Author Topic: Nintendo Offers Wrist-Strap Replacement  (Read 7071 times)

Offline Rize

• Disgruntled
  • Score: -2
    • View Profile
Nintendo Offers Wrist-Strap Replacement
« on: December 14, 2006, 08:52:21 PM »
Numerous reports of failing straps cause Nintendo to issue free replacements.

It's been just shy of a month since Wii made its world-wide debut in North America, and the console seems to be doing quite well by standard measurements.  However, the launch has not been without its hic-ups.  A few software bugs in the form of an obscure Zelda show-stopper and slightly unstable firmware have manifested.  But most notably, the standard wrist-strap is reportedly snapping from time to time, causing isolated injuries to property.  Most reported incidents have occured during Wii Sports sessions, particularly tennis, baseball and bowling.  Some personal injuries have been reported, but these are primarily due to limbs colliding with nearby objects rather than strapless remotes colliding with people.    

In response to the failing strap problem, Nintendo is offering wrist-strap replacement to interested consumers.  Among other things, the form requires that you provide the serial number that is printed on the back of your Wii, and allows you to request up to 4 replacement straps.  The AP reports that the replacement program will cost Nintendo "several million dollars".  Nintendo claims that consoles shipping since early December already contain the beefed up strap.    

Comparison of Wii Remote Straps

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
RE: Nintendo Offers Wrist-Strap Replacement
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 12:27:06 AM »
The only question I have about this is, in a court of law (or in a Jury's eyes), would this not make Nintendo look guilty if someone were to sue for their older-style wrist strap breaking?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 12:42:39 AM »
Well they can claim that the strap is only intended to prevent falls and you would need to prove that the strap indeed broke while you were wearing it, etc.  They have a lot of outs I'm sure.  The voluntary recall means that you had an option to do something about it beyond this date too... I imagine you'd get an email if you registered your Wii (and if not oh well, up to you to keep up on your product info then)

My question.... Without me having to go into any spoiler ridden Zelda threads.  What the heck is the "obscure Zelda show-stopper?"  Or is the answer to that a spoiler (that would be bad).

I've not heard of the unstable firmware problems either.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 12:49:01 AM »
There are apparently points in Zelda where if you save, your game gets screwed...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline 18 Days

• ~*LiL AnGeL*~
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 12:54:28 AM »
Gunna start collecting them. Dad lost the wrist strap for his camera recently.
pietriots.com
Calenture

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2006, 01:01:45 AM »
I guess the public at wide aren't as lazy or as weak as most would have you think. Atleast in that right arm...
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:Nintendo Offers Wrist-Strap Replacement
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2006, 02:03:46 AM »

Originally posted by: UncleBob
There are apparently points in Zelda where if you save, your game gets screwed...

Really?  I'm assuming these are atypical breaking points and not the typical enter a dungeon for the first time and save breaking points.  Or for that matter when the game asks you if you want to save after clearing a temple.

Offline WPack911

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2006, 02:23:34 AM »
Just so everybody knows I saved the first time I entered a dungeon and quit there in most dungeon's and I also saved in everyone of the times they ask you if you want to and had absolutely no problems. So I don't think those places are the problem Shecky.

The problem might be more something like some people forgot to save, but could of sworn they did and they blame the game and if like 5 guys say that or agree we all of a sudden have a huge problem, what a load of BS.  Also, at most Nintendo will lose like 2 Mil off this a drop in the bucket to them.  They have made at least 100 times that on the Wii already for sure and will only make more and more as it goes on.  

Not to mention it's money well spent by Nintendo since now we don't have to hear about idiot's throwing their Wii Remote at their wall or TV anymore like a bunch of morons and then blaming the strap.  Now if somebody throws their Wii Remote like a idiot they have nobody to blame but themselves for not wearing the strap.

-WPack911  
Does Nintendo Still rule after all these years?  Maybe now more then ever.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2006, 02:26:40 AM »
The areas of trouble are really bizarre areas, like saving after bringing back the bridge to Kakariko Gorge and saving when you are in the cannon room with Shad blocking the doorway...(which IS beatable...Shad's avatar disappears, but you can still talk to him...)
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2006, 02:38:40 AM »
Free wrist straps?  I may as well do it, although I've had no problems myself.

I wonder if the save issues for Zelda also occur in the Cube version?
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2006, 03:55:19 AM »
I will stick with my original wrist straps in hopes they will become rare collectable items that I can sell for much dinero at some point in the future.

edit: Curses, the afro-man below has foiled my plans.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2006, 04:34:34 AM »
they send you a new one, doesnt mean you have to get rid of your old one.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2006, 04:35:11 AM »
I don't even use my 2 original wrist-strap, I toook them off, but I still requested 2 new wrist-straps because they will be for anyone else other than me, I trust myself well enough not to throw the controller at my HDTV.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2006, 04:43:36 AM »
Yeah I ordered four even though I probably won't change them out until the originals start looking worn.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2006, 04:45:51 AM »
Haha I beat NWR by 17 minutes..
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • WindyMan's Roller Derby Notes
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2006, 05:25:45 AM »
I ordered two!

(I only have one controller!)
Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Washed-up Former NWR Director

Respect the power of the wind.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2006, 06:18:15 AM »

Originally posted by: Caliban
I don't even use my 2 original wrist-strap, I toook them off, but I still requested 2 new wrist-straps because they will be for anyone else other than me, I trust myself well enough not to throw the controller at my HDTV.

Famous last words.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Rize

• Disgruntled
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2006, 06:40:52 AM »
I would have stuck with my existing straps, but when unpacking my extra controller using scissors, I accidentally cut through the strap right where it meets the controller.  I didn't realize it was already connected.  Stupid blister packs.  I had been trying to decide whether or not I should bug Nintendo for a replacement when this came along.  I went ahead and got two.  I don't want some zealous non-gamer (and I am letter many people try my Wii) to hurt something or someone.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2006, 06:45:20 AM »
I just realised.. that NWR watermark on the picture looks downright ugly.. especially compared to the old PGC one.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Rize

• Disgruntled
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2006, 06:48:56 AM »
I like it a lot more, it just looks bad on that picture because of the blue table the wiimotes are sitting on.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2006, 07:08:41 AM »
The old PGC watermark was a work of art.  This one is Serviceable and functional.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2006, 07:58:35 AM »
Seems kind of wrong to request more free straps than you have Wii Remotes, doesn't it?

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2006, 07:58:54 AM »
EDIT: Oops.  Seems kind of wrong to post twice within one minute, doesn't it?

Offline Faithinchaos

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2006, 08:19:21 AM »
So, is this still considered a real problem? I mean, I get sweaty hands as bad as the next guy (if not worse), but I have no fear of flinging this thing around. If I've ever had a problem with controllers, it isn't sweat, its the death grip I have with the fingers that are holding the controller. When I take breaks from gaming, I'll rub wipe my hands off on my pants or something, but its really a break to give the backs of my hands a rest because of how intense my grip is on the damn thing.

Seriously, Mythbusters needs to get up on this BS and show what kind of velocity this strap can actually withstand. Its strong. Or just a video of people slinging these things around like wild would suffice. Grrr its so stupid that this is either A) Fake news perpetuated by Nintendo's competition or B) Real news that people actually have been screwing up so bad that even the strap is not saving their epic fail.

Really - Nintendo? Send replacement straps with matching helmets... there are obviously more people with "special" needs than maybe first thought.

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2006, 08:19:48 AM »
I remain stunned that this issue has become what it is.