Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1588004 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Wii U is here
« Reply #5175 on: December 06, 2012, 09:38:47 PM »
I thought Resident Evil 4 started that whole QTE stuff. I loved it in that game. Hated it in every other game since.

The term QTE was coined by Yu Suzuki for the Dreamcast game Shenmue, which made it popular. Some games used it before hand, but did not make it popular or famous.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline ymeegod

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5176 on: December 07, 2012, 07:54:48 AM »
Dragon's Lair (Arcade early 80's game)  QTE isn't anything new, about as old as the press button to JUMP.  Very popular during the laser disc/early CD game era.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #5177 on: December 07, 2012, 08:00:40 AM »
TJ's right about Yu Suzuki coining the term, though. I remember them playing it up as some big innovation in the lead-up to Shenmue's release. Man, I loved that game. I wish someone would take SEGA up on their offer to finish the trilogy.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #5178 on: December 07, 2012, 10:37:12 AM »
I understand where people like Mop it up are coming from when they say they recognize a button more as the function it performs than the title of the button; for example the xbox controller switches b/a to a/b but in most games I can jump in (get it?) without a manual or tutorial and assume what the buttons do because we've between conditioned to it by solid game design.

Personally I was conditioned by nes//snes so if I'm playing an xbox game and a prompt tells me to hit a, I'd end up pressing the b button instead because of my familiarity with their layout. I've never looked closely enough at the Wii U Gamepad's controller to notice the button labels. they could be 1, 2, 3, 4 or hieroglyphs for all I know, but no matter what they're called, I know that if I'm playing Marios Bros, Y is run, B is jump. The same way I know that if I was using the wiimote instead, b is run and a is jump.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #5179 on: December 07, 2012, 10:54:06 AM »
A is jump, B is run. That's how the NES games were, but then Nintendo switched everything around with the SNES controller. I've always wanted the SNES layout to be more like the Xbox controller.

Bottom - A
Left - X
Top - Y
Right - B
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #5180 on: December 07, 2012, 11:55:10 AM »
the point is that run is left of jump, or In the case of snes top-left. its a formula that is copied in any game worth a damn, which is why its intuitive to most gamers of that era.

Take a look at the Gamecube version of the Mega Man Collections to see how counter intuitive it is to reverse those controls. Its like they programmed the game with only xbox in mind, where A (left button) is shoot and B is jump (right button) thus leaving the GCN version damn near unplayable because Nintendo kept their traditional B on the left, A on the right layout. It was like a slap in the face to players like me who grew up on NES Mega Man.
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #5181 on: December 07, 2012, 02:25:34 PM »
Kotaku sez Rayman Leyends out Feb. 26, demo December 13.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #5182 on: December 07, 2012, 03:14:02 PM »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline MysticGohan

• I have a large position in nVidia.
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #5183 on: December 08, 2012, 01:29:30 AM »
When are we getting Nintendo TVii? I know it's a day one launch for Japan, but when do we get it? Supposed to be in December right?
Everytime you open your mouth you prove you're an idiot. ~Vegeta

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

I could go into a Wendy's res

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #5184 on: December 08, 2012, 03:29:18 AM »
the point is that run is left of jump, or In the case of snes top-left. its a formula that is copied in any game worth a damn, which is why its intuitive to most gamers of that era.

Take a look at the Gamecube version of the Mega Man Collections to see how counter intuitive it is to reverse those controls. Its like they programmed the game with only xbox in mind, where A (left button) is shoot and B is jump (right button) thus leaving the GCN version damn near unplayable because Nintendo kept their traditional B on the left, A on the right layout. It was like a slap in the face to players like me who grew up on NES Mega Man.

But A and B were on a horizontal plane on the NES controller. The GameCube just mimicked that with its button layout.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #5185 on: December 08, 2012, 10:16:30 AM »

But A and B were on a horizontal plane on the NES controller. The GameCube just mimicked that with its button layout.

you're missing the point. In the Gamecube version of Mega Man collections, B was now jump and A was to shoot. The game played so awkward I gave it up for awhile and it took me a while to try it out again because damn if I'd let all that money go to waste. It was just incredibly counter intuitive to someone like me, who has played every single MM game on the NES and then SNES. It became almost impossible to hold a charge shot and jump at the same time because my thumb would end up losing its hold on the A button while trying to press down on B. With the original set-up, and the way it played on the X-box version of the game, you can easily rest your thumb on "A" while it's on the left and apply pressure to 'B" when it was on the right at the same time, which is necessary for this type of game. Once that was flipped for the GCN version, it played horribly.

And the switch from B = run to  Y = run in the SNES era Mario bros wasn't a big deal because it still had that same intuitive feel; youcan hold down Y the same way you held B on NES, throughout the entire damn game without letting up and without it affecting your ability to hit the  jump button - obviously important for the games design.

I don't know how that seems to trip you up so much, I'm pretty sure it was incredibly easy for any other Nintendo player here unless you never played one growing up and tried it later. Even still, the design of the controller wasn't something as seemingly complex as say the N64 or GCN controllers appear to be at first sight. Nintendo could of very well labeled left as B, down as A, kept X on top and put Y on the right and players wouldn't of noticed a difference in playing NES Mario vs SNES Mario because mentally nothings changed, only the position of your thumb; which is a much more comfortable position than the NES position to be honest. They only kept B/A on the bottom for traditions sake. It was like "hey look, this a more advanced NES. We've redesigned the controller to fit more comfortably in your hands and added a few extra buttons".

At the end of the day the button names don't matter, its button mapping that does. So even if Nintendo labeled the SNES pad like the X-box pad, Mario would play the same damn way and you'd still be complaining that that "switched everything around". One last thing; if Nintendo did label the button layout the way you wanted them, the X-box controller you're playing today wouldn't be the same, it would be labeled the way SNES actually is. Copy-right stuff I'm sure.

Offline NeoStar9X

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5186 on: December 08, 2012, 05:02:57 PM »
When are we getting Nintendo TVii? I know it's a day one launch for Japan, but when do we get it? Supposed to be in December right?

I wonder if they really did indeed end up getting it.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5187 on: December 10, 2012, 05:26:22 AM »
I got the first God of War and wrote off the whole series because of the QTEs.  I cannot do that **** with the Playstation symbols.  I really don't even think in terms of buttons anyway.  The buttons quickly become "jump", "shoot" etc.  So if the game suddenly says "PUSH A!!!" I have to think about it.  It isn't "A", it's "jump".

The Cube controller COULD have been the best ever BUT Nintendo had to effectively throw a hissy fit during the design.  They originally did not have the Z button or the d-pad on their but added them due to requests from developers.  So they half-assed the request, throwing a Z button in practically a random location and cheaping out by re-purposing the tiny GBA d-pad (which probably saved them squat for money in the longrun since they replaced the d-pad on the GBA SP with a better design).  Nintendo is a stubborn company and they don't seem to do things they don't want to do very well.  If it wasn't their own idea they do it shitty, probably to "prove" that the idea was no good all along.  I don't know if that is on purpose or it's just sloppiness born out of a lack of motivation.

If Nintendo were the reasonable and accomodating company we all wish they would be the Cube d-pad and Z button would be actually useful, but they're not and the controller is a seriously flawed as a result.  In terms of ergonomics though, that controller just melted in your hands which makes the Wii's rectangular controller design all the more odd.  The infamous "NES" way of holding the controller is like the anti-Cube.

Is this 2002? I'm going back to sleep.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
THQ basically clarifies horrible slow CPU
« Reply #5188 on: December 13, 2012, 11:22:42 AM »

They don't mention it specifically. But we all know what he's talking about.

http://spong.com/detail/editorial.jsp?eid=10110871&page=2

Hue Benyon: Our look at the Wii U extended to a very early look at some very early kits. We... we did some work on it, but we made a decision fairly early on that we weren’t going to commit further resource to it. So yeah, we didn’t go too far. Take any of the comments you’ve seen attributed with a pinch of salt - it’s certainly not been based on any kind of analysis of final hardware.

RomanceDawn

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Re: THQ basically clarifies horrible slow CPU
« Reply #5189 on: December 13, 2012, 11:33:10 AM »

Hue Benyon: Our look at the Wii U extended to a very early look at some very early kits. We... we did some work on it, but we made a decision fairly early on that we weren’t going to commit further resource to it. So yeah, we didn’t go too far. Take any of the comments you’ve seen attributed with a pinch of salt - it’s certainly not been based on any kind of analysis of final hardware.
You know, this trend of developers not even trying with the WiiU is really starting to piss me off as a consumer. I think, to spite them, I may exercise my consumer rights in respect of games in which I am interested by:
1. Refusing to buy their games (which partly punishes me too); or (even better)
2. Buying the games used and at a ridiculous discount from the MSRP. That'll learn 'em.
I wish these folks to know that, had they put some effort into bringing their property to Wii U, I would have bought the game new and at full price (maybe even the digital version which probably nets them more return). Its not like I couln't have afforded to buy new (I am happy to report). Maybe I'll make a point of emailing them every time I purposely buy used in protest.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #5190 on: December 13, 2012, 10:18:30 PM »

You know, this trend of developers not even trying with the WiiU is really starting to piss me off as a consumer. I think, to spite them, I may exercise my consumer rights in respect of games in which I am interested by:
2. Buying the games used and at a ridiculous discount from the MSRP. That'll learn 'em.
I wish these folks to know that, had they put some effort into bringing their property to Wii U, I would have bought the game new and at full price (maybe even the digital version which probably nets them more return). Its not like I couln't have afforded to buy new (I am happy to report). Maybe I'll make a point of emailing them every time I purposely buy used in protest.

This kinda thinking will only get us less games and ports on the Wii U...however, at the same time...we should not reward sloppy ports.  Oh it is very frustrating indeed. 

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5191 on: December 14, 2012, 03:11:04 PM »

This kinda thinking will only get us less games and ports on the Wii U...however, at the same time...we should not reward sloppy ports.  Oh it is very frustrating indeed. 
How would that get us less games on the Wii U?  He states he's only buying used on 360, PC or PS3 versions of the game.  If they bring it to the Wii U, he will buy it right around release date for full price.  He's telling them they are losing a sale because they are not bringing the game to the Wii U.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
Monolith Soft wants to wow players.
« Reply #5192 on: December 15, 2012, 12:13:31 PM »
http://www.siliconera.com/2012/12/14/inspired-by-bethesda-softworks-monolith-soft-looks-forward-to-jumping-into-the-next-gen/

Inaba: “I’d like to make an HD game that will wow the players. I want to show that Japan can still keep up with the USA when it comes next gen technology. Our goal is to become something like the developers of the Fallout series, Bethesda Softworks.”

Sugiura: “I believe that today’s Japanese gaming industry has lost its touch, and we’d like to do something to change that.”

RomanceDawn

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #5193 on: December 15, 2012, 12:28:59 PM »
Fallout 3 is an impressive game from what I've seen my brother play, but I'd like see Monolith Soft continue doing their own thing instead of trying to emulate another company. Monolith Soft is special because they make Monolith Soft games.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #5194 on: December 16, 2012, 12:15:28 AM »
"Our goal is to become something like the developers of the Fallout series, Bethesda Softworks.”

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA that is just so wrong. It's obvious Inaba hasn't seen Bethesda's mess on the PlayStation 3.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5195 on: December 16, 2012, 12:18:53 AM »
I think he's probably talking about the game design and not the technical side of things. Nintendo would never let something that buggy out the door, anyway.

J.P. Corbran

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #5196 on: December 16, 2012, 12:46:55 AM »
I think he's probably talking about the game design and not the technical side of things. Nintendo would never let something that buggy out the door, anyway.
*cough* Wii U *cough*
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5197 on: December 16, 2012, 12:52:04 AM »
Fair point. I got three hard locks tonight with FIFA.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #5198 on: December 16, 2012, 01:07:06 AM »
Fair point. I got three hard locks tonight with FIFA.

I'm not the only one who had to re-read this post just to make sure he wrote locks, right?
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Razorkid

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5199 on: December 16, 2012, 01:18:53 PM »
That's too bad. I haven't had anymore hard locks of the system since the last major firmware update. Maybe it's the demo?
"All the world is blind to my passing..."