Poll

Which Super Nintendo game should we play and discuss for RetroActive #8?

Super Mario World
16 (21.1%)
ActRaiser
15 (19.7%)
Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen
10 (13.2%)
Donkey Kong Country 2
10 (13.2%)
Legend of the Mystical Ninja
10 (13.2%)
Super Mario RPG
15 (19.7%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Voting closed: August 06, 2009, 01:32:30 PM

Author Topic: RetroActive #8 Poll - SNES Edition  (Read 41006 times)

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
Re: RetroActive #8 Poll - SNES Edition
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2009, 03:12:14 PM »
All the games look good this time around, so it's really tough to vote.

I really am interested to play Orge Battle, but don't know if I have enough time for another SRPG title (still working through Fire Emblem on the GBA).

Super Mario RPG would be full of win because I never finished that game back in the day, but I'm also trying to get through an old GameCube RPG right now and don't have time for both.

In the end I voted for Mystical Ninja because it's fast and silly, and has decent two-player options.  Not the best game on the list, but I think there could be some decent discussion around it.

Regardless of what game gets picked, I think I'll try to actually play along and discuss this time.

Oh, and for the record I voted Bonk last time.  Probably the most underrated system mascot ever!  Ninja Spirit didn't appeal to me at all...  ;)
NNID: ejamer

Offline adadad

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2009, 11:37:50 AM »
Mystical Ninja I do have already but got frustrated with it and never finished it. I wouldn't mind returning as I can't remember what made me quit and never return. Having said that I'm reluctant to vote for it as I'd rather waste my own time finding out what annoyed me rather than vote that people shell out money on a game that frustrated me to the point of no return!

I feel as though this is going to be a 3 way contest between SMRPG, SMW and Mystical Ninja, and I think I'm going to vote for SMRPG which I've never played before. Actually can anyone tell me, roughly how long will it take a first timer (though I have played the subsequent Paper Mario games) to complete SMRPG?

Super Mario World is one of my least favourite Mario games but everyone seems to love it so I would be entirely unsurprised if that won it.

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2009, 05:03:55 PM »
I'd say SMRPG takes about 30 hours, give or take for sidequests and exploration. But I don't remember there being all that many sidequeststs....I'm bad at finding sidequests, though.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2009, 05:11:03 PM »
There aren't very many sidequests, just a few side things you can do here and there but the game is pretty straightforward. 30 hours seems a bit high of an estimation though; the game seems somewhat short to me, even for a Super NES RPG. Though it's been too long since my first play though and the game doesn't have a timer so I've never timed it.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2009, 05:16:19 PM »

Super Mario World is one of my least favourite Mario games but everyone seems to love it so I would be entirely unsurprised if that won it.

Reinforcements!
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2009, 05:38:34 PM »
SMW losing isn't the end of the world, since that means SMB3 is more likely to be part of a RetroActive poll.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2009, 10:09:00 PM »
There aren't very many sidequests, just a few side things you can do here and there but the game is pretty straightforward. 30 hours seems a bit high of an estimation though; the game seems somewhat short to me, even for a Super NES RPG. Though it's been too long since my first play though and the game doesn't have a timer so I've never timed it.

I just replayed it about a week ago, and I'd be shocked if it took me more than 10-15 hours or so and I did all the sidequests (hell, Culex alone probably took me at least 30 minutes -> an hour to beat, and I had the Lazy Shell armor and everything.  I also went through Bowser's Keep twice to get all the items.).  It's not as long a game as we all remember, though still awesome.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 10:11:58 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2009, 11:27:02 PM »
That's a replay though, I think TheYoungerPlumber's quote was for one's first time through. I'd think a first run would be around 20-25 hours depending on whether or not you like to take your time.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2009, 06:00:15 AM »
That's a replay though, I think TheYoungerPlumber's quote was for one's first time through. I'd think a first run would be around 20-25 hours depending on whether or not you like to take your time.

I beat it in a week borrowing it from a friend. This was a school week so I had limited time per day to play. I'll say 20-hours tops for doing everything 100% Because I probably got 15 hours tops in those 7 days of playing it to finish the story.

'Course, I also got to the final dungeon of Link to the Past in a very similar time frame as I borrowed that from the same friend the week before or after Mario RPG. So how may hours does it take to finish ALttP?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 06:02:08 AM by Stratos »
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2009, 09:45:09 AM »

There's not really an over-world that you can explore.  It's setup a lot like M&L: Partners in Time.  When you complete one area you open up a new one on a selectable map.

It's impossible to get lost, so I don't think playing it for the first time would dramatically increase the time it takes to beat it.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 26, 2009, 02:25:11 PM »
Like I said, it depends on the type of player you are. If you're trying to rush through it then it'd probably be around 15 hours for your first time. If you take your time and enjoy the sights then it would take a lot longer. It also depends on your skill.

Really I hate the question of "How long will this take?" because there are too many variables.

Offline adadad

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 26, 2009, 10:14:03 PM »
Ok thanks guys, I only asked as my playtime is going to be quite limited in the next month, but thankfully SMRPG doesn't sound too epic as far as RPGs go, especially as I don't tend to overly take my time.

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2009, 04:14:40 PM »
ActRaiser FTW !!

I heard so much about this game. I'm tempted to buy it and try it out but its so odd I'm not sure if i'll enjoy it. i want you guys thoughts.

Offline adadad

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 27, 2009, 05:58:21 PM »
ActRaiser FTW !!

I heard so much about this game. I'm tempted to buy it and try it out but its so odd I'm not sure if i'll enjoy it. i want you guys thoughts.

It's been talked about several times now on the podcast and every time the verdict is the same! Buy it. It is very good.

Yours sincerely,
The Podcast and Me

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 27, 2009, 06:51:16 PM »
ActRaiser is interesting in that none of its parts by themselves are horribly good but it is the whole package that makes it unique.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #65 on: July 27, 2009, 08:20:55 PM »
SUPER MARIO WORLD

Best game on that list and one that every Mario fan or platformer fan should play. IMO it is THE best 2D Mario game. I think everyone should play the game. I have beat the game 100% many times, but would love a reason to play it again. I think this would also provide for a big discussion here.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 27, 2009, 09:24:06 PM »
Really? I thought that was a sarcastic please like you were writing it off. Interesting.

Like I've said, I hold Ogre Battle 64 in the highest esteem.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Bboy

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 29, 2009, 02:35:18 AM »
I'm praying for DKC2, because it was the second game I ever beat. If it wins I'll definitely break out the SNES and cartridge. DKC2, probably partly due to nostalgia, is one of my top ten games ever.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 29, 2009, 05:26:52 AM »
The suspense is killing me! But we have another week to wait for the poll to close. It's times like this I wish the poll was visible... :P
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 29, 2009, 09:14:02 AM »
Actually, I think it would have been interesting to see an all Mario-game poll.  If SMW doesn't win, I'd like to see it up against SMB3, just to see which one would win out. :P

I'll be satisfied regardless of which game wins this poll.  It's a shame that only two runners up will appear in a future poll.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 30, 2009, 01:29:46 AM »
I finally decided to go with Super Mario RPG since then I won't have to actually play the game to join in on the discussion.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #71 on: July 30, 2009, 05:42:48 PM »
Is this poll still going?  I went with Actraiser because I have never played it.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #72 on: July 30, 2009, 06:24:52 PM »
It goes till August 6th Pale.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #73 on: July 30, 2009, 07:57:19 PM »
Actraiser rocks, even if it doesn't win you should still play it. I played it for the first time a couple years ago and I was blown away by how unique and interesting it was, especially when you consider its age.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #74 on: July 31, 2009, 09:26:58 PM »
ActRaiser is interesting in that none of its parts by themselves are horribly good but it is the whole package that makes it unique.

I disagree on one point -- the music is fantastic.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!