Author Topic: Rumor Cats: Wii U in 2016  (Read 8940 times)

Offline SonofMrPeanut

• (illegitimately)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
Re: Rumor Cats: Wii U in 2016
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2016, 02:31:33 PM »
I'd just like to point out that MyNintendoNews has cited this Cat-Tastic article on a rumor article. http://mynintendonews.com/2016/02/05/rumour-nintendo-doubled-down-on-star-fox-zero-motion-controls/

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2016, 03:07:47 PM »
What's the matter Ian. Cat got your tongue?

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2016, 05:30:09 PM »
Motion control is very unique in that there is no clear cut off for when you're not activating it. Like the programmer can't make the game instantly react to the slightest bit of input because just holding it "still" isn't truly still because you'll be breathing and the controller will be moving ever so slightly.
Just out of curiosity, do you have any solutions in mind for this problem? Aside from the obvious "Don't use it."

Another curiosity question: Let's say, hypothetically, that they can create motion controls that are 100% accurate. Do you think you would enjoy using them?

100% accurate would be getting close to VR so that would be pretty neat.  Doesn't solve the problem of fatigue so the games need to take that into account.  Can't expect the player to be swinging a sword for hours on end for example.

I think the best solution as is would be to have a button on the controller that you hold down as you do motion control "swings" so it knows you're in motion control mode and are not just moving the controller to scratch your nose or something.  Or maybe you press it to temporary turn it off or hold to turn off or whatever.

Touchscreen controls have some issues too.  No tactile feedback and touching the screen involves obstructing the view of the game itself.  The two issues go hand in hand actually.  With dual screens you can put the visuals in the non-touch screen so that the controls don't obstruct the view but without the tactile feedback the user can't use more than one touch command by feel so they have to look down at the controls and take their view off the game.  Works okay for something like Theatrhythm where the whole touchscreen is one pad area and you can input the commands anywhere on the screen or turn based games where obstructing the view temporarily won't cost you a life.

The morale of the story is that you don't go with control schemes on the basis of how neato they are for marketing purposes (or in the case of mobile to shoehorn a game into a restrictive control scheme just to get product on the platform).  You go with what fits the game.  What will allow the player to feel in control of the game without really even thinking about it because when you're playing a great game you don't really think about the input, you just do it.

If Nintendo really likes this two screen thing for Star Fox then wouldn't the 3DS have made a **** load more sense since the screens are close enough that the player can easily have both in his field of vision at the same time?

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2016, 09:30:56 PM »
After re-reading the third rumor cat, I'm a bit confused and bewildered. It's apparently something that's quite significant, since it could eat up a big amount of time in the latter half of the year despite the 3DS having a lot of RPGs during that time.

What the hell, cats. Just come out with it.

I reached out to the cat in question, who said to "check what the boss said".

Kimishima referred to an unannounced Wii U game in the most recent shareholder Q&A that's supposed to have Mario Maker/Splatoon type appeal. That's presumably it.

Please don't encourage him.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2016, 11:04:51 PM »

Please don't encourage him.

Who? The cat?
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2016, 11:35:56 PM »
I can't speak for everyone but I will say this about motion controls, they should have always been optional.For me, even if they were perfect I would never want to use them again. I enjoyed Wii Sports but that was it, it should have been like the Zapper, bundled at launch but always optional. But whatever all it does is pisses me off thinking about that piece of ****. It could have been so much better but whatever.
You can call me Mikey if my username is too long.
My favorite games are: Minecraft, Star Wars, Mario, DK, Zelda, Ninja Turtles, and Call of Duty,
I own Wii U, PS4, PS3, and PC.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2016, 02:08:00 AM »

If Nintendo really likes this two screen thing for Star Fox then wouldn't the 3DS have made a **** load more sense since the screens are close enough that the player can easily have both in his field of vision at the same time?

That would partially defeat the purpose of Star Fox Zero to present two different angles of the action, having the gryo assist in aiming, and having it all be 60 FPS.

Of course, the bigger question would be why would you want that instead of the tried-and-true of switchable third-person and cockpit views. I don't have an answer for that.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2016, 04:05:35 PM »
I reached out to the cat in question, who said to "check what the boss said".

Kimishima referred to an unannounced Wii U game in the most recent shareholder Q&A that's supposed to have Mario Maker/Splatoon type appeal. That's presumably it.
And that's supposed to come out this year? We haven't even heard about it. I mean, this is assuming the Wii U is going to die of atrophy before 2017, correct?
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2016, 04:26:35 PM »
Pretty much.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.