Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 696705 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #1325 on: July 09, 2017, 09:22:33 AM »
Currently playing Mad Max for ps4. It started off kinda slow, but then got really good. It has a lot of the stuff I liked about Black Flag as the focus. The only complaint I have so far is the frame rate slowdown in a specific region of the game.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 09:35:07 AM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: July 09, 2017, 11:20:57 AM »
Cheating a bit here since I haven't actually started yet, but later today planning to start Trauma Center 2: Under the Knight (DS). Big fan of the series on Wii, but haven't played on DS before. Imagine the gameplay transfers over well - and wasn't it originally a DS series anyway? Looking forward to playing.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: July 10, 2017, 08:00:51 PM »
It was originally a DS series. TC1 was on DS and then ported to Wii as Second Opinion. Then we got TC New Blood on Wii and TC2 on DS. Lastly there was Trauma Team, which broadened the subject to other areas of medical science (one or two were meh, but there were at least 4 modes that were fun).

All of them were quite fun, and I liked to co-op features that were offered on the Wii Versions. I never finished any beyond the first, so I'll have to take some time to dig back into them.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: July 11, 2017, 10:30:59 AM »
I've been playing Cave Story on Switch. I've owned the game in several forms over the last decade, but this is the first time I've played a significant way into the game, and I'm really wishing I'd gotten around to it sooner since I'm enjoying it so much. Satisfying action and just enough exploration/puzzle solving to add flavor without being too frustrating. I love the subtle stuff like the machine gun jet pack mechanic.

Between this and Minecraft Switch is turning into a system where I actually play things I've been meaning to get around to for years, with Shantae probably next on that list.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: July 11, 2017, 03:10:21 PM »
Playing Tokyo Xanadu on my Vita. It's basically a less-stylish (but much less stressful) take on Persona w/ real time combat. I completed CH. 2 last night, & so far it's clicking w/ me.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: July 11, 2017, 03:18:42 PM »
I've been convinced to pick up Minecraft yet again on Switch, thanks to the promised parity updates and some friends who want to play, so I'll be joining the Minecraft-Switch bandwagon soon.

Planning to pick it up when the update hits in hopes that is when the physical version drops, though I'll go digital if it doesn't drop in August.
My Game Collection

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: July 11, 2017, 03:45:36 PM »
I'm playing Red Steel 2 because modern video games are garbage.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: July 11, 2017, 05:35:58 PM »

Picked this up a while back for cheap and of course never looked at it since because I'm planning my 15 minutes of reality TV fame on the show Hoarders. How is it though? I heard the first one was utter tripe, but the second one looked decent and cartoony. D'you think it delivers on the promise of Motion Plus?

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: July 11, 2017, 06:43:43 PM »
Got Retro City Rampage on the Steam sale. Funny as heck, some good challenges, but too many frustrating ones. Kept trying out new styles of gameplay every so often, but never takes the time to do them well or better than before. I respect the quality of work done and variety, but I wouldn't say it's great, just very good.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: July 11, 2017, 08:48:52 PM »

Picked this up a while back for cheap and of course never looked at it since because I'm planning my 15 minutes of reality TV fame on the show Hoarders. How is it though? I heard the first one was utter tripe, but the second one looked decent and cartoony. D'you think it delivers on the promise of Motion Plus?

I remember it controlling well, but I never got far into it. One of these days I'll go back to it and play it all the way through.
My Game Collection

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1335 on: July 12, 2017, 08:05:24 PM »
In all seriousness, Red Steel 2 is an enjoyable action game. Much more reliant on swordplay than gunplay, which I personally found surprising, although I can understand why the release of the MotionPlus caused this design philosophy.

Each "chapter" is divided into a large, interconnected portion of the city that the Drifter inhabits, and there are multiple side missions, currency, and collectibles to be found scattered throughout these areas if you don't want to move on to the next story beat. I was surprised by how well-designed these environments were, and I like that there are specific areas in which enemies repeatedly spawn so you can practice your combat skills.

About a third into the game, you unlock the parry function, which becomes pretty crucial henceforth. The one-on-one engagements with tougher enemies are quite good, and even in groups, there are special unlocks that can allow you to bounce between multiple combatants and really control the battlefield. That's not to say the game isn't difficult- there's a number of enemies with very punishing moves that execute quickly and can take off chunks of health. But by exploring areas and gathering currency you can try to stay ahead of the enemy progression.

I'm about two-thirds of the way through the game and I'm pleasantly surprised by how good it is. The story is forgettable, but the gameplay is very tight. Lots of sensitivity options, although the downward slash killing blow does require a bit of energetic swinging to execute, which is actually quite satisfying in its own way. The game very much reminds me of Zombi U in several ways, so your mileage may vary in that respect. However, I am quite fond of that game.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: July 12, 2017, 09:13:24 PM »
Been playing the PS4 version of Transformers: Fall of Cybertron off & on. I loved this game back on PS3 and...yeah, it holds up. I'm still not a huge fan of this game's art style, but damn if it doesn't have some fantastic sequences.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: July 13, 2017, 01:36:03 AM »
I only played a few hours of Red Steel 2 but it was fantastic from the get go.

Game literally starts with you strapped to car and then getting dragged through a dry bottom of channel while shooting and slashing debri.

I think the director of Red Steel 2 is still at Ubisoft and he did that For Honour game.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: July 15, 2017, 12:02:49 PM »
I picked up Prey 2017 on the Prime Day sale, and it's surprising me. I HATED that demo, mainly because the demo was 90% loud noise & flashing lights, which has been SIGNIFICANTLY lessened in the current patched version. I'm really diggging the exploration & how it isn't as restrictive as Dishonored or something like Deus Ex.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: July 15, 2017, 03:08:45 PM »
Half-genie heros are the catalyst unto which that will move me to get games, and thusly I got Blaster Master Zero. I have no nostalgia for the original Blaster Master. I'd sooner play Gimmick! or Batman than Blaster Master, if i'm to be quite honest.

That being said, I think Inti-creates has done a wonderful job here and managed to impliment some of Shantae's abilities than even Wayforward has in some of their games (Elephant Shantae is probably my second least favorite Shantae transformation, and OH man is it incredibly useful in Blaster Master thanks to good implimentation!). I also feel like all these DLC characters are immediatley better than Jason on the sheer fact that there's no fall damage rediculous bullshit going on.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: July 15, 2017, 05:17:07 PM »
Last game I beat - Breath of the Wild...currently playing - Breath of the Wild.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: July 17, 2017, 04:31:55 AM »
I've been playing Death Squared , which recently came out on the Switch eShop. It's designed for multiplayer but I've only had the chance to play solo so far. It still works really well that way, though. The game involves getting a pair of blocks to their respective goals, navigating a series of hazards that require precise coordination to get through.  I'm enjoying it a lot, but I'm only about a quarter of the way through the puzzles and they're already getting fairly challenging.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: July 17, 2017, 01:52:31 PM »
I know I'm pretty late to the playstation party....

bought Last of Us: Left behind on sale for $4.99

then bought Last of Remastered for 19.99....found out I could have just bought Last of Us Remastered and it would have came with.

Damn Sony store not being explicit or smart about bundling. I had almost did the same thing with Never Alone, but by the time I was sure on how I should purchase the game the sale was over.

So, I wasted 5.99 and 20GB of space. When I'm done with the game I'll sort out the hard drive.

After several days of gameplay hours I beat Mad Max. I have nearly everything. It was really fun.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: July 20, 2017, 09:08:31 AM »
Although we beat the final boss a long time ago, we just passed the 50% mark on Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Wii U) last night. No way this is getting to 100%.

With one Divine Beast left to free, and plenty of small quests that we might (or might not) try to resolve, aiming for 60% seems reasonable. It really feels like a game that could be played for much longer if we wanted.

Additionally, Trauma Center 2 (DS) is hard as balls. I remember the Wii games being tough... but feel like this one is a step further. Maybe I'm just getting old.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: July 22, 2017, 10:48:37 PM »
It's not just you. I got to the final hidden levels of the first Trauma Center and beat most of those, and TC2 still knocked the stuffings out of me halfway through.
My Game Collection

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: July 24, 2017, 10:45:50 AM »
With all the Injustice 2 I've been playing lately, I thought I'd pick up MvC3 Ultimate off the PSN sale. Yeah...that was a mistake. I could not have bounced off that game harder. I forgot that this was one of those ****ing elitist fighting games that insisted in coding the move lists in terms of "L, M, H, S", not " Square, Triangle, Circle, X". Sorry, but it's hard enough remembering fighting game move lists without ALSO having to add in the extra step of translating B.S. fight stick controls.

Seriously, take the extra effort & code the move lists in understandle console-specific button callouts.

I also finally took up & completed an old challenge: beat Kingdom Hearts 1 Final Mix in under 15 hours with only the starting equipment & no deaths. Yeah...even if Kingdom Hearts 1 was a good game (and it's not), that still wouldn't be fun. I had forgotten how absolutely, stupidly brutal parts of that game are.

Still have to do a real run of that game where I'm not skipping all the cutscenes as part of my "replay all the KH games in Chronological Order" project before KH 3 releases.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: July 25, 2017, 12:03:17 AM »
I'm trash at Splatoon 2.

Also, I couldn't connect to an online match, but my Switch was connected to the internet, and I had just downloaded updates on 3DS and Wii U. I'll try to figure that out tomorrow unless anyone here has any suggestions other than unplugging my modem/router and plugging it back in.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: August 03, 2017, 10:17:12 PM »
I looked over my Amazon pre-orders and I realized that I have four games scheduled to come out this year (I'm mildly skeptical that Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is still a 2017 game) so I'm making a concerted effort to complete Cave Story+ on Switch before returning to Breath of the Wild.

F you, Machine X. I'm past what I presume is a pretty pivotal section in which I lost Curly Brace. I have no idea how much longer this game is. Overall, I can see why it has a following. Cave Story+ is good, and it's impressive that the original was developed by a single person. I'll give more in-depth thoughts once I complete the game.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: August 04, 2017, 12:00:22 AM »
Been playing a lot of Sundered. I like it, but it's WAAAAAAAAY more combat-focused than you'd expect for a Metroid game. It's absurdly punishing unless you just grind out your stats.

Just started playing Pyre. I found Bastion mediocre & Transistor just awful, but I'm digging this strange hybrid of a visual novel & basketball.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: August 04, 2017, 12:15:15 AM »
Tumbleseed Four Peakes update:

I tried out the update yesterday and yeah it's much easier now.

However i noticed that professor started asking me to do quests i've already completed so maybe my progression was erased or something. Not a big deal -- they probably re-balanced that too.

PS i tried to post in relevant Talkback thread but it wouldn't let me.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks