Author Topic: Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts (RetroActive #5 Discussion)  (Read 18013 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts (RetroActive #5 Discussion)
« on: April 19, 2009, 02:15:15 AM »
Please use this thread to discuss and/or weep about Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts.  The on-air discussion will take place on Episode 144 (because this game is gross) and may extend for one more if we think that is appropriate.

As a reminder, we'll be culling pithy and interesting comments from this thread to be read on the show.  Your post may be edited for length if we choose to read it out loud.  And we may mispronounce your forum name.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
Re: Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts (RetroActive #5 Discussion)
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 11:36:25 AM »
I love this game.

It's my first experience with any game from the Ghosts 'n Goblins series and I'm honestly blown away.

I die often, but am rarely frustrated.  Every time I die I know it was my fault--I jumped at the wrong time; I was too eager and tried to rush through the level; I simply underestimated the threat from a group of enemies.  Regardless, I learn from each death and do my best not to repeat my mistakes.

Death isn't as frustrating as I was lead to believe.  Frequent checkpoints ensure that I don't have to go back very far after I die.  Ample extra lives and continues ensure I will be able to continue to progress, albeit a bit slower than in most other games.

I highly recommend this game to anyone who enjoys a challenging 2D platformer.  It's not nearly as hard as most make it out to be.  Challenging?  For sure!  Impossible?  Not at all.  Fun?  Hell yes!
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 01:34:05 PM »
I was going to stay far away from this game because of its reputation as being one of the most difficult games ever conceived, but Vudu claiming that it isn't as hard as people make it out to be makes me wonder if I could handle it...

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 02:13:09 PM »
It's hard.  If you're not very good at video games you'll struggle to beat the first level.

But if you played games during the NES and SNES generations you'll be fine.  It's harder than the 2D Mario games (except Lost Levels), but it's no more difficult than Ninja Gaiden, Contra I through III or Castlevania I, III or IV.

The difference is (as I alluded to earlier) with Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts I know that--9 times out of 10--when I die it's my own fault.  The games I listed before are often plagued with cheap deaths where the only way to survive is to know what's going to happen before it happens.  I don't feel this is the case with Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts.

Disclaimer:  I'm only up to the third level, so it's possible that things could change later in the game.

As long as there aren't any levels as difficult at 6-2 in Ninja Gaiden I'll be fine.  :)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 02:15:27 PM by vudu »
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 04:25:16 PM »
Well I started playing this yesterday and I can't get past the first level. Vudu points out that most of the dificultly comes from user error.There is a nice speed run of someone playing this game without getting hit on youtube.Just so you guys know.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 04:49:09 PM »
My best advice would be to take it slow.  If you try to speed through this like you would Super Marios Bros 3, you'll die.  Stop, analyze the threats and act accordingly.

I just beat level 3.  There were a few tricky spots with the blocks disappearing into lava that felt a little "cheap" because they were pretty impossible to navigate the first time through.  However, once I got past them the rest of the level was a breeze and I actually managed to kill the boss on the first try.  Go me!  ;D

I only played level 4 for a couple minute but I can already tell this level is either going to be amazingly fun or excruciatingly difficult.  It uses a Mode 7 rotating mechanic reminiscent of Castlevania IV.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 05:30:22 PM »
It's hard.  If you're not very good at video games you'll struggle to beat the first level.
But if you played games during the NES and SNES generations you'll be fine.  It's harder than the 2D Mario games (except Lost Levels), but it's no more difficult than Ninja Gaiden, Contra I through III or Castlevania I, III or IV.
I grew up with an NES and never could beat any of those NES games that you mentioned. In recent years my gaming skill has declined, and I can't handle most of the games on NES and SNES anymore, especially something I have never played before. If I had gotten this game back in the day I might've liked it, but something tells me it isn't something I could get into if I tried it today.

Offline adadad

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 06:41:45 PM »
As long as there aren't any levels as difficult at 6-2 in Ninja Gaiden I'll be fine.  :)

That's the truth of it really, there's nothing as tough or cheap as 6-2 and everything else you said about the difficulty is spot on. Not at all easy but very rarely is this game unfair.

I like the pace of the game too, it's very slow (part of this is because I'm playing it PALwise unfortunately) for the most part. The non-negotiable jumping means you have to be careful and calculating about it, especially with double jumps, otherwise you'll get killed. It's oddly satisfying having a slow paced platformer that demands mastery of the jumping mechanics. Somehow it's not particularly frustrating dying and going back to the start of a level. I think most of that is due to solid level design basically. The difficulty ramps up very gradually through the level (most obvious examples are the two onrails levels, the rafts one and the weird alien lifts stage) and there's that great sense of accomplishment when you finally make it to another checkpoint.

Helps as well as that the music is good, got a uniquely old fashioned feel to it, like a mixtape made for a Russian funeral.

On a final note, that level with the crazy lifts, it's so kooky with grapes on the ceiling and human hearts apparently sellotaped together on the floor. It felt quite out of place stylistically I think, and I'm glad after that it goes back to more typical castles and dungeons. There are enough bio-alien environment R-Type clones around that I was relieved they didn't carry the torch for that theme any further. Speaking of dumb shooter comparisons, the final final boss - bit Lords of Thunder anyone?

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 09:31:08 PM »
PROTIP:  Do not use arrows on the first half of level 4.  It might seem like a good idea since so many of the enemies are attached to the ceiling (arrows fire at a diagonal) but you'd be wrong.  DEAD WRONG.

The beginning of the second half of level 4 is HELL with the arrows and you don't have the opportunity to fine a new weapon.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 09:34:52 PM »
What would you say is the best weapon to go through the game?The daggers?
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 09:41:08 PM »
I like the daggers as the best overall weapon.  However, they all seem to have their purpose (except the damn fire bomb).

The lance is good if you need a weapon that shoots straight but hits a little harder than the dagger.  It's good if you have a lot of enemies that you need to jump to hit.

The ax is good if there are small enemies that are hard to hit (because it has a wide range of attack due to its loops).

Arrows are good if you have a lot of enemies that are much higher than you are.

The scythe isn't the best weapon if you're wearing normal armor, but if you have the magical armor it's pretty powerful.

The fire bomb is the only one that I find completely worthless.  It's hard to hit most enemies due to it's short range and awkward throwing arch.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 09:46:13 PM »
Firstly: IT'S ABOUT TIME THIS GAME WON

Secondly: The trick to this game is to memorize every trap, enemy, and attack pattern in the hour and a half or so game.  IT'S THAT EASY!
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2009, 09:48:00 PM »
PROTIP:  Do not use arrows on the first half of level 4.  It might seem like a good idea since so many of the enemies are attached to the ceiling (arrows fire at a diagonal) but you'd be wrong.  DEAD WRONG.

The beginning of the second half of level 4 is HELL with the arrows and you don't have the opportunity to fine a new weapon.

Holy crap, I take it back--THE ARROWS ARE AWESOME ON THE FOURTH LEVEL.

The first part of the second half is a little difficult (it's an auto-scrolling level, which makes it difficult to hit enemies with the arrows) but the second half is great because there are all these little devils flying just over your head.  More importantly, the boss of the fourth level is extremely vulnerable to arrows due to his size.  ARROWS KICK ASS.  ;D

Onto level five!!

EDIT:  I want to reiterate, make sure you have the arrows on the first half of level four.  Level five is sort of a bitch, but the arrows make it much easier.  Again, you don't have the opportunity to change weapons until you're a good deal into it (at least not that I've found) so you'll need to have them going into the level.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 10:01:16 PM by vudu »

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2009, 09:49:37 PM »
Secondly: The trick to this game is to memorize every trap, enemy, and attack pattern in the hour and a half or so game.  IT'S THAT EASY!

I disagree.  Rote memorization isn't required to beat the game.  It can certainly help, but it's not required at all.

The trick to the game is to take it slow.  If you try to rush though it you'll get your ass handed to you.

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2009, 09:55:06 PM »
If you stand around like a dope you'll have a zombie pop up under you.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2009, 10:02:12 PM »
I didn't say stand around like a dope.  I said be cautious.  If you treat this game like SMB 3 you're in for a world of hurt.

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2009, 10:24:33 PM »
The most exciting way to play this game is balls out, literally and figuratively.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2009, 10:55:34 PM »
Crimm just settled my indecision. I'm not buying this. Maybe next time, peeps. :)

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2009, 11:13:45 PM »
It really is a good game.  It's just harder than games that come out now.  Even if you don't beat the game, which is quite likely, it's still a lot of fun.

Angry, controller smashing, fun.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2009, 11:15:32 PM »
Must be a guy thing.

Offline gojira

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2009, 01:35:20 AM »
Quite frankly, I've never found this game all that fun.  But I do own it so I decided to give the game another go for RetroActive.

And I'm just going to say, eff this game.  I'm glad there are people who enjoy this game, but it is really not for me. 

And eff the armor upgrades.  You think they'll let you get hit an extra time or something, but nope.  I had a gold suit and a shield and I lost it all in one hit. 

I have some of the same problems with the old Castlevania games, but something about the design make them more enjoyable. 

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2009, 02:11:41 AM »
You can get extra hit protection, after you get the Gold Armour you get shields and things.

Also everything vudu has said is spot on. Going to bust out my SNES tonight and give it a good ol' playthrough.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline gojira

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2009, 12:10:52 PM »
The armor only upgrades your weapons.  The shield allows you an extra hit from a projectile, but not an enemy or an environmental hazard.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2009, 07:06:36 PM »
The armor only upgrades your weapons.
That's perfectly logical.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2009, 02:30:00 PM »
I beat the first half of level 5 last night.  It was pretty tough.  My goal is to finish up the second half of 5 tonight.

Who else is playing this game?  I know Dasmos and I weren't the only ones who voted for this game.

Maxi, did you ever manage to beat level 1?  If not, where are you having trouble?