bad timing though. I just got Yoshi's Island, so I'll try to get in a little playtime with that so I can compare the two.

Stratos, here are some helpful tips for your sister:

- Don't publicize that she is your sister.
- Don't publicize that she is 12 years old.
- Don't publicize that she is female.
I can't emphasize that last one enough.