Author Topic: No More Heroes for Wii!!!!  (Read 149874 times)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Re: No More Heroes for Wii!!!!
« Reply #775 on: January 02, 2009, 01:37:56 PM »
Things get harder later on and you have to start thinking that way.  The first couple levels are pretty easy so you can acclimate to the combat.
Yep  in the later levels the guys start ganging up on you more.
NMH waggle finishers are like playing RE4:Wii with just the pistol for the sake of only-head-shots.  Guilty pleasures.

Thats the ONLY way i play RE4:Wii.

When i wanna make kills with min. effort I use the nunchuk waggle attack followed by A-prompted finishers and top it off with a nice "**** HEAD!" proclimation.

In RE4 I preferred the SMGs for that because they had a larger clip, if you don't use them full auto they can be pretty good headshotters too.

But the thrill of being vulnerable while reloading is half the fun!

In RE4 I learned to try to keep all my weapons preloaded before I entered a dangerous area. That way, when I've emptied the clip on one gun I could just switch to another gun and repeat without missing a beat. Yeah it is fun to actually have to reload your weapons in the heat of battle, but I just played it cautious out of instinct.
is your sanity...

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: January 02, 2009, 01:42:13 PM »
One thing I love about Wii is gesture baised reloading. There's just something about playing an FPS/RE4/Rail shooter and whipping the Wiimote or nunchuck to reload. Feels awesome.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #777 on: January 02, 2009, 01:55:43 PM »
Things get harder later on and you have to start thinking that way.  The first couple levels are pretty easy so you can acclimate to the combat.
Yep  in the later levels the guys start ganging up on you more.
NMH waggle finishers are like playing RE4:Wii with just the pistol for the sake of only-head-shots.  Guilty pleasures.

Thats the ONLY way i play RE4:Wii.

When i wanna make kills with min. effort I use the nunchuk waggle attack followed by A-prompted finishers and top it off with a nice "**** HEAD!" proclimation.

In RE4 I preferred the SMGs for that because they had a larger clip, if you don't use them full auto they can be pretty good headshotters too.

But the thrill of being vulnerable while reloading is half the fun!

Yeah, own or be owned (for lulz and FURIOUS ANGAR).

SUPER QUOTE BOXING HOOOOOOO
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: January 03, 2009, 12:58:51 AM »
i used similar tactics in NMH (trying to get back on topic here, sorry for the combo breaker). I'd fight until the batteries drained then use mellee attacks and throws until all enemies were gone before recharging.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: January 04, 2009, 09:15:05 AM »
Does anyone know how much time or how much money Suda had to spend to make this games?  After hearing about some studios closing and the relative bad news for many developers I am curious because Suda 51 seems to be pretty happy with what many developers (and some fans) consider to be poor sales.  They seem to have a pretty good business model and bring out games that enough people want to buy.

There have been complaints about the driving and I wonder if that is just them realizing that spending time and money on a rather unimportant part of the game compared to the rest is a wise decision.  I really would like to know how they work and wonder if other developers should try to emulate a model that can release a good game that doesn't need to be a blockbuster.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #780 on: January 04, 2009, 12:25:20 PM »
Yeah, Suda51 is apparently not so crazy when it comes to growing his studio. His budget was so much lower versus something like Haze or Lair. He may have only sold 400k copies of NMH (approximate), but I'm sure he made his budget back and started turning a profit.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: January 04, 2009, 01:40:20 PM »
I'm just curious how much Suda's budget has grown for No More Heroes 2 since it probably made then and Marvelous a pretty penny and for Suda's EA project for Wii/PS3/360.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: January 04, 2009, 06:56:44 PM »
If I were Suda, I'd stay small and restrained. This is not the time to go throwing money around, and also he wants to make these "punk" (as he likes to call these games with a distinctly alternative style) games, which the pressures of big money will distract from, or oppress, or both.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: January 05, 2009, 03:04:08 AM »
There are many ways to cut corners if you don't want to make a big budget game. Sandlot, for example, heavily reuses maps (but makes them generic and large enough to fit in many situations rather than turning them into a Halo-style deja vu experience).

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #784 on: January 05, 2009, 03:12:42 PM »
Yeah, Suda51 is apparently not so crazy when it comes to growing his studio. His budget was so much lower versus something like Haze or Lair. He may have only sold 400k copies of NMH (approximate), but I'm sure he made his budget back and started turning a profit.

So basically, Suda51 is the Uwe Boll of the video game development world?
is your sanity...

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: January 06, 2009, 08:49:31 PM »

So basically, Suda51 is the Uwe Boll of the video game development world?

I wish I could hate you to death.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: January 10, 2009, 03:31:45 AM »
Just started playing NMH. Is Suda seriously this goddamn immature? The forced swear words, gratuitous toilet humour and general vibe of the game is juvenile in the worst possible way.

EDIT: And please, no one tell me this is intentional as a satire of those types of games. Because we all know that's bullshit.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 05:31:56 AM by IceCold »
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: January 10, 2009, 04:07:36 AM »
I still haven't played further but the impression I got was that Travis was simply immature and doesn't have much creativity when it comes to "bond phrases"

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #788 on: January 11, 2009, 05:24:24 AM »
Just started playing NMH. Is Suda seriously this goddamn immature? The forced swear words, gratuitous toilet humour and general vibe of the game is juvenile in the worst possible way.

EDIT: And please, no one tell me this is intentional as a satire of those types of games. Because we all know that's bull****.

I dunno dude. You can't (and shouldn't) take anything about it seriously. The game is basically 100% satire all the way to its core.
is your sanity...

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: January 11, 2009, 06:11:12 AM »
I don't know if I'd call NMH satirical. I mean, it's definitely not serious, especially with that Beam Saber charging animation... I think it's really just Suda 51 brand knock-down drag-out craziness. This guy's games are really meant to be niche, and in the past their sales have demonstrated that.

Offline IceCold

• View Profile
« Reply #790 on: January 11, 2009, 07:14:36 AM »

EDIT: And please, no one tell me this is intentional as a satire of those types of games. Because we all know that's bull****.

I dunno dude. You can't (and shouldn't) take anything about it seriously. The game is basically 100% satire all the way to its core.

Oh I don't take it seriously at all. But that has less to do the supposed satire and more to do with the fact that it's infantile and distasteful. I agree with Kairon - I wouldn't say it's satirical (Suda's "punk's not dead" slogan is one clue) - it's just his usual zaniness. Suda probably believed people would actually find all of his "touches" funny.

I might be sounding a bit self-righteous here but I am honestly put-off by almost everything in the game, which is rare for me. I think it's mostly to do with the presentation. It feels like Suda is an immature teenage boy who is in love with the idea of swearing and violence and sex.. gratuitously forcing these elements into the game for the sake of it.

I wonder what Miyamoto would think of this game. He'd probably hate it.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: January 11, 2009, 08:14:05 AM »
Suda is a genius and everything has a meaning, you just don't get it. But that's fine. It took a while for Killer 7 to all click into place for me, but there was a point where I went "whoa" and went into deep thought. I can understand people taking everything in No More Heroes at face value, because the game is presented IN YOUR FACE, so you think everything is at it is. But it's not.

The game world is about Travis, not Suda. Everything in the game is an exaggerated reflection of the lifestyle he's trying to portray, in order to highlight it for people in a way that wont bore them to death. That's how Suda delivers messages and I personally love it.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: January 11, 2009, 12:12:39 PM »
Kairon has the right analysis. You take it only for it's crazyness.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: January 11, 2009, 04:12:56 PM »
The game world is about Travis, not Suda. Everything in the game is an exaggerated reflection of the lifestyle he's trying to portray, in order to highlight it for people in a way that wont bore them to death. That's how Suda delivers messages and I personally love it.

Actually, I think you may be onto something there Mario. I'm not as adept at figuring Suda out as you are, but I don't think he's being sensationalistic. I don't feel that NMH is haphazard at all, I really do think that Suda has crafted it with an intent.

Offline IceCold

• View Profile
« Reply #794 on: January 11, 2009, 08:04:42 PM »
That's all well and good Mario, but what you said doesn't change a thing. But by all means, go ahead and scavenge for profundity in this barren wasteland of a game.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #795 on: January 11, 2009, 08:12:32 PM »
Why scavenge for peanuts when you have a can of Planters staring you in the face?
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #796 on: January 11, 2009, 09:04:48 PM »
That's all well and good Mario, but what you said doesn't change a thing. But by all means, go ahead and scavenge for profundity in this barren wasteland of a game.

"I might be sounding a bit self-righteous here but I am honestly put-off by almost everything in the game, which is rare for me."

You said you weren't taking it seriously, but you appear to have a serious reaction anyway.  It's really just you having an honest, unique, subjective view compared to some of us.  I did find all of Suda's little touches funny, and I find myself lucky to pick up on a bunch of super-niche-niche cultural references.  He's a Japanese guy who barely barely speaks english and proceeded to run eastern + western entertainment cultural nuggets through a blender.

"swearing and violence and sex"

Yeah, I came across these items in this particular *entertainment product* as well.  I had my chuckles, let the naughty factor wear off after a few seconds, and moved on.  I found it sorta tame compared to other immensely more-popular products, and notably more tame than killer7.

No big deal.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: January 12, 2009, 03:41:59 AM »
I think some (many?) people just don't enjoy playing a character who seems to follow John Gabriel's GIFT without the anonymity requirement. Then again many people liked GoW's Kratos.

Offline IceCold

• View Profile
« Reply #798 on: January 12, 2009, 04:29:17 AM »
Pro, I think you misunderstood what I meant by "put off". I wasn't offended - we've all seen worse than NMH - I'm simply stating that I don't find such blatant puerility entertaining. I can understand why it would appeal to people who like "Wanted" and Mike Myers movies, among others. Unfortunately, I'm not among those people.

As for the cultural references, there's no chance I caught all of the ones you mentioned. But in the grand scheme of things, these references mean little to what I'm trying to say.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 04:38:17 AM by IceCold »

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: January 12, 2009, 05:45:59 AM »
Oh ****, Mike Myers! I watched Austin Powers once, that was horrible.