Author Topic: Mario Kart Wii to Feature Text Chat  (Read 10433 times)

Offline Yoshidious

• Silent Partner
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
Mario Kart Wii to Feature Text Chat
« on: February 27, 2008, 05:59:48 AM »
Nintendo's official European site confirms the use of text-based chat rooms for online friends waiting to race. Updated: Chat will be limited to a choice of pre-determined phrases.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=15422

Update: IGN has learned from Nintendo of America that the text chat feature will be limited to a selection of pre-determined phrases, and therefore will not be input via an on-screen or physical keyboard.    

Following last week's announcement of an April 11th European release date for Mario Kart Wii, Nintendo has updated the game's hub page on its UK website with confirmation of the ability to text chat with registered friends outside of races.    

"You’ll be able to race against up to 11 other players from around the world in massive online races or race against your friends. You can create rooms for friends to join and even text chat while you’re waiting for other racers."    

Given that previous Wii firmware updates have made it possible to use USB keyboards in the Internet Channel and elsewhere, it would seem likely that Mario Kart Wii will support the use of keyboards in addition to the familiar Wii Remote text input method.      

As well as chatting with each other prior to competing, friends will be able to jump into each other's races at any time, serving as spectators until joining in the action when the next circuit commences. Rounding off the game's online features, Mario Kart Wii will install its own Channel on the Wii Menu that will allow players to compare their top times with the best the world has to offer, download ghost data to compete against, and participate in special events organised by Nintendo.

Greg Leahy
Former RFN Editor

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
Re: Mario Kart Wii to Feature Text Chat
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 02:34:41 PM »
I don't know how convinced I am that a keyboard is necessarily going to be usable.  When was the last time a first party game supported a non-first party piece of hardware.  Is Nintendo really going to deal with support calls from people that can't make Brand X Wireless Keyboard work on their Wii?

If that thought proves true, let's hope this means we'll get a slick first party wireless keyboard of some sort to go with it and not that we'll be expected to use a cellphone texting interface on the screen....
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 02:42:22 PM »
Nintendo shouldn't be responsible for it.  Remember that a wireless USB keyboard isn't any different than a wired one to the device it is being plugged into.  Only the keyboard knows it is wireless.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 02:43:38 PM »
Mario Kart: Double Dash >> Logitech Speedforce Racing Wheel
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 03:00:15 PM »
But does the logitech wheel give you more turning?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 04:29:05 PM by KnowsNothing »
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 03:03:16 PM »
PLENTY

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 03:05:30 PM »
Mario Kart: Double Dash >> Logitech Speedforce Racing Wheel
Well the wheel was an officially licensed accessory though...
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 03:09:06 PM »
Logitech is not a first party.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 03:09:43 PM »
BD&A (or whatever) makes officially licensed accessories, and they suck.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 03:11:35 PM »
Yes I know, my response was meant to acknowledge your point but still show how my original point holds water.

And officially licensing a product would warrant their support of said product.  5 year old wireless keyboards that require driver installs won't ever fall under the veil of their support.
---------------------

Offline darknight06

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 03:49:06 PM »
You know, USB hubs do work with the system too.  That's what I use with the Wii.  I am not gonna worry myself over it being wireless or not.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 05:05:20 PM »
I don't know how convinced I am that a keyboard is necessarily going to be usable.  When was the last time a first party game supported a non-first party piece of hardware.  Is Nintendo really going to deal with support calls from people that can't make Brand X Wireless Keyboard work on their Wii?

If that thought proves true, let's hope this means we'll get a slick first party wireless keyboard of some sort to go with it and not that we'll be expected to use a cellphone texting interface on the screen....

Well a lot of USB keyboards work hell my wireless keyboard thats designed for the PS3 works on my Wii, 360, PS3, PC, Macbook I'm sure as its a standard 109 key keyboard it will work.(Note: the wireless PS3 keyboard is the one with a RF USB dongle). And if Nintendo needs a keyboard I'm sure they will give logitech the heads up to make a keyboard and license it for Wii or advertise it that it works for the Wii.

Nintendo shouldn't be responsible for it.  Remember that a wireless USB keyboard isn't any different than a wired one to the device it is being plugged into.  Only the keyboard knows it is wireless.

It only makes a difference if the wireless keyboards doesn't have a receiver and needs a existing standard to connect to (ex. Logitech bluetooth keyboards) those require a device with a bluetooth card that can accept those types of devices and I'm sure Nintendo designed the Wii to accept connections from Wii remotes and Wii balance boards(so far).
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 05:15:53 PM »

It only makes a difference if the wireless keyboards doesn't have a receiver and needs a existing standard to connect to (ex. Logitech bluetooth keyboards) those require a device with a bluetooth card that can accept those types of devices and I'm sure Nintendo designed the Wii to accept connections from Wii remotes and Wii balance boards(so far).

Alright so, we can agree that 45% of the country is stupid.  So 45% of 300,000,000 is 135,000,000.    Please note that all stupid people own Wiis because Wiis have non-games only.  Now we take that and see how many would have bluetooth keyboards, about 20%. So 20% of 135,000,000 is 27,000,000.  So with this research we can conclude that at least 27,000,000 stupid people, own Wiis and a bluetooth keyboard.  27,000,000 is too many support calls, so Flames_of_chaos is right, there would be too much support for this to be possible.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 05:19:13 PM by DAaaMan64 »
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2008, 05:23:45 PM »
Cool but I wont be using it.
I can just use Skype or my phone!
Now if they had real voice chat id use it.
~David~
3DS: 5214-9250-6646 - David
Playing Now: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2008, 06:00:33 PM »
I'm hoping that the next thing Nintendo will enable are bluetooth headsets or USB headsets which would just require a firmware upgrade like how Nintendo included USB keyboard support.

You know, USB hubs do work with the system too.  That's what I use with the Wii.  I am not gonna worry myself over it being wireless or not.

USB hubs work with anything with a USB port since it's a brainless device.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2008, 06:08:28 PM »
Too bad the USB port isn't really enabled either.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2008, 06:39:10 PM »
Too bad the USB port isn't really enabled either.

What do you mean by that if they aren't really enabled then why are there games that use a USB mic and why can people use USB keyboards on text entry screens for the internet browser, message boards?? And why do some people use it to charge USB devices the USB ports are always on and receive power..

Offline NeoThunder

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2008, 06:54:47 PM »
I remember while back when they added USB keyboard support, I said something to the effect that this was probley gonna be nintendo's way of allowing people to communicate in games instead of voice chat

Now i'd just like to say......I CALLED IT!!!!!!!!!!

cue Steven Colbert sound and balloon drop
Wii# 4120-9638-2308-7614
<BR>
<BR>Mario Kart# 3178-8705-8094
<BR>
<BR>Faith is the complete surrender and acceptence of total control

Offline LuigiHann

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2008, 07:49:46 PM »

Um, if it doesn't have a USB receiver, it's not a "USB Keyboard" so it wouldn't be supported in any event.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2008, 10:33:54 PM »
Wow, they found a way to Nintendumb down a chat room. I would never want to type words to my friends between matches so I'm glad the option was yanked. Kudos.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2008, 10:36:30 PM »
In my thinking that this was abnormal, I ALMOST suggested the possibility that it would be lame pre-canned phrases.  Then I thought, nah, Nintendo wouldn't be that frustrating.

Oh boy....
---------------------

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2008, 10:44:09 PM »
Update: IGN has learned from Nintendo of America that the text chat feature will be limited to a selection of pre-determined phrases, and therefore will not be input via an on-screen or physical keyboard.

Nintendo has succeeded yet again to treat us like children. We can't be trusted to have some friendly rivalry conversation, or blow off steam, or try to have a sophisticated conversation between matches. Because Nintendo knows the evil that lurks in our hearts, the moment we log on, we'll automatically engage in potentially offensive communication that involves sex and or excrement.

When does the hurting stop?  >:(
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline shammack

• "This space intentionally left blank."
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2008, 10:52:01 PM »
Because Nintendo knows the evil that lurks in our hearts, the moment we log on, we'll automatically engage in potentially offensive communication that involves sex and or excrement.

In fairness, this is actually true.  Just look at Pictochat.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2008, 11:53:36 PM »
When does the hurting stop?  >:(

It will stop when people stop having high expectations for games and just enjoy them when they come out.

Seriously, am I the ONLY one who doesn't care for any form of chat? I admit it sounded neat when it was revealed, but I was going to enjoy the game even if it didn't have it.

Since when did we start acting like spoiled babies and get pissed the minute a feature is not in the game or is not what we expected?
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2008, 03:11:23 AM »
Text chat? Non-gamers will buy Mario Kart just for this feature all their karts will sit idle while they chat am I right destroying the industry and so forth.