Author Topic: Sony's PSP Strikes in March  (Read 15075 times)

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
RE:Sony's PSP Strikes in March
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2005, 06:52:54 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
I thought the PSP and DS had about equal support with the DS having the GBA and the PSP having the PS1 history behind them?

with the difference that people dont have to rebuy their GBA games for their new portable

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
RE: Sony's PSP Strikes in March
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2005, 08:02:51 AM »
I don't think this has been mentioned here yet....

Does anyone think the increased system price in America is due to the small number of games sold thus far in Japan?  If Sony was planning on losing money on the system they were counting on making up for it with games sales.  Since sales have been sluggish thus far, perhaps Sony decided it couldn't afford to lose so much money on the system.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2005, 08:15:04 AM »
"Does anyone think the increased system price in America is due to the small number of games sold thus far in Japan?"

No, I think they're just planning to get away with the increased system price in America.

Look at the Ipod. Look at all the editors on GS and IGN who are planning to get one anyway. It's a form of geek pride here, a pride in buying useless gadgets that only increases with their price and almost solidifies into an illusion of actual value. Don't underestimate it.

What Sony has done is throw their system out there as a machine that is on a higher level than the DS. No respectable geek will buy a DS anymore.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2005, 09:24:53 AM »
manitor: I was referring to the PS1 overtaking the N64. The devs see this as a big fight with no clear winner yet so they work with whatever the manager thinks might win. Some believe the DS will win because the Gameboy always did, some believe the PSP will win because the PS1 did.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2005, 10:40:21 PM »

Originally posted by: Lord_die_seis
In a interesting note Age Of Empires (Its a Microsoft Games franchise) has been announced for the DS  and the publisher is Majesco.  So I suppose the DS can do RTS's good if done right.

I remember reading somewhere that DS is also getting a version of Zoo Tycoon (another Microsoft owned thingy), published by THQ.

Offline Avinash_Tyagi

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2005, 04:35:29 AM »

don't think this has been mentioned here yet....

Does anyone think the increased system price in America is due to the small number of games sold thus far in Japan? If Sony was planning on losing money on the system they were counting on making up for it with games sales. Since sales have been sluggish thus far, perhaps Sony decided it couldn't afford to lose so much money on the system.

Yeah I kind of mentioned this in one of my earlier posts on this topic.

People seem to be raving about the games on the PSP release list, forgetting that many of these games have sold horribly in Japan, so I wouldn't put too much hope in these games doing that well.

That's an acceptable strategy but there's no indication that that's what Nintendo is doing. Where are these bullets? It's February. The PSP launches in March. If Nintendo has some big guns ready to go we have to see them in the next few days or they just don't exist. If Nintendo had a list of major games set to release alongside the PSP launch then I would have more faith in them. But they don't. Warioware and Yoshi's Touch 'n' Go aren't going to cut it. There needs to be something major and now it's too late. If Nintendo planned on waiting until the PSP launch then they would have shown us some killer title a while ago.

Who says its too late?

Nintendo has been hinting at an online plan for a few months now, why wouldn't they wait until march to release the news of online.

And as for the games just stating that Mario Kart, Animal crossing Advance wars and others will have full online play at the same time will be more than enough.

The PSP launches on the 24th of March, its the 5th of February, that's a very, very long time left.

Offline Savior

• I want one too!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2005, 03:12:37 PM »

GS and IGN who are planning to get one anyway.

They were going to get one anyways since most already predicted the PSP would win even without the price hike..The Price is hurting alot more than its helping...  
The Savior Returns Late 2005