Author Topic: Holy crap! DOOM and Wolfenstein on Switch!  (Read 28793 times)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Holy crap! DOOM and Wolfenstein on Switch!
« on: September 13, 2017, 06:31:53 PM »
This is a friggin' great Direct!
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: Holy crap! DOOM and Wolfenstein on Switch!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 07:56:53 PM »
Best one in years!

It had several clotheslines and some stunners.

Minecraft on 3ds? Jeez.

The cement has set.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Dauterive

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 08:11:22 PM »
Is this the best Nintendo direct...ever? I can't think of one better.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 08:22:03 PM »
Is this the best Nintendo direct...ever? I can't think of one better.

I found out about LA Noire coming the the Switch a few days ago, But Doom and Wolfenstein 2 is very optimistic to hear.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 09:57:44 PM by ThePerm »

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 08:33:56 PM »
It is rather funny how we have a western third party giving Nintendo two ultra violent FPS filled with dismemberment, one involves killing demons in hell and the other Nazi's in America while a fellow Japanese third party still can't be bothered to port a collection of 8-bit retro Disney 2D platformers and another collection of Mega Man titles.

Have we officially entered bizarro world?
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 08:47:27 PM »
Yeah I was like "oh neat Minecraft on 3DS...wait, today?! Wtf?"

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 09:10:05 PM »

Looks good, if that footage is running on Switch.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 09:57:34 PM »
I would water that it is the Switch version, since Wolfenstein wasn't shown, and everything else shown was running on Switch.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 11:38:34 PM »
This is kind of stunning. I kinda figured after E3 that this tier of 3rd party support wasn't going to materialize outside of a handful of special deals like Skyrim. I guess it's still the same publisher, and there are still a lot of conspicuous absences, but this could be a turning point. And I would be tickled if the ultra-low settings versions of stuff on Switch helped it smoke the doofy 1.5 consoles this generation.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 11:44:15 PM »
First graphics comparison I've found:

Textures have definitely taken a hit, but I still think it looks good. I wonder if it's running on the Vulcan renderer or OpenGL?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 11:47:38 PM »
Single player +DLC is on the cartridge, multi-player is a download, Snap editor not included, not surprised.

https://gonintendo.com/stories/290095-doom-includes-all-updates-dlc-lacking-level-editor-physical-c

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 11:58:13 PM »
When It's only lighting and texturing it isn't a big deal. Plus on the Switch Screen it's going to look different.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2017, 12:37:48 AM »
The graphics looks pretty good on the Switch version.  Yeah the PS4 version still looks better but this isn't Wii vs PS3/360 level gap anymore.  As long as the Switch version at least runs nice and doesn't suffer from major framerate issues this game could end up doing pretty well.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2017, 12:50:14 AM »
Most people thought the framerate looked really good in the videos.

Months ago I made a post and the content of the post was basically if we really wanted to have a vote of confidence for the Switch we should see a game like Doom show up. Well here it is!

If Doom(4) is ported to Switch then we will have no third party problems with Switch. The rumors are Switch only has 4GB of ram, which are below Dooms requirements, but it Switch is cartridge based, so many games won't require as much ram.

Also funny reading old prediction threads.

The first year is going to be relatively low key. After 1 week all of the "analysts" will spout doom and gloom for a few months. Slowly the early adopters will show off the Wii U to friends. The thing that will impress people the most will be that it makes an awesome remote control for their tv. Over the next year Ubisoft's sales on Wii U will be pretty high, mainly because they are the only choice in town. Zombi U will be a top seller despite mixed reviews, because of this a sequel will be announced and also other Zombie series like dead island will be announced for the console. The DeadIsland game will get mediocre sales because its an old game by this time. A sequel will be on ps4 and xbox 720. When asked if the sequel will come to Wii U the developer will come up with vague answers and stupid excuses.

Nintendo will show a new Zelda game, and the new Retro game, the Retro game will probably be a new Metroid game. Both will look gorgeous. That is if Retro isn't making Zelda, in which case Nintendo will not have anything for the show. a 3d mario will be absent until the next year, but only in video form.

The next year Nintendo will release a bunch of games I don't care about a long with a new Zelda or a new Zelda and Metroid. There will be 3 good 3rd party games and that will be it. Despite this Wii U will have good sales, better than gamecube, but not quite as good as Wiis were.

The next year Nintendo will take a franchise from the other systems, but it will be one nobody cares about at this point, and likely an updated port of the original title. Right before its release, a much more promising sequel will be announced and everyone will want it. Further more it will be revealed that the game we were waiting for wont remain exclusive for long.

The next e3 the new mario game will be announced, with mixed enthusiasm. It will be reviewed well by critics, but g4tv will be totally against it.

eternal darkness and shenmue 3 will be announced for the IwiiU, but cancelled 2 months later.

Nintendo might buy Sega.

It isn't what happened but it has a very Nintendo Vibe.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 01:08:13 AM by ThePerm »

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2017, 01:15:14 AM »
I am so in with both of these games! The real games and not some ultra watered down BS on rails version! Wahoo!
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2017, 01:22:19 AM »
I still don't have a Switch, but these are very good reasons to get one.

Zelda BOTW
Doom
Wolfenstein
Mario Kart 8
Mario Odyssey
Skyrim
Splatoon
Metroid Prime 4

The gravitational force of all of those games combined is strong. We know one day there will be Pokémon and Smash Bros.  The way things keep going we'll have GTAV, Fallout 4, and FFVII.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 01:25:22 AM by ThePerm »

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2017, 01:36:58 AM »
The way things keep going we'll have GTAV, Fallout 4, and FFVII.

If Skyrim and Doom sell well then I'd easily expect a GTAV and Fallout 4 announcement sometime in the Spring.  Western third parties are usually better at porting their big games to every system that can handle them and if the Switch can handle Doom and it sells well, I don't see many really refusing.  Except for maybe EA if they're still butthurt Nintendo didn't use Origin for the Wii U's entire online network, something they were foolish to ever think would happen in the first place.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2017, 05:20:03 AM »
I think GTA V will come to Switch next year, which will push it to the #3 highest selling game of all time...if it isn't already there.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2017, 12:05:50 PM »
I'm mildly curious about DooM since I like the original game, but I don't really like modern graphics styles.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2017, 08:58:36 PM »
When they first showed off Doom(4) I was a little weary because it was initially somewhat slow placed. This was contrasted by a fan mod of the original Doom called Brutal Doom which was amazing looking while being Retro.

However, when Doom(4) was finally released I played a Demo and they had fixed the pacing issues. It is a fairly decent looking game. It does have a similar style to the original Doom, it isn't just some random modern space shooter. However, we have to keep in mind that the Doom series are the games that set the trends for Sci-fi shooters. In coming years all these games are going to look more like Doom(4)

The other thing about Doom is it gives us very high hopes for Metroid Prime 4. Very similar games in some ways. A game programmed natively for Switch like Prime 4 should look amazing.

Also, if we put our eggs in the Bethesda basket that bodes well for Evil Within 1 & 2
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 09:22:52 PM by ThePerm »

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2017, 11:14:37 PM »
When I look at other forums that are not Nintendo focused there is some grumbling that games like this on the Switch will have compromised visuals but there is also a feeling among Switch owners that this is worthwhile for the trade-off of having the game be portable.  Since the Wii, Nintendo has insisted that their users trade off contemporary console specs and the advantages that come from that in return for something else.  For the Wii and Wii U it was a different controller.  With the Switch they've found something that gamers feel is worth that trade-off.  The Wii U certainly never had that.  "Hey put up with compromised specs for a screen controller!"  Gimme a break.  No wonder it went nowhere.  But the ability to take console games on the go with you and then put it on your TV when you get home?  That's an awesome concept!

Nintendo has done a good job at front loading the Switch lineup with some killer games but really this concept is why the Switch is selling so well.  Yeah Wolfenstein on the PS4 is probably going to have a better textures and a better framerate but you're tethered to your living room in a world where no one can leave the house without carrying a glorified computer in their pocket.  You can take the Switch version with you anywhere just like you can with every other piece of software or digital media.  For someone that wants the portability the Switch version of multiplatform games is automatically the one to buy.  When was the last time a Nintendo console was in that position?  The fuckin' SNES?!

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2017, 11:54:18 PM »
Nintendo has done a good job at front loading the Switch lineup with some killer games but really this concept is why the Switch is selling so well.  Yeah Wolfenstein on the PS4 is probably going to have a better textures and a better framerate but you're tethered to your living room in a world where no one can leave the house without carrying a glorified computer in their pocket.  You can take the Switch version with you anywhere just like you can with every other piece of software or digital media.  For someone that wants the portability the Switch version of multiplatform games is automatically the one to buy.  When was the last time a Nintendo console was in that position?  The fuckin' SNES?!

This also puts Nintendo in a great position in the future as well.  With Microsoft and Sony fighting over who has the most powerful specs, how exactly are they going to still balance that while trying to compete with Nintendo now?  How much would a hybrid PS4 or Xbox One have costed at launch?  How powerful can Sony make the PS5 if they want to give the most cutting edge specs but allow for a portable hybrid that's still affordable.

Nintendo has basically created a system that is a win-win no matter what.  Either Microsoft and Sony sacrifice power to release affordable hybrids next gen, which makes it easier for Nintendo to continue receiving third party support, or they continue release more powerful home console only devices, that just gives Nintendo a monopoly over the hybrid market and continues receiving third party support anyway because there's a huge market for what Nintendo's offering.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2017, 12:07:15 PM »
The other thing about Doom is it gives us very high hopes for Metroid Prime 4. Very similar games in some ways. A game programmed natively for Switch like Prime 4 should look amazing.

Didn't even think about that, but agreed 100%. DOOM on Switch will set the bar for how an FPS should look on the console, Metroid Prime 4 should raise that bar.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2017, 02:00:11 AM »

This also puts Nintendo in a great position in the future as well.  With Microsoft and Sony fighting over who has the most powerful specs, how exactly are they going to still balance that while trying to compete with Nintendo now?  How much would a hybrid PS4 or Xbox One have costed at launch?  How powerful can Sony make the PS5 if they want to give the most cutting edge specs but allow for a portable hybrid that's still affordable.

Nintendo has basically created a system that is a win-win no matter what.  Either Microsoft and Sony sacrifice power to release affordable hybrids next gen, which makes it easier for Nintendo to continue receiving third party support, or they continue release more powerful home console only devices, that just gives Nintendo a monopoly over the hybrid market and continues receiving third party support anyway because there's a huge market for what Nintendo's offering.

Ehh...I have a feeling OEM's will release multiple versions of the same console (portable vs more powerful) sometime down the line that are all capable of playing the same game.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2017, 04:33:31 PM »
The word is out and Doom is 30fps, at least in handheld mode. Has anyone heard otherwise for Docked mode? Disappointing, but I will still get it. All the impressions have been positive.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2017, 07:20:11 PM »
Preview event was handheld only, probably not going to see any on-TV impressions for a couple of months.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2017, 09:41:45 PM »
Preview event was handheld only, probably not going to see any on-TV impressions for a couple of months.

It's a pretty smart strategy.  As a home console port it's inferior to the PS4/One version, but as a handheld port it's fucking amazing.  It makes sense for Nintendo and Bethesda to want everyone thinking of this Doom port primarily as a handheld game because there's nothing on current handhelds or mobile devices that offers an experience anywhere close to this.

I wouldn't be surprised if most PS4/One ports in the future are also mostly previewed handheld only to play up to the Switch greatest strength as well.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2017, 08:33:42 AM »
Additionally, it’s probably easier to explain performance going upwards. If a game runs well in handheld mode, it should run well in docked mode. Doom getting a resultion or frames per second bump in docked mode gives people something to be excited about.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2017, 04:43:17 PM »
Two things - it's a solid 30fps, which is good, and they still have a couple months to optimize. Could possibly be 720p/30 undocked and 720p/60 docked, but who knows.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2017, 05:25:02 PM »
They should probably throw Doom 3 BFG edition on there too. And some Quakes.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 05:26:52 PM by ThePerm »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2017, 09:52:46 PM »
I hope the classics come to the eShop. I want classic Wolfenstein.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
Shinji Mikami wants to port Evil Within 2 to Switch Joining Doom and Wolfenstein
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2017, 10:27:23 PM »
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-evil-within-director-wants-to-port-sequel-to-n/1100-6453527/

Shinji Mikami wants to port Evil Within 2 to Switch. Evil Within is also Bethesda.

I'd like to see Virtual Classic PC.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 10:32:02 PM by ThePerm »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2017, 12:18:37 AM »
It's amazing what using standardized tech that supports all the current middleware can do for a console's third party support.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2017, 12:27:36 AM »
6 Months ago
Square Execs: "There are no Plans, it wouldn’t run…"
http://nintendoeverything.com/final-fantasy-xv-team-has-interest-in-switch-but-no-plans-to-port-the-game-over/

Bethesda announced DOOM on Switch

Square Execs: "ah ****! Where's our excuses!!!!????"

Also, I think Nintendo has been reading my and Ians posts, and MP4 will be developed by Bethesda

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=47588.0

Holy Crap! This thread is full of gems of predictions! From many of us!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 02:30:32 AM by ThePerm »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2017, 03:31:46 AM »
If Skyrim and Doom sell well, I think we will get a port of Fallout 4.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2017, 12:13:11 PM »
here's another game coming to switch
https://kotaku.com/suprise-playdeads-inside-is-coming-to-the-switch-1818688520?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Twitter&utm_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow

I don't know anything about this game, but I hear it's currently on PS4, so another PS4 port coming.
Floodgates are open. Stock is rising. Nintendo 3rd party support is alive.

I think it's time to jump on board.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 12:35:31 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2017, 04:19:08 PM »
Inside definitely worth giving a whirl, but it's very much an indie game, 2D puzzle platformer. If they couldn't port it to Switch it would have to be due to some seriously unoptimized game code or some such.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2017, 11:10:53 PM »
At this rate we'll get a March 3 GTAV announcement.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2017, 11:34:34 PM »
Rockstar is going to be making an announcement about Red Dead Redemption 2 soon so maybe we'll get a surprise Switch version?
My Game Collection

Offline Shaymin

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2017, 07:30:36 PM »
It'd be nice, but it's HIGHLY unlikely. Maybe a port/remaster of RDR1?
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2017, 06:23:00 PM »
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2017, 12:32:47 AM »
Have you guys seen the WolfII advertising and online memes?

it takes a surprisingly unsurprising political slant (thanks to recent US events....)
the worst part about it, is that nothing about the games topic and direction has changed at all....
just the marketing... haters be damned though.

https://twitter.com/wolfenstein/status/919684333207568385 (gif below)

#MANFA
https://twitter.com/wolfenstein/status/916075551382585344

https://twitter.com/wolfenstein/status/917162715684016129

(meme) http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/001/218/044/70e.gif
edited https://mobile.twitter.com/Sodakick/status/919754485488017408/video/1

« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 01:06:02 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2017, 01:30:46 AM »
Despite how much we love them and how many millions of copies the biggest games sell, videogames are still very much a niche sub-culture, especially compared to movies or television.  Those interpreting the new Wolfenstein as some sort of topical political statement are probably unaware that the series is decades old and that killing Nazis, usually in a pretty violent way, has been a key part of the series the whole time.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2017, 03:41:48 AM »
Aw geez. Now I gotta ban BlackNMild2k1 for posting with political intent....
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2017, 03:48:09 PM »
Haha those Wolfenstein advertisements are pretty funny, "so much for the tolerant left!" is my favourite. Are the new Wolfenstein games any good? It's kind of bananas how Wolfenstein is still around, but other (arguably more prominent?) WW2 shooters like Medal of Honor have vanished. If they get good reviews I'll definitely consider getting one of these Bethesda shooters once I buy a Switch.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2017, 07:43:29 PM »
Doom is out on November 10.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2017, 10:02:43 PM »
I guess Nintendo was DOOM-ed after all.  :cool; :cool; :cool;
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2017, 09:12:40 AM »
I didn't want to create a new thread, but SMTV just announced as a Switch exclusive
https://mobile.twitter.com/nibellion/status/922435146531340288

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2017, 11:23:13 AM »
This is the Doom thread...

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2017, 01:31:03 PM »
If they made a "classic graphics" pack for DooM, that would be pretty funny.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2017, 02:18:28 PM »

Only if it still didn't run at 60fps. Now that would be funny.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2017, 07:37:10 PM »

There's honestly already secret rooms in DOOM that have classic graphics in them. :O
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2017, 06:44:38 AM »
I got to play Doom and Skyrim on Switch. At PAX Aus, Nintendo had 15 minute demos of both games.

I know this is a Doom topic, but Im going to talk about both.

Skyrim really impressed me with how smoothly it ran I didnt notice any slow down or frame drops. I chose to only play this one docked with the pro controller. It controls just as you would expect, but I didnt try the motion controls.
It doesnt look as nice as the remaster, but it doesnt loom bad. I haven't played the original game since 2012, so I cant remember how it compares.
Playing the demo confirmed my decision to buy it for Switch.

I was originally not planning on buying Doom again for Switch, but the demo totally changed my mind.
I started the demo in handheld mode and it was amazing. They did a great job getting it running well on Switch. It looks very nice on the Switch screen.
I remembered it was supposed to have motion controls. I looked in the options and it was turned on, but it wasnt doing anything. I tried in handheld, docked with joy con off and with the pro controller and nothing would happen if you tilt the controllers like in Splatoon.
Docked it where you will notice the graphical downgrade, but like Skyrim, it doesn't look bad, it just doesn't look as good as the Xbox version.

So, overall I was very happy with both demos and I will buy both games. Im also very much looking forward to Wolfenstein on Switch.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2017, 04:01:44 PM »
Is anyone picking up DOOM soon as it released today? I hope to get it this Christmas as I loved the campaign on the PS4 and would love a multiplayer FPS on Switch to play. I platinumed the base game of DOOM on PS4, but couldn't keep it on my system's hard drive since it took up an insane amount of storage space!

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2017, 06:52:00 AM »
I wont be buying it for a while. Maybe not until January

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2017, 12:25:01 PM »
Picked up Doom yesterday, enjoying it so far. I did run into the audio volume glitch, but overall I am enjoying it. Tried a bit of multiplayer its fast and brutal like I like it, but I did get a game error while playing it. I wonder how many Splatoon 2 players will jump into Doom multiplayer?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2017, 01:33:18 PM »
Does the online multiplayer have any team or co-op modes?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2017, 01:48:12 PM »
Yeah there are serveral Team Play types.

Team Deathmatch
Domination
Soul Harvest
Warpath
Sector
Freeze Tag
Cal Arena
Infernal Run

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2017, 02:06:29 AM »
Really wishing I waited on buying Hyrule Warriors and held off a bit to buy DOOM. Really itching for an arcade shooter and this seems to fit the bill.

Watched the Digital Foundry video for the Switch version and I'm very impressed with what they pulled off.
My Game Collection

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 12, 2017, 07:39:59 AM »
I wanna buy it but I have a bitchin' PC that gets 175FPS @ 1920x1200 in DOOM...still might do it because you can play it on the go though. But then again, LA Noire, Rocket League, and Skyrim are out this week and I want to get all of those too.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 12, 2017, 07:57:09 PM »
I committed and did my part! I've been waiting to really dive into a DOOM game for years and can't wait to really get into this. Looking forward to playing some of you online.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 13, 2017, 12:31:59 AM »
I have my Switch Xmas Starter Pack (-1 game not shown)

missing Skyrim, and hopefully Wolfenstein, and then one other kid friendly game (taking suggestions - something I could get into w/ my daughter)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2017, 12:35:55 AM »
How old is your daughter? Younger, maybe 1,2 Switch. Little older perhaps the retail release of Snipper Clips.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2017, 01:23:20 AM »
She's 5

But she like the Batman Arkham Asylum game and Injustice on the Wii U
and no, I didn't make her play it, I came in the room, and she was already playing it (picked it out and put the disc in herself) and asked me to help her.

She also like the LEGO City game as well.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 13, 2017, 09:11:02 PM »
Rocket League?

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 14, 2017, 11:49:09 AM »
Maybe ARMS? Can't say how easy to pick up and play it might be and you might need another pair of controllers for 2 player action but if she liked Injustice perhaps another fighting game with colorful characters would be appealing to her.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2017, 12:11:55 AM »
I was thinking about ARMS, maybe I'll take her to Target and play the demo, see what she thinks of it.

But Quick question (because I don't want to start a new thread)

Should i open the Switch and set it up ahead of Xmas so that we aren't doing 6hrs of updates and setup?

and OMG at the cost of the fucking controllers for this thing. Those joy cons better have "cure for arthritis" on the box, jfc.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2017, 01:34:57 AM »
Yes, update it and update the games.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #69 on: November 20, 2017, 10:38:42 PM »
She's 5

But she like the Batman Arkham Asylum game and Injustice on the Wii U
and no, I didn't make her play it, I came in the room, and she was already playing it (picked it out and put the disc in herself) and asked me to help her.

She also like the LEGO City game as well.

I believe LEGO City Undercover will be $20 this week at various retailers for Black Friday sales. The updated versions (Switch, PS4, XB1, PC) have co-op play in the open world area this time around. That could be something you guys play together, and you don't even have to stay in the same block of town if you guys don't want to thanks to the split screen.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2017, 11:20:46 PM »
I second the recommendations for Lego City Undercover on the Switch.

Also, Snipper Clips just got an expansion  & physical release. My wife, nephew, and I loved playing the initial release (my nephew is 6).
My Game Collection

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 21, 2017, 12:14:18 AM »
Lego Worlds is going to be $20, I don't know about City. I believe Minecraft Story Mode will be as well, and so will Telltale Batman (GameStop). Best Buy and Wal-Mart will have the best Switch BF deals.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 25, 2017, 08:01:40 AM »
Picked up Doom last night. It was either this or Skyrim and Best Buy didn't seem to have Skyrim in stock so I got Doom. They had a crazy deal on Google Home Mini ($29.99 w/ free $10 gift card), so I got 2 of those which basically brought the price down to $27.99 after Gamers Club Unlocked discount, so I figured what the hell.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 26, 2017, 08:28:57 PM »
So, has anyone actually played the game on Switch?

There's some pretty drastic texture muddling in handheld mode, and sometimes the game audio freaks the hell out, but man, is this game fun. Jumping around and blasting demons in the face with one of many shotguns and the other delicious weaponry in this game is so awesome.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 27, 2017, 01:23:11 AM »
The audio bug is my biggest gripe, Part of me wants to wait for a patch to finish it. The game is so much good fun though.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 01:25:38 AM by ShyGuy »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 27, 2017, 08:18:08 PM »
I heard if you turn off one of the effects (can't remember which one off hand) it will clear the game up a lot.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2018, 11:11:36 PM »
So I have this game, but still haven't played it. However, there was a new patch just released which improves the frame rate and resolution, fixes audio glitches, and *adds motion controls!* Apparently they work really well, too - putting the controls closer to being on-par with a mouse and keyboard. Good to see continued support from Panic Button/Bethesda, and this leads to pretty high expectations for Wolfenstein.

Offline MargaretN64

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • CheckDirector
« Reply #77 on: February 21, 2018, 05:00:52 AM »
Just wanted to let you guys know that after the patch my framerates improved a bit and the sound issues are no long occuring. I mean the game was fully playable previously, but now I dont have to bother with restarting the game every now and then :)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 22, 2018, 12:43:30 AM »
I still need to get around to picking this up, glad I waited so I can enjoy the full game with motion and the other enhancements.
My Game Collection

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 22, 2018, 01:05:23 AM »
I'd been meaning to go back and play more of Doom, and this news just solidifies that. The motion controls sound great, because I was having control issues that forced me to lower the difficulty, but that ended up making it too easy. Hopefully this will fix that for me.

J.P. Corbran

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 22, 2018, 05:22:21 AM »
Tried out the motion controls, was impressed. They actually feel more like Breath of the Wild motion controls than Splatoon to me. I cranked the motion sensitivity to 100% and still used the the right stick along with nudging the aim with motion.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 22, 2018, 11:56:14 AM »
Yeah, it's combo analog + gyro like Zelda, which is way better than Splatoon.

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 23, 2018, 08:03:09 PM »
I havent bought the game yet, but Im very happy with the addition of motion controls controls

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 24, 2018, 02:05:53 PM »
The addition of motion aiming makes me more likely to grab this game at some point.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 01, 2018, 11:45:46 PM »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 02, 2018, 12:40:22 AM »
Diablo 3 would be PERFECT for the Switch!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 02, 2018, 01:55:03 AM »
I've wanted that kind of time sink loot grinding game on Switch for a while now, so this is great news. I'd like to see something in the Borderlands series as well.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 02, 2018, 02:03:51 AM »
Oh man! Diablo would be awesome! I'm about to drop some cash on Doom finally. Only thing holding me back is school, I'll be too tempted to play. Just gotta hold out a few more weeks and I'll snag it for spring break.
My Game Collection

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 02, 2018, 02:18:29 AM »
I realllllly didn't want to like the Switch as much as I currently do.

But Diablo 3? Jeez, go ahead and destroy my free time.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 02, 2018, 04:16:22 PM »
Diablo III has co-op, right? If so, I could probably go for that.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 03, 2018, 03:18:05 AM »
Diablo is a great co-op game. I don't think I've played more than a few hours of a Diablo-style (isometric dungeon crawler?) game in single player.
My Game Collection

Offline Shaymin

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #91 on: March 03, 2018, 08:24:08 AM »
The term is third-person looter.
Tutorial box out.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 03, 2018, 12:50:25 PM »
I believe it's part of the Character Auction genre?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 07, 2018, 11:20:13 PM »
It's real!

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 08, 2018, 10:48:38 PM »
Looking pretty decent.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 08, 2018, 11:07:08 PM »
Makes me hope that Nintendo releases an update that increases the CPU clock for the Switch. Screw battery life...I think it's worth it for better frame rates.

Offline Seacor

• Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 09, 2018, 11:13:39 PM »
I generally play DOOM in handheld mode with attached joy-cons, but I don't feel I have found ideal controller sensitivity settings. Is their a general consensus on optimal controller setting percentages for Horizontal Sensitivity, Vertical Sensitivity, Look Smoothing and Motion Sensitivity?  What controller sensitivity levels do some of you have set?

Currently, I have set:
H: 35%
V: 35%
Look: 25%
Motion: 50%
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 11:25:02 PM by Seacor »
"Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die."

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 10, 2018, 12:31:52 AM »
After experimenting, I ended up with these settings:

H: 20%
V: 14%
Look: 65%
Motion 70%

Offline Seacor

• Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 14, 2018, 08:56:43 PM »
After experimenting, I ended up with these settings:

H: 20%
V: 14%
Look: 65%
Motion 70%

Thanks ShyGuy. I’ve been playing with these settings and they are actually working out nicely.
"Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die."

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 25, 2018, 05:02:27 PM »
I finally started digging into DOOM, and I have the sensitivity cranked up to 100. I had hopes it would feel a bit more like the old Wii FPS pointer controls, but it isn't quite to that point. I'm getting used to it though. Left the other settings all the same for now.

Am I correct in understanding that I have to choose between motion aiming and motion melee? If I turn on melee it disables the aiming. I had hoped I could use the right side for aiming and the left for melee similar again to how you could use the nunchuck  for melee or reloading in COD on Wii.

It is also nice to have health matter again in an FPS. And the glory kill feature giving out health really helps bring a fun twist. Makes me more prone to charge enemies and attempt for melee damage as it guarantees I get a steady stream of health (though one or two mistakes can cost you).
My Game Collection

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 21, 2018, 03:45:31 AM »
........nothing to see here....

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 10, 2018, 05:32:07 PM »
Doom Eternal already confirmed for Switch, nice!

https://twitter.com/DOOM/status/1027967953919201282

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 10, 2018, 07:54:42 PM »
Booyah!

Now All we need is Doom Guy in Smash Bros. He can be like an Echo Mega Man Character
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 08:46:54 PM by ThePerm »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 13, 2018, 07:46:13 AM »
The fact that it's coming day and date is the most exciting thing about this news.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 13, 2018, 08:28:09 AM »
That's the plan at least. It's Panic Button handling the port again, but Id says they're gonna be supporting them too and consider Switch a "first class citizen."