Author Topic: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch) Review  (Read 4547 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch) Review
« on: April 20, 2017, 02:00:00 AM »

A quality Battle Mode and other additions help this Deluxe edition avoid blue shells and banana peels.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/review/44517/mario-kart-8-deluxe-switch-review

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is an upgraded port of the 2014 Wii U game, coming with some new tweaks for its existence on a new platform. First things first: this is the best version of Mario Kart 8. It adds a quality battle mode with a mix of old favorite modes and a stellar new one. All of the well-crafted DLC from the Wii U release is baked in from the start this time, and so many characters are playable that it’s almost overwhelming at a glance. Even the system it’s on makes it a better game, as the Switch’s hybrid design makes it easier to play local multiplayer on either single or multiple systems. Really, the only ways Deluxe might be a downgrade from the prior iteration is that it’s now three years older and doesn’t offer that much new content for Wii U owners. And I guess you can’t use the thrilling “horn” feature on the Wii U GamePad.

Even with the sense of deja vu, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is a game I’m enjoying more than I did before, but it’s still missing an element that has become more important as the Mario Kart series has evolved: a strong single-player experience. If anything, the fact that all the characters and tracks are unlocked from the start has made the single-player worse, because the only reason to dive into anything by your lonesome is to grind out randomly unlocked kart parts. It’s the culmination of a downward trend in the series as single-player has become a lesser and lesser factor since the height of its powers with Mario Kart DS’ fantastic Mission Mode. Mario Kart 8 offers little of value as a single-player experience, and while some people might say that doesn’t matter, it certainly matters to me.

But my single-player qualms are assuaged by the added variety courtesy of the vastly improved Battle Mode. No longer are the weird circuitous courses the setting of the bastardized Balloon Battle. Instead, eight new Battle Mode courses house the mayhem of five modes, including old standards like Balloon Battle and Shine Thief. Like the Mario Kart 7 iteration, Balloon Battle can only be played in a timed mode, which removes a little bit of the drama and tension. Luckily, the new mode, Renegade Roundup, is designed around the apparent battle limitation of everything needing to be timed. It’s a cops-and-robbers setup as one team patrols the arena with Piranha Plants on their karts that will snatch up the other team when they get close enough. Excelling mostly because it’s not being shoehorned to fit into Mario Kart’s modern form like some of the other modes, Renegade Roundup is a frenetic experience that takes a little getting used to, but once it clicks, it’s excellent.

One of the potential unsung additions to Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is the variety of assist features that can help out neophytes, or at least help them hang with the pros a little better. Steering Assist, which is on by default, helps keep the kart on the road, while another assist makes it so the kart is always moving forward. The nice things about these is that they’re very helpful but not too intrusive. It’s a gentle nudge in the right direction as opposed to a gigantic handicap. These assists are perfect for that friend who missed out on Mario Kart in the past or a younger child trying to hang with older siblings or experienced parents.

The flexibility of multiplayer, thanks to the very design of the Switch, is also a fantastic inclusion to this version. Split-screen is present, though the drop from 60 frames-per-second in one- and two-player to 30 frames-per-second in three- and four-player is noticeable and suboptimal. The split-screen even works in tabletop mode, though, so the Switch becomes an instant multiplayer Mario Kart device wherever you are. Online is still as strong as ever, even letting you hop online with another player on the same system. New local wireless and LAN modes also let you use two-player split-screen with multiple systems. I wasn’t able to test those modes out, though it’s worth pointing out that no Download Play-like option exists here.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe makes for a great representation of the multiplayer potential of the Switch, but it still doesn’t add too much content to be a simple, slam-dunk purchase for owners of the Wii U version. The content it adds is strong, especially the revamped Battle Mode, though. And even aside from the new, the old stuff is abundant. 48 tracks are available right from the start, and with few exceptions, all are excellent. I might still carry a torch for quality single-player content and progression in Mario Kart, but there’s no denying that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is a step in the right direction for just about every other element.

Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Re: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch) Review
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 09:09:48 AM »
This is one game I will happily buy again. I look forward to trying the battle mode and racing as the inklings.

I played the Wii U version for a bit over 80 hours and most of that was online because it is just so good. I wasnt really interested in the single player. Im not sure if I even finished 100cc.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 09:19:16 AM by Lemonade »

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 09:57:50 AM »
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe makes for a great representation of the multiplayer potential of the Switch, but it still doesn’t add too much content to be a simple, slam-dunk purchase for owners of the Wii U version.

That's what scares me so much about the port-heavy possibility of the Switch's first year. I played the crap out of MK8 on Wii U and had a delightful time with the multiplayer and the DLC but I've never once been compelled to get this version since it was announced. And lots of Wii U games were great, fun experiences but that still wasn't enough to get people to buy that system. Is a "new" Mario Kart game going to help sell a $300 console when the last version of that Mario Kart game didn't do much to help sales of the previous $300 console?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 10:04:26 AM by Soren »
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 11:52:54 AM »
For me it really comes down to convenience, playtime potential,and party factor when it comes to ports. Mario Kart is a major party game so it was heavily skewed towards getting re-bought.

Games I have played and beaten completely are not going to pull me back in the same way. Smash would fall into a similar boat, because I would prefer to only drag one system around for party/group play. But Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 1/2, and Pikmin 3 would not because I can just fire up the old system at home.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 02:57:52 PM »
That's what scares me so much about the port-heavy possibility of the Switch's first year. I played the crap out of MK8 on Wii U and had a delightful time with the multiplayer and the DLC but I've never once been compelled to get this version since it was announced. And lots of Wii U games were great, fun experiences but that still wasn't enough to get people to buy that system. Is a "new" Mario Kart game going to help sell a $300 console when the last version of that Mario Kart game didn't do much to help sales of the previous $300 console?

The fact that the Switch can easily be taken on the go and is two player out of the box is a huge deal for a multiplayer game like this. Perhaps more importantly, the Switch is already a hot item (which could not be said for the Wii U in May 2014), and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is just giving people another great reason to buy it.

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 10:13:40 PM »

I think you're just down on the Switch and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is not changing your feelings because it's not new to you. I could write a lot of gibberish thoughts around this, but I'll keep it to just this: Your fears for the Switch are misplaced as it's already the fastest selling game console of this generation, and enhanced ports of best-ever versions of games like Mario Kart and Smash Bros will only cement the Switch as a powerhouse market, so this should be seen a hugely positive thing. I don't know why NWR seems to be anti-Switch, but this is the only place I see such negativity across the Interwebs, Subreddits and Gafosphere.

I think unrealistic expectations are to blame. Like, take Neal's second review attempt of this game for example: citing the single player as a con. Like, seriously? In comparison to what? I've played nearly every popular racer, and I don't understand this.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 10:20:10 PM by Agent-X- »

Offline Oedo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 02:52:38 PM »
Mario Kart 8 is a great game, and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe obviously stands to be even better, but the single-player experience is not all that strong. The only real "fun" to be had is getting three stars on all the cups, except the structure, AI, and random element takes a lot of the fun out of that too. There isn't much to begin with, and what is there has some glaring drawbacks. Luckily the multiplayer is still awesome, and that's reflected in this review. I can understand calling out some the Switch bashing that has taken place on the internet over the last couple of months, but an 8.5 review that's mostly very positive is a pretty bizarre example to point to, man. Also:

I think unrealistic expectations are to blame. Like, take Neal's second review attempt of this game for example: citing the single player as a con. Like, seriously? In comparison to what?

It’s the culmination of a downward trend in the series as single-player has become a lesser and lesser factor since the height of its powers with Mario Kart DS’ fantastic Mission Mode. Mario Kart 8 offers little of value as a single-player experience, and while some people might say that doesn’t matter, it certainly matters to me.

If you really want to put up a defense of the single-player though, here's a question: why would you ever play the single-player in this game over the multiplayer?

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 12:26:05 AM »
I am so ready for battle mode! I just can't wait! Too bad for BlackNMild though, I know he still dreams of an updated Block Fort.

I'm not sure I personally can really complain about all the cups being unlocked from the start. With online available it was like pulling teeth for me to play the single player too much after I got gold through all the 100cc classes. I just wanted to get online right away with decent knowledge of the tracks and didn't even try to do the DLC in single player so I guess I'll be fine with everything open from the get go.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 09:35:58 AM »
Mario Kart 8 is a great game, and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe obviously stands to be even better, but the single-player experience is not all that strong. The only real "fun" to be had is getting three stars on all the cups, except the structure, AI, and random element takes a lot of the fun out of that too. There isn't much to begin with, and what is there has some glaring drawbacks. Luckily the multiplayer is still awesome, and that's reflected in this review. I can understand calling out some the Switch bashing that has taken place on the internet over the last couple of months, but an 8.5 review that's mostly very positive is a pretty bizarre example to point to, man. Also:

I think unrealistic expectations are to blame. Like, take Neal's second review attempt of this game for example: citing the single player as a con. Like, seriously? In comparison to what?

It’s the culmination of a downward trend in the series as single-player has become a lesser and lesser factor since the height of its powers with Mario Kart DS’ fantastic Mission Mode. Mario Kart 8 offers little of value as a single-player experience, and while some people might say that doesn’t matter, it certainly matters to me.

If you really want to put up a defense of the single-player though, here's a question: why would you ever play the single-player in this game over the multiplayer?

That's just my point though. I don't remember any fantastic mission mode in MK DS. It wasn't particularly memorable IMO, and its omission has gone largely unnoticed. I've never felt single player Mario Kart needed any help, which is why I have easily racked up a hundred hours in every Mario Kart doing mostly single player races and time trials.

Multiplayer is really where it's at though, and attempting to slap in some single player modifications to make playing alone more interesting just feels cheap. Just go online and race if racing the computer isn't good enough.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 09:38:13 AM by Agent-X- »

Offline Oedo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 01:14:03 PM »
Plenty of people found the Mission Mode in Mario Kart DS to be memorable though. Daan specifically makes reference to it in NWR's second Mario Kart 8 Deluxe review, and I've seen others speak highly of it as well. The fact that it doesn't matter to you, on its own, is not a very strong argument that this isn't a legitimate complaint.

Offline Darth Asterix

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2017, 12:40:49 AM »
Would I like to have this? Absolutely. For me, is it worth paying full price for it a second time? Not a chance.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2017, 03:00:55 PM »
Theres really nothing wrong with better version of games from a previous system. PS4 has Last of Us Remastered, Uncharted Collection remastered, God of War 3 Remastered, the list goes on and on. It's a trend that is possible because of the generation we are in.

It makes sense because
1) If someone never bought the game and has the new system this gives them an opportunity to get the game.
2) If they owned the previous version this gives them an option to get a upgraded version with some extras
3) If they didn't want to buy the game again, well then this isn't for them. They still count as a sale.
4) Don't want to buy the game? well tough ****! You must buy this to remain cool to your friends ( I kid..though this would apply to teenagers)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 03:03:17 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline KeyBilly

• Donkey Kong is here!
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2017, 04:24:08 PM »
I'm surprised that Smart Steering has been so universally praised.  It is a nice feature, but implemented in a terrible way, and could ruin the game for many.

There is no indication that the feature even exists, and no options menu in the normal places to find it.  I was unknowingly playing with it on for a long time.  I am completely rusty at Kart games and expected to be sliding around and having fun getting better, progressing through the CC levels.  Instead, I was immediately getting 1st with almost no effort on the hardest levels.  Every curve was a nice powerslide and somehow I was just nailing it.  What bothered me is that in two instances, my Kart was obviously shoved away from chasms.

The only reason I knew about Smart Steering is from reviews.  Was it on for some reason?  I had to look up how to find it online.  You can't turn it off without being in a race!  From there, you go into settings with the plus button.  The reviews I read described it as gently pulling you away from edges, so I didn't expect much change with it off.  Wrong.  I was sliding all over the place like an alcoholic for a while after that as I adjusted to being in control.  The genius of Smart Steering is that it give you enough choice to make you feel like you are driving, while the game is basically driving for you.  It reminds me of when I look at the wrong player when playing locally with friends, thinking I'm driving really well when I am really just bouncing into a wall or driving off a cliff.

I like that Smart Steering exists, because it will allow multiplayer sessions with even the most novice players to be relatively evenly matched.  The way it is implemented as the default option and hidden, though, is highly problematic.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2017, 11:07:07 PM »
You can turn it off in the kart selection screen. Press the same button that you use to bring up the stats of your current kart, tire, and glider combination. You'll be able to turn off everything there before you even race. I think it should be off to begin with, which is an issue I have with the game.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline KeyBilly

• Donkey Kong is here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2017, 01:55:38 PM »
Thanks, that is good to know.

I do hope that consumers notice and make a big enough fuss to avoid this in the future.  Many people will never realize that they aren't even controlling the game directly.  People went crazy over the Super Guide, but I thought it was generally fine.  Imagine that it was on by default, though, with no notice that it even existed.  Young and new players would never have the journey that comes with figuring out the game, and would just think they were playing it normally.

Maybe it is fine for Nintendo to convert Mario Kart from a racing game to a game more focused on item management.  With their implementation of Smart Steering, that may be the direction they want to take the series.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 01:58:18 PM by KeyBilly »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2017, 08:46:34 PM »

I think that the easy mode issue isn't that big of a deal. Most of us are smart enough to figure it out soon enough and turn it off. The feature is for the less knowledgeable player, who wouldn't even think to look for a driving helper option to begin with.

A good compromise is to make it one of the options in-line with the kart customization where it can be turned off before the race begins, and still be toggled on/off during the race.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline KeyBilly

• Donkey Kong is here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2017, 10:34:43 AM »
I would guess that most people will never even know it exists.  It will just be how they play the game.  If this is how Nintendo directs the series, it is changing the way future generations will see the game.

I am not saying it is good or bad, and Mario Kart has always been a laid back experience.  It is a big change that is going under the radar, though.