Author Topic: Mario Kart 8 DLC Thread (NoE pot stirring Edition)  (Read 30214 times)

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Baby Park Appreciation Thread
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2015, 11:50:38 PM »
Items no longer travel in between the median of Baby Park.

Ruined.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2015, 12:28:31 AM »
Whoever isn't excited about Baby Park neither understands Mario Kart nor deserves it.

Ruined.

Nevermind.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2015, 01:25:45 AM »
And the less said about Baby Park, the better IMO. It was the most boring track in an already dull Mario Kart installment.

Looks like someone doesn't understand the word appreciation.....

Whoever isn't excited about Baby Park neither understands Mario Kart nor deserves it.

Truth.

Looks like Nintendo doesn't understand how to appreciate Baby Park either....
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2015, 02:31:33 AM »

Then please, take my copy of Mario Kart 8 away. I mean, I'm only out $27. I wasn't going to buy the game at launch until my friend basically agreed to pay me to get it, and even then, the sweetener was that I'd be getting Pikmin 3 for $20 with an extra distraction on the side.

I despise Baby Park. it is a course that signifies everything I truly dislike about Mario Kart games. it removes the racing element almost entirely and boils it down to playing a slot machine. it actively goes against Mario Kart 8's race structure. It renders the coin mechanic null and void, as the track was designed with games that do not have the coin mechanic in mind. this in turn makes the coin item a far more egregious design flaw as it is now soley a handicap for doing good in a race. or doing bad, because Mario Kart 8 has some of the most fucked item balance in a Mario Kart game. Baby Park will only shine further light on this problem by making the "Everybody from 3rd to 9th place got the same item!" thing shine further. the issues with the game giving the 12th place person a solo mushroom while the 4th place racer gets a Bullet Bill will be more pronounced.

You guys are celebrating a track emblazoned with the most derided and hated characters in the franchise on it. As you continue to worship the discord contained within the ring of infancy, Nintendo will continue to plop more baby characters into these games. Just wait until the Baby Isabelle and Metal Baby Mario DLC drops. It will be all you people's fault for your blatant disregard for game design, and I'll be sitting back, facepalming.

In all seriousness, though. I brought Mario Kart 8 over to another friend's house last month so he could try it because he was on the fence and he REALLY hated it. Like, he got screamy at first, but then in just a dead monotone was like "there's still another track in this cup? ugh... please take the game out of my Wii U before I throw this oversized piece of crap through my television..." I really do not think tracks like Baby Park are going to bring in people who don't already have the game, and it's actively made me... not want to download the DLC any more. Like... I bought the season pass so i have it paid for? but as interested as I am in Big Blue, the remastered Cheese Land, or the subway course, I do not want to play Baby Park. I've had enough Baby Park to last me a lifetime. heck, after Mario Kart DS, I told myself I had enough Mario Kart to last me a lifetime, and yet... here I am, hamstrung into playing...

tl;dr Please take my copy of Mario Kart 8 away if it means I don't have to play Baby Park.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2015, 02:54:34 AM »
You guys are celebrating a track emblazoned with the most derided and hated characters in the franchise on it.

Well, it can't be "the most derided and hated characters in the franchise" if it's not a track based on Bowser Jr. and Waluigi, but I get your point. I hate the "Baby" characters, which are pretty much the perfect representation of Nintendo laziness. And while I can appreciate how some enjoy Baby Park for the sheer insanity of all those items flying around in a very enclosed space, to me it's just a incredibly boring track. It's a tiny oval with no special track interaction or even the slightest hint of imagination, like an even lamer version of NASCAR.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Re: Baby Park Hatred Thread
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2015, 07:13:07 AM »
* Shaymin whistles idly
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
Re: Mario Kart 8 DLC Thread (EFFIN BABY PARK Y'ALL!!!!!1)
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2015, 07:26:52 AM »
Baby Park is a flagship stage for Mario Kart. Beautiful chaos.

Pretty much.
Mission...complete?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2015, 07:54:45 AM »
Baby Park is the only track where I actually really like items. They're the only obstacles, and if you get hit with one, you're still in the game as races are generally close throughout. The blue shell can take out the top four or five racers yet it isn't even that devastating on this track. Seven lap minimum is a must.

Beautiful chaos? Yes, sir.

As for the other tracks, not bad. Neo Bowser City seems to get a lot of flak. It isn't my favorite, but I don't hate it. Based on the trailer, it's mostly an HD version of the original. I was hoping Nintendo would go all-in and make it more carnivalesque like World 8 in Super Mario 3D World because Neo Bowser City is a bit dull aesthetically despite some neon lights.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2015, 08:42:06 AM »
You guys are a bunch of vandals! Vandals, I say!!
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2015, 08:51:38 AM »
I'm gonna go ahead and say it - Baby Park was one of my favorite Gamecube MK tracks.  Yes, the scenery is pretty dull and it's literally just a loop, but everything's so tight quarters & chaotic that it keeps everything so interesting & entertaining each match.  Also best possibilty of lapping others if your'e good enough.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2015, 09:49:34 AM »
Clex... come on, man. What's the problem with a game having a level or two that break formula? Is variety and chaos truly a bad thing in a game like Mario Kart, which is more or less those concepts personified? I think Kart will never be a functioning racer because it's a party game, pure and simple. It was never trying to be a racing game, and if you think that, you haven't had enough Blue Shells to the face yet.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2015, 11:10:36 AM »
Clex... come on, man. What's the problem with a game having a level or two that break formula? Is variety and chaos truly a bad thing in a game like Mario Kart, which is more or less those concepts personified? I think Kart will never be a functioning racer because it's a party game, pure and simple. It was never trying to be a racing game, and if you think that, you haven't had enough Blue Shells to the face yet.

Maybe I was a bit sleep addled and loopy when I mad ethat tieraid, but I have a couple of reasons for not liking the course... namely because Baby Park is the reason I not only gave up on 3-starring all cups on Mario Kart DS, but also I had a friend who would ONLY play Baby Park, and I got really, REALLY, sick of the course and the fact that there's no formula to at least semi-consistently winning the race.. yeah, ther'es taking the corners extra tight and staying as close to the inside of the loop as possible, but that's also a good way to get murdered. or being on the outside. or being anywhere on that track.

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2015, 11:13:22 AM »
It's a tiny oval with no special track interaction or even the slightest hint of imagination, like an even lamer version of NASCAR.

That is how I remember it Mario Kart DS
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2015, 11:24:50 AM »
People who hate Baby Park are clearly outing themselves as terrible Mario Kart players. Git gud.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2015, 11:28:03 AM »
Also, I main Baby Weegee.

Haters gonna hate.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
Re: Mario Kart 8 DLC Thread (Haters gonna hate Baby Park Edition)
« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2015, 01:32:11 PM »
Really liking the look of the revamped GBA courses. It amazes me just how much they have transformed yet still retain similarities to their originals. The new tracks all look sensational as well. It's going to be a long wait for me until next week!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2015, 03:35:06 PM »
I finally read Clex's rant and I would like ClexYoshi's free copy of Mario Kart 8.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2015, 04:02:55 PM »
what? who doesnt like baby park? Baby park is pure mario fun! Actually that is the level i missed the most.

People who hate Baby Park are clearly outing themselves as terrible Mario Kart players. Git gud.

truth
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 04:19:21 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2015, 04:42:10 PM »
Baby Park was great fun.  Especially with the giant banana and bowser shell items in Double Dash.

That recording video was great.  I would love to see them release one doing the Rainbow Road 64 remix.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 16, 2015, 04:52:56 PM »
I finally read Clex's rant and I would like ClexYoshi's free copy of Mario Kart 8.
As I said, you'd have to come and take it. XD I ain't paying to ship it out!

I'm the one who generally wins at Mario Kart out of my local group of friends, no matter what iteration, but I'm not super great at winning races online in Mario Kart 8 because of how insurmountable it seems to be to unwedge yourself from the middle of the pack, and Baby Park will only prove to amplify this while sapping the fun out of blazing ahead of the opposition and being able to focus on the track design instead of a bunch of **** flying all over the place.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 22, 2015, 08:38:19 PM »
Full Patch Notes.

-Animal Crossing DLC Pack 2 is available for download
-9 new Amiibo Suits added

200cc class added
-Grand Prix: Must beat all cups on 150cc to play Grand Prix on 200cc
-VS race: 200cc can be selected from the beginning.
-Online play custom rules: 200cc can be selected from the beginning.
-Friend Lobby: 200cc can be selected from the beginning.
-Tournament settings: 200cc can be selected from the beginning.
-When you Brake while Drifting in 200cc mode, sparks will fly from your tires.
-Breaking now possible while drifting using the Wii Remote by pushing B, 1, & 2 buttons at the same time.
-Able to add CPU players to Online Custom Rules, but only human players will count for scoring.

Pressing the minus button on the following controllers will now put the map on the screen:
-Wii U Pro Controller
-Classic Controller
-Wii Remote + Nun-chuck

-The seasons on the Animal Crossing course are random except in Time Trials, which is limited to Summer only.
-10 new stamps added for use in Miiverse posts
-Bug Fixes

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2015, 12:49:27 PM »
Eh the remake Baby Park ain't that bad. The lack of fake item boxes rids me of one of my DD headaches.

Ain't played an Animal Crossing since Wild World & yet I'm ecstatic as Hell to see Mitzy is by the starting line. Ugh I got more issues than I thought...
Mission...complete?

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 23, 2015, 01:01:54 PM »
My system is not recognizing the DLC/Update. Just says that I've pre-ordered and need to wait for the release. Any one else getting this?

Edit: Owp, looks like it wouldn't even recognize the DLC in queue until I cleared enough space for it, which is a bit weird. Last time I think it alerted me that it didn't have enough space for the update when I booted it for DLC pack 1.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 01:11:18 PM by MagicCow64 »

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 23, 2015, 01:14:23 PM »
baby park+200cc= insanity :cool;
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 23, 2015, 01:34:15 PM »
I found this DLC pack surprisingly hit-or-miss, considering how good the tracks in the first pack generally were. Wild Woods; Ribbon Road; Super Bell Subway; & Big Blue were all very cool tracks, but I found the other 4 at best unremarkable. I'm particularly underwhelmed by the Animal Crossing stage, which reminds me a lot of Moo Moo Farm and has just about as interesting a track layout.

1 thing also stood out to me about all these tracks: I didn't see a single shortcut. There were places where the tracks branched off and one direction was faster than the other, but I didn't see any shortcuts.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.