Author Topic: Happy 8th Birthday, Nintendo World Report  (Read 6324 times)

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • WindyMan's Roller Derby Notes
Happy 8th Birthday, Nintendo World Report
« on: March 16, 2007, 07:10:06 PM »
Yep, we're eight years old now.  What were our past successes? What does our future hold?  A letter from the director awaits you.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=13154

March 7 is a very special date around these parts.  It's the day when we take a look at ourselves and realize that we've been around another year.  Yep, it's our birthday.  Unlike the last couple of bashes, however, this one isn't celebrating the birthday of Planet GameCube.  If you've been following the site for a while you'll know that we only recently changed our name (and our look) to Nintendo World Report.  The history of this site goes all the way back to 1999, which officially makes us eight years old.    

(Okay, so today isn't exactly our birthday.  It was actually last week, so we're a  bit late with it.  Then again, there were more important things to attend to, so I hope you can forgive us for keeping the cake in the refrigerator for a few extra days.)    

In the weeks leading up to our birthday, I wondered about the best way to celebrate it.  In talking with our Reviews Editor (and former Director) Jonathan Metts, he suggested that we take a look back at some of the highlights of the site's history.  I agreed.  After all, a lot of our new readers may not know how we got to where we are today.  Plus, it's always fun to take a trip down memory lane.    

I suppose the best place to start would be the beginning.  This is what the site looked like in 1999 back when we were known as PlanetN2000, and Billy Berghammer was running the show.  Though we were a startup fansite back then, our community grew quickly thanks in part to the interaction we offered our readers, like regular trivia competitions and mailbag updates, two things we still do today.    

After Nintendo revealed that the name of their new system would be GameCube, we changed our name accordingly.  Here's what we looked like in 2001.  Right away we made our new name known by scoring a major coup; we were the first to reveal the GameCube's logo.  Planet GameCube immediately became known for its tough reviews, our first one being the 7.5 we gave Super Mario Advance.  (A week later, it got a 6.5 in a second review.)    

The next year, we started a new trend in the online gaming journalism field.  After E3 2002, we produced a DVD set of the show.  It wasn't just any show; it was the monumental year when Nintendo brought Mario Sunshine, Metroid Prime and Zelda: Wind Waker to the same event.  We had video of all of them, as well as the Nintendo press conference.  We put that footage on to the DVD and sold a lot them.  The other major gaming sites took notice and started offering E3 DVDs of their own the following years.  And they didn't even thank us for the idea!    

(On a related note, former staffer Adam Kontras, who produced the DVD for us, has moved on to bigger and better things, working for CBSnews.com ... and he might be going bigger than that in the near future.)    

As the years ticked by and as our purple facade gained more recognition, something strange happened.  Microsoft invited us to come up to their Redmond offices to test drive their new Xbox system, specifically Billy.  Why would they invite the head of a major Nintendo video game site to try out the Xbox?  According to MS, we were “a pillar in the gaming community," that's why.  Billy being Billy, he convinced Microsoft to let him stay in Redmond for a few extra days to visit a friend.  That turned out to be our first visit to Nintendo of America, and most certainly not our last.    

Eventually the site's reputation became so big that Game Informer Magazine took notice and offered Billy the managing editor job for their website.  He (reluctantly) accepted, and left PGC in the capable hands of the aforementioned Jonny Metts.    

At E3 2004, we were the first to break the name and logo of the Nintendo DS.  I remember Jonny calling Billy after this happened, leaving a simple voicemail of “logo get!"  Billy remembered the GameCube logo exclusive well, and seeing as he was crazy about importing Super Mario Sunshine we figured that was all he needed to understand that we were doing just fine without him.  He got the message.    

Between then and now, we toughed out the GameCube drought and continued to provide news and review coverage of anything we could get our hands on.  The launch of the DS marked the start of a new era of Nintendo's history.  As the Revolution train started gaining steam, we switched gears and put the majority of our effort into bring you any news we could find, including the true name of the console.  (That was sure an epic talkback thread, wasn't it?)    

With the Wii launch on the horizon, we had to make some changes.  We changed directors.  We changed our name.  We changed our look.  But you know what?  The more things change, the more they stay the same.    

Planet GameCube was the best, and Nintendo World Report is still the best Nintendo news and information site on the Internet.  You know why that is?  It's because of you.  You, dear reader, are why we've only been growing during the past eight years, and why we will continue to grow in the future.  You keep coming back for our news, our reviews, our Radio Free Nintendo podcast, our Virtual Console Mondays news feature and our wall-to-wall events coverage.  We thank you for that.    

But as I look back on the stuff we've done in the past (and will continue to do, of course), I can't help but be nagged by a personal belief of mine.  I believe that although one should respect his past, one must understand that it is in the past.  In other words, all that we've done in the past eight years, while important to us, is not as important to where we are now and where we're going in the future.    

So here's the deal.  I personally want to recommit ourselves to being the best Nintendo site out there, starting now.  We're still going to bring you the news, reviews and other stuff you've come to expect from us, but from this point forward we're going to leave no stone unturned.    

Our preview coverage has been lacking recently, but no more.  We're going to take previews as seriously as we do the news—we're going to give you the straight skinny on upcoming games, without bias or opinion.  Games should not be overhyped or criticized before they are released, so we won't do either.  We'll just tell you what to expect from a game by telling you what's in it, and nothing more.  That's our preview philosophy, and you're going to see a lot more of it in the near future.    

Additionally, original content is the real reason people come back to a website.  While we've got plenty of it already, we're not satisfied with what we have.  GameCube Tribute Week and our massive Greatest GameCube Games list is just the start the special features you'll see us bring you in the future.  No one knows Nintendo, and all of video games, like we do.  Just wait until you see what we've got up our sleeves.    

And finally, I just want to say that our staff is ready to take on this challenge.  This recommitment to excellence on the outside is being accompanied by a reorganization on the inside, meant to streamline our operations and make it easier for us to bring you the information you want.  There's a lot to do behind the scenes, and now that we're better prepared to take on the increased workload we can't wait to take on the challenge.    

2007, our ninth year, is going to be an interesting one.  It'll be interesting for Nintendo, interesting for the entire video game industry, and interesting for this site.  Why don't you stick with us so we can experience it together?

Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Washed-up Former NWR Director

Respect the power of the wind.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
RE:Happy 8th Birthday, Nintendo World Report
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 06:39:16 PM »
PN2k...... oh what memories
and PGC.... not sure if I remember that one, but I'm sure it was great none the less.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 06:40:04 PM »
did I just post in the past?

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 07:05:56 PM »

Originally posted by: BlackNMild2k1
did I just post in the past?

’Tis some kind of sorcery...

Heretic, heretic, burn him, burn him!

EDIT: Oh no, it's spreading!
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
    • View Profile
    • WindyMan's Roller Derby Notes
RE: Happy 8th Birthday, Nintendo World Report
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 07:10:54 PM »
Okay, that was kind of strange.  I must have messed up the timing.
Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Washed-up Former NWR Director

Respect the power of the wind.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 07:26:47 PM »
Or perhaps, on the celebration of the anniversary of the esteemed website, dark forces conspire and the very fabric of time is ripped asunder!

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 07:28:43 PM »

Originally posted by: WindyMan
Okay, that was kind of strange.  I must have messed up the timing.

So you guys weren't content to just post this notice a week after the birthday, but you had to actually go into the future to post it even an hour later than the current time?.... now that's just diabolical.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 08:15:30 PM »
Thanks for making me feel old again and Happy Birthday!

So what does that make you guys in web years? 35? 50?

The time thing might have something to do with daylight saving over here, maybe. *Scared*
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Jome20

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 09:51:26 PM »
Happy 8th Birthday PlanetN2000/PGC/NWR!   It's hard to believe it's been 8 years since that crazy Flash Animation Intro with Mario and the Earth.  Crazy enough that I've been through it all with you guys for the past 8 years, yet probably wouldn't be recognized on the message boards (which I didn't join until quite a few years later).  Nowadays and in years past there have been several Nintendo and videogame websites available to surf.  Yet you guys stood out to me and remain one of the only sites I have continued to go to all these years.  I think it was the fact that you constantly updated your site during the day unlike newspapers or larger web sites that have a specific cutoff / publishing time.  With you guys I didn't have to wait until like 8:00 or 9:00pm in the evening just to get my gaming news.  I'd find out about new stuff much earlier in the day.  And I really loved that about you guys.  Your solid reviews, constant mail-bag updates, clever writing, Editorials and Rumormill (long live Louie teh Cat) separated you from several other sites and kept me interested and coming back each day for more.  In the years, we've all grown and changed but you've stayed consistent and continued to work hard and be unique.  Your Radio-Free Nintendo podcasts have become a great new addition to your site and I look forward to great new content in the future.

Congratulations on making it to 8 years old, during an era where so many .COM businesses / sites went under.  I think your hard work, fresh style, and excellent content has led you to this point.

Here's to another 8 years and then some! To the staff, keep up the great work!  I think I can speak for everyone when I say we really do appreciate the time and effort you guys take to giving us our Nintendo news, reviews, and other content.  Thanks again for 8 glorious years!

- Jome20 ~ Jeff

PS: Do you still have that old Flash Animation that you guys used to start the PlanetN2000 site with?  I'd LOVE to see it again for old times sake!
I'm a student at DigiPen Institute of Technology, where I work on designing games and hope to do that for a living.  

Offline WPack911

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 10:25:49 PM »
Happy 8th Birthday NWR, you all have been the best Nintendo site anybody could ever ask for.  Here's to the future because it only looks brighter for this fine site.

-WPack911  
Does Nintendo Still rule after all these years?  Maybe now more then ever.

Offline q33

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2007, 12:36:41 AM »
8 years? Amazing. The retrospective is a nice touch (it made me realize I've been reading this site for over 5 years. Scary.  )

Anyway, congrats, and good luck in the future.

Oh, and I'm curious about that flash animation Jome mentioned. Anyone have a link?

Offline Ages

• Wii the People
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2007, 06:04:39 AM »
"Welcome to the Page!

First off I guess I should introduce myself. My name is Billy Berghammer. I am a 26-year-old video game junkie. I decided to create this site, actually out of boredom. I recently lost my job, and had some time on my hands. I used to write for an extremely well put together Nintendo 64 web site called The Unofficial Nintendo 64 Headquarters. This page is in no part trying to emulate the success of that web site, but if it accomplishes 1/100th of it’s success I would be very proud."

I can't imagine how Billy must feel today
Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you n

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2007, 06:16:52 AM »
Happy Birthday!!

awesome, so many memories.... I actually got hooked and started reading old articles xD... I remembered some, but had forgot about most :/

I still miss the staff¿s comments from the news/articles....
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline Jome20

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2007, 07:38:38 AM »
Yeah the Staff Comments were great!  Sometimes they were pretty insightful and other times they were just plain goofy.  Although we don't have the Staff Comments anymore... that's sorta been replaced by the "Talk Back" section.  Where the staff and readers can comment on the article (like what I'm doing now :P)

What happened to Billy? Hopefully all is well...
I'm a student at DigiPen Institute of Technology, where I work on designing games and hope to do that for a living.  

Offline Karl Castaneda #2

• Staff Clone
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2007, 07:43:43 AM »
If you're interested in how Billy's doing, listen to Radio Free Nintendo: Episode 25. He's on it.
I am Karl Castaneda's news-posting clone, also known as Karl Castaneda #2. I have an inferiority complex, thanks to my being a clone. Fear me!

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2007, 08:15:43 AM »
Billy just did an awesome interview with Koji Kondo.

http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200703/N07.0316.1031.20062.htm

How do you think he's doing?  :-D
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Berto2K

• This could be you, at E3.
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2007, 06:59:33 PM »
Happy 8th everyone!  I think I have been here since 2000, so its 7 for me.  

re: Billy, I ran into him a few times at GDC.  Always good to sit and chat with him.
Pietriots, we roll out to get the lol out.

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2007, 07:30:13 PM »
Not that this is really on topic, but that Kondo interview really underlines that Nintendo cares first and foremost about its gameplay experience.  Sound isn't considered by itself, and they don't really care if third parties want a feature (just like w/ the fans) because they have their own goals.  I think the interview also suggests that Nintendo may not have really even COSTED digital audio out, because Nintendo's sound team didn't care about it to begin with.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2007, 12:06:00 PM »
Congratulations NWR, may we be lucky enough to continue coming to this hell, a good hell that is.

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2007, 02:43:51 PM »
Happy belated birthday PN2k/PGC/NWR.

I do this every year, but this one's for you

Keep on truckin'!
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2007, 04:53:56 PM »
Whoops, I missed the big day because I was out of town...Oh well, birthdays suck anyway, am I right? =D
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2007, 07:20:42 AM »
So, any wacky, out there contest this year, guys?

I wanna win something, dammit!
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer