Author Topic: Radio Free Nintendo: Episode 154  (Read 10050 times)

Offline Yoshidious

• Silent Partner
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
Radio Free Nintendo: Episode 154
« on: July 19, 2009, 09:30:00 AM »
With Jonny away on manoeuvres (playing Bangai-O Spirits), the crew welcomes Japan Correspondent Matt Walker into the fold to get the lowdown on Wii Sports Resort and the launch of Dragon Quest IX.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/podcastArt.cfm?artid=19040

Episode 154: Audio Slow Motion    

Download in AAC Format           Subscribe to AAC Feed    

Download in MP3 Format           Subscribe to MP3 Feed    

Subscribe via iTunes (Please rate and review, too!)    

It's always a pleasure to welcome a new member of staff to RFN, and on this occasion we had the timely opportunity to hear from our new Japan Correspondent, Matt Walker, on the biggest gaming event of 2009 in the Land of the Rising Sun: the launch of Dragon Quest IX. After getting to know our new colleague (and ourselves) a little better to begin the show, we hear Matt's impressions of the long-awaited DS RPG, as well as his thoughts on the final version of Wii Sports Resort.    

There's no shortage of games for the rest of the crew to discuss in New Business; James and Jon discover the strategy games of the past reborn on DS with Front Mission and Fire Emblem, and Greg tries to stay in rhythm as Ouendan 2 becomes the latest title in his recent string of music games. In the second segment, RetroActive #7 comes to a close with a bloodcurdling digitised howl before we respond to your questions in Listener Mail, including: the dos and don'ts of using Wii Speak, a puzzling hiatus for the Mario Party series, and a look back at our favourite RetroActive moments so far.    

Credits:    

This podcast was edited by Greg Leahy.    

Music for this episode of Radio Free Nintendo is used with permission from Jason Ricci & New Blood. You can purchase their newest album, Done with the Devil, directly from the record label, Amazon.com, or iTunes, or call your local record store and ask for it!  

Greg Leahy
Former RFN Editor

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Radio Free Nintendo: Episode 154
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 05:45:54 PM »
I always thought that James was my favorite person on the podcast because of his rants, but him naming Ogre Battle 64 as one of his top 3 favorite games just seals the deal.  ^_^  Especially with my PS3 out for repairs right now, I've been really tempted to pull out the N64 and give that game another replay lately (hell, either that or Baten Kaitos Origins, which I can never seem to get through whenever I try to replay it).
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 07:14:24 PM »
Can't wait to hear this! I really missed being on the show this week, especially since I was playing and enjoying Bangai-O Spirits. Still, I suppose a little time off is always good.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 08:14:05 PM »
No Chrono Trigger love in their top 3..... It's one of my tops, first game I ever finished when I was 5 years old(I did have some help, but mostly I played it all). My brothers are much older so I grew up with an NES and SNES.

Ah my letter was read! But by James? I think this is my first letter not read by Greg! I am depressed.... But at least James got to read the "skillz"! That made up for it!

Wii Speak SUCKS! Give us a headset!

Mario Party 8 has sold over 6 million worldwide.

Lindy you haven't finished SMB3 or Galaxy! I don't think you should be able to be director of this site!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 08:40:06 PM by kraken613 »
~David~
3DS: 5214-9250-6646 - David
Playing Now: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 09:08:29 PM »
great show guys. I don't think you should limit the games to a specific console in retro active . keep it spicy.

i put a few games on the list in that topic that are varied and different . Neo Geo, Virtual Console Arcade, and Sega Master System don't have that many games on their perspective console so that rule may come back to bite you in the butt. Also limiting the console also limits the gameplay that can be shown off.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 09:10:28 PM by Mr. Adolph Vega »

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 12:00:49 AM »
Not all RetroActive polls will be console-specific. That's just the current scheme. We'll have a mix for game #10 because that'll be a second-chance poll. And since some consoles don't have a big selection on VC, we may soon do a poll featuring games from all those "lesser" systems.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 12:05:04 AM »
No Chrono Trigger love in their top 3..... It's one of my tops, first game I ever finished when I was 5 years old(I did have some help, but mostly I played it all). My brothers are much older so I grew up with an NES and SNES.

Final Fantasy III is my Chrono Trigger.  I still haven't really played CT, but I do have it for DS.  It's one of my summer projects, along with...

Lindy you haven't finished SMB3 or Galaxy! I don't think you should be able to be director of this site!

...Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Bros. 3.  I actually tossed three hours at SMG today.  I'm up to 27 stars and I just opened Rosalina's storybook.  It's getting better as I go along, but for some reason I found the first 15-20 stars just excruciatingly slow to get through.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 12:25:42 AM »

Final Fantasy III is my Chrono Trigger.  I still haven't really played CT, but I do have it for DS.  It's one of my summer projects, along with...

I'd prioritize that one if I were you, as it's easily my favorite game of all time.  Frankly, I don't think Final Fantasy 6 has aged as well as CT (except for the music and Kefka), especially in the painfully-dull second half of the game.  I don't want to have to use a pun, but Chrono Trigger really is timeless.  I think if Jonny were there for this podcast it would have been in his Top 3, just based on his previous discussion of the game.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 12:47:43 AM »
You left this out of my email.

LINDY WE NEED TO PLAY FREAKING L4D! WE HAVE BEEN GOING TO SINCE APRIL!
~David~

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 07:31:30 AM »
James said something, I don't remember which specifically, that made me laugh to the point that I spilled hot coffee all over myself*. Then he insulted Super Mario Bros. 3, ensuring him a spot on my Enemies List.

* I'd like to unnecessarily point out that that was not a euphemism that referenced GTA: San Andreas 
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline yoshi1001

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • PIRN-Pokemon Radio
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 09:07:39 PM »
When the "20th anniversarry" thing came up, I was sure Greg was going to mention The Wizard rather than SMB3 (which, if memory serves, actually came out in 1990 in the US). I expect there'll be mention of the movie in any SMB3 special, but I would like at least a Wizard segment on RFN.
For Pokemon news and interviews, check us out at:

http://pokepress.blogspot.com/

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 09:16:10 PM »
This new Japanese correspondent seems decent. You should have him on more often.

Offline Yoshidious

• Silent Partner
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2009, 03:05:59 AM »
When the "20th anniversarry" thing came up, I was sure Greg was going to mention The Wizard rather than SMB3 (which, if memory serves, actually came out in 1990 in the US). I expect there'll be mention of the movie in any SMB3 special, but I would like at least a Wizard segment on RFN.

When I was thinking of the 20th anniversary of SMB3 being at the end of this year, I was unfortunately mixing up its Japanese release (which was at the end of 1988) with the US one (February 1990) in such a way that I thought it came out at the end of '89. It's not that much farther out though, so it remains a possibility. I'll have to try and recall the previous episode where Jonny talked about The Wizard wth Karl and Mike and direct you to that if you haven't already heard it, yoshi1001.   
Greg Leahy
Former RFN Editor

Offline NWR_Karl

• Red Velvet
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2009, 07:35:22 AM »
It's Episode 71: The Daily Weed.

Great show as always, gentlemen.
----
Karl Castaneda
Associated Raconteur

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2009, 10:48:06 AM »
I enjoyed Matt's midwestern accent. And I don't feel bad about skipping out on Ninja Spirit.
I actually finally bought Cho Aniki instead of getting Ninja Spirit. Not that I think Cho Aniki would have generated much more discussion, but the amount of awkward "...And then I shot my MAN BEAM at a guy playing a harp and my friend questioned me sexuality" stories would be worth it.

Strangely enough, after my initial near silence on the Super Ghouls n Ghosts Retroactive that I made an appearance on, I played more of it with a friend of mine and while I think it is one of the cruelest games ever made, it's pretty damn awesome. Although I'm stuck on the final level the second time through now.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline jrlibrarian

• Small Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2009, 12:18:21 PM »
I got the Gamefly version of Super Ghouls and Ghosts on GBA two weeks after that episode. I beat it the first time, and then decided to send it back. I'll probably get it on VC once I get a Wii though.
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2009, 02:19:01 PM »
Karl, what's the official link to your podcast? People were asking.

Offline NWR_Karl

• Red Velvet
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2009, 04:05:12 PM »
If you're talking about TAWK-112, we decided to dissolve it. Switchpod.com, which is what we were using as hosting, decided to close up shop. Also, the amount of shows we were doing and the amount of traffic we were getting kind of demanded a proper setup, with paid hosting and a domain and such. We entertained the idea, but eventually decided against it. A couple of us are going our separate ways (as in moving, not as friends), too, so it just wasn't going to be what we wanted.

I can never seem to get the radio bug out of my system, though, so I doubt it'll be the last you'll hear from me. I'm doing a one-off special for RFN coming up soon (recording it this weekend), and in the next couple months I'll be starting my next web project - still sort of throwing stuff together.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot. Anyone who wants the last couple unaired eps of TAWK-112 should email tawk112@gmail.com. I'm gonna throw them up on MegaUpload.com or something for people who're interested.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 04:09:07 PM by KarlCastaneda »
----
Karl Castaneda
Associated Raconteur

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2009, 05:53:39 PM »
I have been trying to work out for the longest while what region Greg is from.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2009, 08:13:45 PM »
The region where people play difficult old-school games like real man.  And smell of Old Spice.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline jrlibrarian

• Small Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2009, 08:27:49 PM »
I think that I might be from that region (except for the Old Spice part). I got Super Ghouls And Ghosts because I thought that it might be a game that took me a while to complete. I also got the original Metroid on GBA and I am working on it without any help. I might also try for a record speed run through the GBA version of Super Mario World.
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2009, 11:55:01 PM »
Not pertaining to this episode but I am listening to some of the old ones. Episode 15: The Four Horsemen. You foretold The Beatles: Rock Band. Well you said Guitar Hero but Harmonix was still doing GH back then.

But you laughed it off....
~David~

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2009, 09:59:10 AM »
The region where people play difficult old-school games like real man.  And smell of Old Spice.

So follow the scent of teeth-crunching and despair?

Offline Yoshidious

• Silent Partner
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2009, 10:27:40 AM »
I'm glad to hear Neal has joined the ranks of the Super GnG Stockholm Syndrome-sufferers, as it shows that the game's diabolical powers remain in effect even 18 years after it was originally released.

Plugabugz, your difficulty placing my accent is a product of me having spent the first twelve years of my life in the Midlands just outside Birmingham, and then the next twelve in the South East of England in Hertfordshire, so my voice is a weird composite of the dialects from those areas.
Greg Leahy
Former RFN Editor

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2009, 01:53:21 PM »
Plugabugz, your difficulty placing my accent is a product of me having spent the first twelve years of my life in the Midlands just outside Birmingham, and then the next twelve in the South East of England in Hertfordshire, so my voice is a weird composite of the dialects from those areas.

That makes sense :) You have a very "region-less" voice. It's undeniably British, but you can't narrow it down from there. Like nobody can ask you ARE YOO FROM LIVERPOOOOOOL?