Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1548525 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #5625 on: August 21, 2017, 08:33:06 PM »
The Wizard of Oz books are so good. I started reading them a few years back, but stopped when I got too busy at work.  Might pick them up again.

I actually read the first one AT work. I worked at a call center, and for a month I was put on this weird discount project where we only got about single call a day. For the most part the internet was blocked out, but I could read google books. I read Wizard of Oz and a few Life Magazines from the 40s-60s. Turns out people whining about teenage girls dressing risqué was always a thing. Also, was interested to read WWII events from the perspective of the time and not filtered to us through modern media.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #5626 on: August 22, 2017, 10:27:05 AM »
Wonder Woman
Saw this about two months ago. I didn't think Wonder Woman was as amazing as reviews made it out to be. It's good, not great which is comforting since the previous two Detective Comics Comics movies were subpar. From what I remember, Wonder Woman's three biggest sins:

1. There's an unnecessary amount of slow-motion. Felt like Patty Jenkins tried to channel Zack Snyder. She isn't Zack Snyder, and that's a good thing. Snyder can direct an action scene well and like literally nothing else. I don't know if she was pressured into adhering to the aesthetic of Batman v Superman (or felt like she had to as part of a shared universe). Honestly, I think Jenkins is better than the final product. If she returns for the sequel, I'd like it to feel more her own.

2. The third act is the weak link. The plot twists were not as shocking as the writers thought they'd be. The villain delivers a fairly lengthy exposition dump. The villain is also not great, mostly due to being absent until the third act.

3. Maybe this is related to the above. My girlfriend said, "Of course, a female superhero would use love to defeat her enemies." I disagreed. I felt like Wonder Woman used love because it's the opposite of war which is less ridiculous but still ridiculous. It's lazy writing. I didn't buy the love story. Diana and Steve knew each other for a few weeks at best (depending on how long Steve was in Themyscira).

Spider-Man: Homecoming
Saw this on Sunday. Excellent. Spider-Man is my favorite superhero, and this is now my favorite Spider-Man film. I saw Spider-Man 2 again a few years ago, and it hasn't aged well. What it gets wrong, Spider-Man: Homecoming gets right. It doesn't dwell or even mention Uncle Ben. It never puts Aunt May or a (potential) love interest in mortal danger. Besides external antagonists, the film looks inward. It addresses Peter's internal conflict better than any previous Spider-Man film. Peter has a very believable character arc. He begins by spending his days counting the hours until he can be Spider-Man again, and ends by learning that it's a balance. Spider-Man isn't his life, merely one part of it. In a way, being Spider-Man is a sacrifice. Peter learns Uncle Ben's famous words without it being force fed to the audience.

I struggle to find any major negatives. Michael Keaton was an excellent villain. His motivation is refreshing, especially as far as Spider-Man villains. If I had to nitpick:

1. Explaining the Ferris Beuller reference. It was well-done until Watts cut to a TV playing Ferris Beuller. The 1989 Batman reference was great though.

2. Zendaya as "MJ" was just Joseph Gordon Levitt as "Robin". Either commit to it or don't. I wouldn't have had any problem with Zendaya playing Mary Jane Watson. I'm not a comic book purist so I generally don't care about changing a character's appearance such as race or gender as long as it doesn't matter. This is a little complicated for something that's ultimately inconsequential. Mary Jane Watson is a boring character. She's a love interest or damsel in distress depending on which lazy writing serves the story when she shows up, and supermodel hot because comic books. Generally speaking, while I think it's worth changing a character to make her more interesting, I wonder if that change makes it not worth referring to her as the same character anymore. So she's "MJ" but not the MJ. They went half-way with it though I don't really know why the connection even had to be there. Still, I liked Zendaya in the film. She did a good job. Michelle was funny, interesting, and the kind of off-beat that better fits Peter. And they set her up for future installments really well. She was present yet unobtrusive which is really good long-term storytelling. Nice try attempting to make Zendaya frumpy though. You can frizzy-up her hair, but she's still hella good-looking.

Again, really minor quibbles.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #5627 on: August 26, 2017, 09:55:29 AM »
Wind River - 8/10
Pretty decent movie. Definitely worth a watch if you're into crime movies, though it's not like a heist or something (it's actually way worse). Really good acting.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5628 on: August 30, 2017, 10:49:57 AM »
I watched the BluRay of Batman & Harley Quinn and...wow, that was pretty bad. I can't make up my mind if I hate this movie, or if it's just a colossal disappointment. It's a wacky comedy that's not funny, & Big Bang Theory lady waffles between being a passable Arleen Sorkin knockoff & just being awful. The art is also amazingly inconsistent. In the same scene, I've seen Batman's head go off-model & out-of-proportion multiple times. While it was neat seeing some character designs from Batman: TAS return & Conroy & Larzo sound like they never left as Batman & Night wing, this movie's just a huge letdown. You're better off watching the classic B:TAS EPs "Harley's Holiday" & "Harley & Ivy" that are on the BluRay.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #5629 on: August 31, 2017, 11:21:06 AM »
kaley cuoco has never being a good actress... wait, looks up *imdb* ehh Melissa Rauch? That is a surprise, her big shtick on BBT is that she does good and consistent voices.

She hasn't done much else other than riding BBT hard as it looks like it is 95% of all the work she has ever done. I don't think she is going to get much work post BBT.

Maybe they got her for the Star Power??? Honestly Conroy is the big draw only equalled by Hamill.

But her performance wasn't good as she completely over does the accent and it didn't have any playfulness to it. You could tell immediately it was bad even if your memory from TAS was hazy. It was like she was still doing Brenadett. The script was pretty alright making up.

I liked the humour but I enjoy what can be considered puerile or crass. The story enjoyable using the characters well within the situation they were in. But there was a lot of tonal whiplash which lessened as Batman loosened up a bit.

But wow people were using real guns and not "lasers" with people dying left and right.

The ending had me laughing pretty hard as they intentionally deflated it and used what would be an obvious solution into a joke one. The post credit is pretty funny.

It is irrelevant, funny in the right mindset, pokes fun at the duo, Harley is good even if her voice was terrible. It was enjoyable for what it is. It's no Harley's Holiday" & "Harley & Ivy" but those are some of the best episodes of the series making it hard to measure up to.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #5630 on: August 31, 2017, 08:51:19 PM »
Yeah, I suppose there's just stuff about this movie that rubbed me completely the wrong way as someone who loves Batman: TAS. For instance, why is THIS incarnation of Harley a total slut? Seriously, WTF is going on with Bruce Timm? After all the crap he got for shoehorning in a sex scene between Batman & Batgirl in Killing Joke, he decided to double-DOWN on it by having Harley & Nightwing have bondage sex with weird tickle stuff afterwards? Not to mention, all the gratuitous swearing, Harley's butt being like twice the size it's ever been, & that breast thrust & shake she does in the bar scene.

Then there's the scene at the bar, where the entire movie just grinds to a halt for, like, 7 minutes (an eternity in animation time), for 2 musical numbers that contributed nothing to the movie (outside a nice Rob Paulsen duo performance). This whole movie is just so tonally inconsistent with even the version of Batman in Mystery of the Batwoman (another B:TAS comedy).

This movie was billed as a tribute to one of the greatest animated series ever made, & it failed at that. Consider, for a moment, the Return of the Caper Crusaders movie, which was a tribute to the Adam West Batman series. He goes evil in that movie, but he's so hilariously dorky as an "evil" person (he basically rants at people about how useless they were in the 60s show until they turn over power to him in shame) that it's hilarious AND consistent with that version of Batman.

Batman in B&HQ is a dumbass, Nightwing's a Playboy, & Harley's a slut. Just rubs me the wrong way, and it reminds me of the infamous line from Jurassic Park: "You people were so caught up in if you COULD do something that you never stopped to think if you SHOULD."

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5631 on: August 31, 2017, 09:22:03 PM »
I haven't heard the performance, but I can't lay too into Melissa Rauch. The problem with these fly by night OVA movies is voice actors don't sink into the roles. Just look at the Simpsons. It took Dan Castellanetta a while to perfect Homer. Nobody has quite captured Arleen Sorkin because the character was tailored around her. Margot Robbie did more of her own thing.

I'd imagine Melissa Rauch would sound like Betty Boop trying to do a Harley Quinn.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aoj5qIZvwWA

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #5632 on: September 01, 2017, 12:01:23 AM »
Aside from just wanting a big(?) name, though, I don't get why they recast Harley. The role's been Tara Strong's ever since Arleen Sorkin retired. And after playing Injustice 2, it's pretty clear that she's finally mastered it. Her voice actually sounds natural now.

https://youtu.be/0o0-TcB4zg4

By comparison...the new girl...

https://youtu.be/QgE0k_V5VrA

I wonder if Tara had some contractual reason she couldn't be in this.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5633 on: September 01, 2017, 12:19:57 AM »
Yeah, I suppose there's just stuff about this movie that rubbed me completely the wrong way as someone who loves Batman: TAS. For instance, why is THIS incarnation of Harley a total slut? Seriously, WTF is going on with Bruce Timm? After all the crap he got for shoehorning in a sex scene between Batman & Batgirl in Killing Joke, he decided to double-DOWN on it by having Harley & Nightwing have bondage sex with weird tickle stuff afterwards? Not to mention, all the gratuitous swearing, Harley's butt being like twice the size it's ever been, & that breast thrust & shake she does in the bar scene.

Batman in B&HQ is a dumbass, Nightwing's a Playboy, & Harley's a slut. Just rubs me the wrong way, and it reminds me of the infamous line from Jurassic Park: "You people were so caught up in if you COULD do something that you never stopped to think if you SHOULD."

Don't go there! PULL UP, PULL UP!!

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #5634 on: September 01, 2017, 12:32:42 AM »

That's what she (Harley) said. :P

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5635 on: September 01, 2017, 12:33:39 AM »

That's what she (Harley) said. :P:

You went off the deep end, not cool, very not cool.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #5636 on: September 01, 2017, 12:39:59 AM »

Hyperbole aside, I'm just fed up with Harley's depictions outside the animated series. In almost every version except Injustice 2 & Lego Batman, the creators take this playful, psychotic, sympathetic character...and they sex her up. It really bugs me. Starting with the 1st Arkham game & ending with this film & suicide squad, and her depictions have grown increasingly crude & sexual, along with her outfit. It's something that's bugged me for years considering this was a goofy character created for a children's cartoon who eventually became a symbol (of sorts) for domestic violence.

Just sayin', is it really too much to ask for this character to be treated with something akin to class...especially considering (once again) that this is supposed to be a tribute to the very series that created her?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 12:42:07 AM by broodwars »

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5637 on: September 01, 2017, 12:41:05 AM »
You already did the damage mate.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5638 on: September 01, 2017, 04:27:50 AM »
Oh yeah, doesn't do the accent right. She sounds more like Lois Griffon. Melissa Rauch is also really nasally.  I kinda feel like I could do the voice better. It's pretty close to my talking to cats voice.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 04:30:26 AM by ThePerm »

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #5639 on: September 01, 2017, 04:37:21 PM »

Hyperbole aside, I'm just fed up with Harley's depictions outside the animated series. In almost every version except Injustice 2 & Lego Batman, the creators take this playful, psychotic, sympathetic character...and they sex her up. It really bugs me. Starting with the 1st Arkham game & ending with this film & suicide squad, and her depictions have grown increasingly crude & sexual, along with her outfit. It's something that's bugged me for years considering this was a goofy character created for a children's cartoon who eventually became a symbol (of sorts) for domestic violence.

Just sayin', is it really too much to ask for this character to be treated with something akin to class...especially considering (once again) that this is supposed to be a tribute to the very series that created her?
Don't you want to rev up your Harley? *vroom* *vroom*

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #5640 on: September 01, 2017, 06:19:09 PM »
That line, IIRC, is from a single scene in Mad Love (the same scene where Harley emerges from a pan of pudding singing a variant on the Birthday Song, in the most suggestive moment of the entire show). Yeah, that's extremely suggestive, but that's the point: it's suggestive. It's innuendo. And it's also in an episode explicitly about the long, kinky, destructive relationship between Joker & Harley. That puts it already on an entirely different level than what Batman & Harley does. B & H can just explicitly show the thing B:TAS would hint at in metaphor & innuendo...so it does.

It's also one scene in one episode of the Final Season of Batman: TAS (a season that was notorious for pushing its luck with the censors) and that's as far as the show ever went with that. Even Return of the Joker, as messed-up as THAT movie is, was classier than that.

So yeah, maybe it sounds petty, but this movie's take on Harley bugged me.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 06:21:00 PM by broodwars »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #5641 on: September 01, 2017, 07:59:58 PM »
Has Bruce Timm has went nuts and is now some sort of cartoon fetish pervert? Maybe he always was.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5642 on: September 01, 2017, 08:38:35 PM »
So yeah, maybe it sounds petty, but this movie's take on Harley bugged me.

You don't sound petty, you sound something far more insulting I just can't put a word to right now.

Has Bruce Timm has went nuts and is now some sort of cartoon fetish pervert? Maybe he always was.

Like the violence I think he knows that the audience for B:TAS has grown up and given the opportunity has pushed the boundary. If anything I don't think he has pushed it at all as you wouldn't blink twice if this happened in a live action movie.

It is still a heck of a alot better than The Dark Knight Returns with all it's military hardware Batman uses pretends to not kill anyone.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #5643 on: September 02, 2017, 12:47:09 AM »
You know nothing, Jon Snow!

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5644 on: September 02, 2017, 11:06:52 PM »
Fiend without a Face 6/10 - Entertaining. It has some stuff in common with Forbidden Planet. It makes me wonder if the comic watchman had some inspiration from this movie. Or even Twin Peaks.

The Thing from Another World 8/10 - excellent set design. An aged movie, but still a classic.

The Thing 82' 10/10 - I've probably rated it before, but it may just be my favorite movie.

The Thing 2011 7.8/10 - This movie does a particularly good job of recreating what happened to the Norwegian camp of The Thing. Interestingly enough, because of this, it is somewhat of a remake of The Thing From Another World as what happened in the Norwegian camp is pretty much the same as what happened in The Thing From Another World. This movie is marred by bad CGI. It's a shame as they made the film practically and the suits decided to cover it up  because it  "looked too much like a cheesy 80s sc-ifi film." It has some good acting, but lackluster pacing. It doesn't quite capture the excellent depiction of paranoia of the 82 version. Like the Thing it is an imitation of the real thing. It is also quite thin that you can see there was another draft of this movie where Childs and Macready  traveled to this camp, but that was changed in favor of a backstory for The Thing 82' (which is a better choice)

The Blob 58' 8/10 - That ending hit's home pretty hard nowadays. I said "awww ****!"
at the end of the movie the airforce drops the blob off in arctic. One of the lines is something like "i guess we'll be fine as long as theres ice in the north pole!" Then it ends with a The End? 

The Blob 88'  8/10 - Good ass effects. It was interesting to watch them back to back.

They Live! 8/10  - Consistently relevant.

Leviathan 7.8/10: A fine example of an 80s creature feature. Stan Winston does the effects.

The Deadly Spawn 8/10 - Despite some budget shortcomings this movie has a lot going for it. The monsters look pretty good. This one also has a more exploitation bent, which is nice.

Harbinger Down 6.5/10 - Great effects, not so great movie. The movie could have used a better director of photography. Though watch this movie immediately after watching Life 2017. It makes it a little better. You could watch them pretty continuously. Even though i'm sure most people would never notice that.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 09:09:29 PM by ThePerm »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #5645 on: September 09, 2017, 01:11:51 AM »
IT - 9/10
Just got back from seeing it, the theater was packed, in fact they oversold the 9:00 and people (including my brother and myself) had to wait for the 10:00. This could be due to the impending doom of Hurricane Irma (I live on the east coast of central Florida), I'm not sure if any other theaters were open. Anyway - the cast was amazing, not just for being kids, but they were truly excellent. When I first saw pictures of Pennywise I thought they were going to ruin the movie by trying to make him look scary, and I was wrong. The Tim Curry version of Pennywise (while excellent) would not have worked as well in this movie - they made the right decision. The movie does have some genuinely scary parts - sure they're mostly jump scares, but not all of them. If you've seen the trailer or anything, or the old movie, then this isn't exactly a spoiler, but I was actually shocked to see that they actually show Pennywise kill Georgie in the beginning, and it's pretty graphic too, that's not something you see very often in movies. I guess you could also consider this a spoiler, but not if you've read the book or have seen the Tim Curry version, but when the credits begin to roll, the title appears on the screen, but this time it says "IT Chapter One" so you know there's a sequel coming - which is the second half of the book...also it's already been announced anyway. I highly recommend going to see it.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 01:15:50 AM by BranDonk Kong »
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5646 on: September 18, 2017, 05:41:41 PM »
Mother! - What on earth did i just watch? This just fell off a cliff into insanity really quickly. I can't really construct a view on this movie. It's utterly weird. Khush, anyone, ANYONE else please watch this.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5647 on: September 18, 2017, 06:47:38 PM »
How weird is it?

Is it like Under the Skin weird? Hiroshima Mon Amour weird? Un Chien Andalou weird? Jean Luc Godard's Weekend weird?

I was kind of interested in the movie based on the cast and director but the posters and plot description really didn't seem to provide much detail to go on as to what it might be about or what it might be like. When I saw a trailer for it last month, it just killed my interest. Besides the whole setting looking like it is in a poorly lit house the whole time, the plot of some woman perhaps going mad from strangers with the obtuse mystery of what is behind this mystery just seemed like a weak story to care about or make me motivated to watch. Seeing all the negative reviews and reactions wasn't much of a surprise to me since the trailer alone gave me a negative reaction in seeing the film but I am surprised at how highly publicized the negative reaction has been.

I'd probably never get around to watching it if it wasn't for the fact that plugabugz has semi-requested that I do so. Now I'm seriously considering checking it out. Peer pressure's still got it!
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #5648 on: September 18, 2017, 09:57:38 PM »
All i know about the movie is that it got a Cinema Score of F
JLaw got a pretty good payday out of it, and she is dating the director.
also that it was so WTF.... that no one apparently liked it. Not sure if it's because the trailers didn't depict the movie or there was just no way to convey the movie in the trailers anyway.

But definitely a late night Netflix before I go to sleep movie.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5649 on: September 19, 2017, 08:16:07 AM »
How weird is it?

Is it like Under the Skin weird?

Under The Skin was weird but in an alien "i'm not of this place" kind of way. You could see it in Scarlett Johannsen's eyes - everything to her was of a foreign land (not counting that she was in Scotland, but you know....).

Mother! is just weird because there's several huge leaps, in time, logic, plot and overall point.

One example was after both characters just slept together, she wakes up in the morning and tells him she's pregnant. He asks how do you know, she says "i just know". The next scene you see her with a baby bump and she's decorating the room for the baby. That to me suggested a timejump, but other "time ambiguous" events happen.

Clearly the marketing didn't know what to do because the trailer shows Jennifer Lawrence and even suggesting that Michelle Pfieffer is the real antagonist of the film - she isn't, both her and Ed Harris only appear in the middle run then promptly vanish. From THE scene (it's the scene when PLOT SPOILER HERE she has the baby and He takes the baby downstairs to the crowd who promptly kill the baby and then carve him up to eat); from that point to the end) the movie just goes completely apeshit.

If you strip out the religious allegory layered through the film it's ultimately about a couple in which the woman does all the work but the man gets all the praise and attention from literally everyone, and her love for him is completely and utterly undeserved.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 09:57:50 AM by Plugabugz »