Author Topic: If you don't own a Wii U now, will Mario Kart 8 influence you to purchase one?  (Read 14551 times)

and an HDTV is actually a fraction of what it cost then too. Even still compared to it's competition it is still not in the same price range as other tech.

Also I am pretty sure Minimum wage is higher too, so there is that also.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Inflation? What's that? I've never heard of such a concept.

It;'s not though do some homework before you speak. Inflation does not work that way it never has not with consumer electornics, prices FALL over time which is why televisions and blu ray players are affordable now when they launched only the rich could afford them.

Right, the same tech gets cheaper over time. That's not what's going on here. This is more advanced technology, which doesn't necessarily correspond to the previous stuff.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Wrong, when Blu Ray came out it was priced exactly where DVD was priced when it came out, same with Laser Disc, there is a precedent set that is broken, When Sony did it everyone **** upon them but when Nintendo does it oh well that's ok.

A brand new more powerful and state of the art computer costs a fraction of what the same computer cost a decade ago.

Every since the beginning of video games the market has had an acceptable price point for consoles, the software has fluctuated but the mainstream consoles have all been in a very similar place. Now with Xbox and PS people are willing to pay more because you GET more, all other stuff aside you still get a Blu Ray player, a 3D capable one at that, built in.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 10:19:51 PM by marvel_moviefan_2012 »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
You're absolutely right, no one criticized Nintendo at all when they launched the 3DS at $250.

J.P. Corbran

That isn't what I was saying. Anyways even still I was mostly talking about the Wii U. As far as I am concerned I said 3DS is over priced, that is my perception that is not going to change because I have a precedent to follow. I am well aware it was over priced at launch I am saying to me it is still there.

anyways I answered the topic so have fun.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
A standard 3DS right now is $160. I haven't done the calculations, but I'm fairly certain if you were to account for inflation that's actually less money than the DS launch price of $150.

FWIW, $150 in 2004 translates to $183.06 in 2013 (the last year data is available for).
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

And minimum wage was 5.15 and hour and full time employment was 40 hours a week. Now full time employment is 32 hours a week and min wage is 7.25 so how does that factor in?

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
Pretty sure full time is still 40 hours.

not according to the new labor laws.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
I don't know that minimum wage would be the best way to judge it, for several different reasons, a lot of which verge into politics and thus aren't something we're going to go into here.

Either way, even without the adjustment, $10 isn't a huge difference. And given how well the system has been saying, it would seem the public agrees.

J.P. Corbran

that is why I said, repeatedly that is how I view it, not the public at large, which I think is a miscalcuation considering 3DS has not reached DS sales yet.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
I would be absolutely shocked if any game system gets even close to the DS' level of sales ever again. A big part of that system's success is being in the right place at the right time, and isn't something they had any real chance of doing again.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
A 2015 Honda Accord is $20,000 but a 2004 Honda Accord is 8,000, therefore the 2014 Honda Accord is overpriced.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Nemo

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
Anyway... back on topic.

I wouldn't buy a Wii U for Mario Kart 8.

But I already own a Wii U. I was kind of on the fence about getting it.

The negatives about Mario Kart 8 is that it's pretty much the same Mario Kart yet again... for $60.

The positives are that I haven't really played a new Mario Kart since Double Dash (I got Mario Kart DS but playing more than a few races hurt my hands for some reason, so I hardly played it. I skipped "Wii" and "7.") so it's actually been a long time since I've experienced a new Mario Kart. I do have a few friends that would enjoy playing it with me. And, the big positive: another free game. I never got New Super Mario U. Plus, it looks good (shiny!).
-the Game Sprite Archives-
http://www.gsarchives.net

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
The Affordable Care Act defines full time as 30 hours.  Previously (in the US) this was up to the employers.

But yeah, it's hard to see MK8 as a system seller.  The "Killer App" concept is pretty dead, unless we just change the meaning to "must own game".
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
The Affordable Care Act defines full time as 30 hours.  Previously (in the US) this was up to the employers.

But yeah, it's hard to see MK8 as a system seller.  The "Killer App" concept is pretty dead, unless we just change the meaning to "must own game".

Then I guess every place I have worked at so far hasn't gotten the memo for this yet.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
I believe ACA just went active late last year.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Well, that law was passed in 2010, and the relevant piece doesn't go into effect until 2015.  Even so, I think the law uses the term "full time equivalent".  The Fair Labor Standard Act (FLSA) doesn't define full vs part time, so it's still up to your employer.  This is after some follow research from my earlier response.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
If you don't own a Wii U now, will working full time influence you to purchase one?
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Part of the ACA is that all employees that work 30 hours have to get Mario Kart 8 from their employer for free. Hobby Lobby has been fighting this in the courts.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
If you don't own a Wii U now, will you purchase one now that ACA has given a copy of Mario Kart 8 for free*?

*only if you work a minimum of 30hrs per week as a W2 employee of a ACA approved employer

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
I'm selling my Wii U just so I can re- purchase and comply with government regulations.

Thanks Obama!

Offline rlse9

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
I'm pretty sure the ACA forces retailers to only sell the 32 GB model and not the 8 GB model...

If I didn't own a Wii U I don't know that Mario Kart 8 itself would push me over the edge but the limited time offer of a free game with purchase over the next couple months would have made it tempting.  But since I already have a Wii U I got in on the Kmart pre-order deal before the free game deal was announced, making it pretty much the best deal on a Nintendo game ever.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
Hell no!
 Super smash bros maybe!
Made you look ****.