Author Topic: The Fast Food Thread - Would You Like Posts With That?  (Read 210604 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: The Fast Food Thread - Would You Like Posts With That?
« Reply #225 on: August 03, 2019, 02:53:47 PM »
I have no intention of touching that "impossible" dreck. Burgers are made of meat and anything else is sacrilege.
That’s fair. I’m not completely off red meat and high cholesterol foods. If I’m really craving a juicy real-meat cheeseburger or steak, I’ll order one.

Unfortunately, the reality I have to live with is keeping red meat consumption to two or three times a month. For those with dietary restrictions, the Impossible Burger is a great alternative.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #226 on: August 04, 2019, 04:26:06 PM »
Impossible Whopper is going NATIONWIDE next week
https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/01/business/impossible-whopper-national/index.html
(FYI, you can only currently get Impossible burger meat from Burger King, as they bought out the entire supply chain for the near... and possibly foreseeable, future)

Who is gonna buy an Impossible Whopper, and then next to it a Regular Whopper and do the side by side taste test?

Who is gonna be our guinea pig?

edit: hint.... it might be me. I'm curious, and carnivorous, and therefore don't believe all the opinions out there about how you can't taste the difference.... you get 1 chance to make me a believer.
I haven't had the impossible Whopper but I have had the Beyond Burger from Carl's Jr and it is pretty decent. I am a half vegetarian so I eat pretty much everything except for red meat but I do eat red meat sometimes when I have to.

I would be a guinia pig when the impossible Whopper comes to Phoenix.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 06, 2019, 01:30:58 AM »
There was a bit of a huff when a national pizza joint here mislead customers with Beyond Beef Burger. The wording was far too easy to assume it was meat not a meat substitute and given what it is made of it could have killed someone. They then doubled down with an excuse that sneaking in the product was for the good of the planet which pretty much an open admission. Very not cool hijacking a good cause to cover for your PR stunt and damages the very cause you claim to uphold. I never ordered it because **** them for several other reasons but reports from others were poor.

I am curious in the Impossible burger as I hear their stuff is much better.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 06, 2019, 10:15:55 AM »
I'm deeply suspicious of meat-replacement burgers. Not so much about taste, which is probably good enough to not care about. It's the overall quality and whether there is any improvement in nutrition by eating them that has me wondering. Last I heard they were super high in salt, and maybe preservatives too... although if eating fast food I supposed that probably wouldn't really shift the scale?

It just feels like all the marketing and hype have drowned out any discussion about whether these are really a good and beneficial idea, or just a hot fad. Not that such things regularly happen in the food healthy industry... *coughcough*

And for a more useful addition, made my (usually) annual excursion to eat at Arby's recently. They have no restaurant in town, so I need to drive a couple of hours* but it's always totally worth it. There is something awesome about simple roast beef sandwiches with those curly fries that I'll always enjoy. Simplicity has it's charms - or maybe I'm just too simple to want more.

*Note that I'm not driving that far just for Arby's... but when travelling through a nearby city I often make a point to grab a double roast beef during the trip.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 10:19:21 AM by ejamer »
NNID: ejamer

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 06, 2019, 11:15:44 AM »
It's not so much the health benefits which I expect to be very marginal without changing your diet elsewhere also. Meat takes a lot of resources to make and cause a lot of pollution including greenhouse gases. Farmers are pretty invisible to the public when it comes to pollution. It's not helped that farmers tend to be a very irresponsible bunch when it comes to waste and water rights food or no food.

Cutting back a little meat wouldn't be the worse idea.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 06, 2019, 12:05:30 PM »
I tried the Beyond Meat burger at A&W on the weekend.  I should point out that A&W in Canada is a very different chain than the one in the US.  It's actually one of the biggest in Canada and it has really good burgers.  It is pricey however but regularly has mailer coupons.  The reason I got the Beyond Meat burger was my brothers and I had used up most of the good coupons and the Beyond Meat coupon was one of the few remaining and I had been curious about it.

It wasn't bad.  It was easily the best non-meat burger I've ever had but I'm not a vegetarian so I've eaten maybe three non-meat burgers in my entire life.  Basically the only time I've eaten them is when at a vegetarian's house and that's all that was served.  It did not taste like the real A&W burgers.  It tasted somewhat like you could pass this off as a beef burger if someone didn't have the context of beef burgers from the same restaurant.  The texture was a little too soft compared to real beef.  I also noticed how non-filling it was.  I wasn't as full as I normally am after A&W but aside from the burger patty everything was virtually identical to my typical meal there.  It kind of felt like I had eaten a rice cake that just happened to taste and feel somewhat close to an actual burger.

If I had some sort of beef intolerance this would be a decent substitute.  But since I have no reason not to order a real beef burger I will probably never order it again, unless it was on sale for $1 or something like that.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 06, 2019, 12:58:23 PM »
It's not so much the health benefits ...

All fair enough, but when eating fast food I admit that the environment is pretty low on my list of concerns. There is so much waste and pollution created in that situation already that it's hard to see how ordering a veggie burger does anything to change that... it's like doing a few sit-ups after eating a whole birthday cake and hoping things balance out.

Personal pet peeve:
McDonald's restaurants in my province don't recycle. They give you a bunch of plastic and paper containers each time, and everything is carefully marked as "please recycle", but you have to literally carry your junk home with you or just throw it in the trash.  I assume this is a local issue and not some kind of widespread policy...?

A&W here in Canada has done a really nice job though, with little things like reducing as much plastic packaging (including straws, etc) as possible and running a cleaner business. I agree with Ian Sane that it's a pretty decent choice if looking for a cheap burger (as long as you bring coupons).

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 07, 2019, 12:57:46 AM »
Does A&W Canada have frosted mugs of root beer, cheese curds and grandpa burgers?

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 07, 2019, 12:01:37 PM »
Does A&W Canada have frosted mugs of root beer, cheese curds and grandpa burgers?

Yes.  I'm assuming by cheese curds you mean poutine?

My favourite item at A&W is the Mozza Burger.  Bacon, mozzarella cheese and thousand island dressing.  Oh yeah!

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 07, 2019, 12:40:34 PM »
My favourite item at A&W is the Mozza Burger.  Bacon, mozzarella cheese and thousand island dressing.  Oh yeah!

Same - it's awesome. Although sometimes I grab a Teen Burger when it's on sale.
Used to do the Double Mozza, but that's more calories than I need in a sitting these days (since I basically do nothing but sitting...)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 17, 2019, 03:20:14 PM »
Tried the Impossible Whopper today because the burger place I like is closed until Labor Day.

Not good. I don’t know how it compares to the regular Whopper because I haven’t had one in well over a decade. I recommend not judging the Impossible Burger on Burger King. Go to a non-chain. It’s all about how it’s prepared.

Also, Burger King sells tacos now. I tried one, and it was also a bad time.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 17, 2019, 09:43:15 PM »
I used to love the milkshakes from Burger King.
(Oddly, it was the only thing from Burger King I thought was even decent... but they were good enough I'd go just to pick one up.)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 17, 2019, 11:01:57 PM »
Burger King bought up all of the Impossible Burger supply chain for the time being.
so..... the only place to try an Impossible Burger is in an ImpossiWhopper (trademark pending)

I too also tried a BK Taco.... and um.... Jack in Box did it better.
but then again, I was sober when I at the BK Taco.... I don't think I have ever had JitB tacos while sober. LOL
That being said... the BK Taco was not good.
I did not try to disguise it with hot sauce or anything either.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 18, 2019, 12:36:51 AM »
Burger King bought up all of the Impossible Burger supply chain for the time being.
so..... the only place to try an Impossible Burger is in an ImpossiWhopper (trademark pending)
Understood. However, you previously said “you get 1 chance to make me a believer.” I’m unclear if “you” was referring to Burger King or Impossible Foods. That said, when you’re inevitably disappointed by the Impossible Whopper, I beseech you to try the Impossible Burger again at not-Burger King. The Impossible Burger is a nice alternative. It’s my go-to unless I’m really feeling a beef burger.

I really tried to give the Impossible Whopper a chance because I wanted to like it. For some reason, it doesn’t come with cheese (it’s sub-Kraft singles territory so maybe that’s the reason) so I added cheese and bacon so it was made to order. The actual patty just wasn’t prepared well.
That being said... the BK Taco was not good.
The Crispy Taco is inexplicable. First, half of it wasn’t even crispy. Second, it can’t be that hard to make a taco. Children can make a taco correctly. That’s how easy it is to make a decent taco. For the Crispy Taco to be this bad, I feel like Burger King had to go out of its way to make a bad taco.

Granted, tacos are not the forte of a restaurant called Burger King, but if it’s going to put one on the menu, maybe out some effort in, right?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 18, 2019, 01:03:18 AM »
Considering I can only get the Impossible Burger patty at BK for the time being (and foreseeable future?), and they only get 1 chance to make me a believer.... I can either try it at BK or continue to ignore the meatless patty for being a meatless patty, until I can find it elsewhere.

Perhaps I'll ask for it to be "Flame Broiled" so that they have to prepare it fresh on the spot.

But honestly, I don't really eat at BK outside of breakfast.... so I'm perfectly fine with not having an ImpossiWhopper too.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: August 18, 2019, 01:23:34 AM »
Since “you” is referring to whichever place you try the Impossible Burger, I recommend waiting. If you have a non-chain, non-fast food burger joint, try it there. If you don’t like it at a speciality, made to order restaurant, then you sure as hell weren’t going to like it at Burger King.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #241 on: August 18, 2019, 11:08:48 AM »
I got a burger place I frequent.
they used to have it on the menu.... I informed them of pipeline buyout by BK since they kept telling customers that they are waiting on a restock, and they eventually covered it up on the menu.
I'm pretty sure I'll be waiting for a looong while if I decide to not take the Whopper vs ImpossiWhopper Challenge.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #242 on: August 27, 2019, 03:17:15 PM »
I too also tried a BK Taco.... and um.... Jack in Box did it better.

Wow, those BK tacos must REALLY suck.  Years ago Jack in the Box would include two free tacos if you ordered from their self-serve kiosk.  I started turning down the free tacos.  If I'm turning down free fast food then it is serious butt.

To me Burger King having tacos would be like Taco Bell starting to have hamburgers.  I know in the corporate mindset there's the idea that any meal eaten at a different restaurant is a lost sale but I go to different places based on what type of food I'm craving.  If I'm in a taco mood then I'm going to go to a place that specializes in tacos.  And if I want something else, I'm not settling for the taco place even if they have that item on the menu because they probably don't do it as well as a place that specializes in it.  There are tons of fast food places that are specifically burger restaurants and that's their specialty and they're great at it.  In theory Burger King could be such a place... but they're not.

All I really like about Burger King is the Whopper.  Much like the Big Mac it isn't something I get when I'm in a burger mood.  It's for when I'm in a Whopper mood.  There is a specific craving I can get for Burger King beef burgers and that's what keeps me a periodic customer.  But everything else pretty much sucks and their service is the slowest and most incompetent of any of the chains in my area by a mile.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #243 on: August 27, 2019, 04:39:54 PM »
I did try the BK Tacos a bit ago and they were not the best.  If I am not getting tacos from like a local Mexican place or Del Taco/Taco Bell then I will go with Jack in the Box tacos.

Has anyone tried the Popeyes Chicken Sandwiches yet? It is suppose to be better than their competitors but I haven't had one yet.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: August 27, 2019, 09:14:18 PM »
Aww... I miss Popeyes! We don't have any in East Coast Canada, but I love their chicken and biscuits.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: August 27, 2019, 10:29:48 PM »

Yes.  I'm assuming by cheese curds you mean poutine?

Poutine?

No, THIS is A&W cheese curds

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: August 27, 2019, 11:07:07 PM »
Poutine?

No, THIS is A&W cheese curds

I've never seen those before!
(Not sure they are my thing... but, hey, I'll give anything a shot once!)

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: August 27, 2019, 11:37:20 PM »
All I have to say on this matter is that if you don't live in an area where Culvers is a thing you're missing out.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #248 on: August 27, 2019, 11:40:55 PM »
All I have to say on this matter is that if you don't live in an area where Culvers is a thing you're missing out.
I still need to go to my local Culvers. I guess the thing with them is that there is a different flavor of the day and each store has a different flavor of the day from other local stores which is kinda awesome.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: August 27, 2019, 11:43:36 PM »
Yeah that's for their custard and salad I believe. Their burgers are really good and they have pretty solid fries. They're easily leagues above what McDonalds and Burger King offer.