Author Topic: Switchmas Eve Rumors and Speculations Thread  (Read 671034 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: NX Rumors and Speculation Thread (#Team2017 Wins Again!)
« Reply #1325 on: May 19, 2016, 05:08:14 AM »
That will be a big factor. All signs point to the NX as a handheld/console combo, which if the case could not be considered the successor(although that would make it the successor to both). Resources put to full dedication will end all software droughts. Also, improved hardware is going to be a big blessing as well. Ps4 and xbox one leapfrogged Wii U when most of us expected people to not know the difference. A new system means they can manage ports a little better and this will make third parties happy. With any luck NX will get some easy ports of oher console hardware.

Transferring the content of Wii to Wii U worked pretty well. I wonder how they'll do it with Wii U and NX. I have most my stuff on flash drives. I hope I can for the most part just transfer it over by linking accounts.

what would also be nice is if it had access to other stores outside the eShop.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 05:13:02 AM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: May 19, 2016, 09:10:27 AM »

Nintendo already has a digital storefront on Amazon.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: May 19, 2016, 01:05:16 PM »
What about the N64, and it's 33 million units shipped versus the PlayStation's 120 million units shipped? If the Wii U enjoyed a similar marketshare in this generation it would have sold.... about 14 million units... so maybe not? Yet the N64 and its software library was highly influential in so many ways despite the userbase ratio it experienced.

Perhaps there's a magic number at some point, like 35 million consoles, at which the user base is large enough in gross terms that marketshare might be irrelevant. That's a low mark to hit fiscally, obviously Nintendo's money counters want to sell more than that and return to Wii-like levels of profitability.

But for the sake of argument, IF Nintendo could make oodles of money at 35 million hardware units sold, AND garnered visible-if-not-complete third-party support, would 35 million hardware units sold give it enough of a platform to freely exercise their ambitions, make the games they want, and inspire a whole new generation of players?

Deep down I feel Nintendo's only true goal is to make money.  They're better than like EA for example but they'll still release the odd half-baked title to make a quick buck.

I think the N64 was in a specific position that other Nintendo consoles since then haven't been in - it was following up the most popular and best selling console of the prior generation (I suppose the Wii U could say the same thing but the Wii was not popular with the traditional gaming audience).  It wasn't like the PlayStation kicked it's ass right away.  It took a bit of time and games like Final Fantasy VII to do it.  At the time there was a pretty logical assumption that the N64 would keep the Nintendo train rolling.  At least on a personal level I remember that most SNES owners I knew bought the N64 because the Nintendo brand had served them well up until then so why not keep with it?  They transitioned to the PlayStation as it became obvious that the N64 was starving for games and most of their favourite devs from the SNES had moved to the PSX.  So the N64 was in an odd position where it probably had a fair sized chunk of owners who were not pleased with the machine itself and those N64 owners then did NOT buy a Gamecube after becoming disillusioned with Nintendo.  I find that the more well known N64 games among non-Nintendo fans are titles released earlier in the console's life - in other words the games everyone played before they switched to a PlayStation.  Later titles like Majora's Mask, Perfect Dark, Paper Mario or Conker are much less known then Mario 64, OoT or Goldeneye.  You could say the N64 had a period of time where it was the main focus of gamers but the Cube and Wii U pretty much never did and thus have virtually no influence.

Offline MysticGohan

• I have a large position in nVidia.
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: May 19, 2016, 01:38:18 PM »
I don't believe Emily Rogers on anything, besides that she slept with aguy to get a scoop... yeah, integrity she is not.

For everything she made been right, there's 100x she's been dead wrong on her predictions.

I believe she's wrong on the nvidia integra chip, and I think she's wrong on the arm deal.

I believe the NX will be x86 architecture, would make sense if ports were to be an easy endeavor.

It's possible the handheld would have the arm, assuming if it's not a hybrid. Guess we'll find out at some point.
Everytime you open your mouth you prove you're an idiot. ~Vegeta

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

I could go into a Wendy's res

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: May 19, 2016, 02:21:49 PM »
Oh, Mystic. You've been away too long that you've missed the Emily Rogers Rule on this forum. No mentioning the sex.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline KeyBilly

• Donkey Kong is here!
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: May 19, 2016, 02:37:13 PM »
The question of influence (jumping right over the other drama in this thread) seems linked to perception as much as sales.  The Wii U was seen as a failure, despite many people owning it, so the games tend to be ignored in the bigger picture.  Despite Nintendo saying that they aren't competing with Microsoft and Sony, they release consoles that are essentially the same, so they are measured by the same standards.  In that respect, the Wii U was hardly worth considering.

If the NX is a portable that can stream video and accept wireless controller input, that would put it in the same class as any modern phone or tablet.  The only difference is that Miracast has more lag than Nintendo would presumably accept.  Still, having this sort of setup would necessarily mean compromising on hardware power.  Nintendo could play games with the numbers, since it would be comparing very different architectures, but the downgraded ports (or lack thereof) would make the reality clear.  The reason I bring this up is that many would not consider it a "real" console, and that might help Nintendo.  Without the expectation of direct competition with the other consoles, the measure of success would be different.  It might be for the best, assuming Nintendo can pull off the marketing of this new thing.

The other aspect is scope.  Nintendo tends to churn out their franchise games with polish, but not much innovation.  They used to push the industry forward because they were passionate about their field and the company structure supported that.  Mario Galaxy and Splatoon are modern examples of that, and I hope more room is made for those games.  Having only one platform to develop for, or two if you consider phones, might allow teams to take more time and chances.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #1331 on: May 19, 2016, 08:40:01 PM »

Nintendo already has a digital storefront on Amazon.

And their own webstore, complete with automatic sale adjustments.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: May 20, 2016, 01:25:22 AM »
The question of influence (jumping right over the other drama in this thread) seems linked to perception as much as sales.  The Wii U was seen as a failure, despite many people owning it, so the games tend to be ignored in the bigger picture.  Despite Nintendo saying that they aren't competing with Microsoft and Sony, they release consoles that are essentially the same, so they are measured by the same standards.  In that respect, the Wii U was hardly worth considering.

If the NX is a portable that can stream video and accept wireless controller input, that would put it in the same class as any modern phone or tablet.  The only difference is that Miracast has more lag than Nintendo would presumably accept.  Still, having this sort of setup would necessarily mean compromising on hardware power.  Nintendo could play games with the numbers, since it would be comparing very different architectures, but the downgraded ports (or lack thereof) would make the reality clear.  The reason I bring this up is that many would not consider it a "real" console, and that might help Nintendo.  Without the expectation of direct competition with the other consoles, the measure of success would be different.  It might be for the best, assuming Nintendo can pull off the marketing of this new thing.

The other aspect is scope.  Nintendo tends to churn out their franchise games with polish, but not much innovation.  They used to push the industry forward because they were passionate about their field and the company structure supported that.  Mario Galaxy and Splatoon are modern examples of that, and I hope more room is made for those games.  Having only one platform to develop for, or two if you consider phones, might allow teams to take more time and chances.

As far as sales->influence goes, it's a pleasant bit of arm chair theorycraft, so I doubt my musings have much value. That said, I'd peg 35 million hardware units as the minimum number GROSS to consider for a Nintendo console exercising influence on the market. But in addition to that, I'd expect that number to also represent a third of the market. In today's generation, a third of hardware sales would pace to 24 million sold at this point in time, which I don't think the XBox One has hit either.

It's interesting what you say about perception KeyBilly. I've been talking about influence share in terms of console hardware sales numbers, but if we look at the bigger picture then we have to accept that influence across the population should also take into account handheld and mobile. The rise of the smartphone and what it means for handheld gaming cannot be ignored.

My above musings may be even more non-sensical taking that into ccount, and then even MORE so if NX will eventually have a separate handheld unit as part of the platform that will eventually replace the 3DS in the ecosystem.

In that sense maybe Nintendo has an even steeper hill to climb to wield influence AND demonstrate a viable market for both game makers and game players.

Nintendo seems to be tacking into Mobile as an important partner experience (not replacement) for their core gaming experiences. I'm not quite sure right now how I'd measure how Nintendo affects videogames as a whole when mobile is added to the equation. After all, the smartphone market uses vastly different metrics to describe itself and its player base.

Taking this expanded field in accout, Nintendo is definitely not the sole torchbearer for gaming, not that they ever were. But they're probably just one player among many adding to the diverse sphere of gaming. In order to be a large champion for their values though, I definitely feel like 35 million NX Home Console units sold wouldn't be enough to push that forward.

I guess the elephant in the room is wondering what the size of the future for console and handheld dedicated gaming hardware is next (half?) generation. Is the challenge to reverse a shrinking of that market, or is the challenge to seek out a different way of evaluating, coalescing, and accessing a player base?
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: May 20, 2016, 03:13:47 AM »
Oh, Mystic. You've been away too long that you've missed the Emily Rogers Rule on this forum. No mentioning the sex.

Hey, I've slept with women for a lot less than an insider scoop. No judgements needed to be passed.
I'm sure those that were judging her have done more to (still not) get laid than she gave up to get a scoop. so #fuckthehaters
but I still don't put no stock in any rumors I've heard so far. But it would be nice to if someone consolidated them down so we know what they all are. It seems quite a few contradict each other, but I haven't really been paying much attention, so I could be way off.

Offline MysticGohan

• I have a large position in nVidia.
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: May 20, 2016, 03:27:25 AM »
I never liked Emily Rogers, and I even called her out on IGN back in the day when she was totally off rails :p
Everytime you open your mouth you prove you're an idiot. ~Vegeta

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

I could go into a Wendy's res

Offline trevasweet22

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1335 on: May 20, 2016, 04:15:18 AM »
Whatever NX turns out to be, I hope it lives longer than the Wii U.

Why can't Nintendo release that Zelda Wii U game that's been delayed for how many times already...:(

I'm pretty worried about their announcement regarding Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem going mobile...considering Japan is very much thriving on mobile games nowadays, and we are just starting to catch up, and still have some kind of disgust towards it. Maybe cause we're still solid console/handheld/PC fanatics as of the moment and anything mobile = gross.

Offline supermario2k

• Totally not The Rat. Really.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: May 20, 2016, 01:33:01 PM »

As far as sales->influence goes, it's a pleasant bit of arm chair theorycraft, so I doubt my musings have much value. That said, I'd peg 35 million hardware units as the minimum number GROSS to consider for a Nintendo console exercising influence on the market. But in addition to that, I'd expect that number to also represent a third of the market. In today's generation, a third of hardware sales would pace to 24 million sold at this point in time, which I don't think the XBox One has hit either.

It's interesting what you say about perception KeyBilly. I've been talking about influence share in terms of console hardware sales numbers, but if we look at the bigger picture then we have to accept that influence across the population should also take into account handheld and mobile. The rise of the smartphone and what it means for handheld gaming cannot be ignored.

My above musings may be even more non-sensical taking that into ccount, and then even MORE so if NX will eventually have a separate handheld unit as part of the platform that will eventually replace the 3DS in the ecosystem.

In that sense maybe Nintendo has an even steeper hill to climb to wield influence AND demonstrate a viable market for both game makers and game players.

Nintendo seems to be tacking into Mobile as an important partner experience (not replacement) for their core gaming experiences. I'm not quite sure right now how I'd measure how Nintendo affects videogames as a whole when mobile is added to the equation. After all, the smartphone market uses vastly different metrics to describe itself and its player base.

Taking this expanded field in accout, Nintendo is definitely not the sole torchbearer for gaming, not that they ever were. But they're probably just one player among many adding to the diverse sphere of gaming. In order to be a large champion for their values though, I definitely feel like 35 million NX Home Console units sold wouldn't be enough to push that forward.

I guess the elephant in the room is wondering what the size of the future for console and handheld dedicated gaming hardware is next (half?) generation. Is the challenge to reverse a shrinking of that market, or is the challenge to seek out a different way of evaluating, coalescing, and accessing a player base?

I think history will show us that the magic number is closer to 40 million. Sega Genesis sold just shy of that and it remains a staple in the gaming industry. The Sega brand has been tarnished beyond all hope for repair but for the better part of the 90's they were unstoppable in terms of influence and mindshare. They didn't achieve the same sales numbers as Nintendo whose 90's consoles combined did a total of what 90 million for the decade? But they did have mindshare, they did influence the market even if it cost them every damn penny they had to do so.

SNES was pretty strong in the market but people forget that it struggled at first too. Many people, gamers, gaming press, developers, flocked to Sega due to the Anti-consumer practices of the NES ere. Nintendo fought to win people back with the SNES, only AFTER Sonic came along and kicked Mario in the groin. Arguable this proved very strong motivating factor for them because that was around the time they started hyping All-Stars and gearing up for the influx of Rare stuff. For a while Sega and Nintendo were going back and forth for marketshare but Sega had the mindshare locked down. They blew it beginning with 32X and never recovered.

In order for Nintendo do make that big of an impression they could do it with closer to 25 million if they had to, that is just north of what Xbox did and they seem to have made a lasting impression with their original console. So the numbers are arbitrary anyways it's more about mindshare and presence and Nintendo has a LOT of work to mend their mindshare problems. Even people like me, Ian, etc, who DO love Nintendo are finding it increasingly difficult to say good things about them. There was a time not six years ago where I would have defended Nintendo to death and wished Playstation would go away. I changed my mind, I don't want to root for Nintendo for the sake of it I want them to succeed and have the  games I want but if they can't do it and Sony can then fine I will support Sony. I personally don't mind owning two consoles, been doing it since SNES-Genesis anyways.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: May 20, 2016, 01:50:04 PM »
I think one thing for mind share that really helps is that you come across as going upward.  The original Xbox didn't sell nearly as well as the PS2 and not that much better than the Gamecube but it had good mindshare and the Xbox brand was strong going in to the next gen where the Xbox 360 ended up being the console of choice for core gamers.  That's because it was a brand on the rise.  It was a brand new competitor that managed to not finish last and carved some space in the market for itself.  I think Xbox owners were generally pleased with their purchase as it was a great first effort.  Meanwhile the Cube was less successful than the N64.  Nintendo ended that gen going downward.  They lost marketshare and ended in a worst position than they started.  People are going to be more likely to back your brand if it's growing.

Last gen the Wii outsold the PS3 except the Wii's last few years were a barren wasteland while the PS3 ended on a high note having done a great job of climbing back into relevance after a horrible start.  You can see that momentum or lack thereof having a direct effect in the initial sales of the Wii U and PS4.  Despite the raw sales figures being in Nintendo's favour the Wii brand name meant little and the PlayStation brand name meant a lot.  I would see the NX as a success if the feeling going in to the next generation will be that Nintendo is on the upswing and things will only get better.  They could have the lowest sales and still be in a decent spot if there is confidence in the brand and confidence in their future.

Offline supermario2k

• Totally not The Rat. Really.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: May 20, 2016, 02:06:34 PM »
I have a good feeling about NX just like I did Wii. What makes me optimistic it will sell well to the audience is if this two machines in one approach pans out. The lack of games, or rather the need to buy two  machines to get all the games, is what hurts Nintendo the most. They have mindshare in the market with DS and Youtubers, they just are a laughing stock in the console business. But many gamers, myself included, grew tired of the need to buy two machines to get all the games. I haven't bought a handheld since the DS Lite launched.

With a unified machine where I can get ALL the games Nintendo makes there is a much stronger chance the machine will sell to the larger fanbase. Unlike, pay attention Perm, people like me who WILL buy it anyways because I am a Nintendo nut and can't live without my Mario games.

Case in point and where Ian seems to be mostly half right.
Take going from SNES to N64. For the most part the games left Nintendo and went to Sony. Half true. Except they didn't LEAVE Nintendo they migrated to the handheld. Okay so I could still get a very good Mega Man, Castlevania, Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, TMNT, Metroid, Zelda, etc, on the handheld plus gems like Pokemon and those amazing DBZ games. Well yeah if you bought BOTH machines you could get a decent library. Well with SNES you could get a really great library on the console and if you wanted more pick up a Super Game Boy.

Game Cube sorta had this with Game Boy Player but GBA wasn't quite there yet. I see the same parallels with a lot of the e-Shop stuff, games designed to play like retro handheld games or retro SNES/NES games. The problem is we don't get the exact same games but a lot of them DO make it to the DS brand. Well with DS finally catching up to where the handheld games are good enough then if there was a shared library, or even a way to play 3DS/DS games on the Wii U, it would have sold better. How much more I am not sure but so many of the games that used to grace the console that have migrated to Sony, not just literally but also the spiritual successors or modern takes on the concepts, well that makes it harder to justify the console. But when every game that gets made is on one machine people are more likely to buy that one machine. If you sell a machine that is a home console at home but the controller can detach and become a handheld on the go and you get all the same games, the Pokemon, and the Monster Rancher, etc, then you have an ace people will buy.

The reason people went to Playstation was the games went to Playstation but they never left Nintendo they just left Nintendo's consoles. This won't exactly ensure they make it to the new "platform" as it means starting over and many western devs have left the portable machine behind as well. but there is hope that the machine could sell better especially if they could sell the handheld separate for those that just want it and ensure more games get made but mandate those games scale up to or are playable on the console, most problems are solved.

The other issue is not giving consumers an excuse to not buy your machine, in other words don't give them fodder for jokes that will turn into bad press and lower mindshare. Wii sold well but not to gamers, it sold well as a second console to gamers sure but most dismissed it. Game Cube sold terrible to gamers, it only appealed to die hards and a few stragglers who got it cheap because it was inexpensive and had most of the major games.

But honestly I think the world really isn't big enough for three and in order for Nintendo to truly succeed Microsoft has to exit the space and give them room to breathe, because Sony depends on Playstation they are sticking around MS leaving is Nintendo's *best*, but not only, chance.

Offline Parallax Scroll

• View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: May 20, 2016, 08:37:23 PM »
For now, I do not believe Nvidia will be providing a Tegra SoC for Nintendo NX.

I still think it'll be from:

I'll let you guys figure out what some of the smaller logos on the bottom are, and why they're there.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: May 20, 2016, 09:49:24 PM »
whos from 3d realms? the art x people were from SGI

Offline Parallax Scroll

• View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: May 20, 2016, 09:59:56 PM »
not 3d realms,  Real3D. 

another verion of their logo:

You are correct about artx and SGI.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 10:10:17 PM by Parallax Scroll »

Offline Parallax Scroll

• View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: May 20, 2016, 10:15:21 PM »
not 3d realms,  Real3D. 

Hint: They used to be the graphics company owned by an absolutely massive U.S. defense corporation. Real3D designed the graphics tech for arcade hardware, for Nintendo's major *rival* in the early-mid 1990s.  When Real3D shut down, ATI got most of their graphics engineers & patents.   Of course, ATI eventually merged with AMD, where many of these people from those older graphics companies still work.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 10:18:16 PM by Parallax Scroll »

Offline Parallax Scroll

• View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: May 20, 2016, 10:21:28 PM »
not 3d realms,  Real3D. 

Hint: They used to be the graphics company owned by an absolutely massive U.S. defense corporation. Real3D designed the graphics tech for arcade hardware, for Nintendo's major rival in the early-mid 1990s.  When Real3D shut down, ATI got most of their graphics engineers & patents.   

Of course, ATI eventually merged with AMD, where many of these people from those older graphics companies still work. No doubt, they've all contributed, more or less, to the last ~14 years of Radeon graphics cards (everything from 2002's Radeon 9700 Pro, forward) home consoles with ATi/AMD GPUs, etc.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 10:27:05 PM by Parallax Scroll »

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: May 22, 2016, 02:02:17 PM »
Frothing fanboy speculation incoming:

Hey guys, what's everyone's feel for what NX might be DESPITE the fact that we know nothing yet and no one agrees on which rumors are trustworthy?

I've seen some crazy speculation out there, but I actually think the NX will be much less bleeding-edge except for it being a shared architecture/platform at the development level for both the handheld and the console that will be Nintendo's way to leverage developers for one platform to develop for the other, try to present things as a two-for-one deal.

That is to say, the NX is a "platform" where Nintendo will release a Handheld version of it, and a home console version of it. They will technically have different game libraries, but Nintendo's tools and development environment behind the scenes will allow for developers to output builds for either platform at the flip of a switch. In this way developers, both Nintendo and Third Parties, practically just scale a game up or down if they want to support BOTH hardware units.

The software libraries WILL be different (it sounds too complicated to truly and completely share them what with the need for up-down scaling, and if you imagine that both would have to run off the same physical game cart/disc), and the hardware may even use different media (one carts, the other discs). However, there will be some nifty cross-buy stuff that Nintendo makes available to encourage people to own both consoles and use both. Additionally, the home console version would come with the ability to stream the handheld version to the screen (Built-in Super GameBoy basically), OR use the handheld hardware as a de Facto Wii U-esque GamePad for two-screen play. This is also how we'd finally get multiple Wii U GamePad type play locally. This would mean the home console would launch with a traditional controller since all the two-screen Wii U stuff would be activated by buying a handheld unit.

I'm NOT sure that backwards compatibility fits into this picture for the Wii U's physical library though... which would be a change-up for Nintendo.

Basically, the idea behind this is that if you want the home console for stronger performance and some console-only offerings, you can get it. And if you want the handheld unit, you can get that. They both are so similar in development that Nintendo will be encouraging devs to release the same games on both. The handheld unit will be the more appealing in the market (as 3DS is more appealing), but by virtue of the handheld's development being a switch and a scaling away from console, the home console would have its software library increased via that trojan horse method.

And if you want both, you could enjoy some neat two-screen experiences, multi-screen experiences, or just the whole Super GameBoy aspect of it which is awesome enough.

As for power, the two would have to have similar architectures (ARM?) ... I have no reason to believe Emily Rogers, and no reason to disbelieve her, but her stuff inspires the least internet conspiracy in me, so it's what I take to more realistic than my wild imaginings. I'm expecting the Handheld unit to be at or above a Wii U's raw power (Tegra X1 maybe?), and the home console unit to be around an XBox One's level, whatever that means.

Under this idea I'm not sure if both would launch at the same time... it's possible that Nintendo staggers the launches... but it'd honestly be more fun for me as a consumer if they both launched at once and retailers could sell them separately or they could justify an all-in bundle of console+traditionalController+handheld for around $500.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: May 22, 2016, 05:00:15 PM »
Maybe the standard controller is just a slightly improved wii u controller. Maybe there is a secondary controller that is its own system which you buy that connects to the home system that can act independently.  They however connect to the same library, and you can play the games anywhere.

I see them doing this to keep cost down. When Wii U came out the controller was something like $80 eating into the price of the whole system?  They could make it so the controller connects to your system at home. That sounds like it would run like garbage though. You could have both. You could have a secondary controller that acts independently and a primary controller that needs the system.

There was rumors that the NX could bluetooth anything. Maye it connects to cell phones too. 

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: May 22, 2016, 05:35:59 PM »
(This ended up being longer than I expected so I went back and bolded the key points for skimming purposes.)

If you read around the internet (and not just Neogaf though forum members there have been good about culling rumors and quotes from Nintendo, and putting the tech stuff in context), I think there's enough to formulate a reasonable conclusion. There will be a console and a handheld. Reading over Iwata's interviews over the past few years, a shared library seemed like an obvious verdict. Once I started lurking Neogaf more frequently, I noticed the idea was gaining traction. I doubt I'm the first one to think of it, but I felt a little vindicated that others were arriving at the same conclusion.

The library will NOT be 100% shared because third parties will decide which of their games will and will not play on both though Japanese third parties that released successful 3DS software will likely have their games shared if only because it makes more sense to do so. It allows them to sell to a wider audience. Very rarely will we see PC/console games scaled down since that may affect the integrity of the product.

More often than not, first party games will be shared. If a game is too intensive for a handheld (probably anything Monolith Soft pitches), Nintendo will likely greenlight a console exclusive because it's been very good lately about not compromising a creator's vision (e.g. Bayonetta 2). I'm sure some are going to complain about Nintendo holding its first party output back by making games compatible on weaker handheld hardware, but those people are silly and they don't know what they're talking about. Nintendo has been making console-level games on handhelds for at least a generation. It has always valued gameplay over graphics. More to the point, it has always valued art direction and design over graphics. As Nintendo transitions to more powerful handheld hardware, the only difference in terms of its handheld and console output will be resolution. A shared library makes more sense now than ever.

Nintendo is abandoning optical media as it's no longer a viable storage solution for video games. The sheer amount of data of most modern games cannot be read fast enough from an optical disc to display on a screen. This solves a couple of issues. No disc drive cuts cost and no discs mean no installations. Shared library games can be scaled up, but a better solution would be to have the higher resolution textures on the game card and the hardware detects which to display. 540p scales to 1080p easier so expect the handheld screen(s) to be 540p. I suspect digital versions will simply include the texture pack you need depending on the hardware you're playing on. No need to have the larger, higher resolution textures on the handheld.

Nintendo would prefer people buy both console and handheld, but it's a software company first. The point of a shared library is to alleviate droughts and to ultimately release a greater volume of software. Nintendo's thinking is possibly that console owners will have access to all games, but handheld owners will have access to more games than they have before. If a console exclusive game is so desired that a handheld owner buys the console, that's just a win for Nintendo.

Since Nintendo is moving to game cards across the board, physical backwards compatibility is out of the questions, and I doubt Nintendo will bother with an external disc drive. People can still keep their Wii U and Wii, and they'll get over it in time anyway. Still, I expect Nintendo to strive for Virtual Console to include every past generation including Wii U, and be playable on the handheld. Speaking of, for Virtual Console purposes, I fully expect a rebranded Remote/Nunchuk. For simplicity's sake, I think NX's have the standard two sticks, four face buttons, four shoulder buttons, D-Pad, and start/select/home. I'm undecided if the console's main controller includes a screen, but a screen controller is definitely returning.

As far as hardware, specs are not the same as performance, and without proper context, it's hard to tell what Emily Rogers' source means. Still, I expect the console to be in the ballpark of Xbox One and PS4. Unless there's a noticeable jump in performance (which there likely will not be consider NX will not be sold at a launch and releasing over $300 is practically marching it out to die), it doesn't matter if NX is more powerful than PS4. As long as games can be ported, it's ultimately just a business decision whether NX gets support. I expect the handheld to have better performance than Wii U which won't be very difficult in 2017, and only displaying in native 540p would allow the hardware to allocate its power to other things.

I think it's in Nintendo's best interest in the long-run to transition to ARM on the console now, but x86-64 is still a very reasonable expectation. Most modern engines support ARM. The proprietary engines of a few major third party games currently do not. Compiling code for those engines probably isn't especially difficult though it is an extra step. However, the chances of Nintendo getting those games at/around launch or even ever were not very high to begin with. Since regaining support is going to be a long process, this isn't something Nintendo needs to concern itself with right now. And with ARM gaining more and more traction, those proprietary engines or their successors may eventually support ARM. Right now, Nintendo seems to be making all the right moves to create the anti-Wii U. If it has learned anything, I hope it learned that there are no quick fixes, no shortcuts. To improve its market position, Nintendo has to work with what it already has (excellent first party output and key third party output on its handheld) and build from there.

One bit I'm really looking forward to is where My Nintendo fits into puzzle. Right now, it's only compatible with Miitomo (which is weirdly addicting). Players are given "Missions" and completing them Platinum Coins which can be exchanged for discounts or even games. I doubt Nintendo opens up "Missions" to non-mobile games until NX.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: May 22, 2016, 08:01:59 PM »
When I was making Unity games for Ouya they would look pretty good on my old computer. When I ported them to Ouya the real time lighting went off in a really ugly way, but they were still playable. That was ARM based. I've played some really good looking games on Ouya. The Ouya also used a Tegra 3. I can imagine the NX controller might be basically an Ouya with a screen. That would work out physically too, since the system was so tiny(the size of an actual apple). And also, 3ds and Ouya were not that different in chips. Ouya is a quadcore ARM9 and 3ds is a dual core ARM11 with an ARM9 processor.

Apparently the Tegra k1 outperforms both ps3 and xbox360 while running low power. This could be the guts of the new controller/console.

The Tegra X1 is probably too new and expensive for a handheld. I don't know how these things price. Ouya was $99 and sold at a profit in 2012 with a Tegra 3. Dead trigger kinda looked better than ZombiU.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: May 22, 2016, 08:46:35 PM »
So am I alone in hoping that motion controls return?
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1349 on: May 22, 2016, 08:50:23 PM »
So am I alone in hoping that motion controls return?

Probably.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.