Author Topic: Nintendo is No#1...  (Read 19985 times)

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Nintendo is No#1...
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2003, 01:19:15 PM »
Here's more examples of this kind of logic.

Since I stabbed someone, and blood came out of the wound, I think it's possible that stabbing someone creates blood.

Since I see clouds in the sky every day, but not at night, I assume that light creates clouds.

Since I cannot see colors at night, I assume they don't exist

Seriously, what is the relation with the observation that Rare has historically always developed for the console with the best graphics?  It's crappy logic, any way you want to look at it.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Nintendo is No#1...
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2003, 03:26:17 PM »
Watch out! Grey Ninja is quoting strange, confusing sentences that force the brain to tick! =)

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
Nintendo is No#1...
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2003, 03:45:20 PM »

and was it worth it??? ...no.......

Oh, thank you for informing me that your opinion is a fact, i will now listen to everything you say. Starfox Adventures, IN MY OPINION, is an excellent game, one of the best this gen.

Offline MorningStar

• View Profile
Nintendo is No#1...
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2003, 04:06:14 PM »
In my opinion, as long as the game isn't a port from the PSX, N64, SNES, etc. the game will look fine. I mean sure, there are a lot of games that look bad but seriously...were they unplayable?

Offline JoeSmashBro

• View Profile
Nintendo is No#1...
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2003, 04:54:28 PM »

Oh, thank you for informing me that your opinion is a fact

You're welcome.
-Joe
"If the guests give you their coats, hang them in the closet!"
AIM: WhatJoeSays

Offline ink

• View Profile
Nintendo is No#1...
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2003, 06:22:53 PM »

Originally posted by: Grey Ninja
*sigh*.  Give it up.  I have been saying this stuff for well over a year now.  The problem is that people read the specs as being:  Higher numbers = more powerful.  Being that I am a recognized Nintendo fan, as most of us here are, nobody pays attention to us.  Yes we all know that the GameCube stands eye to eye with the Xbox in terms of graphics, but the problem is the same as the "kiddie" argument against GameCube.  There's just no way to fight myths that are so far ingrained in people's skulls.  It's really sad.

Hmmm, I remember saying the same thing about the PSX to N64 fanboys back in the day; but, hey, 64bits is better than 32bits, right?  
The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
Nintendo is No#1...
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2003, 06:58:29 PM »
PSX to N64 is a very different case.  The PSX hardware wasn't really designed with 3D graphics in mind, while the N64 was built from the ground up to do 3D graphics.  Everything about the PSX hardware was inferior in power to the N64.  The reason the PSX won is because of it's optical media, and relatively easy programming.  The N64 is still known as the Mt. Everest of coding, but some say the PS2 has it beat in that department....

Anyways, my point is that the Xbox touts higher specs than the GameCube, but the amount of power that can be actually used is FAR less than those specs would indicate.  The GameCube exceeds it in power in some areas, and makes up for it's shortcomings in other areas through its incredible efficiency.

Most gamers will tell you the Xbox is better because it has higher numbers behind its name.

Most hardware experts will say that it's often too close to tell, and it's hard to pick a clear winner because Nintendo is so secretive about their hardware.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline theaveng

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
Nintendo is No#1...
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2003, 02:47:01 AM »
LOUSY SUBJECT TITLE.  Thanks for wasting my time.  Next time, use the subject to describe what the hell you're talking about, so we'll know not to click it.

Offline Nile Boogie

• that is why you fail
    • View Profile
Nintendo is No#1...
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2003, 05:09:07 AM »

Originally posted by: theaveng
LOUSY SUBJECT TITLE.  Thanks for wasting my time.  Next time, use the subject to describe what the hell you're talking about, so we'll know not to click it.

Oh please...

Nile Boogie is...

0699-9217-4212-6889

Philadelphia Penn, 19130

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Nintendo is No#1...
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2003, 05:19:51 AM »
Annoying subject title, but it cought your attention, which was it's only goal. In terms of graphics, If I was completely and totally insane, I could make a PSX game look nearly as good as some current generation games if I spent years studying different algorythms to turn out just a little more juice from the system. Since consoles never last that long it is impracticle to do. As it is gamecube will very very slowly lag behind xbox at the end of the generation, but by that time both consoles will be completely obsolete in terms of hardware. At this point in time they are basically the same and thats all that matters. But the future will be different I am sure.

Offline Nile Boogie

• that is why you fail
    • View Profile
Nintendo is No#1...
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2003, 05:46:22 AM »

Originally posted by: manunited4eva22
In terms of graphics, If I was completely and totally insane, I could make a PSX game look nearly as good as some current generation games if I spent years studying different algorythms to turn out just a little more juice from the system.

Really?
Nile Boogie is...

0699-9217-4212-6889

Philadelphia Penn, 19130

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Nintendo is No#1...
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2003, 06:03:40 AM »
Note: some games

Offline WesDawg

• View Profile
Nintendo is No#1...
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2003, 06:20:28 AM »
I think Nintendo missed the boat when they were releasing GC. MS sent out tons of ads claiming they had the most powerful system ever. Nintendo simply should have done the same thing. Who knows if its exactly true, but it gets people talking. Jeesh, I even saw a Splinter Cell game the other day that said, "Game of the Year" on it. I know some dumb magazine probably gave it that award, but its still deceiving to people.

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
Nintendo is No#1...
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2003, 12:28:30 PM »
I have a couple things to say here.  First off:

Jeesh, I even saw a Splinter Cell game the other day that said, "Game of the Year" on it. I know some dumb magazine probably gave it that award, but its still deceiving to people.

Ok, maybe Splinter Cell isn't Game of the Year material.  But it is an excellent game, definitely worthy of notice.
And Second:

Anyways, my point is that the Xbox touts higher specs than the GameCube, but the amount of power that can be actually used is FAR less than those specs would indicate.

Very, very true, many people do not realize this statement, or refuse to believe it.  And that is not just because developers refuse to put everything they can into the game.  It's that when most hardware companies put out a list of specifications, they will put the absolute maximum that can be achieved.  For example, many games will NOT and cannot reach the "full" potentials of the system, simply because it's impossible.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline Gamer Donkey

• View Profile
Nintendo is No#1...
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2003, 12:45:41 PM »
The GC is said to be able to run twice the textures (8, I think) of the Xbox, has any game actually done that so far? And does it make much of a difference.

Sorry to change the subject with a rather dumb tech question.
"Heh, i just saw a petition somewhere for Halo to come to PS2. Hey look a green donkey!"

-Mario (Just found it interesting...)

The Gaming Donkey has returned.

Offline Frostie

• View Profile
Nintendo is No#1...
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2003, 01:52:11 PM »
I would like to say that graphics are not the most important aspect of a game.

I hated SFA.

Sure it looked real nice, but all it did was made me want Wind Waker more.  Combat is flashy, but repitive and boring.  And there wasn't one orginal idea in the whole damn game.  Even the 'finding a new item cutscene' was ripped from Zelda.

On that note, Gamecube can stand toe to toe with the xbox when programmed properly.
Move along.  Nothing to see here.

Offline oSiRiS

• View Profile
Nintendo is No#1...
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2003, 04:31:36 PM »
 We will never see Doom3 on Xbox. My computer can't even run D3, and Xbox is significantly inferior to my PC.
I am the grammar troll.

Offline RHSGCN

• View Profile
Nintendo is No#1...
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2003, 04:38:23 PM »
i would like to say that i never had SFA, but it looks good. SWRL2 is probably one of the best looking games of our time. but do graphics really matter? 'cause if they do, why have so many people buy animal crossing?? that game could probably be played on a N64, not to talk bad on Nintendo, but they could have really improved that game on the graphical end. but anyway. that game looks terrible sometimes. but do people really care? not really. by now, all i, and what most people should care about is gameplay.. i dont give a $$$$ about graphics. as long as they arent like extremely terrible like an early-mid 90's arcade (formula F-1?) games.

see what im getting at?
--------------------
AC Info
town= Redmond
name= Scott

Offline Kai

• View Profile
Nintendo is No#1...
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2003, 07:51:08 PM »

Originally posted by: Clonester
I'm sure that the nice graphics from Rare is one of the biggest reasons why Rare takes so much time to develop many of their games.

We will see because...from all accounts the production cycle they have for their games has been dramatically shortened.

But, on the other hand, they reportedly are concentrating on one or two titles, and their stuff for the GBA has been put aside for the short term.

Offline RahXephon

• View Profile
Nintendo is No#1...
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2003, 08:00:53 PM »
Amen to that RHSGCN.  You hit the nail on the head when you mention animal crossing, which my girl friend has taken form me and has polietly informed me that "This is my game."  All that really matters is is the game is fun.  Why else by any game in the world.  We don't buy games cause the taste good, we don't by the to show our love for shiny discs.  it is completely and 100% to have fun.  I don't know how many of you have read Aristotle, but he works out a very ingenious and brilliant theorem that proves EVERYTHING we do is to be happy.  This works through a cause and affect type situation. like this:

We work to get money.
some of that money goes to games.
we play these games because they are fun.
we have fun because it makes us happy.

Why is this important.  Because NINTENDO is the company who knows how to make games that are fun.  If that section was missing in the formula, it owuld be incomplete and lead us strivng to complete it.  Nintendo thankfully has taken away that strive.
Fry's Grandma in the past-"Killed., In an atomic Blast.... No sir I don't take much comfort in the fact the trigger function worked perfectly."
Fry-"There there, if it makes you feel any better, his body was vaporized, so there's no chance of him coming back as a zombie."
Fry's Grandma-"I'm no

Offline Nile Boogie

• that is why you fail
    • View Profile
Nintendo is No#1...
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2003, 08:17:54 PM »
I'm not a graphics slut by any means.  I brought up this topic for 2 reasons. One, because I was curious to see if others shared my opinion about StarFox Adventures being the prettiest game yet.  And 2, I thought it would be good for us, as Nintendo fans, to be very happy at what our little purple er, indigo / black / platinum / spice box was capable of.  GameCube: The little 'box' that could.  
Nile Boogie is...

0699-9217-4212-6889

Philadelphia Penn, 19130