Author Topic: RFN: Doin' It Live... for the Kids!  (Read 30499 times)

Offline Yoshidious

• Silent Partner
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
RFN: Doin' It Live... for the Kids!
« on: December 03, 2010, 12:04:30 AM »

We're doing the podcast LIVE, all day long, to raise money for Child's Play. Content schedule added!

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/sitenews/24406

Listen to the stream from 12 p.m. Eastern. Use this link in your media player (e.g. iTunes > Advanced > Open Audio Stream), or the Flash-based player below.

Click play to start the stream starting at 12 p.m. Eastern on Saturday, Dec. 4th!

Join us in the chat room while we're on air. Schedule is below the chat box.

JIGGAWHAT: An epic, unprecedented Nintendo/gaming-themed live audio "podcast" telethon

JIGGAWHY: To support Child's Play, a charity that provides toys and games to sick kids

JIGGAWHO: Radio Free Nintendo crew, Nintendo World Report staff, special guests, and you!

JIGGAWHEN: Saturday, December 4, 12:00pm (Noon) Eastern until...?

JIGGAWHERE: Right here! Check back for the audio stream, live chat, and donation link.

JIGGAHOW: Magic of the Internet

Here at Nintendo World Report, we've long been supporters of Child's Play, the fantastic charity that provides toys and games to hospitalized kids. If you're not familiar with Child's Play, check out the official website and listen to Jonny's RFN Special interview with Mike Krahulik, co-founder of the charity (and Penny Arcade), way back in 2007. So, when our old friend Karl Castaneda brought us an idea for doing a special, live-streaming version of RFN to support Child's Play, we got excited. Not only can we do things live that don't make sense in the recorded version, like real-time listener interaction, but the lack of editing means there are fewer constraints on how long the show can run. Then we thought... why not do it telethon-style, all day long? With a respectful nod to Desert Bus for Hope, we present RFN: Doin' It Live... for the Kids!

***If you are new to RFN, please be advised that the show contains explicit language. We're doin' it for the kids, but the show itself is for grown-ups.***

Content Program and Fundraising Goals

(Note: Schedule and guests are subject to change before and even during event. Each hour of content will be unlocked when the corresponding donation goal is met.)

12:00 EST - Intro / New Business with Billy Berghammer (Free)
1:00 EST - Super NES/Famicom 20th Anniversary Retrospective ($100)
2:00 EST - Radio Trivia (game music) with Michael "TYP" Cole ($300)
3:00 EST - Craig Harris chats about holiday games, future systems, and more! ($750)
4:00 EST - Hidden Gems of WiiWare, DSiWare, and Virtual Console ($1250)
5:00 EST - Game of the Year Roundtable ($1750)
6:00 EST - Nintendo Quiz with Karlie and James ($2500)
7:00 EST - Wii Report Card 2010 -- Our Annual Check-Up ($3250)
8:00 EST - Listener Interaction Extravaganza! ($4000)
9:00 EST - Wii 2/HD and 3DS Wishlists with Billy Berghammer ($5000)
10:00 EST - Jeff Kalles on Child's Play and a look back at Metroid Prime Hunters ($7500)
11:00 EST - Closing Thoughts, Drinking Games, and Calamity ($10,000)

Prize List for Trivia Winners (Pick your prize! We'll ship anywhere!)

Swag:
Nintendo Tote Bag
Steamboat Willie Doll w/ Epic Mickey Tote Bag
Prinny Plush Doll
CoD4 Modern Warfare T-Shirt (2XL)
DKCR T-Shirt (size TBD)
FlingSmash Plush
Help Wanted Collectible Cards w/ Arc Rise Fantasia JRPG Hair Guide
Galaxy 2 Bag w/ NSMB Wii Poster / Vintage Nintendo Scratch-Off Cards

Games:
Dementium II (DS)
100 Classic Books (DS)
Madden 11 (Wii)
No More Heroes 2 (Wii)
The Sky Crawlers Innocent Aces (Wii)
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers (Wii)
Call of Duty Black Ops (DS)
Fishing Master (Wii)
FIFA 11 (Wii)

By using the ChipIn feature, 100% of your donation will be sent directly to Child's Play via PayPal (no fees will be deducted, since Child's Play is a non-profit organization). The ChipIn box simply helps us track how much money has been raised through RFN listeners. Additional hours of the live show will be unlocked once we reach certain fundraising goals. You can start donating NOW to help make sure this will be an epic event and a big help to Child's Play! We hope to make a rough recording of the entire live show available to each donor and maybe to all RFN subscribers. However, for technical reasons, we cannot guarantee that a recording will be possible. Be sure to attend the live broadcast on December 4th so you don't miss a thing!

Greg Leahy
Former RFN Editor

Offline NWR_Karl

• Red Velvet
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
Re: RFN: Doin' It Live... for the Kids!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 12:56:32 AM »
Be there, folks!
----
Karl Castaneda
Associated Raconteur

Offline FZeroBoyo

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 12:57:20 AM »
Sounds awesome. Can't wait.  :D
This is where I would write something witty or funny if I had any ideas.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 01:56:41 AM »
I'm definitely there!
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 04:50:21 AM »
Since this is for Child's Play, donations are tax deductible, yes? (Looking at Desert Bus posts from last year, this seems to be the case....
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline GearBoxClock

• Bratwurst Bild
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • The Clock Crew
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 09:09:01 AM »
I donated five dollars and I feel fine!
Can't wait to see how long this lasts. Hopefully it'll won't run out of steam after an hour.
Ich lasse Sauerkraut in meinem lederhosen

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 11:36:45 AM »
Yes, donations should be tax-deductible, but you'll have to poke around ChipIn and/or PayPal to get a receipt that could be used when filing your taxes.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline StrikerObi

• BanEditLockDelete Podcast Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
    • Pixel du Jour
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 07:51:46 PM »
I am going to donate you guys into podcasting oblivion, just as soon as I get paid. Deal with it.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 08:04:57 PM »
I'll chip in what I can, but it won't be much because of certain things going down in my life.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline NWR_Karl

• Red Velvet
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 09:23:46 PM »
I'll chip in what I can, but it won't be much because of certain things going down in my life.
Every donation counts. Even a very small amount gets us closer to our goal and are absolutely appreciated!
----
Karl Castaneda
Associated Raconteur

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 12:31:00 AM »
Yes, donations should be tax-deductible, but you'll have to poke around ChipIn and/or PayPal to get a receipt that could be used when filing your taxes.
My understanding is that a receipt is not adequate any more, and that correspondance from the charity is necessary to substantiate a claim. I imagine Child's Play is capable of and prepared to assist, though :)
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline NWR_Karl

• Red Velvet
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 09:12:07 AM »
My understanding is that a receipt is not adequate any more, and that correspondance from the charity is necessary to substantiate a claim. I imagine Child's Play is capable of and prepared to assist, though :)

From CP's website:

Q. Since this is a charity donation I can deduct it from my taxes, right?

A. Each hospital’s charity tax ID number is included in the information section on its wish list. Use your confirmation email as a receipt. If you are making a cash donation, Child’s Play’s own tax ID number is 20-3584556. If you have any questions about how this works, please ask your tax advisor.
----
Karl Castaneda
Associated Raconteur

Offline apdude

• Not Robin
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2010, 04:18:57 PM »
I'm no tax professional, but having donated to many different causes over the years I find the tax implicatins of these donations are negligible especially if you don't have a mortgage or are not donating over $5000 since you'll likely take the standard deduction anyway.  So don't let that stop you from donating to a good cause.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2010, 02:13:10 PM »
I'm definitely there!

I probably won't be.  :(

Are you guys planning to record the episode?  It would be nice even if you just threw the whole thing up on your feed for posterity's sake.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline NWR_Karl

• Red Velvet
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2010, 05:16:19 PM »
Yeah, vudu, we're going to be taking precautions to make sure we've got a recorded version for those of you who can't make it. It's going to be ripped from the stream, so it won't be up to the usual production standards that RFN's established, but it'll still be available.

Can't make any promises on when it'll be on the feed, but it will be, eventually.
----
Karl Castaneda
Associated Raconteur

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2010, 11:30:48 PM »
Glad to hear it will end up on the feed. I will probably not get to listen to much unless my schedule changes.
~David~
3DS: 5214-9250-6646 - David
Playing Now: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Offline NWR_Karl

• Red Velvet
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2010, 11:58:47 PM »
For those of you who can, you should absolutely try and listen to the live feed. We're going to take recording breaks every 45 minutes or so to save what we've got already, so while you won't miss any planned content, you never know what kind of hiijinks we'll be up to in the interim.

Not only that, but being there live lets you participate as the show's in progress. If somebody says something you disagree with, you can complain and pester them in real time.
----
Karl Castaneda
Associated Raconteur

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2010, 12:36:32 AM »
I'm looking forward to the real-time pestering; I mock Lindemann all the time but I have to do it within the restrictions of Twitter.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Olimar77

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2010, 08:25:39 AM »
I'm in school to become an adult/geriatric nurse practitioner, but did a pediatric rotation as an undergraduate at a children's hospital here in Atlanta. I took care of an 8-year-old boy who had both kidneys removed and received dialysis each day. He thought I was the best nurse ever because I brought the Wii console into his room and taught him how to play Super Mario Galaxy. Many of these children spend months in the hospital, and play is a great diversionary tactic that also helps normalize their experience.

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2010, 01:18:00 PM »
I hate that this takes place the weekend before finals :(
Bless you, my child.
Please turn the power OFF.

And Jonny, you don't ride the giant Cheep-Cheep

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2010, 02:58:28 AM »
I'm in school to become an adult/geriatric nurse practitioner, but did a pediatric rotation as an undergraduate at a children's hospital here in Atlanta. I took care of an 8-year-old boy who had both kidneys removed and received dialysis each day. He thought I was the best nurse ever because I brought the Wii console into his room and taught him how to play Super Mario Galaxy. Many of these children spend months in the hospital, and play is a great diversionary tactic that also helps normalize their experience.

This.

I've seen people bash and criticize Child's Play because all they do is bring toys and games to kids. In a way, they are saying that this is a pointless charity because parents can bring their toys and that it doesn't exactly help the kids cope with their situation... That's bullcrap.

First, not every hospital has a game room for the kids to play in. Second, the families of these kids are spending a lot of money on the treatment. Third, hospitals will not always offer the services of entertainment. Finally, it's been proven that when a kid (or an adult) is distracted their spirits lift up and the treatment works better.

I remember when I was a kid I was sent to the hospital with some sort of cold (I don't remember why exactly, I have to ask my mother later). The hospital not only has cable with a lot of kids channels they had a great playroom that my parents would take me to and I would play there for hours. On top of this my mother made these plush bunnies that kept me company throughout the treatment. I was so happy that I didn't even realize I was under treatment.

Nowadays, you are lucky to find a working TV in some hospitals! So this sort of thing is important to keep their spirits up and prove that we are more than just a bunch of jackasses.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2010, 09:25:46 PM »
Back when I got IV's as a kid, the hospital used to have an NES in the pediatrics...ward? Anyway, I played the hell out of Milon's Secret Castle, Zelda II, and Star Fox on their SNES. Such good times. Made the whole experience much more tolerable. I absolutely support Child's Play, and if anyone complains about it, they're doing so because they're idiots or they're heartless bastards.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2010, 02:29:15 PM »
I absolutely support Child's Play, and if anyone complains about it, they're doing so because they're idiots or they're heartless bastards.

Can't we be both?  ;)
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2010, 11:37:59 PM »
I doubt I will be able to listen, but I'll chip in Friday morning.

Offline Simon1321

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2010, 11:27:57 PM »
[size=78%]I would just like to say as a child brain cancer surviver a [/size]charity like this [size=78%] is a god send to children. At age eight I was diagnosed with cancer and one of the only thing to keep my mind off the pain, and reality of what was actually going on, video games really did help. in and out of hospitals for years the only thing that kept my mind sane was going on a zelda [/size]adventure[size=78%] or helping mario save the princess from bowser. Please do what you can to help it [/size]really[size=78%] is amazing what a simple game can do for a child in any long term medical situation, I know they will have my support[/size] ;D