Author Topic: Epic fail--customer service the great american pastime.  (Read 1960 times)

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
Epic fail--customer service the great american pastime.
« on: March 13, 2012, 12:04:37 PM »
Last night I decide to take advantage of Best Buy's buy 2 get 1 free deal just to drive to the store (after receiving my confirmation email) to pick up my games and low and behold they're not there.  Spend about an hour in store waiting for the employees to search but they come up empty and give me a telephone number to call.

Call up BB Customer service and after another 1hr and 1/2 find that they don't have any of games available in my area nor in any of their stores and will not be able to process my order so the whole thing was canceled. 
Check by credit card to see if I was billed and notice not only was I billed but I was overcharged nearly three times what the order original was.  Called up CS again and waited nearly an 1/2 hr to finally get an agent, another 1/2 goes by after I give them all the info just to have an "disconnect". 

I just spent four hours being fooked by BB--great way to start the day :) .

« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 12:10:03 PM by Ymeegod »

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
Re: Epic fail--customer service the great american pastime.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 12:44:57 PM »
I've heard of this exact same thing at other Best Buys. **** that place

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 02:05:33 PM »
The problem with customer service is that anything worth a **** requires some supervisor to do.  The phone mooks aren't authorized to do it.  But I'm never going to phone customer service unless it is something major.  I'm not an idiot.  I don't phone to ask how to do routine stuff.  So essentially all the guys on the phone are for is to stall me until I can finally talk to someone who can do what I need.  I suspect the whole thing in intentionally inefficient and annoying to discourage me from calling.  If I got overcharged they want me to stop and think "is this worth going through customer service hell over?" and they're hoping I just won't bother and they can keep the money they overcharged or not have to refund me for a defective product, etc.

The worst is always when my internet is down because I know they have some sort of "switch" in their software to reset my connection.  But they'll ask me dumb stuff like if I turned the router off and on or if everything is plugged in.  I check that stuff BEFORE I call because calling is a pain in the ass.  If I can fix it myself why would I call?  I only call if I can't fix it myself.  So each call is me trying to get them to "flick the switch" on their side and get me back up, only if you can't actually say "just flick the switch" because they act like it's always your problem.  A friend of mine even lied about turning the router off and on and then when everything immediately started working he told the rep "I didn't do anything here at all.  Obviously YOU did something on your end during the time you thought I was restarting the router.  Why don't you just do that right away instead of giving this runaround?"  The rep dodged the question.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 02:40:35 PM »
Ian, customer support is set up that way on purpose. Most people are idiots with stupid problems. They don't even try to solve the problem themselves beforehand. Most people like to keep themselves ignorant. Low level phone reps with a script are fine for them. There is absolutely no sense in wasting the time of the knowledgeable employees with every little issue their retarded customers have. Is it annoying for when you have a real problem? Sure, but the flow is usually there for a reason.

As for Best Buy... don't shop there. The place is terrible and always has been. They have a terrible selection and even worse prices. That's not even mentioning their undereducated and overly persistent employees.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 03:40:37 PM »
I must have been fantastic back when I was working retail. I had effectively managerial powers when it came to day to day problems and returns. I was never comfortable issuing discounts unless I knew of them before hand. I had to get them signed off at the end of the day, but that took 10 seconds as I had the store mangers trust. In fact I was doing it so well, I assume it would freak out statistical analysis done on me since during the quiet times of the year I would do Negative sales over the whole day or near zero while everybody else was doing a couple of grand in sales. You would think I was stealing from the store in some sort of scam.

I was an anomaly though as few are willing to step up to the plate and enjoy the extra responsibility. The one thing I didn't do was sell the store credit card and I did get a talking to about it from the team leader. But I wasn't fussed about it. I have seen too many ridiculous store credit card bills to consider it ethical to push it. If you asked for it, I wouldn't stop you, but I would never, ever try to sell you on it.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?