Author Topic: Revolution Name Announced!  (Read 85643 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
RE:Revolution Name Announced!
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2006, 08:31:56 AM »
I posted this idea in the Funhouse, but I'll repeat it here just for the hell of it.

I suggest a new forum filter, so that everytime someone uses the word "we" it will automatically be replaced witht the name "Wii".

It will be a little annoying at first, but you will get more annoyed by it later!!

Offline trip1eX

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Revolution Name Announced!
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2006, 08:32:53 AM »
I kind of liked 'Revolution,' but that was probably too common of a word for them to use for their console.  

Wii is pretty good.  The spelling looks 'exotic.'  It can be made fun of pretty easy too, but I think it will grow on me.  

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2006, 08:36:37 AM »
They've literally gone down the totally unusuall naming scheme that a certain iPod did cough cough.

Offline thame^

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2006, 08:37:39 AM »
Apple only uses a single lowercase 'i' in its products' names.  That makes Nintendo twice as good as Apple, imagine that!

Offline Donutt007

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2006, 08:40:34 AM »

Originally posted by: thame^
Apple only uses a single lowercase 'i' in its products' names.  That makes Nintendo twice as good as Apple, imagine that!

Nintendo equals more gooder

Funny how the controller kinda looks like an iPod shuffle, and the whole system as the sleek Apple look...wouldn't that be crazy is Steve Jobs had his hands in Nintendo...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2006, 08:40:38 AM »
Wii Are The Champions!!

Honestly I liked the name Revolution right from the moment I heard it, but maybe this one will grow on me over time.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2006, 08:40:43 AM »
I'm sure the French will like it..."Ah, wii wii!" or "Mais wii!"

Terrible name, but I can see the logic behind it:

1) Simple
2) Communicates the fact that it's a system designed around user interaction (looks like 2 people in the name, also the play on words with wii/we)
3) Different from the name of any other console ever made, like Wii is different from everything else out there
4) Translates across all languages, like they want their console to do

Still, all of this logic doesn't stop it from not sounding cool in the slightest.

Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline 18 Days

• ~*LiL AnGeL*~
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2006, 08:47:07 AM »
Nah.
Nah.
pietriots.com
Calenture

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2006, 08:49:43 AM »
I love the way the name looks. I hate the way it sounds. What a dilemma.

I'd prefer why-e, we is just so i dunno. When you say it together, the Nintedo Wii. sounds like Nintendo-y, or I LOVE HALO 2. Why not stick with Revolution.

Or they want simple? How about the Nintendo 1. or Nintendo Im (pronounced like him i don't know i can't get too excited telling all my friends who think that Nintendo is for kids.

hey guess what guys (all 20+ (we got one youngin) I just got the Nintendo Weeeeeee! first question: 1. why are you saying weeee? is it that much fun? response: no that the name. 2. are you a homo? response: since the last time i checked i was still straight. 3. when does the ps3 come out? response: f u  
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Knoxxville

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2006, 08:49:53 AM »
Now THIS is somehing!  This is like an anime when somebody is supposed to say something profound, yet instead says something 'tarded, and a frame or two later everyone else is in some contorted position, usually on the floor, looking like they all got punched in the face!

....I have a stomach ache.....WHY Nintendo, WHYYYYYYY?!?

This cannot be......AARGH!!!

Offline NW

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2006, 08:50:12 AM »
It could also be called "The NW"  D:
vwoot

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2006, 09:00:34 AM »
It needs a second syllable (at least) in order to sound right.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Zach

• Bad Title
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2006, 09:02:35 AM »
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooo

What is up, this really shows that they are not in touch with the west.  I will still buy it, but what casual gamer is going to get over the tiku tiku tiku!  image when its called the Wii??  

Another three letter name that I think would probably sell better is "Nintendo WTF"  It is an appreviation, thus making it not "simple" but it would probably sell better.  
WiiCode: 2469 4326 9885 9257

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2006, 09:05:43 AM »
There are no words...

There just AREN'T any F*CKING words...
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2006, 09:09:25 AM »
Oh Dear God What have they Done!
They have been doing so much to get rid of their tiku tiku tiku!  image and they they toss this name on the Revolution.

I think every Nintendo fan out there needs to email Nintendo and ask what the f*ck are they thinking and that they need to change the name back to Revolution or to something less childish.

All I can think of when I see that name is a baby babbleing.
"Alright, you know what? I'm just giving in and looking at the breasts."
Crow ~ MST3K
<BR>-- I like my food like I like my women Chinese, Japaneses, Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese and Hot! --

Offline ryaninc

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2006, 09:13:50 AM »
Oh geeze...I can totally see the jokes starting...

"So I was playing my Wii this weekend..."
"You guys gotta try the new game I got on my Wii!"

...right. This totally can't be good. :-)

Offline Zach

• Bad Title
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2006, 09:19:21 AM »
I at least hope NOA realizes how horrible the name is.  I wouldnt be surprised if they didnt, but if they did, would they try to change it here?

I just cant imagine Reggie at E3 talking about the Nintendo Wii.
WiiCode: 2469 4326 9885 9257

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2006, 09:21:04 AM »
It's Celda all over again!

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2006, 09:23:32 AM »
Hahahahahaha.

Internet exploding with anger.  "This name can only make my already miniscule penis seem smaller!  Hate U Nintendo!"
I'm not sure what to think about it.  I do know that I'm feeling genuine hatred for the industry and every gamer out there, because why the f*ck are you going to take something so seriously.  Games aren't even about having fun any more, and these reactions manifest that fact.

I think it's ridiculous, but I like it.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2006, 09:25:54 AM »
This is all I see when I hear that name
"Alright, you know what? I'm just giving in and looking at the breasts."
Crow ~ MST3K
<BR>-- I like my food like I like my women Chinese, Japaneses, Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese and Hot! --

Offline ssj4_android

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2006, 09:27:35 AM »
Celda all over again? At least they didn't call it Wind Wanker. Seriously, did some Japanese people come up with this without even asking someone who lives in America?

Offline pyrokamileon

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2006, 09:29:25 AM »
hey I've got a good idea!  someone should write nintendo and tell them that instead of Wii it should be Wiiwii!  that way it'll sound good in french, have at least two syllables, still be simple and instead of looking like you got two people in the name it looks like four!
you thought telling someone that they should totally come by and check your new Wii sounded kinda fun?  well it'll sound even better if it were dubbed Wiiwii instead of dumb ol' simple three lettered Wii!  
SERIOUSLY THOUGH NO ONE BETTER EVEN CONSIDER WRITING THEM THAT...  they might like the idea

I still think this is a joke, I mean I know it's way past April Fools day but then again planetgamecube never did come through with a good joke, did they...
At some point, I'd think Nintendo fans would get sick of the anticipation and just say "screw it," but Nintendophiles are odd, odd creatures indeed.<BR>—Chris Carle, IGN

Offline Rize

• Disgruntled
  • Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2006, 09:29:46 AM »
Don't question the power of Reggie.  When he says "Wii", nations will tremble.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2006, 09:39:23 AM »
I tend to agree with Hostile Creation.  The name is of no importance.  When you see the graphics, you will say "Wii!"

Edit: This post is lacking in...meaning.  The name is definitely NOT cool, but remember guys, Nintendo is genuinely attempting to attract a totally different crowd than Sony or Microsoft.  That crowd is not going to care if the name sounds cool.  If you think Nintendo's plan is stupid, that's fine, but you have to admit that in the context of that plan, having an uncool sounding name doesn't matter.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline mrjack203

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2006, 09:39:32 AM »
Hearing that the Revolution is truly now called the Wii, is like someone just told me my dog got ran over by a car.

Nintendo, do you really want to succeed in this market? I mean you had everything going for you and out of nowhere you come up with Wii and throw away the coolest name EVER for a console. I just don't get it...