Author Topic: RetroActive #11 Discussion: Super Mario RPG  (Read 39661 times)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Re: RetroActive #11 Discussion: Super Mario RPG
« Reply #100 on: February 23, 2010, 05:05:18 AM »
I backed up my save data for the game on my SD card in preparation for this kind of thing, or if I ever reformatted my wii by accident.

I backed up mine too, but for whatever reason (possibly a corrupted SD card, which I have since replaced), my save files were found to be incompatible with any games I tested after the repair.

There was a know glitch for a while where VC SMRPG saves were getting deleted/corrupted randomly for little reason and I believe Nintendo stealth updated the game on the shop channel to address the issue.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #101 on: February 24, 2010, 12:53:57 AM »
I'm getting destroyed in the sunken ship. Any tips on how to handle all these ghost enemies? The Gorgons in particular have brutal spells that can't be defended with a button press. And is there a trick to beating Dry Bones in less than 10 minutes, aside from Pure Water?
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 24, 2010, 01:22:07 AM »
What level are your characters at?

The Dry Bones enemies will be defeated in one hit by any special attack. I use Mallow's Thunderbolt because it uses only 2 FP and attacks all enemies. I believe the Gorgons are also weak vs. thunder attacks. Pure Water does come in real handy though, so master the timing to get a freebie.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #103 on: February 24, 2010, 01:35:00 AM »
I'm getting destroyed in the sunken ship. Any tips on how to handle all these ghost enemies? The Gorgons in particular have brutal spells that can't be defended with a button press. And is there a trick to beating Dry Bones in less than 10 minutes, aside from Pure Water?
Well as Mop_it_up mentioned special attacks do wonders. Thunderbolt works well.
Since you are in the Sunken Ship there is a good place to level up if you like and get more coins. In the room with the item seller there is a Drybones that keeps on coming back after you beat the battle.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Armak88

• Score: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 24, 2010, 01:48:08 AM »
My favourite part in the sunken ship is when you are in the room where there is a false mario that mirrors your movement and if you fake him out you can jump on his head, jump on the floating chest in the middle of the room and get a secret chest floating above the original one. I remember finding that when I was 8 years old and I was so proud of myself that I never forgot where that secret was.
"I'm not going to ban you yet just in case you really are a huge fan of bean bag chairs..." - Pale

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 24, 2010, 10:41:54 AM »
Square and Nintendo should collaborate on a sequel that has the graphical out put similar to that of the Mario Galaxy games.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 25, 2010, 09:52:35 AM »
I'm not sure that I ever see Nintendo and Square Enix making that sort of collaboration ever again.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #107 on: February 25, 2010, 01:52:30 PM »
They did it on Mario Basketball...

Thanks for the advice, by the way. I just beat Yaridovich.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Sundoulos

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 25, 2010, 02:59:38 PM »
They did it on Mario Basketball...

I had completely forgotten about that!
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 25, 2010, 09:26:03 PM »
It would give the wii the RPG momentum that it desperatly needs right now. I do not see much of a problem with them collaborating. The graphics of Galaxy would be nice for the game. But would the game be an actual sequel to SMRPG, or something completely new?

I wager that the game would be a true sequel to the old game with Smithy returning for revenge. Perhaps Yoshi and Luigi could be playable characters. Geno would return to help  out along with a series of new characters developed by Square. The return of the Axem Rangers would be cool aswell, but being able to battle the Blade airship in some kind of mech form would take the cake.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 09:28:54 PM by Kytim89 »

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 26, 2010, 03:42:50 AM »
I didn't find Mario Hoops to be a very good game, with poor control, poor balance, and a lack of content. I think a Wii sequel could have some potential, though the DS game didn't sell very well so that's unlikely to happen.

Offline Sundoulos

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 26, 2010, 09:18:35 AM »

It would give the wii the RPG momentum that it desperatly needs right now. I do not see much of a problem with them collaborating. The graphics of Galaxy would be nice for the game. But would the game be an actual sequel to SMRPG, or something completely new?
Well, I was originally hopeful that Square Enix would show something about Dragon Quest X this year, since they announced it would be on the Wii quite some time ago.  Now that NOA is publishing Dragon Quest IX, I think that the focus at E3 is going to be on pushing DQ IX.

« Reply #112 on: February 26, 2010, 01:23:59 PM »
Square and Nintendo should collaborate on a sequel that has the graphical out put similar to that of the Mario Galaxy games.

I absoultely agree! In fact, when I started playing that first part of Galaxy, the narative and feel reminded me a lot of SMRPG.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 26, 2010, 01:28:36 PM »
If it was to happen, what would everyone want from it?

« Reply #114 on: February 26, 2010, 02:34:28 PM »
Geno! Please Geno! haha
But really, the great humor that all of the MRPG games have shared.
The beautiful style of the Galaxy games (Maybe even stylized a little diferently).
A fully orchestrated soundtrack.
I'd be sold!

Offline gojira

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 01, 2010, 12:02:18 PM »
Just as a bit of a follow up.  I'm one of the few that enjoys Mario RPG more than the Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi games that followed.  I started a new game in Mario & Luigi to see exactly why I didn't enjoy it.

The main issue I have is the 'Bros.' stuff in the overworld.  Having to constantly switch between Mario & Luigi and turning on and off the special jumps or whatever is tedious, not fun and not Mario-y in my opinion.  I'm sure Luigi fans love it, but it isn't my thing.

Also I don't find the battles as enjoyable.  I do like the first strike aspect and the timing of jumps is still there.  But once again I don't like the 'Bros.' powers.  They're basically QTEs, which I don't particularly hate but I still didn't find fun at all.  I guess I like a bit of action in the battles (i.e. single button presses at the right time), but nothing too complicated. 

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #116 on: March 01, 2010, 03:25:10 PM »
I like SMRPG better than any Paper Mario game, but not as much as M&L 1/3.

By the way, I got the Lazy Shells! Seems inevitable that I will finally beat this game, as long as other things don't distract me first.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline dococtorok

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 01, 2010, 04:10:25 PM »
Just finished today (as I type the end credits are playing).  I have to say that I enjoyed the game more than either the M&L or Paper Mario games.  The pacing is just perfect, if a little easy.  I finished it without any grinding (even beat Culex) though the Lazy Shells helped a ton.  In fact right around the sunken ship I started avoiding every enemy I could. 

I love the M&L games, especially Superstar Saga, and generally despise the Paper Mario games because of the pacing problems and extensive dialogue that is not as funny as they think it is (I can pick up Metal Gear for that, thanks).  But neither of those series capture the pure strangeness and fast pace of this game.

There is a Luigi cameo, BTW, but I won't give away where.

Thanks for getting me to play it again, it was completely worth it! 

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 03, 2010, 09:39:51 PM »
I have reached Land's End and I am about ten hours into the game.