Author Topic: Super Mario Odyssey - No spoilers or I'll punch your face in!  (Read 22334 times)

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
Super Mario Odyssey - No spoilers or I'll punch your face in!
« on: October 21, 2017, 10:12:37 PM »

Q. What are spoilers?

Unknown kingdoms, boss fights, endgame stuff -- man, I don't even want to know what the main character's name is!

===

Seriously, though! YAHOO! Super Mario Odyssey returns the 3D Mario series to a sandbox formula first introduced in the genre-defining Super Mario 64. The game comes out for Nintendo Switch this Friday, so let's have a hype topic and post our impressions of the in-store demo at various stores selling games (GameStop, Best Buy, Walmart, Target, etc.) as well as impressions once the game actually releases!

The game was but revealed a year ago during the Nintendo Switch reveal trailer, and its official unveiling at this past January's Switch presentation, so while it hasn't had as much time to generate hype like Breath of the Wild did, I'm still extremely excited and hyped for the game.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Super Mario Odyssey - No spoilers or I'll punch your face in!
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 10:49:00 PM »
So, you don't want to know about the big lava world at the end of the game? [spoilers]I don't actually know if there is a lava world in this game or at the end but it's a Mario game so I think I have a good shot at being correct on that one. Lava, a Giant Castle or both would be my guess for the end.[/spoilers]

Like Phil, I'm going to try to avoid spoilers since, unlike BotW when I dived in on Day 1, I won't be playing this until next summer most likely so I'd like to try and keep some surprises in it under wraps.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 11:58:53 PM »
I'm just particular about stuff not shown yet. It's only a week away (sorry you have to wait for so long, Khush) so I want to try to have everything else be a surprise. :D

Offline Traveller

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 01:22:37 AM »
The game seems like its going to be massive, feels like it'll take a long time to finish..
Nicholas Bray - Australian Correspondent

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 01:26:35 AM »
I'm just particular about stuff not shown yet. It's only a week away (sorry you have to wait for so long, Khush) so I want to try to have everything else be a surprise. :D

Don't feel too sorry. It's by choice. I could buy a Switch and Mario if I wanted to in order to play it on release but I've got other stuff I want to focus on and considering how sucked into BotW I was on its initial release, I don't want to tempt myself by owning Odyssey right now.

Offline Mipha

• Hylian Shield
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 05:23:17 AM »
With the game leaked and videos and screenshots everywhere, that's going to be hard.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 01:11:16 PM »
Alright I'm going to live in a cave now.  I already spoiled too much from the leak, but apparently the game is so massive they're not even close to finding everything so I'm going to quite now before all the content is revealed.

Watch out when viewing Youtube if you're used to watching Nintendo related video's.  Some asshats are already posting video's with massive spoilers in them that will show up on your recommended list.  Just the titles alone could be considered major for some people.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 03:29:21 PM »
I played the demo today at Target. It's amazing. Yes, I played for about 2 minutes...but, if I were to review it right now...10/10.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2017, 09:45:50 PM »
Should we all decide on a date to start talking spoilers or just make a separate thread?
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2017, 10:17:53 PM »
There should be a spoiler thread.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2017, 10:22:58 PM »
Well, I don't remember if the forums have spoiler tags. That would be neat-o sweet-o for people to hide text behind or image links while still being able to talk about unrevealed parts of the game like kingdoms, bosses and so forth. The stuff I mentioned is the only thing I don't want to get spoiled on. By hiding it in spoiler tags, it would make the topic a happy, cool, awesome place for everyone to talk about the second of the big Switch releases this year from Nintendo.

EDIT: Or a spoiler thread. Which ever is easiest! :)

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2017, 10:37:24 PM »
Yes, we have spoiler tags.

I feel the way the discussion was handled in the BotW thread was really well done. The community can be proud of it. People were posting all kinds of impressions and experiences from the game but everyone seemed to have a pretty good grasp of what might be spoiler-y for others currently playing and put that info behind spoiler tags while the rest of the info and unspoilered text was in regards to general things that people were going to already know about or weren't of huge significance. After awhile, some of the early spoiler tags were no longer spoilers since a lot of people would have encountered them or the info about them was already being made known so we could stop spoilering some of the discussion and after the first two months, you could pretty much post whatever you wanted and it was other people's own fault for getting spoiled at that point.

I have faith the community here will be able to use that same level of smarts when discussing Odyssey whether it is in this thread or another thread. We could do a spoiler thread if you want to try out the idea. Any forum user can create such a thread if they want to.

With the game leaked and videos and screenshots everywhere, that's going to be hard.

Not really. I didn't even know there was a leak until I saw your post. I basically just get my Nintendo information from here or the Nintendo Directs these days. I still check in on IGN for its headlines and news but that's about it.

Watch out when viewing Youtube if you're used to watching Nintendo related video's.  Some asshats are already posting video's with massive spoilers in them that will show up on your recommended list.  Just the titles alone could be considered major for some people.

Same goes for YouTube. I hardly use it and, if I do, it's usually for a pop culture reference or to listen to some music. I don't watch Nintendo related videos on it. Honestly, the biggest way I often got spoiled in the past was with Nintendo Power. We'll see how blissfully unaware of game elements I end up being by the time I get around to playing it but, at the moment, I think I'm up to the challenge.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2017, 11:31:06 PM »
NP would at least give you awesome walkthroughs as apologies for most of its life.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2017, 12:16:22 AM »
I heard that after the starting area you can go right for Bowser, but you should probably free the four champions first. Also, the weapons are breakable.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2017, 01:00:32 AM »
I heard that there's a star that makes you invincible for 10 seconds but if you want to be invincible longer than you have to pay a dollar for every 10 more seconds you want to stay invincible.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2017, 01:29:32 PM »
Peach dies at the end!

But really, I know next to nothing about this game, so it's gonna be pretty great going into it. Even the TV commercial showed me a few things I didn't know existed.

Should we all decide on a date to start talking spoilers or just make a separate thread?
I'd vote for a spoiler thread myself. Not everyone is going to start playing this on release, and people play at different paces, so there isn't really going to be a good date where everyone has played through the game.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2017, 01:43:37 AM »
The review embargo is up 10/26 at 9 AM (EST).

Also, my Best Buy will be opening at 11 PM (CST) for both this and Assassin's Creed!

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2017, 04:16:28 AM »
I'd vote for a spoiler thread myself. Not everyone is going to start playing this on release, and people play at different paces, so there isn't really going to be a good date where everyone has played through the game.

Ah, but will people show discretion in a spoiler thread? By it's title, does that not imply they can post whatever and not bother with spoiler tags? With the leaks and other players progress levels, maybe you want to check in to ask a question or see how people are doing yet you may not want to be spoiled on some later stuff. How will you be able to use the thread to do that and retain your ignorance (ha ha :D) when people can be posting anything about the game? At least with the Zelda thread, posters knew to use discretion and think carefully about the info they were revealing or not and it allowed players who bought it Day 1 or weeks later to be able to jump in that thread or peruse and still have a lot of the mystery left. Of course, there's going to be some info posted so people know that going in but a lot of discoveries were left hidden for people.

That said, let's test the idea of a spoiler thread out. This can be the non-spoiler thread for people to post in and I'll create a spoiler thread (which I have no intention of reading anytime soon so you can all talk behind my back as much as you want :( ) and we'll see if it is worth doing for other future releases and how well it works out.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2017, 09:12:01 AM »
My copy of Odyssey just unlocked.  Looking very nice too. 

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2017, 02:00:52 PM »
I've heard this game is a shot-for-shot remake of Super Mario RPG. Is that true?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2017, 02:49:42 PM »
Ah, but will people show discretion in a spoiler thread? By it's title, does that not imply they can post whatever and not bother with spoiler tags?
First, to be clear, I think the Zelda thread went fine. I'm just curious how a separate thread will work out.

I was envisioning a spoiler thread as more of knowing it as a place where there will be spoiler-y talk, not necessarily that it will be unmarked. If you look at the Zelda thread, it has lots of posts, and someone beating the game later could have trouble going back and reading some of the thoughts about, say, the ending, and having trouble starting a conversation about it. Maybe a spoiler thread will make it easier for people to have discussions about later-game stuff without sifting through posts.

Whether people mark spoilers or not, I'm at least envisioning people prefacing their posts with the section they're going to talk about, so people know what they're getting into by reading it and know if they've played that part. Is that clunky? Maybe, I'm not sure. I know there are still some problems with the idea and we don't have to do it with every game, but we'll see how it works out and it may not be a bad idea to do with larger games like this. After all, I feel like some games are too large for just one thread, so it's more about sorting categories for a game.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2017, 08:45:47 PM »
I've only just barely gotten past the title screen, and already I can say that this is easily the best game released within the past ten years.

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2017, 01:20:43 AM »
This game is just amazing, contender for best game of all time easily. The sense of discovery and wonder tops even Mario Galaxy. Its so fresh and yet so familiar, Nintendo is back full force no doubts.
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2017, 02:53:08 AM »
I'll be your 1up girl...

This gives me the sense of adventure that Sunshine did, but even better!

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2017, 07:38:17 AM »
Got the game at 11 pm CST on Thursday night from Best Buy. Have since played 7 hours in two sittings! Help! I'm having too much fun! The final event in New Donk City was awesome!