Author Topic: Wii U to Have $300 Price Tag, Simultaneous Tablet Play?  (Read 35119 times)

Offline Webmalfunction

• Pokémon World Report
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 7
    • View Profile
Wii U to Have $300 Price Tag, Simultaneous Tablet Play?
« on: May 11, 2012, 12:36:30 AM »

Two tablets might not be out of the question.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rumor/30111

A Global TestMarket survey may have revealed new Wii U tablet functionality and a tentative $300 price tag, as reported by GoNintendo reader Porygon.

In one question on the survey, the question is asked: "How likely are you to purchase Wii U if it cost: $299.99?", potentially suggesting a general pricing range.

In addition, a series of pictures showing off gameplay, Netflix, and sports game features was revealed, and one pictures appears to show gameplay between either two Wii U tablets or a tablet and a Wii remote. If it is the former, it will be contrary to previous suspicion that only one Wii U tablet will be playable at a time.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U to Have $300 Price Tag, Simultaneous Tablet Play?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 12:40:12 AM »
Bonerstorm if true. Bonerstorm.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 12:42:27 AM »
Not surprising if it's true. Nintendo said they would support two Wii U Controllers if they could make it work.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 12:50:05 AM »
I'd be pretty surprised if Nintendo pulled it off and launched at $300. If they were struggling to get 2 tablet controllers to work before, they probably had to tweak the chipset. I expected Nintendo to launch at $350 without knowing if they could get 2 tablet controllers per console working. If anything, i would have expected the price to go up from my guess. I'll gladly save $50 instead.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 01:06:59 AM »
I think I would have been willing to pay as high as $399.99 as long as it was a beast of a console and the price was justified. $300 is certainly better on my wallet though, but the question still remains of how powerful is this thing going to be? I'm hoping Nintendo is only breaking even on this, or even selling it at a loss. If I find out they are making a considerable profit on each unit sold I might hold off on buying this until the inevitable price cuts.
is your sanity...

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 01:16:34 AM »
At $300 the only reaction I have is... "Shut up and take my money!"

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 01:57:01 AM »
I don't think they can go any higher then 300 USD if its released as a stand alone. Or with a Wii sports title. HOWEVER if they release it with Mario then can go up $50 and if they release some kind of bundle where you get more stuff. (i.e. Classic controller, wii motionplus controller, zapper, etc) i can see it going for 400 smackers. But they NEED  to have a cheaper $300 model to compete with aging cheaper systems.*cough* 99 dollar 360 *cough*

although i am a firm believer in the old saying  "you get what you pay for "

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 02:01:15 AM »
I'm just curious about what kind of remote bundles it'll have.  I know I'm a bit of an exception, but I have many, many Wii Remotes already and would be thrilled to have the system a little cheaper without having to pay for yet another Wii Remote.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline SMWiz

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 02:15:54 AM »
These surveys serve as a blind control group study. The price could be higher or lower (not likely lower, but possible). As for the two controllers, I never doubted Nintendo could make it work--the technology is available.

My concern is over the price of the tablets. In previous statements, Nintendo claimed the Wii U would only use one tablet due to the prohibitively high cost of such a device. I don't want $100+ controllers. It's obscene enough paying $40 for a Wiimote and $20 for a nunchuck, much like paying $60 for a PS3 controller.

If the controllers are expensive enough to discourage owning more than one, developers will be hesitant to develop titles that require multiple tablets. An unused feature is a useless feature (for example the modem for the Gamecube or the component cables for the Gamecube).

E3 will give us a better idea of what we are facing.

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• Embrace the status quo.
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 02:26:56 AM »
Am I the only one who doesn't want >1 tablet capability?

A) I don't want to pay for a 2nd one.  I doubt they're cheap.

B) Given item "A," I don't want to have an expensive piece of hardware sitting around barely getting used.  You see, if two or more tablets come in the original box, developers can make games with that in mind.  But if not, developers will be gun shy about it.  Just as they ignore every other non-packed-in peripheral on the market (motion plus, balance board, move, kinect).

Why are we begging Nintendo to put us and developers in that uncomfortable position?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 02:33:26 AM »
yes, you are the only one.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2012, 02:37:51 AM »
I agree with BnM.  I want multiple tablets. :D

Gimme 4 tablets. :D
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2012, 02:52:28 AM »
Am I the only one who doesn't want >1 tablet capability?

You don't have to buy an extra controller or use that capability. Its no skin off your teeth if its there. Just don't use it if you don't want to.
is your sanity...

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2012, 03:02:43 AM »
I don't wanna sound like a negative Nancy, but that looks like a WiiMote in the picture. The picture almost goes out of its way to show the uPad, but the other shows little depth and looks like the guy is only holding it with two fingers, not gripping it with his hands.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2012, 03:07:55 AM »
But there is no trigger underneath what could be the wiimote, not that the tablet has a lot of detail but still.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2012, 03:12:25 AM »
I think the main tell is the screen. The other pics at the source link (which may need to be fixed) show you the screen on the uPad in every pic. It'd be odd to leave it out there.

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2012, 03:31:06 AM »
You don't have to buy an extra controller or use that capability. Its no skin off your teeth if its there. Just don't use it if you don't want to.

I know people like to use the "you don't have to buy ____ if you don't want to" excuse to justify almost anything (DLC, adequately sized proprietary memory cards, etc.), but it doesn't apply here.

If the Wii U supports multiple tablets, then Game Developer X may decide Local Multiplayer Game Y's control scheme is "best suited" for everyone using a tablet controller.  In which case, I have to either pony up the cash or miss out on the full experience.

However, if Game Developer X knows they have to build the experience around a maximum of 1 tablet and 4 wiimotes then we either get everyone on the level wiimote playing field or some kind of asymetric game design.

In other words, if the option of more controllers isn't there, games won't be designed where people have to fight over who gets to use the tablet because it would be idiotic to design games where that experience had an advantage in local multiplayer.

Now, IF the tablet controllers were each, say, $40 bucks??? Sure, tablets for everybody!! But I don't see that happening... do you?

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2012, 03:40:10 AM »
So, basically, you want game developers to be forced to program substandard games to meet artificial hardware requirements?

That's worked out well for Nintendo this generation.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2012, 03:46:50 AM »
So we should all miss out on better local multi-player because you are too cheap to buy a second controller?

"and" is the key work you should be looking, not "or"
Why can't we have and expect both options to be possible at the same time?

If they were already going to design for asymetrical multi, then it will still be there. But they can also do more with symetrical  tablet play too.

Madden 2013, each player has their own private screen for picking plays, calling audibles, and creating plays on the fly..

Starcraft 2, each player is able to manage their own site on the touch screen while game data such as stats and other game related info displays on the TV.

Resident Evil 6.5, both players up on the TV, inventory and player data down on their own personal screens.

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, 2 players each with their characters move set, special move combos & backup player info down on the touch screen

and those are just off the top of my head. I'm sure you could come up with even better examples had you put some thought into it.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2012, 03:56:22 AM »
The problem with the asymmetrical idea is that there are 2 cool things you can do with the controller: what Nintendo showed us, and what BNM just mentioned. Being able to call plays in secret gives one player a clear advantage in a game like Madden. Now, the asymmetry is giving one player an unfair advantage in a game where the two should be on equal playing fields. This is also a good reason for Nintendo to design another "classic" controller. Something more Wavebird-y that I don't need to plug in to a WiiMote and has motion controls, maybe an extra Z-button too. Hint, hint. (I know you're reading this, Nintendo.)

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2012, 03:56:36 AM »
@UncleBob

It would only be for local multiplayer.   1P and online multiplayer wouldn't be impacted at all.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass when I ask: what do you think is so bad about just using the wiimote/nunchuk/CC for local multiplayer?

I mean, wouldn't it even make sense for people to all be looking at the same screen (the TV) unless there is some kind of asymetric gameplay?

Is no one going to address the issue of cost I've raised?*

I've been on overdrive for several days straight now and I'm extraordinarily tired so, if I've said something foolish... I'll correct it later.  :) Until then, I stand by my long-held 1-tablet opinion.

@BnM

*Your post showed up as I was submitting.  I guess you addressed the cost issue ... by calling me cheap. =P

---

Bottom line: I think support for 16 tablet controllers could do some cool things.  I just don't think those things would be worth the cost to the consumer and the pussy footing that I can say with confidence will be done by developers.  Again, unless they all come in the box from the start .... which they won't.

Does no one remember how few games supported motion plus or the balance board? It wasn't because WM+ was inferior to the wiimote, it's because developers didn't want to risk limiting their market!

... now I need sleep.  I'm supposed to walk across a stage and get something put around my neck in a few hours..... (note: I'm not being executed  ;D ..... unless only wanting 1 tablet is a capital offense... hmmm)..... Zzzzzzzz

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2012, 03:57:18 AM »
Well, in many cases buying additional controllers may not be necessary because every Wii U owner will have the one that came bundled with their system, so if they went over to a friend's house for some local multiplayer gaming they could just bring along their bundled tablet.

So it won't always be necessary to buy additional separate tablets in order to enjoy this functionality. Its true that a lot of people won't own a Wii U so this won't always be the case, but if that's the case maybe they should at least pitch in half of the additional controller's cost.

I also don't think the tablet is going to be $100. $80 would probably be the high end, but it could also possibly be only $60. Its in Nintendo's best interest to get as many controllers into as many hands as possible so there is no reason for them to try profiting off the tablets. So I don't think Nintendo will price those higher than they have to.

Also, don't forget that the 3DS will be able to double as a tablet controller, so even if you have friends who don't have a Wii U as long as they have that everything should be fine. Or they could borrow yours if you have one.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 03:59:03 AM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2012, 04:00:30 AM »
Plus, support for two is all anyone is asking for. I bought 3 WiiMotes, and two games for the M+s that came with them. THEN I got two WM+s (though for like $8 each). Having to buy only one more uPad still brings the cost of being fully equipped down.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2012, 04:09:43 AM »
NinSage - it doesn't matter what a developer chooses to use it for - I'm saying that I support the developer being given the OPTION to use it.  That's it.

If they don't, fine... no sweat off my back.  If they do, and do it well, then awesome!

Developers like options.  They might use them to make a stand out, awesome game, or they might ignore them in order to have a wider user base.  That choice, however, should be up to the developer - not up to some artificial hardware limitation created because someone might not want to buy a second controller.

I'm thankful your mindset hasn't been in charge of development at some point.  We would have never gotten the 4-Score for the NES, the Multi-Tap for the SNES (and thus, no four player Bomberman!), no Four Swords on the Game Cube, no fun at all.

Offline joseph.erxleben

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2012, 05:41:30 AM »
What are they doing in the last picture.. controlling Netflix while watching Batman Begins and.. something with baseball.. but what? Watching highlighs during the game and seeing stats?