Author Topic: Retro Studios Has Started Work on Mystery Project  (Read 14619 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Retro Studios has Started Work on Mystery Project
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2014, 12:18:36 PM »
I've only played the first three stages of Tropical Freeze, but I hope Retro Studios got all the Donkey Kong out of their system. Still, I won't pass up a good game just because it's not exactly to my specifications. I wouldn't mind seeing them take a shot at Mario or Zelda. Something completely original would be ideal though the expectations for such a game would be unfairly high even for the already unfair expectations routinely placed on them. When everything they do from a basic interview to hiring someone new results in hype-get, there's no way they can please some people.

Offline Leo13

• Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2014, 12:34:38 PM »
Why not a 3D Donkey Kong? I never played Donkey Kong 64, but I heard it was really fun.

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2014, 01:32:25 PM »
Clearly it is a Star Tropics reboot, set 20 years after Star Tropics 2 that is somewhere between Metroid Prime and Zelda in game design with some Uncharted presentation sprinkled in. Mike Jones, all grown up, is a researcher looking for evidence of alien life (who he fought, but no one believes him after all  this time). He gets abducted, brought to another planet, and must make an escape.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2014, 03:02:03 PM »
Clearly it is a Star Tropics reboot, set 20 years after Star Tropics 2 that is somewhere between Metroid Prime and Zelda in game design with some Uncharted presentation sprinkled in. Mike Jones, all grown up, is a researcher looking for evidence of alien life (who he fought, but no one believes him after all  this time). He gets abducted, brought to another planet, and must make an escape.

That's more inline with what we were expecting when the big reveal of the secret project turned out to be a Donkey Kong Country sequel.

Offline Nemo

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2014, 02:56:42 AM »
Earthbound MMO?
-the Game Sprite Archives-
http://www.gsarchives.net

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2014, 05:02:42 AM »
Donkey Kong Racing.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2014, 09:18:11 AM »
You sure? This isn't Naughty Dog we're dealing with.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2014, 09:33:06 AM »
Excite Bots Trick Racing 2
I be game for that ...
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
  • Score: -10
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2014, 10:19:09 AM »
*fingers crossed* Please let it be Starfox...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2014, 12:03:34 PM »
I'm hoping Platinum gets duties on Starfox, Retro can assist, like they did on MK7. Platinum really wanted to make that game, so I say let them have it.

Retro needs an explorative 3D game though. like the StarTropics reboot/sequel that keeps getting brought up. Maybe another Metroid game, or something completely original. (Zelda maybe?)

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2014, 02:46:30 PM »
A pokemon platformer. Just because.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2014, 04:39:32 PM »
Donkey Kong Country Trading Cards!
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2014, 07:12:09 PM »
Maybe it's a Scooby Doo game.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if it's another Donkey Kong game, they seem to come in threes.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2014, 02:20:36 AM »
It'll be Donkey Kong *and* Metroid in a huge crossover title.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Br26

• OH REALLY
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2014, 04:09:38 AM »
Urban Champion 2

Offline jarodea

• A man of the world, so suave and discrete, he trips over the women piled up at his feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2014, 09:17:49 PM »
Well, given how Iwata has been using Retro I would say they are working on Donkey Land Returns for the 3DS while the second team is laying the ground work for Donkey Kong Country Returns 3: Kranky Kongs Krazy Kapers in Kremling Kingdom on the Wii U (or Wii V [as James would say]).

Its hard to be excited about Retro's Next project.  Fool me ones shame on you, Fools me twice shame on me.

Ditto.  I won't ignore the announcement, but Retro has a ways to go re-earn my interest and hype enthusiasm.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2014, 12:17:03 PM »
I'm going to assume something to do with Donkey Kong until I get an announcement from Nintendo that says otherwise.  I will not get hyped up... yet will still find myself disappointed if it does turn out to be DK.  That's the problem with hype, you can't actually control it.  I want something cool so in the back of my mind is a little voice telling me "this could be something super cool!"  Yeah it probably won't be but it COULD be and that tiny possibility screws up any attempt to keep your expectations in check.  It's why every time I buy a lottery ticket I tell myself I have no chance of winning and yet still get pissed off when I lose.

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
Re: Retro Studios Has Started Work on Mystery Project
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2014, 03:34:46 PM »
I'm more or less fine with the Donkey Kong games, and, in general, I'm glad they brought the series back.  I'm also ready for them to move on, but I can't help but feel like we'll get a third Kong game from them at some point.  I would hope that they would get to work on something entirely new, but that probably won't be the case.

My random prediction will be something from the F-Zero franchise.

It is sort of difficult to get excited about this announcement when you realize that it might take a least another year to hear something concrete about it. 
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Mythtendo

• My rims never spin, to the contrary, you'll find that they're quite stationary
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2014, 02:21:46 PM »
As far as it being some dumb-ass party game crap, I don't think Nintendo's willing to waste one of their biggest assets on another throwaway annual Mario Party installment. Well, certainly not stupid enough to, anyway.

There have been 2 Mario Party games in the last 8 yeas, it hasn't been an annual franchise since 2005. And the last Mario Party game (Mario Party 9 in 2012) got good reviews.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: Retro Studios Has Started Work on Mystery Project
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2017, 05:13:44 AM »
Who knows what they're working on now?

There is a job for AI programmer. Usually, shooting games and strategy games are the only ones to need a dedicated AI programmer.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 05:17:05 AM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post