Author Topic: First Trailer for Mutant Mudds Developer's New Metroid-Style Game  (Read 2204 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile

The interstellar exploration platformer Xeodrifter is coming to 3DS later this year.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/video/38684/first-trailer-for-mutant-mudds-developers-new-metroid-style-game

The debut trailer for Renegade Kid's forthcoming 3DS eShop game Xeodrifter highlights the game's retro aesthetic and Metroid-like progression.

Renegade Kid, best known for their 3DS games Mutant Mudds and Moon Chronicles, describe the story as this: "Xeodrifter is the story of an interstellar drifter traveling the stars on a simple mission of exploration."

The hero gets stranded among a small cluster of four planets  and must find a way to survive and get back home.

Xeodrifter is due out for release on the 3DS eShop later this year.

Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Disco Stu

• Has a Fever for Saturday Night
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Re: First Trailer for Mutant Mudds Developer's New Metroid-Style Game
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 03:14:43 PM »
As has been remarked everywhere, it looks like Mutant Mudds x Metroid...which looks amazing and I want to play it now.
I got hooked on the white stuff back in the 70s.

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 03:16:57 PM »
Do want.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 04:00:30 PM »
I'm one of the biggest Mutant Mudds fans out there and this looks fantastic, but given how long I've been waiting for Treasurnauts and Mutant Mudds 2 I'm not letting myself get too excited for this until it at least has an actual release date.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Disco Stu

• Has a Fever for Saturday Night
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 04:42:11 PM »
I'm one of the biggest Mutant Mudds fans out there and this looks fantastic, but given how long I've been waiting for Treasurnauts and Mutant Mudds 2 I'm not letting myself get too excited for this until it at least has an actual release date.

Yeah it's a little weird how Treasurenauts seems to have just been set aside since the demo appeared at multiple events.  It'd be nice if one of them came out this year but I'm not holding my breath.  Still, they can take as long as they want to make these games great.
I got hooked on the white stuff back in the 70s.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 05:02:38 PM »
Looks hot, but I'm with JP on this one -- it's been quite a while since Renegade Kid actually finished a project. So it's hard to get really excited for yet another promising game that we may get to play, at some point, hopefully.

Where the heck is Moon Chronicles Episode 2, by the way? When you release the first episode at a relatively high price for the content within, based on a promise of future episodes being cheaper, and then don't say a word about those later episodes, it doesn't exactly inspire confidence among your potential customers.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 05:04:28 PM by Jonnyboy117 »
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 02:25:41 PM »
Yes, I believe I mentioned this previously, but Renegade Kid does a great job of baiting and switching. Many of their titles I have been excited for- Cult County, Mutant Mudds 2, Moon Chronicles, and Treasurenauts- have all been interrupted abruptly by the whims of the developer. Cult County, of course, became something entirely new, but Moon Chronicles was SUPPOSED to be done by the end of 2014, correct? So that they could release the second season? I wonder why they've kept quiet about that release schedule.

However, with Treasurenauts, I think it's clear that the defining game mechanics are sound, but Renegade Kid isn't quite sure how to release the game as something you can beat- I heard there was talk of the game having no save states but I just think that's silly. If they need more time with that, that is perfectly fine.

This game does look really fantastic, though. Right up my alley.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline ObbyDent

• Too reasonable for this forum
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 05:39:58 PM »
This looks like the same game with a new skin and a new direction to shoot at. No thanks.