Author Topic: The Sad State of Virtual Console on 3DS in North America  (Read 10150 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Re: The Sad State of Virtual Console on 3DS in North America
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2012, 03:23:44 PM »
This article that we're commenting on has nothing to do with insider connections.

When did anyone say it did? He asked me about news on our site.  Totally unrelated to this piece, which, as I said from the start, is not news, it's an editorial or "blog" as the site states.

Actually, I didn't ask about the news on your site - wasn't even aware you had one.  I was being a smart***. ;)

But to Neal's point - this article, like many others that you seem to have a negative attitude towards, are not articles that require insider information, hard-to-aquire interviews, pre-release copies of games, etc., etc.  It's an editorial (hey, didn't you say that's what's on your site?) analyzing one man's opinion regarding very public information.

Just like the thread where they posted the - very public - press release detailing the lack of games for the Wii.

Almost like the thread where a staff member discussed their disappointment with one of the rewards they ordered from Club Nintendo - though, I guess, the rewards aren't 100% "public", since you do have to be a member of their exclusive club. :D

You can write up an article - using this very same public information - detailing why the Virtual Console is so hot right now and why it's awesome to be the Wii.  Then, link to it so we can all go to your site and read it.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2012, 03:27:33 PM »
Totally unrelated to this piece

Then take it to another part of the forum. :)

But objective reporting, even when passionate and non-sterilized, should have even roughly equal measure good things to say.  All I'm trying to communicate is that that shouldn't be such an insane and apparently offensive idea.  Can anyone explain why that is the case?

This was an opinionated article based on fact. We practice objectivity in our news stories, which, for the most part (the abstracts are usually the exception), just present the facts. Any review or editorial is inherently subjective. We're not aiming to be dishonest or inaccurate; we just present our subjective opinions in this blogs/editorials and in our podcasts. It's not an insane idea to write about something like the latest rush of Wii VC games; it's just not an idea that anyone on staff (except maybe Daan, who apparently is loving Super Hang-On) feels passionate about to write about. We are all 100% volunteer, so if we don't have the passion to write about something, it likely won't happen.

Go ahead and crap on other media outlets who do this professionally (and generally focus on things that interest them, which is usually not Nintendo-related), but don't attack our staff about how we're not super jazzed for Street Fighter II on Genesis being online.

And I know you're not meaning to attack us, but as I'll continue to say, your writing style and heavy use of bold say otherwise. I know from talking to you that you don't mean to attack us in the way some members of the forums/staff take it, but the fact that we all generally take it as you attacking us means that we're not crazy.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• Embrace the status quo.
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2012, 03:40:20 PM »
Quick note: My constant use of bold is not meant as yelling.  It's meant as a service for folks who may only want to skim large amounts of text.  That way, I can say a lot without sacrificing the communication of key elements.

Is there a better way I should do this?

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2012, 03:47:35 PM »
NinSage (or should I start calling you Pollyanna?  ;) ), I don't think anyone thinks that positivity is "insane and offensive."  However, I do think that going to all these articles and telling staff members how they should think and how they should write IS insane and offensive.  And, frankly, you're the only person on this site that I've seen who does that.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 03:59:21 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2012, 03:48:06 PM »
NinSage - anyone who isn't willing to take the time to read your post isn't worth responding to.  Thus, don't bother trying to make it easy for them.

You may not believe it, but even I read through your posts before responding to them.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2012, 04:08:19 PM »
First of all Broodwars are we really resorting to name calling here. I do know what you are referring to and it is cute.

Second of all I think most people here on this site would either not do it publicly here like Sage is doing here and do it via PM also I do want to point out that I have noticed that the writing style lately has been getting a bit less objective. I just haven't had the time to comment on them personally or the patience to either. I am busy with many things myself.

Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2012, 04:10:22 PM »
First of all Broodwars are we really resorting to name calling here. I do know what you are referring to and it is cute.

Which is why I went back and added the winking face emoticon, as that was really meant to be more joking than originally written.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2012, 05:04:22 PM »
@ejamer

A fair point.  But why have people bothered complaining about a lack of Wii VC if they won't be pleased by quality releases?  The answer to that only seems to be that they expected/demanded (good) games being released CONSTANTLY and indefinitely.  Which might be a little unrealistic, no?

Except people here are complaining about the 3DS Virtual Console - a service that should be going strong right now because there aren't that many retail (or even digital) releases to compete with, making it the perfect opportunity to fill in the current gaps with older catalog titles.

It's great to see that Wii Virtual Console still has some life, but for many people it's a case of "too little, too late" since they've already moved on.  For 3DS it's prime time right now, which is probably why some people are vocally disappointed that NoA seems to be avoiding 3DS Virtual Console releases.  (Although NoE has shown far fewer original eShop releases - we probably get the better deal on that one?)

Problem is, we really don't know what the answer is, since Nintendo is historically frustratingly tight-lipped about their inner workings, but I seriously doubt it's part of some evil plot by Reggie to hate upon Nintendo fans.

Good points all around from this post, but I wanted to highlight this statement because limited communication and a failure to set appropriate expectations is what has me the most frustrated with NoA over the past couple of years. (Better communication and fan involvement isn't required.  It sure would be nice though.)
NNID: ejamer

Offline C-Olimar

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2012, 07:06:34 PM »
Yeah, I feel sorry for America's lack of Virtual Console games.

« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2012, 12:38:03 AM »
"Oh, you want balance? You got it. You know those Club Nintendo blog posts I write? I've written favorable reviews of Kirby patches, Hanafuna cards, Mario & Co. figurine, Mario buttons, and DS game case. I wrote unfavorable pieces about the Wii Remote holder aaand the Handheld History cards (which you threw a hissy fit about). So for Club Nintendo rewards, guess what? I'm MORE Positive than negative. But that's not good enough, is it? What kind of skew would you like to see? 90-10? 95-5? 'Cause it's not 50/50, and it's not 80/20, either.

Oh, but I'm sure I'm just misunderstanding you. In fact, it seems people misunderstand you a LOT. As a rhetoric major who drafts and interprets construction contracts for a living, I can tell you that the fault lies not with the audience. Want to be a better rhetor? Go study Aristotle, Socrates, Plato, Cicero and Quintillion. When you can form a cohesive argument clearly, concisely, and free of argumentative fallacies, we'll talk."

That was completely unprofessional and insulting. What is this IGN?

As a new reader this is extremely off putting. I may not return if i am spoken to this way

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2012, 12:56:49 PM »
Please do not judge all of us by one staffer's rant. :(

I am noticing, per a Twitter interaction with people over this week's possible North American downloads, I'm getting increasingly spiteful about all this. It's just a terrible feeling not thinking anything for the Game Boy will come out knowing how much I enjoyed regular 3DS VC releases of Game Boy games last year. Game Gear games are okay, as it is likely Sonic Labyrinth will hit NA on Thursday, but that's a system I could really care less about. I bought the previous Sonic GG game and was nonplussed.

I just really want to play Kid Icarus GB, Wario Land, Kirby's Block Ball, G&W Gallery 2, etc. It is beginning to not make sense to me in any way, shape, or form, as to why these haven't come out in North America. I'm just baffled.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2012, 03:16:39 PM »
Nintendo should just start making quarterly release shecudles for VC games.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2012, 03:46:42 PM »
That would solve most issues I have with the current state of things.

At the very least a "this month in games" press release like Japan always does would do.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2012, 06:26:43 PM »
but balance it out with equal measures praise and gratitude.

We should be GRATEFUL that Nintendo allows us to buy their products? 
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 09:50:39 PM by NWR_DrewMG »
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2012, 09:45:03 PM »
"Oh, you want balance? You got it. You know those Club Nintendo blog posts I write? I've written favorable reviews of Kirby patches, Hanafuna cards, Mario & Co. figurine, Mario buttons, and DS game case. I wrote unfavorable pieces about the Wii Remote holder aaand the Handheld History cards (which you threw a hissy fit about). So for Club Nintendo rewards, guess what? I'm MORE Positive than negative. But that's not good enough, is it? What kind of skew would you like to see? 90-10? 95-5? 'Cause it's not 50/50, and it's not 80/20, either.

Oh, but I'm sure I'm just misunderstanding you. In fact, it seems people misunderstand you a LOT. As a rhetoric major who drafts and interprets construction contracts for a living, I can tell you that the fault lies not with the audience. Want to be a better rhetor? Go study Aristotle, Socrates, Plato, Cicero and Quintillion. When you can form a cohesive argument clearly, concisely, and free of argumentative fallacies, we'll talk."

That was completely unprofessional and insulting. What is this IGN?

As a new reader this is extremely off putting. I may not return if i am spoken to this way

You probably won't be. For some context as to why I reacted this way, do a forum search for threads involving NinSage. I'll get you started.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/blog/28268
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 09:56:30 PM by Halbred »
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.