Author Topic: What is your most recent gaming purchase?  (Read 760219 times)

Offline segagamersteph

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
Re: What is your most recent gaming purchase?
« Reply #2250 on: May 07, 2018, 11:25:03 PM »
I sold most of my consoles before I moved so I am stuck with my laptop and the Switch for now. I can't get the dock for the Switch set up to charge it so I am limited to just the laptop as the battery died on me.

I picked up 4 Star Wars games over the weekend as part of the Star Wars Day sale on GOG.com. I got Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2, Rogue Squadron and Shadows of the Empire for $12. I figured what the hell might as well.

I also picked up Minecraft PC version. I guess it's actually JAVA version, I thought I was buying the Windows 10 version but I am confused how this works I never did find the Windows download link so I guess I am stuck with the java one for now.

I spent several hours recovering my Origin, Steam and Guild Wars accounts so I could get to my digital games. I have Sims 3 and Syndicate on Origin and MorrowWind, AVGN Adventures and New Vegas on steam so that's all the gaming I have access to at this time. I logged into Guild Wars but it wasn't doing much for me.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2251 on: May 15, 2018, 08:23:41 PM »
Amazon's running a sale on microSD cards today, which prompted me to check how much space I had left on my 200 GB card. I was very alarmed to see I only had 150 MB free, so I bit the bullet and got myself an upgrade to a 400 GB card. They don't currently make them any bigger than that, so hopefully I won't fill up the next 200 GB quite so fast.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #2252 on: May 16, 2018, 11:42:38 PM »
Picked up Battle Chef Brigade with it on Sale for switch right now (30% off).  Got it for my wife as she loves match 3 games, but I think I'll give it a test run first to see if any other part of it might be too difficult.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2253 on: May 17, 2018, 12:45:26 AM »
Picked up Fire Emblem Echoes for cheap (<20$) along with some comics.

Tried to play it for a bit but apparently my 3DS's battery dies in less than ten minutes now. I really should finish all games i have on this thing before it completely craps out... And i have like dozens of carts alone not counting digital games on it i haven't even started... And i still plan to get Luigi Mansion 1 too...
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Michie_

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2254 on: June 02, 2018, 06:46:42 PM »
It's been a while since my last post:

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #2255 on: June 02, 2018, 07:13:37 PM »
Wow quite a pile! You got some bonafide classics in there too. Lost Kingdoms II is so much better than the original. Phantasy Star Online III is another great card-rpg. Meteos is a classic of course, and 1080 Avalanche is rather underrated in my opinion.

Which one are you gonna play first though? I'd have a hard time choosing haha.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2256 on: June 19, 2018, 01:12:53 PM »
Just got The Legend of Zelda Encyclopedia Delixe Edition today (the one that looks like the gold NES cartridge with the black Nintendo sleeve).

Pre-ordered the following:

1. Nintendo Switch Adjustable Charging Stand
2. Final Fantasy Ultimania Vol. 1
3. Final Fantasy Ultimania Vol. 2
4. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Creating a Champion
5. GameCube adapter (just in case)
6. Black GameCube Controller (just in case)

Clearly, I’m a dupe for official video game art books.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #2257 on: June 20, 2018, 12:53:01 AM »
Bought the Amazon Basics Switch Case for $3.91 as a bundle add-on. Its pretty solid build and the inside fits the switch perfectly. No wiggle room, and the sleeve w/ pockets for extra games is very nice. Glad I picked this up.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
    • View Profile
« Reply #2258 on: June 20, 2018, 11:16:00 AM »
Bought the Amazon Basics Switch Case for $3.91 as a bundle add-on. Its pretty solid build and the inside fits the switch perfectly. No wiggle room, and the sleeve w/ pockets for extra games is very nice. Glad I picked this up.

I've seen that one on sale off and on.  Glad to know it's sturdy/durable.  If we ever get a 2nd switch, i'll keep that one in mind.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #2259 on: June 30, 2018, 07:17:45 PM »
**** me.
Out of town the day NES Classic is re-released, and now every local store and (Canadian) online outlet is sold out. Again. Should have expected this... but it's still disappointing.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2260 on: July 01, 2018, 02:46:22 PM »
I was hunting for pink/green joy cons at Walmart as they had a flash sale offering them for $24. Didn't find any, but I did find two lowly NES Classics at my home Walmart. It was early morning and no one could find the person with the key for the case. While waiting a mom with three kids showed up and looked then left, got the manager I was waiting for that had been paged twice already...and we each got one. Glad there were two left, I cracked a joke about it with her, but just I knew there would have been a heated discussion if there was only one.

My Game Collection

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #2261 on: July 04, 2018, 01:37:35 PM »
Spent some time checking stores manually in case any unexpected sources might have had stock (either a return or unexpected restock) of NES Classic units.  No luck.  I'm going to write it off once again.  If Nintendo doesn't care to provide enough stock to last longer than half a day, I don't really care to run around, jump through hoops, and then pay a scalper silly rates.

On the upside, I found used copies of Freakyforms Deluxe (3DS, $15) and Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 (Vita, $20) at prices I considered pretty decent. The first game is something my kids really wanted to play, but simply isn't available anywhere in digital or physical format. Unsure if I'll keep the second game for my PSTV or not.

As for the money that would have been spent on the none-existent NES Classic, it went to buying Arkham Horror: The Card Game and some expansions. It's a pretty cool game based on Cthulhu lore, where you build a deck to represent your investigator and then try to solve unnatural mysteries while overcoming (or avoiding) various ancient evils.

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #2262 on: July 06, 2018, 10:38:24 AM »
I'm really chapped that they haven't flooded the shelves with the spare controllers for the NES classic.  That's the thing I was missing.  Was hoping I had snagged one off of Gamestop's website, but they cancelled my order after I thought I had gotten through.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2263 on: July 06, 2018, 02:56:10 PM »
Since I have both minis and extension cords, I'm not worrying about getting a second NES controller. I'll just use a SNES one. It has better ergonomics anyways.
My Game Collection

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #2264 on: July 06, 2018, 05:24:55 PM »
Also don't forget you can also use Wii Classic Controllers.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2265 on: July 06, 2018, 06:26:30 PM »
I have a Wii Classic Controller and the Pro version in a drawer, I should break those out and try them. I imagine the pro one would be better for longer gaming sessions of the Minis.

I think I'm bit with the Switch Kickstarter bug. I'm now backing two different Switch products. The Flip Grip for playing arcade games in the vertical display. I'm excited to try Pacman, Donkey Kong, and Ikaruga with it. Would be cool if The World Ends With You had a vertical mode to recreate the DS dual-screen style, but I highly doubt that would happen.

Now I backed GENKI, a wireless Bluetooth add-on that will allow up to two players to sync their Bluetooth headphones with very low latency. Sounds like they know what they are doing and already have working prototypes with all the functionality as headphones. They launched the kick-starter the day news broke of native voice chat support with Fortnite. They are working out the details and have three viable options they are exploring. The style is also slick as the sync buttons are colored like the different Joy Con colors (and you can pick customer colors as a Kickstarter exclusive!).

Both are prototyped and functional, and they are both shipping this October and are fully backed, so I'm pretty confident these will pan out well.
My Game Collection

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: July 20, 2018, 11:01:40 PM »
Toy R Us (Canada) website shows the NES Classic in stock at the moment. Ordered one, and keeping my fingers crossed it will actually arrive.  If it does, my next purchase will be an 8bitdo retro receiver compatible with my bluetooth controller.

Excited, but really hope this isn't another false positive result. (Keeping my fingers crossed, because it wouldn't be the first time I've ordered one of these units then had things fall through.)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: July 21, 2018, 04:03:42 AM »
I was in a Toys R Us last week to pick up the Splatoon Amiibo two pack of Pearl and Marina and they had about 7-8 of them in stock. Part of me was tempted to buy it since I'd never seen one in the wild before but as I've stated before, I've got no nostalgia for the NES nor do I care much for the games of that area either in their graphics or gameplay. I looked up just what was included in the NES Classic and that's just not a package worth $80 plus tax to me. (If it came with a zapper and Duck Hunt then I'd probably make the plunge and just get rid of the actual NES and few games for it that I do own.)

That said, if anyone is looking for these units, I'd be willing to help them out by purchasing one and sending it to them provided I get reimbursed the cost of the unit and postage. I just didn't think they were that hard to find but then I haven't been actively looking for one or keeping up with the news on them.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: July 21, 2018, 02:48:37 PM »
... I just didn't think they were that hard to find but then I haven't been actively looking for one or keeping up with the news on them.

Rarity is probably just a location thing - I'm in a pretty small town.
I'm also not sure if the games included will truly justify the purchase, but have a lot of nostalgia and think it's cool shelf swag at worst.

Although I'm not a fan of piracy, I might hack these to include digital copies of my NES games owned in other formats. Or not. Maybe the effort wouldn't be worthwhile, even though that would make it a much fuller "Best of NES" experience.

Related note: traded some old gaming stuff at home for an SNES Classic today, and then spent some time enjoying Yoshi's Island and Zelda: Link to the Past with my kids. Very excited to play with the little console, and keen to try Star Fox 2 in particular.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: July 23, 2018, 02:28:01 AM »
So I'm an idiot.  I just ordered a PS4 pro for Spider-Man.  I ordered a $550au system for one damn game.  This damn well better be an amazing game Insomniac.

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: July 23, 2018, 09:07:18 AM »
So I'm an idiot.  I just ordered a PS4 pro for Spider-Man.  I ordered a $550au system for one damn game.  This damn well better be an amazing game Insomniac.

Well, at least if it isn't then you've got a great exclusive backlog to dig into.  Let me know if you'd like any recommendations.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: July 23, 2018, 11:49:23 AM »
Take comfort from the fact that amount of money would only buy half a graphics card right now.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Shorty McNostril

• View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: July 23, 2018, 03:19:14 PM »
Well, at least if it isn't then you've got a great exclusive backlog to dig into.  Let me know if you'd like any recommendations.

Sadly the large majority of PS4 exclusives are brutal gorefests which I have no interest in.  I might end up with Uncharted, but I've seen playthroughs of those so not sure.  But Last of Us, God of War, Ghosts of Sushima (whatever it's called), Bloodbourne.....no thanks. 

I'll likely end up with Injustice 2 though. 

Take comfort from the fact that amount of money would only buy half a graphics card right now.

That's a coincidence.  Only three or four days ago I installed a shiny new GTX1080 which only cost me $100 more.  I also had one of the I7 8086Ks but ended up taking it back because I really didn't need the damn thing.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: July 23, 2018, 10:33:13 PM »
How the blazes did you get a 1080 for 650 au? The closest I'm at is 1Knz.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Shorty McNostril

• View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: July 24, 2018, 03:40:23 AM »
Techincally it was $670 but close enough.  I jumped on an online deal from PC Case Gear. Not sure if you're familiar with them.

I only ever planned on getting a 1070 but when I saw the 1080 at that price I jumped on it immediately for painfully obvious reasons.