Author Topic: Sony Blackballs/Blacklists Kotaku.com  (Read 7722 times)

Offline WPack911

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Sony Blackballs/Blacklists Kotaku.com
« on: March 01, 2007, 10:11:44 AM »
Today is a sad day for me personally and for indeed all of gaming and gaming journalism.  Today Kotaku.com one the leading if not the lead Gaming news blog site was blackballed by Sony for reporting a supposed "rumor" that now is  almost confirmed by Sony's fool actions.   In case you do not  know what it is to blackball someone or in this case a website, it mean basically they are dead to you, and do not only not invite you to events, but also not even send you basic press releases.  Kotaku being truly noble in all regards with this still this vows to report on Sony as best they can and not do what some many others may have and shun Sony back and become a hater, they would be justified in my eyes to this, but they have instead decided to be the better men and will continue to do the best they can.

This just illustrates the black-hearted and classless method's that Sony is going to to try to bully the industry, I own a PS2 and love it, but no amount of product can make up for a company that is behaving like a dictator to the gaming community.  You don't know own the me Sony and you do not own gaming journalism.  I ask you good people to stand up and spread this news like a wild fire all over the net, get other's to stand against this clear violation of common business practice by Sony.  I ask this regardless of how much you like or dislike Sony now or in the past, no one controls the news NO ONE this is freedom of the press being oppressed this is one thing no person can allow.

Below is the entire story, please join me in helping keep gaming Journalism free:
http://kotaku.com/gaming/top/sony-blackballs-kotaku-240860.php

Sincerely,
Andrew "WPack911" Peterson
Does Nintendo Still rule after all these years?  Maybe now more then ever.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
RE: Sony Blackballs/Blacklists Kotaku.com
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 10:14:45 AM »
Right-on.

Keep hope alive, brother.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
RE:Sony Blackballs/Blacklists Kotaku.com
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 10:26:06 AM »

(For those who want a clickable link)

Sony's PR machine does it again, although this time it wasn't even a import seller. Really, Sony should be going after the leak if they don't want news to come out early, not the ones who are publishing said stories to the public.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline GioGio

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 10:41:05 AM »
I'm not a fan of Kotaku, but dang.

This will probably hurt Sony more than some rumor.

Offline WPack911

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 10:41:47 AM »

Originally posted by: Arbok

(For those who want a clickable link)

Sony's PR machine does it again, although this time it wasn't even a import seller. Really, Sony should be going after the leak if they don't want news to come out early, not the ones who are publishing said stories to the public.

I agree, thanks for making the link clickable.

-WPack911

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 10:45:46 AM »
Wow.... I guess this confirms that Sony is stealing BOTH XBox360's Liva Achievements system AND Nintendo's Miis and putting them into an Animal Crossing-esque "Home" where their 3D avatar(Mii) can decorate the place with trophies(achievements)... all accessed via some online version of a channel?

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 10:46:32 AM »
BTW, This is a pretty dumb move by Sony.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 11:03:17 AM »
I don't think Sony is doing anything "wrong" here, persay.  They did Kotaku special favors by giving them pre-release product, exclusive interviews, etc.  In exchange, they asked Kotaku to keep mum on this one particular issue.  Kotaku didn't, so Sony is just going to stop doing them special favors.  Stupid?  Yes.  Wrong... not really.  In fact, one could say it's for the best - Gaming sites have been pretty much taking "bribes" for too long from the major developers....
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2007, 11:04:25 AM »
Bad for Sony, good for integrity? LOL

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline GioGio

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007, 11:26:52 AM »

Originally posted by: UncleBob
I don't think Sony is doing anything "wrong" here, persay.  They did Kotaku special favors by giving them pre-release product, exclusive interviews, etc.  In exchange, they asked Kotaku to keep mum on this one particular issue.  Kotaku didn't, so Sony is just going to stop doing them special favors.  Stupid?  Yes.  Wrong... not really.  In fact, one could say it's for the best - Gaming sites have been pretty much taking "bribes" for too long from the major developers....

Meh, you have a point there.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2007, 11:30:59 AM »
It's hard to say what's right and wrong in video game journalism.  Sony handled the whole the wrong in my opinion.  Instead of giving Kotaku a beneficial reason for holding the rumor back, they threatened them and got what they deserved.  If I were Sony, I would have said congrats on finding this story, then offered them a fancy exclusive come Tuesday in exchange for them not publishing it yet.  Say, they tell Kotaku that they will get the first exclusive screens of the feature, or something like that.

I bet Crecente would have taken such a deal, but maybe not.  Some may argue that just that practice alone goes against what journalism is supposed to be.  Who knows.  
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2007, 11:33:48 AM »
No ones saying what Sony did was wrong. We're saying what they did was dumb beyond belief.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2007, 11:34:32 AM »

Originally posted by: UncleBob
They did Kotaku special favors by giving them pre-release product, exclusive interviews, etc.

Don't kid yourself. It's called marketing: the firm was paying next to nothing, just manufactured hand outs for review and interviews, in exchange for advertising to potentional customers. They are fighting for "share of voice" for their products on a service that covers everyone.

All Kotaku is required to do is keep those site numbers up, so Sony sees that it's a worthwhile investment, and considering they were up to interview Phil Harrison it's quite clear that Kotaku was keeping their readership very high.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2007, 11:39:38 AM »
For Kotaku, posting the roomer was business as usual.

For Sony, blacklisting is just an end to the media favors, as mentioned.  It was a desperate reaction to their failure to control the timing and quantity of info/publicity they had been scheming (otherwise it's just a lousy way to react to UNOFFICIAL INFORMATION).  They had a nice supply line running, with Kotaku at the receiving end.  They noticed a package they thought Kotaku should not have, had an anxiety-filled bowel movement, and eventually burned the supply bridge.

And all this time, the problem wasn't the recipient, it was the underground railroad Sony failed to notice.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2007, 11:40:44 AM »
Yep,  I have to agree with UncleBob.  Receiving press releases, special interviews, review copies, etc. is a privilege not a right.  If it was a right we would all get a press pass for the free games, advance info, and debug units.

That being said, what Sony did was a little overboard.  I could see them taking away the interviews because those were relatively special but dis-inviting people from general press events.  Thats a little harsh.  They never signed an NDA about the information that we know of so the consequences should be in line with that.  A slap on the wrist not a spanking.

Now if Sony would have pulled the same thing they did with Lik Sang and legally went after the sight for running the story that was clearly stated as rumor.  I would take a major problem with it.  That would be unconstitutional here in the States.  But I'm sure they find some place in the world where it wasn't since it can be read anywhere.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2007, 12:01:37 PM »
Wow. Unbelievable. It seems that Sony has a hard-on to quash the little people. First Lik-Sang, now this.

I don't know what was happening in SCEA's headquarters. I wouldn't doubt that they are doing internal investigations on who leaked the rumor,torturing said person and implement tightened restrictions. All this just for a rumor? Its sad...
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2007, 12:01:37 PM »

Originally posted by: Ceric
Receiving press releases, special interviews, review copies, etc. is a privilege not a right.

Take a marketing class, any marketing class that involves press releases. One of the first things you will learn is that your objective as a PR employee is to get those press releases in as many hands as possible that will publish them. You are expected to deliever hard copies to many traditional outlets and others... so doing something like this for a website is pretty much reduced to a name on a never ending "send out" list for mass e-mails. Which costs them next to nothing, except to keep a updated contact list which their PR department should be doing anyway.

Some people need to stop acting like Sony wasn't getting something out of this. It was a two way deal, both sides had something to gain. Sony decided to stop doing business with them, understandable although stupid, but they weren't just dropping off exclusives and review items out of "kindness" or to show "appreciation" or some other tribe like that. Kotaku and any other news outlet has to work to get those exlusives through giving the firm a high user ratio that will be exposed to whatever product Sony wants to promote. If this was some dinky website with a pitiful readership, then maybe I could understand that type of rhetoric as Sony would really be doing them a favor; however, that's not the case. They are a established website and are given content by companies in exchange for promotion. Period.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2007, 12:10:46 PM »
UPDATE: They kissed and made up.

There you go. Run with it people!  
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2007, 01:25:17 PM »
Outside of the retarded white nosie that come out of every exec, this has got to be some of the most stupidest thing Sony has done for quite a while.

Regardless of how they have made up, the damage is done. They played chicken and Sony drove off the cliff. Their PR department has once again, for negative gain, gone something so obviously bad that anyone else would have laughed for even suggesting it. I mean as far as PR goes, does anyone there have any knowledge in Pyhciology or international dipolmactic relations? I mean damn.

This should make for some good podcast material.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline WPack911

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2007, 02:18:06 PM »

Originally posted by: oohhboy
Outside of the retarded white nosie that come out of every exec, this has got to be some of the most stupidest thing Sony has done for quite a while.

Regardless of how they have made up, the damage is done. They played chicken and Sony drove off the cliff. Their PR department has once again, for negative gain, gone something so obviously bad that anyone else would have laughed for even suggesting it. I mean as far as PR goes, does anyone there have any knowledge in Pyhciology or international dipolmactic relations? I mean damn.

This should make for some good podcast material.

Yes, please talk about this on the podcast guys please.

-WPack911

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2007, 02:32:40 PM »

Originally posted by: Arbok

Originally posted by: Ceric
Receiving press releases, special interviews, review copies, etc. is a privilege not a right.

Take a marketing class, any marketing class that involves press releases. One of the first things you will learn is that your objective as a PR employee is to get those press releases in as many hands as possible that will publish them. You are expected to deliever hard copies to many traditional outlets and others... so doing something like this for a website is pretty much reduced to a name on a never ending "send out" list for mass e-mails. Which costs them next to nothing, except to keep a updated contact list which their PR department should be doing anyway.

Some people need to stop acting like Sony wasn't getting something out of this. It was a two way deal, both sides had something to gain. Sony decided to stop doing business with them, understandable although stupid, but they weren't just dropping off exclusives and review items out of "kindness" or to show "appreciation" or some other tribe like that. Kotaku and any other news outlet has to work to get those exlusives through giving the firm a high user ratio that will be exposed to whatever product Sony wants to promote. If this was some dinky website with a pitiful readership, then maybe I could understand that type of rhetoric as Sony would really be doing them a favor; however, that's not the case. They are a established website and are given content by companies in exchange for promotion. Period.

Please point out where I stated the Sony wasn't getting anything out of that relationship?
Still Waiting...
No where, huh.

My point with the whole thing was that sites getting press releases and advanced copies seemed to be in a lot of peoples opinion the sites God given right.  Which is wrong.

Sony will do what they believe will reap them the most benefit.  If that means finding a way to say pull an exclusive from Kotaku and give it to IGN then they'll do it.  Their is plenty of risk in giving out information.  If you can't trust a source to be able to handle the information in a way you deem most beneficial for you, like not releasing it early (Think Wiimote being announced 2 years before Wii release.)  Then you might consider that enough of a liability that even the "free" press that the might be giving you wouldn't be free enough.

Glad they made up.  Though someone should really just fire everyone in there PR department for Videogames and ban all the execs from making non cut and dry speeches.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2007, 02:48:06 PM »
Did Sony get something out of giving Kotaku handouts?  Yeah.  But really, nothing Sony couldn't get out of just about any gaming site they wanted to give all their freebies out to.  Well, any site except alliwantforxmasisapsp.com.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2007, 03:03:31 PM »
When Sony stops giving NWR exclusives call me!
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2007, 03:05:34 PM »

Originally posted by: MaryJane
When Sony starts giving NWR exclusives call me!

The Apocalypse be upon us.
Mildew will kill us all.  

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2007, 05:54:25 PM »
I'm gonna laugh when everyone finds out that Sony got all defensive cause they didn't have anything planned that was nearly as good as what Kotaku posted as rumor, and they didn't want the PS3 fans to get all hyped up again for another HUGE letdown.