Author Topic: Heavy Hitters Lead to Significant Wii U, 3DS Software Sales Increase in February  (Read 4195 times)

Offline Aaron Brown

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Twitter

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze and Bravely Default lead the pack for Nintendo.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/36845/heavy-hitters-lead-to-significant-wii-u-3ds-software-sales-increase-in-february

February 2014 software sales for both Nintendo 3DS and Wii U rose above February 2013 sales thanks to both Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze and Bravely Default.

In February, Wii U software sales were 180 percent higher than software sales the previous February. 3DS software sales also rose 25 percent when measured up to last year's sales.

The heavy increase of sales is due in part thanks to Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze and Bravely Default. Tropical Freeze managed to sell over 130,000 copies in the mere eight days it was on the shelves in February. Bravely Default, released on February 7, dished out over 200,000 units on the market in its remaining few weeks of the month. These numbers surpassed Fire Emblem Awakening's launch by 10 percent.

Pokémon X & Y also sold strong last month with a combined total of 130,000 copies.

Aaron R. Brown
Previews Editor
Nintendo World Report

NOW THATS NINTENDO POWER
(NFL)Nintendo For Life

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
slow and steady

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Said Sega in the 90's.

Technically Sega did the knee jerk reaction many on the internet want Nintendo to do and just killed their system too early, leaving a gap of about two years of nothing before the Dreamcast was released.  This was one of the factors that killed that system since many didn't exactly trust Sega anymore because they didn't want to buy a system that could be killed in less then 3 years.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Are you saying actually HAVING new Wii U software in February this time increased Wii U software sales compared to last year's complete no-show? Man, who'd have thought?  ::)
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Nice number for Bravely Default, glad to see.

Considering the smaller number of days for DKCTF, those might be nice numbers as well. Hope it keeps it up next month.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
A clear indication that Nintendo needs to throw as many of their first party titles they can muster to gain Wii U sales. The release of a new Star Fox, F-Zero, Metroid, Star Tropics, Advanced Wars, Fire Emblem, etc, would push the Wii U further to surpassing the Gamecube in sales.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline jarodea

• A man of the world, so suave and discrete, he trips over the women piled up at his feet
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
A pretty lackluster month for anything not called PS4 or XBOne.  Those 3DS sales in particular are alarming, hopefully Nintendo will eventually realize the $200 handheld market only briefly existed (the DSi has turned out to be worse for Nintendo that I ever imagined, sending Iwata hurtling off in the wrong direction just as the market raced off in another).

Are you saying actually HAVING new Wii U software in February this time increased Wii U software sales compared to last year's complete no-show? Man, who'd have thought?  ::)
Iwata's grand scheme revealed, no new games means next year's paltry sales look amazing.

Nice number for Bravely Default, glad to see.

Considering the smaller number of days for DKCTF, those might be nice numbers as well. Hope it keeps it up next month.
Agree with BD, but too early to say for DKCTF other than they aren't obviously great or terrible.  Even looking at past performance it difficult given the different install bases between Wii and Wii U, different demographics, starkly different software situations, different release times, and simply too few games to directly compare for a baseline.  We'll get a better idea in a few months.

A clear indication that Nintendo needs to throw as many of their first party titles they can muster to gain Wii U sales. The release of a new Star Fox, F-Zero, Metroid, Star Tropics, Advanced Wars, Fire Emblem, etc, would push the Wii U further to surpassing the Gamecube in sales.
Clearly, and to do so they need to expand, buy new developers, and make partnerships with others... in 2009.  I wonder if GCN sales are even possible at this point, the GCN had a pretty nice mid-life revival (outsold the PS2 a few months in NA iirc) but then again it died shortly thereafter.  Hey, there's one way Nintendo can boost the Wii U, drop it to $100 (or was it $150), with a choice of 4 or 5 great games people would actually want, and do it right before Mario Kart comes out.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Heavy Hitters sounds like an extreme baseball game from Acclaim in the early 90s.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
Heavy Hitters sounds like an extreme baseball game from Acclaim in the early 90s.
I read it as Heavy Hitlers...
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Aaron Brown

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Twitter

I suppose I could have worded that differently. Thanks for pointing that out.
Aaron R. Brown
Previews Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline smallsharkbigbite

• Score: -7
    • View Profile

Technically Sega did the knee jerk reaction many on the internet want Nintendo to do and just killed their system too early, leaving a gap of about two years of nothing before the Dreamcast was released.  This was one of the factors that killed that system since many didn't exactly trust Sega anymore because they didn't want to buy a system that could be killed in less then 3 years.

Well, Sega killed the Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, and then Dreamcast all very quickly.  That's a little different than moving on from just one failure.  Nintendo moved on from the Virtual Boy pretty quickly and didn't suffer a setback in the portable sector. 

Surprising they usually supported the consoles with lots of games.  The Saturn had 596 games released for it and the 688 games.  It would be almost impossible for the Wii U to hit that many games even if they support it for 5 years. 

Offline smallsharkbigbite

• Score: -7
    • View Profile
"Dreamcast 688 games".  No edit button. 

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile

I suppose I could have worded that differently. Thanks for pointing that out.

Naw man, no differently, that's the best part!