Author Topic: Adventure Games vs. RPG Games -- Is there a difference?  (Read 30976 times)

Adventure Games vs. RPG Games -- Is there a difference?
« on: May 07, 2003, 04:00:21 PM »
A friend of mine and I had a pretty lengthy arguement about adventure games and RPG games -- mainly, whether or not they were one and the same genre.

(This is summerized, just to let you know.)
The arguement was whether or not Dragon Warrior for the NES was an adventure game or an RPG.  My friend stated that it had the same game mechanics as an RPG, except for the fact that you only had one character, which didn't make it not an RPG.  He then followed up my stating that for any game to be an RPG you need a quest and need to take the role of the character personally.
I countered his arguement, stating that Dragon Warrior was, indeed, an adventure game because unlike an RPG, adventure games do not have the deep character development that you get from RPGs.  I also stated that RPGs usually have more than one character for you to work with.

Well, we didn't really get to a conclusion with our arguement, due to the fact that it was broken up by a group of other people who were going crazy, so we never finished.  So, I bring it here.

Can you find a difference between an Adventure game and an RPG?  Is there a difference??
Gaming is more than entertainment, it's a lifestyle.

USA Allied Wallpaper

Offline Jdub03

• Bert Stanton speaking.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2003, 04:35:22 PM »
I found a site that tries to explain what exactly an RPG is.  I havent found adventure yet but thats common knowledge really.  Ill keep looking though.  The website address is http://www.rpgfan.com/editorials/old/1998/0007.html.  Take a look it's very interesting.

This gives some definitions for other genres too.  ( Didnt read the whole page)
How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline enigma487

• Scalar, The Destructor!
    • View Profile
RE: Adventure Games vs. RPG Games -- Is there a difference?
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2003, 06:17:18 PM »
i've always considered something an RPG if the characters had 'levels'  like the standard Final Fantasy.  games like Zelda (any of them) are adventure games.  where you just collect things, not actually gain levels.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2003, 07:31:32 PM »
Characteristics of an RPG:

Character stats and levelling up
Option-based combat system
Seperate screen for fighting
Story-based gameplay
Will usually feature multiple characters

Characteristics of an Adventure:

Real-time combat
No levels or character stats
One massive world for exploration
Often will have puzzles that require a great deal of thought
Will usually feature a single character

Basically, the perfect example of an RPG is Dragon Quest/Final Fantasy, and the perfect example of an Adventure is Zelda/Metroid.

Some games do tend to fit into both categories, such as Seiken Densetsu, but most of the time the game will be an obvious match with either category.  The game doesn't need to fit ALL the categories, but the main difference is that an RPG will ALWAYS have some sort of level up system in place, while an Adventure will have the character remain the same throughout.  (Although the adventuring character might gain upgrades).
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2003, 08:50:49 PM »
i call some action games action rpgs if they are similar to zelda, however it is pretty clear how the traditional rpg is.
Action games just have action
but action rpgs have character upgrades...and stroy(by that definition you could put metroid into that and you might as well)
tradtional rpgs are like how grey ninja mentioned. Now the term rpg really has no meaning. It means role playing game, however popular use of the term make it so rpg is a word rather then an acronym.

we'll just say that the rpg genre by meanign of the word is split into several sub genres. Each taking features from traditional rpgs and doing soemthing else. Like Strategy Rpgs for example. You have stats, parties, but you don't rome the world so freely and for the most part your either in a store or in a big battle....shining force...fire emblem...drool

NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2003, 10:12:19 PM »
Personally, I consider an action RPG to be a variant of an RPG, but without the menu driven combat.  Seiken Densetsu might fit into this category nicely, as might Tales of Phantasia.

Strategy RPGs can be seen from a mile away.  They are obvious and shouldn't need defining.

PC RPGs are different in that they are just plain weird (from a Japanese perspective).  They usually don't have a cohesive storyline, and instead rely on building up your character to be a god rather than advancing to see what happens next.

Offline GoldShadow1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2003, 01:46:36 PM »
RPG's are actually not all that defined - generally, I just think of RPG's as games where you can level up somehow.  The "role-playing" part of the name is pretty vague - you're not role-playing in Final Fantasy any more than you are when you watch a movie.  That's not necessarily bad, just different.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2003, 01:57:29 PM »
"I countered his arguement, stating that Dragon Warrior was, indeed, an adventure game because unlike an RPG, adventure games do not have the deep character development that you get from RPGs. I also stated that RPGs usually have more than one character for you to work with."

That's a pretty lame arguement since Dragon Warrior is widely considered the first console RPG and the concepts of a party of characters and deep character development didn't exist in RPGs yet.  I believe Final Fantasy debuted the concept of a party and character development didn't really become common until 16 bit RPGs.  Using your agruement Final Fantasy I isn't an RPG but all the other Final Fantasy games are which doesn't make much sense.

My definition of an RPG is any game where the fighting is dependant on selecting actions from a menu instead of simply pressing a button and every character has various stats that increase and decrease as the game moves on.  Adventure games are a similar idea except they don't have stats and every action is in real time.  There are some oddballs like Secret of Mana that combine aspects of both so I guess those would be hybrids.  The stats are what really determine things.

Anyway regardless of how you look at it GAMEPLAY is what seperates games into genres so anything to do with storyline or character development or anything else that has nothing to do with how a game plays doesn't make a difference.  If story made a difference then games like Eternal Darkness and Metal Gear Solid would be considered RPGs and I don't think anyone thinks that.

Edit: I've just realized that with my definition Advance Wars could be considered on RPG so I've just thought of something else that's important.  An RPG also has to have a continuous world instead of stages.  Therefore something like most strategy games that have stages and missions that you beat don't qualify.  Of course it's pretty weird for any of us to really care.  The best games don't really fit into genres anyway.

Offline Jdub03

• Bert Stanton speaking.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2003, 12:35:31 PM »
So then what would the new final fantasy game for gamecube be considered to be?  The combat system is heavily action based.  Is it an action game or RPG...Or better yet Action/RPG.  That never sounds right to me.
How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2003, 02:39:16 PM »
It's like Seiken Densetsu.  Between worlds.  I would call it an Action RPG.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2003, 03:26:45 AM »
RPG requires stats which you can level up and build upon. That doesn't include weapon upgrades or items. Zelda does not have stats building (simply more arrows, life, magic, etc.). Dragon Warrior has stats, similar to the traditional pen and paper RPGs. It doesn't have to be turn based, but your character must be customizeable and statistical.

Offline Jdub03

• Bert Stanton speaking.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2003, 09:51:40 AM »
Yeah I'd have to say the two main points an RPG must have to be dubbed "RPG" Is Stats/Experiance points and character upgrade. The others being minor parts of it but not the defining characteristics of an rpg.