Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1537874 times)

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #4800 on: July 13, 2014, 08:20:03 AM »
Dear 'The Raid 2',

MY.GOODNESS. I've never yelled and winced with pain so much during a movie since that time I got my ass beat by my brothers while watching one. You are brutal, realistic, and oh so fun to watch. And that last fight scene....I applauded. I was watching by myself and I applauded.

Watching you again and again,
Hypotheliciously Meticulously Ridiculously
thanks for the new name hah
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 08:24:09 AM by Hypotheliciously »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #4801 on: July 14, 2014, 01:19:04 AM »
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - Go See This Right Now / 10
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #4802 on: July 14, 2014, 01:38:34 AM »
Or you could watch Battle for the Planet of the Apes again.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #4803 on: July 14, 2014, 02:57:07 AM »
Or you could watch Battle for the Planet of the Apes again.

Not really, because that movie is trash.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4804 on: July 14, 2014, 03:01:50 AM »
It is amazingly terrible, yes. To the extent that it's almost like that suggestion wasn't completely serious.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4805 on: July 14, 2014, 03:39:07 AM »
Dear 'The Raid 2',

MY.GOODNESS. I've never yelled and winced with pain so much during a movie since that time I got my ass beat by my brothers while watching one. You are brutal, realistic, and oh so fun to watch. And that last fight scene....I applauded. I was watching by myself and I applauded.

Watching you again and again,
Hypotheliciously Meticulously Ridiculously
thanks for the new name hah

I watched this in the cinema when - about 10 days prior to its UK release - and that final fight scene caused the entire room (about 350 people) to nearly erupt insane applause.

The Raid 2 makes all western movies look tame in comparison after that.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4806 on: July 16, 2014, 10:09:42 PM »
The Raid 2

I enjoyed it, but not as much as the first one. Some fight scenes, like in the car, just seem like action pauses when the camera leaves and as soon as the camera came back "ACTION!!" and things start up again.
Other scenes like hammer & bat are like they are obviously holding back, like they were taking turns and trying to give him a chance.

The opening fight in the stall though was pretty crazy, there were lots of other visually brutal scenes and the perfectly timed cutaways made them all them more brutal for making you use your imagination. The camera would move with the strike pulling the victim just out of frame at the moment of impact. You might have to watch to see what I mean if you don't get it already.

Overall the action is top notch, the movie is gory, brutal and all that.
A few details would break the suspension of disbelief, and some of that could have been fixed with slightly better editing.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4807 on: July 18, 2014, 06:01:07 AM »
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

7/10

Solid movie. Not as good as first one. Rise was instant classic, and easily the best film in entire series.

Ah well. Caesar was badass, what else do you need?

It's a pity there weren't more scenes with Maurice, he is my favourite character.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #4808 on: July 26, 2014, 04:35:48 PM »
Boyhood

If you didn't know, this movie takes place over 13 years as a boy ages from 5 to 18, filmed over 12 years with the same actors.  Here is the IMDB page for more info.

This movie was incredible to watch.  The kid really does grow up before your eyes over a span of 2 hours and 45 minutes.  It's amazing watching him age a full year at a time between scenes with all the things happening in his life.  The movie really has no central plot.  It just shows a kid going through life events: moving, making friends, girls, jobs, his mother dating, etc.

What was weird to me was that it seemed like every older male acted like a father figure to the kid.  Like everyone was his dad.  The scenes just kinda jump between life events, so it always feels like something is happening.  The characters really grow on you (because, yeah).  It's hard to describe the experience of watching this film.  Suffice it to say, this is why we go to the movies.

10/10
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #4809 on: July 26, 2014, 06:46:20 PM »
Boyhood

I have a love/hate relationship with Richard Linklater. Well, maybe hate is a strong word, but there are definitely elements of his films that make my eyes roll. I love his naturalistic style of directing, and admire the fact that he imbues his characters will real feeling and heart, but sometimes the words he puts in the mouths of his actors are downright pretentious. Take Boyhood for example, in which the following line is uttered,

"You know how everyone’s always saying seize the moment? I don’t know, I’m kind of thinking it’s the other way around, you know, like the moment seizes us.â€

While I love the 'Before' trilogy, I could point to any number of similarly bogus lines from those films which made my skin crawl . Maybe it's a question of upbringing, social class, or cultural difference, but the people in Linklater's films bear little resemblance to people in the real world (or rather my world).

I find it much easier to accept the preternatural when it's not trying to evoke realism. I have fewer issues, for instance, with a director like Wes Anderson because his films are so very stylised; while Linklater's films strive to render realistic portrayals of people at given times in their lives. It's for that reason, because Linklater does deal with things like relationships and feelings so deftly, that when his characters say something that feels unnatural or forced, it pulls me right out of the film.

That, however, is just a personal gripe. My only other issue with 'Boyhood' is that the 'boy' at the centre of the story wasn't a particularly interesting character. Like some of Linklater's protagonists he's passive; things happen to him, he experiences events, but takes little action in them. In some ways I guess that's a fairly realistic portrayal of many of us (myself included), but as a result I found myself gravitating towards the lives of the other characters in the film. In fact, by the end I was pretty much ready for Mason to go to college just so the story could move on to the lives of other characters, who were much more interesting.

Those issues aside though, 'Boyhood' is unlike any film I've ever seen. Even if you were to ignore the logistics of putting a film like this together, you can't help but be impressed by this director's devotion to his characters. I very much look forward to seeing this film again and I suspect that, as was the case with the 'Before' films, I will appreciate 'Boyhood' more with each subsequent viewing.
Gouge away.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #4810 on: July 29, 2014, 01:57:42 PM »
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

7/10

Solid movie. Not as good as first one. Rise was instant classic, and easily the best film in entire series.

Ah well. Caesar was badass, what else do you need?

It's a pity there weren't more scenes with Maurice, he is my favourite character.
I agree of all of this. Especially Maurice. He's the best.
The film could have been 10 to 15 minutes shorter. They. .. Really. ... Dragged ... Out ... A ... Lot ... Of ... Scenes ......
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #4811 on: August 03, 2014, 02:42:22 PM »
Sharknado 2: The Second One
Two impaled Rob Fords out of five.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #4812 on: August 03, 2014, 04:45:09 PM »
Sharknado 2 was definitely better than the first, but they tried a little too hard with the whole "we know it's a joke" theme. Still, pretty funny to see Matt Lauer and Al Roker throughout, especially at the end.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4813 on: August 03, 2014, 09:52:24 PM »
Day at the Movies August

Guardians of the Galaxy - Good movie. Lots of fun, very funny and some decent action. I would like to see more from the main villains here, but there always the sequel (July 28, 2017) ;)

Hercules - surprisingly better than I thought. I had not seen a single preview going in, but they play on the Man vs the Legend and the power of storytelling.
Really good action this.

Lucy - honestly, I feel asleep briefly during this one. Not because it was bad, but because I just ate and got too comfortable.
It was interesting and lots of visuals like Cosmos on crack, but I will have to wait for the DVD to see the whole thing.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4814 on: August 03, 2014, 10:54:11 PM »
Raid 2:

Underwhelming, didn't live up to expectations of the original. First one was much better, less talking stuff, more stabbing, kicking and punching.

The story of of the first move was super simple, raw, basic and great for it -- you have a building full of mooks, now GO!.. There is a reason why this template gets copied so much by Hollywood.

They did a great job establishing badass "mini-bosses" so that it would be so much more satisfying seeing them getting their asses kicked by main character.

Second one got too bogged down by "undercover cop" plot and spending time on establishing characters that they could instead spend by showing more fights.

There were still a few cool mini-bosses like hammer girl, bat dude and the dude in the kitchen. All had a solid fights.

But it's no comparison to the first one where fights like that were going on constantly.

Amazing Spider-man 2
Surprised that they DID do what they had to do. A little bit better than first movie. Okay fights. Electro plotline was stupid. Harry plotline was surprisingly good.

Overall: eh/10
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #4815 on: August 04, 2014, 12:40:07 AM »
Guardians: Enjoyed it for what it was (action space opera). My big gripe coming out of the theater was that all the aliens were humans with different colored skin. Gamora? Green human. Drax? Grey-and-red human. Ronan? Blue human with facepaint. Dewey Cox's wife? Orange human. The Collector's assistant? Pink human.

Karl explained to me that this is because the Celestials are basically the Xel'Naga, trying to create perfect humanoids on different planets for a millenia. So that at least kind of makes sense, but I would've liked that sentence-long explanation to have been spoken in the movie. Because it wasn't, I came away thinking they were just being lazy or uncreative. "This movie has a giant budget. Invest in some prosthetics," I was saying.

But it was really good. Bradley Cooper does a wonderful job as Rocket.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4816 on: August 04, 2014, 02:56:07 AM »
Guardians: Enjoyed it for what it was (action space opera). My big gripe coming out of the theater was that all the aliens were humans with different colored skin. Gamora? Green human. Drax? Grey-and-red human. Ronan? Blue human with facepaint. Dewey Cox's wife? Orange human. The Collector's assistant? Pink human.

Karl explained to me that this is because the Celestials are basically the Xel'Naga, trying to create perfect humanoids on different planets for a millenia. So that at least kind of makes sense, but I would've liked that sentence-long explanation to have been spoken in the movie. Because it wasn't, I came away thinking they were just being lazy or uncreative. "This movie has a giant budget. Invest in some prosthetics," I was saying.

But it was really good. Bradley Cooper does a wonderful job as Rocket.

This same point about humanoid aliens has been explained away in both the Stargate franchise (Ancients spread across the galaxy populating elsewhere, thus humanoids) and Star Trek (all races are humanoid because they all evolved from the same one, placed in different places).

I figured the "in-universe" reason would be the same.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4817 on: August 04, 2014, 03:18:31 AM »
It's always the same reasoning, because it's the only one that even remotely makes any sense.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4818 on: August 04, 2014, 05:25:51 PM »
Ok, I want to expand my thoughts on Guardians of the Galaxy.

Let's start with the positive.
Really good movie. It was fun, funny and emotional at times. It starts you off with an unexpected and emotional cold start, and I realize this because there were people still wandering around the theater like it was another preview that started.
Star-lord was more fun than funny, Drax was more funny than fun.
Groot had a lot of emotion for only being able to say a few words, which mostly consist of "I" "Am" & "Groot" and specifically in that order. There is some Groot merchandise missing from the shelves that I'm sure everyone would have bought had it been available. >THIS< but Groot. It's even from the 80's. Disney where you at?
Rocket was a star in this movie, this gun toting coon was no one to be messed with. He had good lines and voice acting was pretty spot on.
Gamora... is it bad that Zoe Saldana made me consider banging a green chick?... the red/pink ones looked pretty damn good too. LOL
But her and Nebula were pretty under used here. Neither of them seemed particularly deadly either, but at the same time Drax didn't really seem as powerful as you would imagine.

The one major issue that bothered me though out the movie, was the SFX during fight scene. Like when someone gets knocked into the wall 30 feet away, it goes from believeable CG to damn that looked cartoonish, or when Gamora had to make a big jump, and it looked like a CG character took over from a 90's animated cartoon. Suspension of disbelief was broken for that split second everytime something like that happened.

I really want to watch it again, because I feel like I might have missed a few things, thanks to the lady next to us breathing heavy like she was snoring, and then suddenly just laughing her ass off for 2-3 minutes straight with a giggly little laugh that almost got you to just laugh right along with her. It was a little distracting at time.
Alot of the fight scenes were a little lacking as well. They should have brought in the choreographers from Cap 2 to handle the action.

And i wouldn't really call this a SUPER hero movie, as the only person in this whole movie who displayed a little "super" was Ronan. But definitely a must see summer movie. I can see where the 3D would be great in this movie, like all the scenes shot out in space, and all the scenes that had opportunity for depth perception (Groots scenes), but I didn't pay the price of admission on that.

I would honestly say that I exposed myself to too much of this movie before seeing it, and while I still really enjoyed it, had I gone into fresh like the 17 minute preview, where we were dying from laughter and everything was new, I feel like I really would have enjoyed it even more.

I would have to rank this very close to Cap 2... maybe a very close 2nd if not tied. They are tonally very different movies, but together show that Marvel is on fire, and that bodes VERY well leading right into Age of Ultron.

This movie has set the August opening Record @ $94Million by beating out Bourne @ $69M. I think it's also the 3rd highest opener of the year right behind TF:AoE ($97.5/$100M) & Cap 2 ($96M?), and word of mouth on this is extremely high right now w/ a RT score of something like 92% after 190 reviews. Also something close to 44% of the viewers were women and 55% of all viewers were over 26yrs old, so this bodes well for Marvel taking the risk and probably getting even a little more riskier going forward.

« Reply #4819 on: August 04, 2014, 05:37:35 PM »
Decided to binge on Godzilla/giant monster movies on Netflix, watched all the Toho ones they had. I been torn between those movies for so long, when I was a kid I loved the Power Rangers and always wanted to like Godzilla but I am from an ultra conservative family who make fun of everything Japanese still and gave me more than enough **** just for liking Nintendo when they were all into Xbox and PC and am still the only one who ever got into any anime. So with that said I sure wish I had seen these when I was a kid and might have appreciated them more. I can't believe I sat through so many of them it was almost torture but I really wanted to do it. I tried to like them, I tried to be forgiving but they were just too late. It was like when I tried to watch Dragon Ball Z a few years ago after missing out when it was new, I KNOW I should have liked it when it was the in thing but again racist/fascist parents prevented me from enjoying something I otherwise might have.

My parents have mellowed out a lot since Obama was elected and mom got into Doctor Who dads less vocal about his anti-anything un-American and I have made much progress on my own since then (rest of family are big old rednecks no hope there) but I still think I would have enjoyed these as a kid. Ifelt really stupid for watching them today. I had to watch some Double Dragon to get them out of my system and that was pretty painful to revisit too.

I kind of liked the concept way more than the execution. I thought most of them were just pretty damn silly. I understand cultural differences come into play, I studied Japanese in college so I get their culture much better than I did before but it was still very foreign to me for the most part. Over all I rate them slightly above the sci-fi that was coming out of America in those days but that's not saying much.Main reason for binging now was due to hearing good things about the one in theaters, my dad called me up and asked if I wanted to see it with him, so he has come around some. He took me to see the one from 1998 but I like to pretend that movie never happened.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 05:40:40 PM by marvel_moviefan_2012 »
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #4820 on: August 04, 2014, 06:49:00 PM »
Transformer: Age of Extinction

It had Optimus Prime riding Grimlock into battle cutting fools up left and right.

8/10
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Dan Laser

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #4821 on: August 04, 2014, 06:52:31 PM »
More words on Guardians of the Galaxy!

I liked it. It was like a Star Wars that didn't take itself so seriously. While I'm glad the movie didn’t go crazy with the history lessons, silly jargon or explaining everything, I do wish it had better explained some other things, or elaborated on them. Actually, maybe if they had shown us, rather than told, it may have been more convincing and interesting.

For one example, they kept telling us how dangerous Ronan and the top big baddie was, but we really weren’t shown anything to convince us. Was Thanos really even necessary? They kept saying how horrible and evil he was, but all we saw of him was him sitting on his asteroid, grinning. I don’t care if the intent is to build him up for another movie. I’m watching Guardians of the Galaxy! Why is he important to the movie I am watching now? I agree with BnM that Gamora and blue cyborg girl also felt under used for being talked up as very tough assassins. There were a few things like that that seemed kind of neglected. Little bits of exposition that were never really expanded upon, or brief so that they were forgotten. I wouldn't be able to repeat the story of the creation of the galaxy or the magical power crystal, or why it was on that planet...

I also found it hard to believe that Peter and the others trusted Gamora so easily. Even as viewers, we had been shown nothing to believe she would betray the bad guys so easily.

Sorry I'll stop, I’m overthinking things :P:  They're mostly minor little things that bothered me. It was a fun family summer sci-fi movie. I did like it, just didn’t love it. It is worth seeing in theatres however. I liked Guardians much more than Thor 2, but less than Captain America 2. Edge of Tomorrow is still my favourite summer movie, tho. It’s great that Disney is adapting these lesser known and non-super hero comic series. I really really hope parents take their kids to Guardians instead of Transformers!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4822 on: August 04, 2014, 07:23:47 PM »
Didn't Gamora say or someone say about her that Thanos killed her family and then raised her as one of his own, genetically modified her into a killing machine. And then when she realizes what Thanos and Ronan's plan were, she felt sympathetic, and then wanted to use the item to get a payday large enough to just disappear and live a different life?

But she really didn't seem as dangerous as she was talked up to be. They should have had a scene where she was surrounded by goons with weapons and she only had a tiny sharp object, and just as she makes the first move, the camera pans to a gapping jaw wide eyed rocket & quill as we watch them watch her take out 7-8 armed dudes with little more than a chopstick. Then we see the aftermath, and Quill makes a joke about how he was just about to jump in and help her out, and rocket says "yeah, I just needed to put a new clip in my gun first....."

There should have been an equivalent scene for Nebula where maybe when they were infiltrating the Kyln prison, Nebula had to make it down a hallway of armed guards shooting, and she was able to acrobatically dodge her way up to and disable all 6 guards at the end of the hall, losing 2 of her "helper" goons that followed her w/o taking any actual damage herself.
That would have showed some skill on both their parts and a reason as to why they are not to be fucked with.

wouldn't have added more than 2-3 minutes to the movie, and would have made 2 pretty good scenes IMO.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4823 on: August 04, 2014, 08:48:08 PM »
Gamora did Cut off Groots Arms.

Though I think some of what your describing would have crossed the line on where they wanted to violence to go.  In fact the part part where Drax cut 2 guards open was the only place where there was any real blood and I'm sure that it was considered to essential by Gunn to cut.

This will be very interesting to see the deleted scenes.  I have the sneaking suspicion that there is probably a good hour of them easily.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

« Reply #4824 on: August 07, 2014, 05:05:22 PM »
Well I am planning on going to the movies this weekend, will have to see what is playing but this is the first weekend I have had off forever so movies are a must.
Trying to be a better person, honest.