Author Topic: Music recommendations  (Read 21586 times)

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
Re: Music recommendations
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2013, 08:21:27 PM »
Having watched the documentary 'Searching for Sugar Man' I'm now completely obsessed with Jesus 'Sixto' Rodriguez. It does him little justice to compare him to other artists (he truely does have a sound that is all his own), but his songs do have elements which remind me of some of my favourite artists. His voice often reminds me of Nick Drake's singing style, the construction of his riffs and the layering of orchestral instrumentation remind me of Neil Diamond, and the social commentary in his lyrics is up there with Bob Dylan and Neil Young.

I highly recommend watching the documentary, but I think the music of the man himself is what is going to stick with for the long term.

Here is one of my favourites.

You've got me curious, and I'm always open to new music. This guy sounds interesting, this might just be my weekend plans.. thanks.

Got 10 minutes to spare?
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2013, 06:07:59 PM »
Gotta love George Clinton.

Saw him two years ago and had a hilarious time.

I've been on OkayAfrica.com for a day now and can't believe how much awesome music I've missed. Even if you're not even into music that you can't understand it's still worth it to check it out.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2013, 08:24:18 PM »

Got 10 minutes to spare?

Just got around to checking this out, I really enjoyed it. Awesome stuff. 03:31 - 04:40 blew my mind. As a teenager I was in a band called Radio Brine and we were going for a similar sound. Less refined of course, but similar.

I've got another recommendation for any fans of Motorhead out there (I was kind of late to the party on this one myself. I only started listening to them about 3 years ago, and they broke up shortly after). Check it out.

Inepsy

« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 08:27:05 PM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2013, 10:01:16 PM »
thanks bro, I'm in a more mellow mood right now so I'll check it out later.
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2013, 04:15:57 PM »
I woke up this morning with Frank Black's 'Abstract Plain' lodged firmly in my brain. I don't know why, I haven't listened to that song in over a year, but for some reason it's been following me around all day. To be perfectly honest, it's driving me mad, lol. I just can't get it out of my head! I've even tried humming the Fragle Rock theme (that usually over powers any other tune in my head) but to no avail.

Press play if you dare.

If 'Abstract Plain' does get stuck in your head, take the following 2 times a day for 4 weeks.

Gouge away.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2013, 07:53:00 PM »
I'll have to check those out later, I'm about to start a movie.

A guy on reddit posted up a tune he wrote and I liked it so much he sent me an mp3 on the condition that I share it as much as possible, so here goes:

Offline nintendo1945

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2013, 09:39:17 PM »
I highly recommend Streetlight Manifesto. One of my all time favorites. Here are some examples:

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2013, 05:50:04 PM »
so I've been listening to this artist heavily lately, after a recommendation from a family member:

and yesterday while going through some of my "watch later" videos on youtube, I happened to read in the description that the lovely Lindsay Stirling (above) was the one who arranged this AWESOME zelda medley

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2013, 01:02:33 AM »
The new My Bloody Valentine album m b v dropped and it's pretty killer. Nice to have a new album from them after 20 years and I've already ordered the vinyl. I'm also seeing them in a couple of weeks so that should also be killer!

A lot of new stuff coming out is sounding great.

Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds:

The Knife:

The Strokes:

The Drones (my favourite Australian band btw):

All these guys have albums slated for release this year and this is only a sliver of the stuff I'm looking forward to. 2013 is looking to be a stellar year.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2013, 10:17:19 AM »
I had to take the day off work because of my persistent car situation so I plan on listening to everything in this thread at least once. Funny that Dasmos mentions MBV since I've been seeing Anamanaguchi tweet about them for the past few days and started to get curious.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2013, 01:56:00 AM »
I know MBV were also gonna feature pretty heavily in that Beautiful Noise documentary you made the Kickstarter thread about. Their last album Loveless is a classic and it's been hugely influential on noise rock and shoegaze music. It's also one of the best albums of the 90's.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2013, 03:03:31 AM »
Popjustice (who is a great music website to follow for POP) best described my bloody valentine:

"Think of Rihanna, then think of the exact opposite".

Since i got access to the Sony Music Unlimited thingy (£12 for a year! amazing bargain!) i've been listening to a lot of older R&B groups. Brownstone over the weekend, Dru Hill right now.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 03:31:38 AM by Plugabugz »

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2013, 07:12:36 PM »
Wow. I think I'm in love with this band, guys. They're one of those, so good it hurts, bands. Check it out.

Recommended for those who like Velvet Underground, The Vaselines, and Joy Division.

Speaking of the Vaselines, check out this cover of Devine's 'You think you're a man'.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 07:20:26 PM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2013, 03:46:57 PM »
So I'm looking to throw an event with an up and coming national artist. Anyone have any suggestions? I don't mind the genre.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2013, 03:08:24 AM »
Nathaniel Rateliff might be worth looking into. He's been and up and coming for years now, lol. I've seen him live twice, the second time he was backing up a local Belfast band, and both times were a lot of fun.

I'm not sure what you mean by national artist, but I believe he's based out of Denver.
Gouge away.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2013, 01:03:24 PM »
I guess what I mean about Up and Coming National Artist, is that their name is recognizable all over the country but only by hipsters haha. But seriously, only recognizable by a small sliver of the population.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2013, 11:25:22 PM »
Haim. If it wasn't for Nardwuar I wouldn't know about these 3 lovely, young women (sisters). They got some good music going on.

Offline Glad0s

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Reagan's Music Reviews
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2013, 09:44:04 AM »
How I haven't found this thread till now baffles me. I'm a MAJOR music nerd -- heck, I even have a blog where I review classic rock albums. But yeah -- recommendations.

The most pressing one I can think of is Embryonic by The Flaming Lips. It came out back in 2009 to some minor fanfare, but it's still underrated -- I'm calling it the best album I've heard since London Calling, and that was 1979. Ya like psych-rock? FOR THE LOVE OF GOD CHECK THIS OUT. It's not too accessible, but man, is it fantastic. "Watching the Planets", "Powerless", and "Silver Trembling Hands" are a few standout tracks.

...I've gotta go, I'll post more later.
"Isn't Karl like Mexican or something"

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2013, 03:57:56 PM »
As is my way, I'm currently obsessing over a handful of albums and tracks to the detriment of listening to anything else. I can't help myself. Check 'em out.

First up is 'Isn't It Time' by the The Beach Boys. Holy F***ing S*** is this song catchy. I simply cannot stop singing that opening line in my head over and over again. It's incredible. I'm still not exactly clear how it is that I managed to miss this album when it was released last year (I've adored The Beach Boys since I was like 16), but I'm so glad that I finally got around to listening to it. It's pretty much been the soundtrack to my summer so far.

Remember guys, the good times never have to end!

The next song I've been fixated with recently has been 'Killing My Heart' by The Waterboys. I'll admit I'm pretty new to this band, but I do love it when they fully embrace their folk influences as they do here. I love the energy, but also the way the song just collapses on itself towards the end.

It was thanks to a reference in a Pixies biography I read as a teenager that I became aware of Husker Du, and their amazing album Zen Arcade. I listened to it for the first time in years earlier today, and man it's good. I think I forgot just how Good! I mean...just listen to it!

Being a fan of her previous two albums, I was psyched to hear Laura Marling's new album 'Once I was an Eagle'. I'm happy to report that it's fantastic. This song in particular stood out for me. The lyrics really have a bite to them, which is exactly what I look for in a good Marling song. Check it out.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 04:15:13 PM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline toddra

• You dirty RAT
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2013, 08:24:17 PM »
Has anyone here ever listened to the Heathers? They are a group of Irish folk/rock singers I like them lately. I also have been getting into more alternative stuff from the 90's that I missed out on the first time around. Back then I was all into gangsta rap and techno-y stuff so I skipped out on a lot of the other stuff.

My favorite band of all time is and always will be Garbage that is not going to change. I used to be a music producer of sorts but I am so far removed from that world I really don't have any opinions other than that.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2013, 01:08:55 PM »
I do not recommend the new Avenged Sevenfold Album, Hail to the King. Easily their worst album. It's basically their attempt at making a "Black Album" (Metallica), there's even a song that sounds just like Enter Sandman (Shepherds of Fire), it's even the first track like Enter Sandman. It sucks. Avoid it.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Silenced

• A rather quiet thatguy
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2013, 07:44:04 PM »
I haven't listen to much Avenged Sevenfold, but I do have the whole Nightmare album. Judging by what people say about their past music, and combined with my personal opinion of the album, safe to say their quality is decreasing. Can't say my opinion is an accurate one.

Here's one of my new favorite metal albums, a good recommendation for people that like a good blend of diverse songs:

« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 07:46:16 PM by Silenced »

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2013, 03:10:12 AM »
Has anyone here ever listened to the Heathers? They are a group of Irish folk/rock singers I like them lately.

I have not, but it sounds like a band I might be interested in.

I'll try to check 'em out and report back.
Gouge away.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2014, 05:35:52 PM »
Ahhhhhhhhhh Yeah!

So psyched for this gig!

Gouge away.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2014, 02:43:25 PM »
Man! I'm crushing hard on these bands at the moment. Check 'em out.

Gouge away.