Author Topic: NBA Thread: Brought To You By The Tampa Bay Raptors Of Toronto  (Read 674586 times)

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
As to the match up for Game 1 it is looking like Boogie, Durant are going to be out for Game 1 with Iggy is probable to start game 1. 

I think these 5 days are going to help Leonard and Lowry to recover a little bit and get ready for Game 1.  I did like the defense that they ran versus Giannis and maybe they can do something like that for Durant when he returns.  In the meantime I think a more perimeter based defense will work with Saikam, Leonard and Gasol being the focal points will be good.
   Gasol on Green, Leonard on Klay, and Siakam on Curry.   
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
Defensively, the Raptors will be fine. I mean, nobody is going to stop Golden State when they have six All-Stars on the team but Toronto has as good a roster to slow them down as anyone.

My big question is whether the Raptors can score enough points to stay in the game - especially given how poor their outside shooting has been since the playoffs started. Kawhi will pretty consistently get his, but after that it's a bit of a question mark where the points will come from. If Danny Green's shooting finally reverts to mean (ie: he gets silly hot like VanVleet was last series, to make up for the terrible percentages since playoffs started) then the games could at least be fun to watch.

However, I'm not sure that I agree with those defensive assignments. I'd rather see Leonard play as much on-ball defense as possible, and Klay's average time of possession is tiny - catch, shoot, rinse, repeat. Put Green on Klay instead.  Also, I'd rather trust Lowry/VanVleet to check Curry as primary defenders and let Siakam roam a bit on defense by assigning him to someone that isn't a lights-out shooter (ie: like Iguodala).

Also, it's hilarious that being "short-handed" for the Warriors means they can only start four players with a history of being consistent All-Stars instead of having 6 available to choose from. (Yes, Iggy was a perennial All-Star and remains an excellent player. He's clearly past his prime, but still darned effective in his role.)
NNID: ejamer

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
It is looking like NBA free agency is going to start sooner than usual. Moved up from 12:01 am EST on July 1st to 6pm EST on June 30th.   Wonder if Toronto making it to the finals is going to change any plans Leonard has or if he is staying.  If he stays I could see the Raptors being the new Cavs.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
My "short handed" comment was kinda dual proposed, also referencing to the size of Kawhi's hands.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Boogie is questionable and Iggy is probable, right?  That makes me think both will be back before game 4.  The Warriors don't really need KD to be stacked, especially if they get either of the other two playing.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Iggy is good for game 1,
Cousins and Durant get re-evaluated this week. Neither are expected for Game 1.
Honestly, I wouldn't expect to see either until game 3 and/or 4 @ home.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Then the Warriors are fine.  Iggy was the MVP when it was Steph, Klay, and Draymond.  I don't think they need the full Death Lineup to close games.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Kerr has a presser saying something to the effect of: If this was regular season, I would throw Cousins on the court, give him his regular minutes and let him figure it out on the court in game.

So Cousins is only possibly sitting out game 1 because of match-up/conditioning issues.
if Game 1 doesn't go well, I can assume that Cousins will play to switch things up a little.
However, I DO NOT expect to see Durant touch the court till at least game 3 at the earliest, which is the Warriors first home game this series, assuming he comes back at all.

If we are not performing as expected, i could see them putting Durant out there if he's willing/capable, but they certainly aren't rushing him back unless they need to.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Warriors are in good shape then.  I kinda wish Cousins was ready to go just because I'd like to see him play.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
It is looking like NBA free agency is going to start sooner than usual. Moved up from 12:01 am EST on July 1st to 6pm EST on June 30th.   Wonder if Toronto making it to the finals is going to change any plans Leonard has or if he is staying.  If he stays I could see the Raptors being the new Cavs.

Although trying really hard not to think about it - there are more important things over the coming week or two - I really really hope he decides to stay in Toronto. The team should still be really good if he leaves, but not NBA Finals good.

I really like the idea of moving free agency ahead. Starting at midnight made for a silly news cycle; this way things will actually happen during the day (or at least, I assume they will) instead of just waking up to discover what happened the night before.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
Prediction from Feb 25th:

Cousins still has plenty of time to get things going, and as long as force feeding him shots now doesn't disrupt chemistry there is no harm. Golden State is so stacked, it's hard to see anything really disrupting them without a major injury (or two).

Now it's come true; with Durant and Boogie out, and Iguodala on the mend, Raptors can be that disruptive force and win it all!

(I'm still betting on Warriors in 6 though. Raptors are a better team than anyone Golden State has faced in the playoffs except Houston - and I think Raptors could edge out Houston in a series. I'm not sure that Raptors are better then Warriors unless all their poor shooting since playoffs have started means the law of averages is about to swing viciously in their favor - much like what happened for VanVleet last series.)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Prediction from Feb 25th:

Cousins still has plenty of time to get things going, and as long as force feeding him shots now doesn't disrupt chemistry there is no harm. Golden State is so stacked, it's hard to see anything really disrupting them without a major injury (or two).

Now it's come true; with Durant and Boogie out, and Iguodala on the mend, Raptors can be that disruptive force and win it all!

(I'm still betting on Warriors in 6 though. Raptors are a better team than anyone Golden State has faced in the playoffs except Houston - and I think Raptors could edge out Houston in a series. I'm not sure that Raptors are better then Warriors unless all their poor shooting since playoffs have started means the law of averages is about to swing viciously in their favor - much like what happened for VanVleet last series.)

The Raptors will regress to the means and return to former series shooting averages!!! mwahahahahaa!!
vigorously rubs lamp and and says "I wish" prior to above statement
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 10:15:00 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Rockets about to blow it all up!?

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
You might as well if you're the Rockets.  This James Harden/CP3 experiment is a failed one.  I really don't see how they improve unless there's a change in their philosophy of prioritizing drawing fouls over making plays.  But who knows, maybe the right roster move could help them.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Well, Harden and CP3 got into after the game 6 loss to the Warriors about CP3 wanting Harden to quick dribbling the air out the ball till late in the shot clock and move it around more. Harden apparently wasn't feeling that.

Rockets owners kept D'antoni on board, but fired all his assistants, and are now BLOWING UP the entire team, with the possibility of even trading Harden.

Rockets missed their window last season, but I don't think they should blow it all up.
I mean they even teasing trading Harden... and all their future picks.

first the Lakers, and now the Rockets.... what a crazy off season this will be. LOL
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 11:59:54 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
The sad part is that the Rockets best shot coincided with the Warriors strongest teams. You feel like they (ie: Golden State) just can't maintain everyone going forward and will have to drop off at some point. Durant leaving wouldn't prevent them from being front runners to win it all next year... but would remove some of that sense of inevitability.

It definitely will be an interesting off season though. lots of incredibly talented players who might (or might not) relocate. Some fan bases will end up very happy, and others are sure to be disappointed.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 10:22:57 AM by ejamer »

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
They're definitely beatable without Durant.  But they'd really have to lose both Cousins (FA) and Iggy (retirement) to not be a 100% sure thing for the finals.  And even then, they would still be favorited.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
DeMarcus Cousins is active for Game 1

There’s a part of me that wants Cousins to be so good in this series that he (miraculously) wins Finals MVP. I just think it’d be funny if Steph Curry doesn’t win it again.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
It is going to be interesting with Cousins active for game 1. I imagine that they are going to play 11 to 12 each game till Durant comes back.   Kerr did a interview yesterday basically saying that he played 11 deep to make up for 40 minutes of Durants minutes in the Houston series. Likely going to go 9 to 10 this series with Boogie active for game one I imagine.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
I have the Raptors winning in 6.  I think defensively the Raptors are going to cause the Warriors a lot of headaches. Should be a good series.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
I have the Raptors winning in 6.  ...

I want to believe so badly... but need to see the Raptors win a game before I can jump on that bandwagon.
Golden State is just such a juggernaut of a team that I have to give them benefit of the doubt until some weakness can be proven.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
How many other people are watching the game?
A ten point halftime lead for the Raptors is a pretty exciting way to get started.

Wonderful to see Danny Green actually hit some shots! The guy is hard working and a total class act. The Raptors also have other role players that look very comfortable on the big stage - with VanVleet and Gasol in particular both looking calm and collected. Should be a fun second half.

Hopefully Toronto doesn't feel like they've accomplished anything though. Just ask Portland how much a small lead early in the game is worth...

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Looking at the box score, this seems appropriate for the state of the Warriors right now.

There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
The Warriors could lose the first two games and not bat an eye.

But that gif might be a good impression of Warriors fans if the Raptors find a way to finish strong and draw first blood.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
For a supremely talented team, Golden State spent a LOT of time flopping and hunting for fouls instead of actually trying to control the game. Raptors definitely deserved this game.  (But wow, can Curry and Thompson ever shoot.)

So... Siakam for MIP has been a popular pick north of the border for a while. He sure didn't seem scared of the big stage.