Author Topic: Radio Free Nintendo: Episode 156  (Read 12145 times)

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
Re: Radio Free Nintendo: Episode 156
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2009, 12:43:32 PM »
I never really hear anyone talk about FF8 or FF9.  I played a bit of FF8 on PC and the story was starting to get interesting, but I was getting weary of the gameplay and thus I have no idea how the story ended.  FF9 seems to be virtually absent in any discussion of the franchise.
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2009, 03:02:00 PM »

I've never personally played FF9 though I did watch a friend play it but I got the impression it was Square trying pacify fans of the old games. Not saying that is good or bad though.

That sounds about right, actually. But then I (and a couple of others) am a fan of the old games who needed to be pacified, so I guess I was solidly in the target demographic.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2009, 05:52:19 AM »
I never really hear anyone talk about FF8 or FF9.  I played a bit of FF8 on PC and the story was starting to get interesting, but I was getting weary of the gameplay and thus I have no idea how the story ended.  FF9 seems to be virtually absent in any discussion of the franchise.

Don't worry, the story goes to **** pretty fast too.

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2009, 08:27:00 AM »
FF8-9 hold interest to me simply becuase I don't know much about them. 
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2009, 10:29:04 AM »
I like Final Fantasy 4, and FF7 for $10 on PSN is mighty tempting, but I can't see what aspect of it I would enjoy. That game is forever an antithesis of Nintendo in my mind due to the Great War, everything I've heard about it suggests it's a departure from what I enjoy about FF4, and it's not like the 3D graphics will hold up well. Thoughts?
TYP, I think it's worth giving it a go, especially for $10.  The problem is that the first part of the game can drag for some, especially since much of the opening setting is meant to be depressing, dystopic, and dark.  In my opinion, the game really opens up after you make it out of the first city and the world map is opened up.  The problem is that it can take a while to get there.

Final Fantasy VII causes more nerd-rage discussions than most games these days, but I still remember it for providing some of my most enjoyable moments in gaming. (e.g. the deconstruction of Cloud's past, the creepy aftermath of Sephiroth's assault on Shinra) 

To be honest, it's been at least 7 years since I've played the game in earnest myself.  I've got an old PC copy that won't work on my current system without a bit of tweaking.  If I had a PS3 or a PSP, though, I'd definitely pick it up.  My opinion is that if you found something to like about FF IV, there's a good chance you might like VII as well...if the initial cyberpunk setting doesn't bother you.

1up has a few nice blog entries on the game.

Mini-Grind: Revisiting Final Fantasy VII

Retro Roundup: Final Fantasy VII

Memorable Moments: Re-Visiting the Houses of Final Fantasy VII

"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Olimar77

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2009, 01:23:07 PM »
I have yet to see Little King's Story at any of my local retailers (I live within walking distance of Best Buy, Target, and Game Stop). I had every intention of picking it up this month, too. Instead, I bought Final Fantasy IV DS and Swords & Soldiers. I still plan on playing Little King's Story, but that sense of urgency has passed. I was willing to pay $50 for this title, but now I'm content to wait for a price drop.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2009, 01:36:38 PM »
They had LKS everywhere here butI just never overcame the barrier to paying 50€ for it. At one point my parents offered me to buy me a game and I forgot about LKS andpicked NPC Pikmin 2, now I'm not sure LKS is a good investment so close to Pikmin.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2009, 01:49:06 PM »
My opinion is that if you found something to like about FF IV, there's a good chance you might like VII as well...if the initial cyberpunk setting doesn't bother you.

Blasphemy. I love FFIV and despise FF7 the movie, I mean the game. The visuals are hideous now and do not hold up at all. FF7 was Square trying to go mainstream with the series. I see nothing in common with FFIV besides it being in the same series.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Bboy

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2009, 01:57:15 PM »
Wow, I wrote in that letter a couple of weeks ago about an FF7 on DS because I heard it was one of the best games ever, but apparently not. Guess I'll stick with the classic Final Fantasy's.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2009, 01:58:44 PM »
Wow, I wrote in that letter a couple of weeks ago about an FF7 on DS because I heard it was one of the best games ever, but apparently not. Guess I'll stick with the classic Final Fantasy's.

I wouldn't mind a remake of sorts, though the thing is to update it could take ALOT of work. They would need to dump their depthless painting backgrounds. The thing is that I doubt it could be on DS given the cartridge limitations which is too bad.

Offline Sundoulos

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2009, 03:01:01 PM »
My opinion is that if you found something to like about FF IV, there's a good chance you might like VII as well...if the initial cyberpunk setting doesn't bother you.

Blasphemy. I love FFIV and despise FF7 the movie, I mean the game. The visuals are hideous now and do not hold up at all. FF7 was Square trying to go mainstream with the series. I see nothing in common with FFIV besides it being in the same series.

Here is the context of my statement:  I think I remember TYP mentioning in some early Radio Trivia episode that he probably wouldn't like FF IV or some similar sentiment (forgive me if I'm wrong, TYP), mainly because of the length.  Eventually, he gave FF IV DS a try, and apparently he enjoyed it.  Who's to say he shouldn't give FF VII a chance for 10 bucks? 

For better or worse, none of the games in Final Fantasy have much in common, aside from certain recurring mechanics, names, or creatures.  I've found something to enjoy in each of them, excluding II, XI and X-2.

In other news:  I'm eagerly awaiting LKS.  My b-day is this month, so I'm hoping that my wife will procure a copy for me. :)  I'd also ask for the Metroid Prime collection and Professor Layton, but that would just be greedy.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 04:19:11 PM by Sundoulos »
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2009, 05:03:58 PM »
The advantage of Professor Layton is that your wife can play it too.

Offline Sundoulos

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2009, 05:08:02 PM »
You know...I tried to get her to play The Curious Village, but she lost interest in it.  Right now, she's playing Mario Galaxy...she's already farther than Lindy. j/k  :)

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2009, 10:25:52 PM »

Here is the context of my statement:  I think I remember TYP mentioning in some early Radio Trivia episode that he probably wouldn't like FF IV or some similar sentiment (forgive me if I'm wrong, TYP), mainly because of the length.  Eventually, he gave FF IV DS a try, and apparently he enjoyed it.  Who's to say he shouldn't give FF VII a chance for 10 bucks? 

For better or worse, none of the games in Final Fantasy have much in common, aside from certain recurring mechanics, names, or creatures.  I've found something to enjoy in each of them, excluding II, XI and X-2.

In other news:  I'm eagerly awaiting LKS.  My b-day is this month, so I'm hoping that my wife will procure a copy for me. :)  I'd also ask for the Metroid Prime collection and Professor Layton, but that would just be greedy.

IC what you mean.

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2009, 10:36:49 PM »
Well, when I'm hankering for a new RPG--which will be after finishing The After Years (is the last part up yet?)--I might give it a spin.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Sundoulos

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2009, 03:56:25 PM »
Well, when I'm hankering for a new RPG--which will be after finishing The After Years (is the last part up yet?)--I might give it a spin.
Since you recently played FFIV DS, and your opinion is likely to be unclouded by FF IV nostalgia, let me ask you this:  Do you find that The After Years is worth the money?

I haven't purchased it, and I'm not sure if I'll really enjoy it based on what I've read in reviews.  Since many of the locations seem to be basically unchanged, I wonder if I'm going to find it to be very boring.  (That's probably because I recently played both Final Fantasy IV Advance, as well as the DS remake.)

Offline yoshi1001

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • PIRN-Pokemon Radio
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2009, 08:21:19 PM »
Glad you answered my e-mail. Planet Pictobits  sure does have a nice ring, doesn't it?
For Pokemon news and interviews, check us out at:

http://pokepress.blogspot.com/

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2009, 12:12:03 PM »
I don't know, Sundulous. I tend to forget the specifics of level design rather quickly, and since I only played the DS version, the game and its locales certainly looked different to me. There is certainly rehashing of battles imo, though, so if you played FFIV twice recently, maybe wait a bit before downloading The After Years.

The gameplay is very similar, though it has poorly-implemented, confusing team-attacks which I barely use). That said, I have enjoyed the first part (800) and Rydia's Tale (300) so far. The somewhat constrained party members at your disposal make Rydia's Tale fairly interesting, actually.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi