Author Topic: IMPRESSIONS: Mario Kart Wii  (Read 4290 times)

Offline Yoshidious

• Silent Partner
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
IMPRESSIONS: Mario Kart Wii
« on: April 14, 2008, 08:38:32 AM »
It's out in Europe, and we've hit the track running with our retail copy. Check out our early impressions of the new controls, tracks, vehicles, and more.
 http://nintendoworldreport.com/impressionsArt.cfm?artid=15749

European gamers starved of multiplayer anarchy in the absence of Super Smash Bros. Brawl finally got their fix last week in the shape of Mario Kart Wii. Having sat down with the game over the weekend, I've toured all the game's tracks and modes and come away mostly pleased with the results of Nintendo's labours, though not without coming across a few notable drawbacks.    

Upon start-up there are nine characters to choose from. The drivers of Mario Kart Wii break down into three weight categories (light, medium, and heavy), determining which set of karts/bikes they have access to. At first, each set of vehicles corresponding to the weight classes contains three karts and three bikes, but as you achieve certain goals, more machines will be unlocked to expand the sets.    

Thus you can accumulate a good range of driving options for your favourite character, but in functional terms, the only real difference between any of the characters is in their weight class, as the character specific items of Double Dash!! are no longer present. Whether it be Yoshi, Luigi, or even your own Mii (an unlockable bonus, weight class determined by how big you made it originally) in the driver's seat of the Nostalgia kart, for example, it'll handle just the same.    

After selecting a character and vehicle, you will be presented with an option that seems quite foreign to the Mario Kart series: "Automatic", or "Manual". However, this is nothing to do with shifting gears, but rather pertains to the new drifting mechanics that have been implemented. In the automatic case, players do not have to press a button to hop and initiate a power-slide in order to navigate sharp corners, rather the slide is initiated automatically as you steer heavily in one direction. This form of drifting keeps things simple for beginners, and lacks the reward of a mini-boost at the end, so Mario Kart vets shouldn't concern themselves with this, and instead proceed with the manual option from the get-go.    

As you may have heard by now, the drifting in Mario Kart Wii has been modified from the system employed in the DS version. The rocking back and forth of the steering in order to build up a mini-boost found in the past several Mario Kart games has been taken out. Instead, how quickly you build up through the two levels of mini-boost (available for karts, as bikes only have one) is now dependent on how heavily you steer into the slide. This means that the straighter your course after initiating the slide, the longer it will take for the boost to accrue, rendering the oft-maligned snaking technique no longer viable as a way to get ahead.    

This is to my satisfaction, as I did not find attempting to exploit the old drifting mechanics to be enjoyable per se, but some may lament the passing of snaking as a skill to be mastered. However, I would say that there is some depth to using powerslides in Mario Kart Wii, as it further encourages taking corners as sharply as possible, which is a nice risk-reward element.    

Mario Kart Wii follows Brawl's lead in providing players with the full compliment of possible control schemes on Wii, and this is very much appreciated as there are significant pros and cons to the different setups. The much-publicised Wii Wheel doesn't add anything functionally to simply holding the Wii Remote on its side, but its construction is solid and provides some comfort and additional ease in steering and reaching for the B trigger to initiate a power-slide.    

Using the wheel at first proved to be somewhat unexpectedly enjoyable and functional, but as soon as an over-steering mistake costs you a GP title, you too may find yourself longing for the feel of an analog stick against your thumb. The GameCube and Classic controllers can accommodate this need, providing tight, very familiar control that can be finessed much more easily than the turning of the wheel.    

Where these methods fall down a bit though is in the activation of the new trick system. When using the Wii Remote, flicking upwards just as you take off from a ramp initiates a nifty piece of aerial acrobatics on the part of your driver, granting you a boost as soon as you touch the ground. The gesture recognition has been totally solid in my experience, and on the GCN and Classic controllers the d-pad is relied upon to execute this manoeuvre, which is a little bit awkward by comparison (though hardly representative of a major problem). However, the Wii Remote-Nunchuk combo controls really do represent the best of both worlds in this case, as they combine the precision and familiarity of control stick steering with the ability to flick the remote even more effortlessly than when holding it on its side.    

The addition of bikes to the Mario Kart cavalcade of craziness (or should that be kavalcade of kraziness?) is not as superfluous as I had first thought, and injects a few new elements into the formula. The bikes are predictably much more manoeuvrable than the karts, making them good for weaving in between obstacles and traffic, but also vulnerable to battery by heavier machines. In some cases, the turning circle is so tight that only a brave man would power-slide more than occasionally, and with just a limited boost to be earned when on two wheels, drifting becomes a lesser part of the game.    

More interestingly, bikes can travel at higher speeds when you perform a wheelie (once again by flicking the remote up/d-pad). The price to pay for this ability is that the bikes become even more vulnerable to attack while balancing on one wheel, and lose almost all capacity to change direction, so this must be used carefully. It proves most useful for maintaining high speeds following a boost when on a straight, and presents a risk-reward mechanic that is entirely unique to this new breed of Mario Kart racer.    

Having now seen all of the 32 tracks (16 new, 16 retro, as in Mario Kart DS) on offer, the selection is pretty satisfying, although everyone will have their grievances regarding omissions from the retro list (no Waluigi Pinball or GCN Yoshi Circuit!), and a little more thematic variety would have been welcome. The new tracks start off pretty basic but progress into some of the wildest the series has seen yet, with solid track design augmented by some interesting use of the new trick mechanics by littering the track with exploitable ramps and bumps.    

While the game's graphics may not immediately impress, the 12 racers on the tarmac (or sand, or flowing water even) combined with the madness created by some of the new courses create a greater sense of spectacle than was apparent in Double Dash!!. However, in accommodating the 12 competitors most of the tracks have been made very broad, which rather diminishes an already lacking sensation of speed. While Mario Kart has never styled itself as akin to F-Zero, on those occasions when you activate multiple turbos in quick succession you might wish that rush was felt rather more frequently, at least in the 150cc class.    

Unlocking aside, multiplayer's the name of the Mario Kart game, and local four player races have an impressive set of options this time. In addition to being able to set up a competition over a number of courses of your choosing, the level of the AI opponents can be toggled through three difficulty settings, while the items can also be modified or turned off altogether. In addition to the "balanced" default setting, there is a choice to make the extreme items (such as the lightning bolt or Bullet Bill) more or less common.    

In the latter case the items remain largely contained to the basics (such as green shells, mushrooms, and bananas), preserving combat between racers while eliminating the items that are least associated with skill or strategy. A comprehensive item switch might have been preferable, but this is a step in the right direction. Where Mario Kart Wii is most regrettably less customisable is in the case of Battle Mode, which must be played in two teams of six competing in a score-based match rather than an elimination format. This seems needlessly limiting and, so far, appears to be to the detriment of the fun to be had in Battle Mode.    

Finally there's the online play, which is undoubtedly a step up from Nintendo's other ventures in this area. Joining a series of anonymous matches is very quick and easy, and is not limited to a set number of races or affected by dropouts, so the contests proceed smoothly for as long as you care to race in the quest to accumulate ranking points based on your performance (a system akin to your skill scores in Wii Sports). The game itself runs smoothly (seemingly in 100cc mode only) even with the full compliment of racers, and copes well if playing with a friend in splitscreen on the same Wii.    

Currently I haven't been able to dabble in friend matches, but friends can now be invited to add your code using your Wii Message Board address book in the Mario Kart Channel (standalone installation requires 86 blocks, but the same functionality is available through the game disc as well). This channel also lets you see if any of your registered friends are online with Mario Kart Wii without having to insert the game disc.    

Overall, my time with Mario Kart Wii so far has shown me that while it definitely does not "reinvent the wheel" (though it does provide us with one whether we want it or not), there are a significant amount of tweaks and new elements to offer something a little different to the Kart veteran, while staying true to the core formula that was so well received in Mario Kart DS. The superior online functionality (and indeed, the absence of snaking) could well mean that this one will last us even longer in spite of some annoyances, but anyone demanding that Mario Kart Wii transcend its forebears altogether is clearly not going to be satisfied.

Greg Leahy
Former RFN Editor

Offline Neodymium

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: IMPRESSIONS: Mario Kart Wii
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 04:18:18 PM »
The removal of snaking is awesome news, but the question now lies in two other weaknesses. Firstly, are the blue shells toned down properly, and has that system been changed to make it more tolerable? Secondly, have the heavy-weight characters been properly made level with the lighter ones as was down in Super Smash Bros. Brawl? In prior versions of Mario Kart, the lighter karts were always at a profound advantage.
The Mighty Pirate formerely known as PS2stinks..

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 04:32:02 PM »
The removal of snaking is awesome news, but the question now lies in two other weaknesses. Firstly, are the blue shells toned down properly, and has that system been changed to make it more tolerable? Secondly, have the heavy-weight characters been properly made level with the lighter ones as was down in Super Smash Bros. Brawl? In prior versions of Mario Kart, the lighter karts were always at a profound advantage.

I don't know, maybe in MKDS but in 64 I always used Wario.  He kicked butt.

The Mario Kart Channel sounds awesome!  Also, the way the did the bikes sounds really good and actually got me excited about bikes being in the game!  I mean that whole wheelie thing sounds awesome.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 04:33:57 PM »
ExciteBike lives on.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 04:34:29 PM »
As far as blue shells are concerned, this section of Greg's comments had me excited...

In addition to the "balanced" default setting, there is a choice to make the extreme items (such as the lightning bolt or Bullet Bill) more or less common.

In the latter case the items remain largely contained to the basics (such as green shells, mushrooms, and bananas), preserving combat between racers while eliminating the items that are least associated with skill or strategy.

While not perfect, that sounds like it may be a good mode for highly competitive play.  ;)
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 04:40:36 PM »
grrrr @ balance/level playing field bs

Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 04:42:06 PM »
There needs to be random times when the only items that pop up during the race are blue shells... :tpg:
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 04:43:30 PM »
Indeed!

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 04:45:57 PM »
There needs to be random times when the only items that pop up during the race are blue shells... :tpg:

LOL that would actually be quite awesome.

Frozen Shoe Games

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 04:48:29 PM »
Pietriots VS. NWR:  Road Beyond Warriors Thunderdome

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 04:51:27 PM »
Building on what Greg has said, the online functionality allows you to jump into the next race that your online friend is currently playing and in the interim allows you to watch them live. I've yet to hit a smidgen of lag in this feature, and i can sit there and watch their misfortune while they lose miserably. Better still, they will never know!

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2008, 04:53:35 PM »
Building on what Greg has said, the online functionality allows you to jump into the next race that your online friend is currently playing and in the interim allows you to watch them live. I've yet to hit a smidgen of lag in this feature, and i can sit there and watch their misfortune while they lose miserably. Better still, they will never know!

*frothing delight*

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2008, 05:02:47 PM »
I am starting to question whether I'll even buy this edition of Mario Kart.  Battle mode is the most important part of the game to me, and I suspect MK Wii will end up like Double Dash: played for two weeks and then set aside.  The sad thing is that it looks like Nintendo actually put a lot of thought into how to screw up battle mode this time, unlike in DD where they just didn't bother putting any effort into it.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2008, 05:14:09 PM »
I am starting to question whether I'll even buy this edition of Mario Kart.  Battle mode is the most important part of the game to me, and I suspect MK Wii will end up like Double Dash: played for two weeks and then set aside.  The sad thing is that it looks like Nintendo actually put a lot of thought into how to screw up battle mode this time, unlike in DD where they just didn't bother putting any effort into it.

The Battle mode scheme Nintendo put in this game seems like it will be a lot better online than splitscreen, though a friend of mine and I have had a lot of fun recently playing Battles in MKDS in teams with CPUs.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Yoshidious

• Silent Partner
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2008, 05:22:48 PM »
On the blue shell issue, my experience in standard GP play suggests that the appearance of a blue shell when you're coasting in first place may not quite be as inevitable as in some of the other recent Mario Karts, though is still a bit too common for my tastes. It seems a bit more random now - you could have back to back races where you get out in front and roll into first place untroubled, and then in the third race you get hit with blue shells twice in the space of a lap.

On the lower classes the blue shell seems to appear less frequently, indeed, the AI opponents seem pretty passive in these modes generally. Conversely, 150cc can leave you fuming following multiple item strikes, but it's still probably a little bit less blue shell-tastic than Double Dash!! and DS. As Pale points out though, if you're doing a VS race you can play with more basic items, but if you only have a hatred for the blue shell in particular, you might miss some of the other items that are lost as well.
Greg Leahy
Former RFN Editor

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2008, 05:33:16 PM »
Can you spend a little more time talking about the wheel?  The trick functionality aside, does the wheel feel any better (or is it any more fun) than playing the "normal" way?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2008, 06:10:41 PM »
You're not missing much. Personally if you've played games prior to wii then it just feels weird and inaccurate. And not in an ExciteTruck way either.