Author Topic: NBA Thread: Brought To You By The Tampa Bay Raptors Of Toronto  (Read 680145 times)

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Hubie I love you but what the ****?

Shaun is "seriously considering" retirement, but could "possibly" play next season.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
Leonard was being swarmed by the Warriors so he had to get his points where he could while passing out of the double teams.   ...

Yeah, I should couch my "not great" statement.
He wasn't great compared to the lofty expectations that have been built up for him - but he worked hard all game, created opportunities for his teammates, and totally deserves the Finals MVP. You could tell that Golden State paid a huge amount of attention to him all series.
NNID: ejamer

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
Hubie I love you but what the ****?

That's a "we all know he won't win, but take a second and check out what this guy has accomplished" attention grabbing vote.  FVV was pretty fantastic throughout the series; stepped up consistently when needed, and was a huge part of their wins.

Kawhi was indisputably the most important Raptors player though.

Offline Soren

• View Profile

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
First of all....

The Injury Bug bit us this year. One of the reasons why it hard to repeat, much less threepeat.
Boogie with the thigh muscle
Curry with the finger still taped (previous dislocation)
Durant with the "calf"
Iggy with the hamstring
and then Klay with the hammy (thanks to a slick uncalled body check foul by Danny Green)
and then Looney with the chest/shoulder cartilage (Kawhi rcoked him with the lowered shoulder)
and then Durant again but with the Achilles
and then Klay again with knee.... (once again thanks to a body check foul by Danny Green)
(edit: turns out all that jumping and running around after the fact became a torn ACL..... smfh)
**honorary mention to Boogie being a liability for the majority of his playoff return**

and yet we still somehow we managed to rally 2 wins against a very hungry and deep Raptors.

BUT..... and this is a HUGE BUT....

We were robbed of a point from the 1st quarter and they never corrected it.
Draymond hit a 3, they ruled it a 2, and no one ever corrected it. I was bitching about it the whole game, I even tweeted @ the Warriors to ask for a review and get it corrected because I knew... I FUCKING KNEW it was going to come back to haunt us.

*and I never use twitter.....*

and the game should have ended regulation as a tie (yes I know had we had 1 more point, different decisions could have been made in shot selections throughout the rest of the game, but we never got the point, so all I can go on is the final score).

I don't know what 5 minutes of OT would've done, but Curry can sometimes be a beast in OT. We were ROBBED on a single point, and that point made a difference. We still had plenty of chances to win the game, and ultimately failed, but that doesn't take away the fact that we were robbed of a single point that decided the outcome of a game. What's even worse, is that it was obvious, it was even replayed and called out by the announcer (after i yelled at the TV first >:( ) and still no one bothered to correct it.

Can't be taken back now, but this just might've got to game 7 where we would have likely lost, especially if Klay was not playing.

EDIT: found a video of someone doing what I wanted to do in the moment but couldn't.....
https://www.reddit.com/r/warriors/comments/c0e9to/warriors_shorted_1pt/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

The win is now tainted with an *
p.s. not the championship, but just this game 6 win (I still think Toronto was gonna win in game 7 with all our injuries - no way Curry could do it by himself)

3peat just wasn't meant to be.... maybe we can run it back to the finals again next year, especially since the Rockets decided to implode for no good reason. LOL
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 02:32:39 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Soren

• View Profile
Had Golden State won tonight my bet would have been:

Warriors either win Game 7 by 40 points or they lose it by 40 points.

The way the series had gone so far it was only fitting.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
BnM Dreymond had a tip in when the ball was in the cylinder still and that counted when it shouldn't of.  Add the one point for that earlier 3 and subtract the 2 points from the cylinder and the Raptors still win.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile

Some calls were missed, and some bad calls made, both ways during every game this series. It doesn't matter, Raptors won in 6 and except for two quarters were pretty much dominant.

The only asterisk that can be applied is because Klay got injured on a tough (but totally legit) challenge at the rim. Injuries happen, and you can only play who is left on the floor... but that injury could have been the tipping point in a very close and exciting game. I blame bad Karma for what Zaza did a couple years back.

Truly hope that Klay is able to recover fully and come back just as good as before the injury!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
My guess is that with Durant having a torn Achilles, he takes his player option and sits out a season (unless another team is willing to Max him and let him sit the first year......)

and Klay signs his Max deal, rest/rehab till after the All-Star break.

Meanwhile, Curry, Dray, Iggy, and Looney gotta ball out all season just to make the bottom half of the Playoff seeding.
Real chance for McKinney and Cook to find their place on the team.
I assume they let Boogie walk. Not even an offer of extension or re-signing. Just thank him for the "effort" and leave him standing out front Oracle while everyone else's **** gets moved to SF.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
BnM Dreymond had a tip in when the ball was in the cylinder still and that counted when it shouldn't of.  Add the one point for that earlier 3 and subtract the 2 points from the cylinder and the Raptors still win.
I ain't even mad.... Disappointed, but not mad. Disappointed not only that we lost, but we lost the last 3 games ever in Oracle. And allowed a first time Finals appearance to celebrate their first time Chip in our locker room.

Threepeats hardly ever happen for exactly this reason. five finals runs in a row. 3 rings, 2 of them back to back. We've had a good run so far.... it may not be over yet.

Kawhi looks set to bounce from Toronto, so we'll see if they are able to run it back next year.

We may not have KD (anymore) and no Klay for most of the year, but we'll just have to figure out how to adjust... (with no cap space. LOL)

Our luck simply ran out this year, and Curry really couldn't carry the load himself, but he just simply had his break out game on the wrong night.... VanVleet really kept him in check, and hardly ever let him get the space to even take a shot. I can see why he got the lone FMVP vote, because that effort had to be recognized.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
I ain't even mad.... Disappointed, but not mad. Disappointed not only that we lost, but we lost the last 3 games ever in Oracle. And allowed a first time Finals appearance to celebrate their first time Chip in our locker room.

Threepeats hardly ever happen for exactly this reason. five finals runs in a row. 3 rings, 2 of them back to back. We've had a good run so far.... it may not be over yet.

Kawhi looks set to bounce from Toronto, so we'll see if they are able to run it back next year.

We may not have KD (anymore) and no Klay for most of the year, but we'll just have to figure out how to adjust... (with no cap space. LOL)

Our luck simply ran out this year, and Curry really couldn't carry the load himself, but he just simply had his break out game on the wrong night.... VanVleet really kept him in check, and hardly ever let him get the space to even take a shot. I can see why he got the lone FMVP vote, because that effort had to be recognized.
Emotionally I can see how it is draining for a fan to have all that history in one arena and to not be able to enjoy the last moments in its history.   I still remember the night when the Spurs closed down the Lakers for the last moments of the Great Western Forum in the playoffs.

As to what the Warriors do well if they happen to resign Klay and Durant then both of them are going to be out a season since they both have ACL tears so give the youngsters on the team to develop with Steph and Draymond. Get Cook, McKennie and Bell more time to develop so they can add to the depth. With your two picks with the 28th and 58th pick maybe get one international player and have them develop over seas that year and when Klay and Durant come back that player can help right away and with the other a need like a power forward because behind Green it is kinda limited.   Just my thoughts.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile

BUT..... and this is a HUGE BUT....

We were robbed of a point from the 1st quarter and they never corrected it.
Draymond hit a 3, they ruled it a 2, and no one ever corrected it. I was bitching about it the whole game, I even tweeted @ the Warriors to ask for a review and get it corrected because I knew... I FUCKING KNEW it was going to come back to haunt us.

Welcome to what it was like being a Jazz fan in 1997 and 1998.  ;)
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
Golden State is in a tough spot regarding roster choices.

They should definitely sign Klay to whatever he wants. Dude is an amazing player and total competitor.

But Iggy is showing his age, despite an incredible final game. He's a luxury for a championship team, but would the Warriors be better off moving to some young blood? Same goes for Livingston and Bogut.

Does Boogie stay or go? You have to feel like he'll want a bigger contract, and Warriors don't have much space available.

Durant is also a big question mark. I feel like he'd be better off (from a "legacy" standpoint) going somewhere else and winning, and there are definitely hungry teams that would sign him to a 4 year max knowing he'll sit out the first year - he's worth that without question.  But this was a lousy way to end his time with the Warriors... so maybe that will convince him to come back for one last run?

I feel like Golden State will have some really tough choices to make this off-season as they retool around the edges and try to get another couple deep runs with this core. The trick is how they do it, with no cap space to work with.

Is there any evidence of this, other than competing teams desperately hoping it to be true?
I mean, Toronto can offer the most money, took really good care of him all year, and just won the finals.

Sounds pretty salty to throw this out immediately after your team loses, when nobody seems to have any idea of what he's going to do. Home is where the heart is, but my guess would have been that he signs a one-and-done contract, or maybe a 2-year with player option on the second, to see if they get another championship.

Either way, I wonder if Durant looks at how Kawhi has suddenly become a legend in Canada and thinks bout what impact he would have in New York (or a similar big market that hasn't won for a long time).

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
Also, two brief shout-outs:

First for the Oracle crowd. They were loud and proud, and even after the loss broke out into a Warriors chant to support their team.  After game 4 when people were silent and leaving earlier at game end, this was way better.

Second for the final play call by Golden State. What a great set play to get a shot for Curry. It worked extremely well, he had a fantastic look. The results weren't what they wanted, but what a great play call!

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Bring Lebron back to the championship next year.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Bring Lebron back to the championship next year.

That is the hope for the Lakers. Lakers are in talks with the Pelicans already for an AD trade. Lonzo, Ingram and the 4th pick for AD is what is being proposed. David Griffin wants to get the trade done before the NBA draft to shop around that 4th pick for an All-Star.  Maybe a 3rd team gets into the trade to help with other players and a possible player in return.  Maybe Phoenix or Washington for the 2rd team in the deal.   We shall see.

No idea what happens with Kawai but I think he deserves to enjoy the championship and Finals MVP for a few days before talking about free agency.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Soren

• View Profile
Durant is going to opt in and rehab on Warriors dime. He won us 2 championships he can do that.

I would totally still give Klay the max no questions asked.

Iggy, Dray and Livingston are all signed through the end of 2020. Iggy and Shaun stand to earn 24 million between them next year so it's probably in management's best interest they retire or move on. Normally I would be against that out of loyalty to these dudes but the current injury situation gives them an out. I just don't know who would want Iggy at 17 million, even in his final year.

Bell and Quinn Cook are RFA's. Bell probably stays but I can see a few times making Cook a good offer.

McKinnie is safe for one more year(not fully guaranteed), same with Damian Jones who is making 1st rounder money unfortunately. Jakob Evans has 2 team options and I can see them at least picking up the first one.

Everyone else is unrestricted. They'll let Boogie walk but Looney is the big question mark. It looks like the team finally has a decent enough center to anchor this team so you kinda can't let him walk.

Next year looks very rough if Iggy and Shaun don't get moved/retire.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
Durant is going to opt in and rehab on Warriors dime. He won us 2 championships he can do that.

Is this a sure thing?  It's definitely an option, but I thought opting out would get him a raise, whether he signs a 2-year deal to have a final run with GS or goes elsewhere for a longer contract.

Also, do people believe that the Lakers will actually get a big free agent signing to pair with James?  Somehow I'm skeptical. That franchise is just such a mess right now. It feels kind of like Boston in how they had a bunch of young assets but didn't make the right bets and might end up watching a huge opportunity fade away...
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 11:06:31 AM by ejamer »

Offline Soren

• View Profile
Is this a sure thing?  It's definitely an option, but I thought opting out would get him a raise, whether he signs a 2-year deal to have a final run with GS or goes elsewhere for a longer contract.

I'm just assuming that's a real option if the market isn't there for him this year.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile

Is there any evidence of this, other than competing teams desperately hoping it to be true?
I mean, Toronto can offer the most money, took really good care of him all year, and just won the finals.

Sounds pretty salty to throw this out immediately after your team loses, when nobody seems to have any idea of what he's going to do. Home is where the heart is, but my guess would have been that he signs a one-and-done contract, or maybe a 2-year with player option on the second, to see if they get another championship.

Based on recent tweets his close confidants and fam, his non-committal status, and the reactions to a deleted tweet from last night from a Kawhi tweet (I didn't see the actual tweet before it was deleted) it just seems like Kawhi kinda had his heart set on something else.
We'll see over the next few months how a statue resurrected in his honor and endless streams of Toronto men and women throwing themselves down as sacrificial lambs for Kawhi's personal pleasure will change his mind, but he seemed less than enthusiastic about immediately running it back next year, regardless of what happened in the finals this year. that was before and after winning.

I would totally still give Klay the max no questions asked.

Iggy, Dray and Livingston are all signed through the end of 2020. Iggy and Shaun stand to earn 24 million between them next year so it's probably in management's best interest they retire or move on. Normally I would be against that out of loyalty to these dudes but the current injury situation gives them an out. I just don't know who would want Iggy at 17 million, even in his final year.

Bell and Quinn Cook are RFA's. Bell probably stays but I can see a few times making Cook a good offer.

McKinnie is safe for one more year(not fully guaranteed), same with Damian Jones who is making 1st rounder money unfortunately. Jakob Evans has 2 team options and I can see them at least picking up the first one.

Everyone else is unrestricted. They'll let Boogie walk but Looney is the big question mark. It looks like the team finally has a decent enough center to anchor this team so you kinda can't let him walk.

Next year looks very rough if Iggy and Shaun don't get moved/retire.

Durant - stays.
Klay - Maxxed

Curry - gunning for 3rd MVP season
Dray - aiming for DPOY and that last SuperMAXX slot next year
Iggy - keep - 6th man position
Looney - re-sign
McKinnie, takes Klay's slot for the 1st half of the season.

Livingston - retire, join team as player development coach or something

Cook.... we still need a back up PG, gotta try to keep him

Damian Jones, Looney needs a back up
Bell, if he's cheap, I say keep him for 1 more year

Cousins.... let him walk, unless he makes massive improvements on movement and lift over the summer, I say let him take a mid-level contract w/ some other team and regret not taking the Pels offer last year (or being the difference in securing 2 less Warrior losses... however he wishes to look at it).

Bogut is headed back to Australia, and he won't be back unless we look like we in a path to a Championship.

Everyone else.... shuffle them out, pad end of bench, drop back to G League
don't really care. Jerebko, might be ok to keep, but we gonna need some established experienced talent to help out our depleted starting 6 (not even sure who to put in that 5th starting lineup yet - I guess we'll have to wait and see who Draymond called from the parkinglot this year)

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Klay deserves the max, hands down.  He had 30 in that game when Steph was just not getting it done.

That game was really good, but I could see how it might've been rough to watch as a Warriors fan.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
Hahaha... Ujiri "fighting a cop" after the game.

(Lots of gross exaggeration here. Ujiri tried to get on the court post-game with his team, a overly zealous sheriff's deputy pushed him back because no ID was immediately visible, Ujiri pushed the cop in response after being shoved and his arm supposedly slid up as that happened resulting in a "strike to the face" of the officer. Then a whole bunch of more level-headed bystanders jumped in between them while security members and Kyle Lowry brought Ujiri onto the court.)

If you ask me, the cop is lucky they were separated peacefully. He might have won that "fight", but a take down of a multi-millionaire team president post game wouldn't have been a good look for anyone and probably would have resulted in a embarrassing lawsuit.

Of course, they want to press charges for battery of an officer anyway and say the only reason they didn't arrest him last night is because it was a "special moment for the team"... Interested to see how this goes. Up here, cops in the US have a pretty bad reputation for being unfair and unreasonable. Seeing petty garbage like this doesn't help.

**** Brooklyn, and **** the Police!
(Don't really do that. But it seems like an appropriate and funny ending here...)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 01:57:31 PM by ejamer »

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.

Also, do people believe that the Lakers will actually get a big free agent signing to pair with James?  Somehow I'm skeptical. That franchise is just such a mess right now. It feels kind of like Boston in how they had a bunch of young assets but didn't make the right bets and might end up watching a huge opportunity fade away...

If you are talking about the head coaching search and all that they have already found a head coach and several assistant coaches in Vogel, Hollins and Kidd respectfully.  Aside from the initial intances of this offseason with Magic and the initial head coach search the Lakers have been very smooth in selecting the right parts for the front office and the recent AD negotionations have not been like the trade deadline back in Feb. Controlled and managed and I think that since the Pels have jettisoned Demps from the front office they are going to get what they need for Davis and it should be fair for all parties.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
I was dying last night so I didn’t watch the game. I’ll watch highlights or something.

I missed most of the discussion here so here are some thoughts:

1. I don’t think any team would have beaten the Warriors at full strength. However, I’m not fond of the excuse that if player X or Y were available/healthy, team Z would have won. It’s such a silly hypothetical. The Raptors capitalized on a favorable situation and won a series they had every right to win.

2. I believe Kawhi Leonard leaves the Raptors. He should get a free pass in Canada for life so when he returns as an opponent, he shouldn’t get booed. Then again, Raptors fans cheered when Kevin Durant went down so 🤷â€â™€ï¸

3. I’m a little disappointed that DeMarcus Cousins didn’t get his championship ring this year. Even Nick Young got one last year. Cousins had no business playing in this series with an exploded quad. He wasn’t great, but he toughed it out even though I’m on the side that people generally shouldn’t play injured. For these guys, ball is life so unless management or the coaching staff refuses to let them on the court, they’re going to want to play.

4. I read on Bleacher Report the Lakers are apparently the betting favorites to win the title next year. You guys know I’m a Lakers fan so believe me when I say the following reaction is genuine:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA GTFO

The Lakers would need to trade for Anthony Davis, somehow keep either Brandon Ingram or Lonzo Ball, AND sign Kawhi Leonard, and even then, maybe.

5. The Warriors should offer Kevin Durant the five-year max. I don’t think he should take it. Some team will offer him the four-year max. Either take that this summer, or opt into the second year of his current deal, rehab on The Warriors dime, then **** off next summer because some team will offer him the max because torn Achilles or not, he’s still Kevin Durant.

6. Klay Thompson better be offered the max. *shakes fist in Oakland’s San Francisco’s direction*

7. If Draymond Green stays in shape and doesn’t have to lose 25 lbs in a month (which super unhealthy, don’t do that) to be effective in May, he should be offered the max.

8. Masai Ujiri struck a cop. Yikes. In almost any other situation in this asinine country, a black man hitting cop has a high chance of ending with a dead black man. An unfortunate situation. Ultimately, Ujiri probably doesn’t get charged with anything, but that could have gotten much uglier.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
In regards to the betting line for the Lakers that is just there are lots of Laker fans betting on them and hoping for a finals win and not necessarily who is going to win it all this coming season.

In regards to the Durant/Toronto fans topic. https://youtu.be/SLuB3OQrL-Q?t=95   
My thinking is what both Tracy and Brian are saying.  Ya know sometimes you get caught up in the moment and react in a way that you reflect on later. With Brian and what he is saying I guess there was already a group of people that were against Durant ya know booing and the like before the game so they were going to react that way anyway. Not saying it is okay just don't let a section of people dictate an entire country. 
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 07:31:22 PM by BeautifulShy »
Alexis, she/her/Miss