Author Topic: Super Mario Odyssey Spoiler Thread - Spoilers here or I'll punch your face in.  (Read 9919 times)

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
Just completed the story this weekend.  The end sequence was great fun, if a little frustrating with the falling debris.  I think they could have created a different way to add difficulty to the level, it was more frustrating than challenging.

Unlike other Mario games, I really took my time just playing intermittently since launch collecting 3-5 moons a night here or there, and this game is really built in a way where you could dive deep and really just gorge yourself on the content until you've consumed everything, or have it be like me where you find a spare 15 minutes and just explore what catches your eye in a world.  I appreciate that, given my current time-constrained lifestyle with two toddlers.

This game is a delight in the music, tone, and how self-referential it is, which Nintendo has done well for quite a bit of time now with their Mario games.  That said, I'm a bit torn on how it seems to sort of play a bit of middle ground with the game play.

At the heart of it, this game is a collect-a-thon.  I have not seen the same kind of platforming experiences I got with something like Mario Galaxy or Mario 3D land/world, unless it's hidden somewhere I have not found yet.  Even Mario 64 at the heart of it dealt a lot more with platforming, timed jumps, etc than I recall doing in this game.  I also don't know about anyone else here, but I feel Mario's jumps are weighed down a lot more by gravity than I recall there being in 3D world.  Assuming that's not something I'm just perceiving wrong, that is something I see as a step-back. 

Those are the reasons why I don't understand all the comments in podcasts, in the telethon, or elsewhere on the internet claiming this game is a return to Mario 64 style of game.  The only comparison is that they both have what felt like at the time fairly open/expansive worlds.  But the goals, structure of the levels, design and focus of the gameplay feel entirely different to me.

These aren't bad things to me, per se, but this game definitely doesn't scratch the same itch that other 3D Mario games have in the past.  This game is almost purely about exploration.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
There are a number of challenges that focus solely on specific platforming abilities and feel far more focused than anything found in Galaxy and even Super Mario 64. In fact, a great deal of the platforming in Odyssey feels much more in-line with the Super Mario series in general, in comparison with Super Mario 64, which was almost exclusively about exploration.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Anyone else try Balloon World yet? It's also a good way to rack up coins quickly, for those of you who still have costumes and moons left to buy.

It's too bad you can't play the game using the photo filters, that'd be pretty trippy.

Unfortunately, Balloon World has further exposed collision glitches in the game. After searching for balloons in every kingdom, I would say the Metro Kingdom is by far the most problematic with balloons hidden inside solid obstacles. It seems to be the world with the most collision glitches, though I s'pose that makes some sense as it seems to have the most complex geometry. There is also a popular spot in Mushroom Kingdom with balloons inside the solid part of the bridge to the castle, but that's right by the start point so it's easy to notice those balloons are glitched. I also ran into one in Cascade and Cap Kingdoms, but I have yet to come across them in the other worlds yet. They may exist, just haven't found them yet. I've taken note of the arrow direction and distance for the glitch spots, so I can avoid the ones I know about now. Metro Kingdom is the only trouble world since there are so many glitch spots.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
I saw something about people putting the balloons in "out of bounds" areas.  I haven't tried the mode myself yet, but I hope Nintendo can patch it because that's obnoxious.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
I saw something about people putting the balloons in "out of bounds" areas.  I haven't tried the mode myself yet, but I hope Nintendo can patch it because that's obnoxious.
That would be a tricky thing to patch, I think. Fixing all of those collision glitches is quite an undertaking for a side mode, and I'm not sure if they could make a way to "detect" when the balloon is placed inside a wall.

It's mainly an issue in Metro Kingdom. I just make a note of the arrow and distance for any I find in another kingdom, and then it's easy to avoid those balloons.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Since getting costumes is probably the only reason I'd pick this game back up again, I guess I should give Balloon World a try.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
When I saw the Knight costume, this was the first thing which came to mind:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DXLK_nmV4AA0uYr.jpg
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 04:12:11 PM by Mop it up »