Author Topic: Grand Theft Auto 5 has sold 90 million copies.  (Read 9681 times)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Grand Theft Auto 5 has sold 90 million copies.
« on: March 09, 2018, 10:49:49 PM »
I feel like it deserves a thread. It's the 3rd highest selling game of all time now - behind Tetris and Minecraft. I've owned this game for 3 years...never once played it though. I was just astonished when I looked it up earlier today to see if it had passed Wii Sports yet. Yes it has.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: Grand Theft Auto 5 has sold 90 million copies.
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 07:28:29 PM »
GTAV is fun. I beat the game though. It's a solid game with a ton of stuff to do. Though, you do run out of stuff to do. I wish the DLC wasn't tied to GTA Online.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 08:24:29 PM »
I never got GTA V.  I'm not the biggest fan of the series, but that's really impressive.  I think I'd pick up a Switch port.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 11:36:17 PM »
Well, it's the first 3D game in the series that didn't play like absolute ****, so good on them? I was kind of perplexed by how little of the map was actually used in the game, but the subsequent full tilt toward GAAS stuff filled in that gap. Could be that GTA V will be looked back on as the last of its breed.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 11:07:36 AM »
I never cared for prior GTAs beyond occasionally seeing how long I could go on a rampage before being taken down.  I got GTA V over the winter break only because we all have a friend who is obsessed with the online. 

The online is OK, but there's a lot of bad jank and glitching/falling through the world when doing 4 player missions.  I actually had the most fun when I did some of the "transformer" races where the different checkpoints turned the vehicle you're driving into another vehicle, so you'd end up driving a car, bike, airplane heli, and jetskis. 

It's definitely the best playing GTA I can remember.  I haven't played enough of the single player to really comment on it, though.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 11:51:11 PM »
Having played other GTA games, I mostly just sandboxed.

The story mode in GTAV is really good though. I'd love to play a game that was as intricate and filled as GTAV but had dungeons like Zelda. If I ever was in charge of a game studio I'd make a sweet ass Mach Rider game. Mad Max was similar to this in a lot of ways. It sort of was a game I always wanted to play. I'd really love a modern twist on Body Harvest.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 02:37:16 PM »
So when is the Switch Edition? with all the DLC and online included?

surely that will push it over the $100M mark on the double/triple/quad dippers alone, not to mention the 1st timers on top of that.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 09:06:50 PM »
If they put it on Switch, it would easily hit 100 million. However, that's going to happen by the end of the year anyway (either situation).

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2018, 03:52:03 PM »
I think the problem with a Switch version would be fitting all that data onto a game card, and it would also be a large download from the eShop. Isn't the game huge, data-wise? I guess they could skip some of the updates, but that may not be a good idea.

I don't think it's a power issue since the game is on the Xbox 360. Which is an option for me since I just got one, but it's a game that requires an install and uses a lot of space, so I guess that's out the window...

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 11:25:43 PM »
It was a two-disc game on 360 and I think it *required* a hard drive. Not so much a problem now (USB drive support got patched in) but potentially a problem on Switch.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2018, 01:46:56 PM »
The real star of the GTA series is the talk radio stations.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2018, 02:04:21 PM »
It was a two-disc game on 360 and I think it *required* a hard drive. Not so much a problem now (USB drive support got patched in) but potentially a problem on Switch.
Yeah, that's what I was referring to when I looked it up. An 8 GB install on one disc, and the other disc also has 8 GB if people choose to install it as well. I didn't look into how much more data any updates added, though.

Though, there are already a number of Switch games with more than 16 GB, including some that require a download for the full content.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2018, 08:38:15 PM »
I would imagine a Switch port would require installation too, but a 16GB cart would fit the full game.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2018, 04:07:21 AM »
I don't know. A lot of Switch games do require extra storage, however the seek time for cartridges is comparable to that of a hard drive. The game takes up about 64 GB on an HDD. Which seems like a bit much for what it is. 64 GB carts are coming soon though in 2019 according to the news I read. Though, I think GTAV doesn't read from the disc ever, except maybe some of the installation.

Maybe they can use 32 GB cart, and have a 32 GB download? Or they can just streamline the redundancy out of the file use and make the game a ton smaller. AC4's map is bigger than GTA5s. That was on Wii U

Maybe it'd be easier to just make a special GTA: Switch? A different game. I'd rush out and buy that. Some new city?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 04:11:46 AM by ThePerm »

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2018, 02:43:52 PM »
Maybe it'd be easier to just make a special GTA: Switch? A different game. I'd rush out and buy that. Some new city?

I'd like to think we're past the era of "special game for Nintendo users".  Usually we got the inferior product while the "real" game went to Sony and MS.  Third party exclusives is 2001 style thinking and it took Nintendo way to long to learn that.  In the present day third parties want to make one game for every platform so the Switch should be included in that.  The exclusives that make a console unique are first party.

I would want Nintendo to be able to get whatever the other systems get for GTA (ie: the inevitable GTA VI).  The portability of the Switch gives it an edge in multi-platform games since there are those that will put up with slightly weaker graphics or frame rate to be able to play the game on the go.

If storage space is an issue then perhaps Nintendo needs to figure out a solution for that.  Maybe a later Switch revision needs more built-in space or as the years go by cartridge size increase as the tech gets cheaper.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2018, 03:41:27 PM »
I started playing GTA Vice City recently and man that game has style. Like the whole "this game is set in the 80s and we're damn proud of it" thing really helps this game.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2018, 08:52:24 PM »
The game is so massive on other consoles (like Doom) because there are a ton of patches and DLC that just get added on to old files, rather than replacing them, at least that's often than case with games. You can download just the latest patch if you just got the game, or you can have a series of patches if you've had it for a while. The game has a huge install on consoles also because a lot of data is streamed from the disc at the same time data is loaded from the HDD.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2018, 10:38:23 PM »
It's sick!

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2018, 10:01:30 PM »

I'd like to think we're past the era of "special game for Nintendo users".  Usually we got the inferior product while the "real" game went to Sony and MS.  Third party exclusives is 2001 style thinking and it took Nintendo way to long to learn that.  In the present day third parties want to make one game for every platform so the Switch should be included in that.  The exclusives that make a console unique are first party.

I would want Nintendo to be able to get whatever the other systems get for GTA (ie: the inevitable GTA VI).  The portability of the Switch gives it an edge in multi-platform games since there are those that will put up with slightly weaker graphics or frame rate to be able to play the game on the go.

If storage space is an issue then perhaps Nintendo needs to figure out a solution for that.  Maybe a later Switch revision needs more built-in space or as the years go by cartridge size increase as the tech gets cheaper.

Having played GTAV I can say that a lot of space issues have more to do with data inefficiency.

The thing about having an Exclusive designed for Switch port is they could probably make a better game. GTAV has been out for quite a while, so it lacks some newness, but getting GTA on a portable is imperative. I think this might be one of those cases where it would be more efficient to make a new game than to port it. You could make a port, but I see lots of issues with this just from a time perspective.

Though, they could also re-make the game more efficiently. It's complicated. I wonder how many redundant files are in GTAV. The game doesn't seem like it should be significantly larger than Black Flag in size. Also, from an experience of playing games, it's basically Shenmue times 8 on a better engine. If Sega made the same game it would probably be 30 GB. Nintendo already made a few bigger games with less space used.

One thing to look into would be putting GTAV on the back burner and making HD remakes of GTA3, GTA:Vice City, and GTA San Andreas. They look like garbage today and could use some polish. Also, A lot of people have Called for a better version of GTAIV.  GTAIV only requires 18 GB of space.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 10:18:13 PM by ThePerm »

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2018, 10:30:36 PM »
If they do an original game I suspect it will be a sequel to Vice City. The whole 80's aethstetic those games have will allow them to make a more attractive game than GTA5 even on the Switch, and it allows them to revisit Vice City (which fans are pretty eager to do) while keeping the "mainline" GTA games in that modern day setting which they seem pretty fond of these days.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2018, 09:17:26 PM »
Just saw a few articles about this game - it's the single most profitable piece of entertainment in history. $6 billion.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2018, 06:06:02 PM »
Does that mean games are officially art now?

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2018, 07:06:04 PM »
Nope. Just business.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline segagamersteph

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2018, 11:29:07 PM »
I have never played any GTA games for more than ten minutes before I got bored. Even if this came to Switch I would pass.
I think the only way I would get into GTA is GTA VR.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2018, 05:11:22 AM »
GTAV has a first person mode, which I suppose you could use the psvr with.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2018, 08:33:07 AM »
It would sell 5 million on switch.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2018, 02:36:45 PM »
I'd (probably) buy it.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2018, 11:19:48 AM »
Update: over 100 million copies sold now.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2018, 07:11:32 PM »
This still blows my mind.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2018, 08:10:52 PM »
I'll never understand why Yet Another Generic Open World Crime Game sold that well.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2018, 12:07:14 PM »
Because it's not generic? Admittedly my copy is still sealed in the box, after 4 years now...

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2019, 11:15:37 AM »
Calling GTA a "Yet Another. . ." is pretty unfair.  It's the marquee series in that genre.  This isn't some no name dev just throwing together a halfhearted, digital-only release.

Plus, didn't they go all out with the story on this one?

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2019, 01:30:30 PM »
Calling GTA a "Yet Another. . ." is pretty unfair.  It's the marquee series in that genre.  This isn't some no name dev just throwing together a halfhearted, digital-only release.

Plus, didn't they go all out with the story on this one?

Yeah...that feels akin to calling Godfather "just another gangster movie".  GTA hasn't usually been my thing, but that series has always been a pace car for the open world genre in a lot of ways.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2019, 04:33:19 PM »
Maybe this will come to the Switch. Since Switch has attractive boobies.