Author Topic: would a DS cartridge survive a trip through the washing machine?  (Read 6076 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
My mom gave me a copy of Pokemon Pearl that she found in a washer at the Laundromat my parents own. Would it still be playable? My DS went missing a long time ago and I never replaced it.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
Re: would a DS cartridge survive a trip through the washing machine?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 07:19:04 PM »
Most likely.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 07:23:23 PM »
From my experience, Nintendo builds games and systems to practically sustain the impact of a Tank rolling over them.  I think you're probably ok with one run through the washing machine.  Now, I don't know if a DS cartridge could survive more than one, but you're probably fine.  If you can, borrow someone's DS to try it out.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 08:00:34 PM »
To give you an idea of how well Nintendo makes their products, check out this Gameboy which survived the Gulf War and lived to tell about it: http://gadgethim.com/bombed-out-game-boy/

To be fair though, I doubt a DS or 3DS would have survived that same level of punishment though... Stuff 20 years ago was just a lot more durable in general than stuff built today.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 08:02:15 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 09:08:06 PM »
I don't know anyone who has a DS... Maybe it should be given away on this message board.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 09:11:57 PM »
I don't know if it's any help, but my Planet Puzzle League was in a garbage bag full of cans and loose strands of Pepsi for I don't know how long, and it still boots.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 09:57:08 PM »
Just make sure you dry it off completely before putting it in the console. It'll more than likely be fine, you can always soak it in alcohol for a little while and then let it dry for a couple days. I would actually recommend that, but the sooner you do it, the better.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 10:48:14 PM »
To give you an idea of how well Nintendo makes their products, check out this Gameboy which survived the Gulf War and lived to tell about it: http://gadgethim.com/bombed-out-game-boy/

To be fair though, I doubt a DS or 3DS would have survived that same level of punishment though... Stuff 20 years ago was just a lot more durable in general than stuff built today.
And yet my GB Screen was dieing whe the GBC came out...
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.