Gaming Forums > General Gaming

Backlaugust 2023! (Forums Aren't Dead Yet?) Edition

<< < (3/14) > >>

broodwars:
No participation from me this year, as I did my backlog diving a few months ago when I binged 3 Ys games (Celceta, Dana, & Monstrum Nox) in a row...twice...to 100% them. I doubt my Final Fantasy Mode playthrough (i.e. New Game+ Hard Mode) of FF 16 right now really counts. I plan on playing Tunic after that, which just came out on PS4/5 on physical disc.

Best of luck clearing out your backlogs.

Khushrenada:
Now you may be wondering from my previous post (since I know all anyone wants to do here is read my walls of text) just what all did buy to add 61 games to my backlog. It's your lucky day because I will tell you. First there's regret. Got my money's worth there. ;) But also the following:

Dsiware

Dragon Quest Wars
Mario vs Donkey Kong: Minis March Again!
Chronos Twins
Dark Void Zero
Escapee GO!
Extreme Hangman
Maestro! Green Groove
Rayman
Mighty Milky Way
Mighty Flip Champs!

3DS VC Games

Pokemon Crystal
Kirby's Dream Land
Kirby's Dream Land 2
Harvest Moon
Mega Man Xtreme
Mega Man Xtreme 2
Harvest Moon 3
Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge
Mega Man II
Mega Man III
Mega Man IV
Mega Man V

3DS eShop Games

Kirby Fighters Deluxe
Tank Troopers
Nintendo 3DS Guide: Louvre
Dillon's Dead-Heat Breakers
Weapon Shop de Omasse
Tokyo Crash Mobs
HarmoKnight
Dedede's Drum Dash Deluxe
The Denpa Men 3: The Rise of Digitoll
The Denpa Men 2: Beyond The Waves
The Denpa Men: They Came By Waves
VVVVVV
Fluidity:Spin Cycle
Ketzal's Corridors
Aero Porter
Kersploosh!
Liberation Maiden
Kirby's Blowout Blast
Xeodrifter
The Starship Damrey
Fire Emblem Fates: Revelation
Attack of the Friday Monsters! A Tokyo Tale
Sakura Samurai: Art of the Sword
Gurumin 3D: A Monstrous Adventure

3DS Streetpass Games

Slot Car Rivals
Market Crashers
Feed Mii
Mii Trek
Ninja Launchers

Wii U eShop Games

Affordable Space Adventures

Switch eShop Games

Baba is You
Shantae and the Seven Sirens
Bug Fables: The Everlasting Sapling

Switch Physical Games

Xenoblade Chronicles 3
It Takes Two
Bravely Default 2
Octopath Traveller 2
Crusin' Blast
Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Plus, there was some DLC for a few games. Woo-ee. It's hard to believe the 3DS eShop is gone. Still would regularly check in on it for so long. Still some titles I wonder if I should have picked up. (And that's the regret I was talking about earlier.  ;D ) As might be expected, there's a bunch of games from that list which I will be looking at tackling through for this month.

Ian Sane:
I'm still working through Tears of the Kingdom and I doubt that will be finished in August.  If it is then I'll go back to Shin Megami Tensei V where I appear to be near the end.  That game has been interrupted twice now, first by Pokemon and then Zelda.

I've tried to be disciplined with the Switch where I try to finish a game before I move to another one but I have not been so disciplined with sales so I have a big backlog of physical games that are still sitting sealed on my shelf.  A least half of them are RPGs, which of course means they're long games.  So even if I took the whole time off work I probably couldn't get through them within a month.  The dumbest move on my part was getting into the SMT franchise as I've also bought some games in the series for the 3DS and PS2.  When will I find time for those?

For me the ideal month for backlog clearing would be March.  Football season is over but the weather is still cold and rainy enough that I don't have a bunch of yard work to do.  Without even really trying to find I play videogames a lot during that time.

Khushrenada:
Well, allow me to draw first blood and get this month rolling.

Kirby's Dream Land - 3DS VC. I debated for most of the time when the 3DS eShop was open if I should bother buying the first couple Kirby Dream Land games especially the first since it's pretty short and nothing too special. Plus as it was deadline for the closure, at that point, the Switch GB app had already been announced making it seem further irrelevant to get. Yet, I also reasoned that, things could change in the future. Maybe there would be times were I didn't have access to the app or Nintendo shut it down and changed how they handled their older games. And the only other version I had of it was the port of it for Kirby's 25th Anniversary collection. I'd much rather just pull out my 3DS to play it then go through all the time of getting it loaded on the Wii U. I was also buying a few other Kirby games like Kirby's Blowout Blast and had a bunch of other Kirby VC games so I decided to add them and really make the 3DS a strong Kirby game machine for myself. And now that decision has paid off by allowing me to beat the game for Backlaugust this year. Everything works out for Khushrenada!  8) ;)

Playing it again, I reminded that I really don't know the game as well as I think I do. My main exposure to Kirby's Dream Land has been Kirby Super Star and it is that version I have played way more and am more familiar with. I'm pretty sure the first time I ever played the actual original GB version was when I played it in the 25th Anniversary collection and was surprised to find out there was a world/level that had been excluded in the Superstar version with a Blimp boss battle. Totally surprised me. Playing the original again now for maybe only the second time is still a bit of a surprising experience. It's strange to not have the copy ability and levels just aren't what I expect. I don't think I made the connection that the spicy curry item in Smash Bros. comes from this game. I'm pretty sure that's the spicy curry that you in eat in a couple levels and then seem to shoot out some flames with. I feel I learned something new playing this. The challenge is still pretty mild though it would also probably been a bit harder if I didn't use the 3DS VC save states to help move things along faster. When thinking about versus other GB games, I still put it on the positive side of titles worth playing and think of it as the equivalent of Super Mario Land. Overall, it will get a quick snap judgement rating of 2.5/5 stars.

Luigi Dude:

--- Quote from: Khushrenada on August 02, 2023, 06:21:34 PM ---Playing it again, I reminded that I really don't know the game as well as I think I do. My main exposure to Kirby's Dream Land has been Kirby Super Star and it is that version I have played way more and am more familiar with. I'm pretty sure the first time I ever played the actual original GB version was when I played it in the 25th Anniversary collection and was surprised to find out there was a world/level that had been excluded in the Superstar version with a Blimp boss battle. Totally surprised me. Playing the original again now for maybe only the second time is still a bit of a surprising experience. It's strange to not have the copy ability and levels just aren't what I expect. I don't think I made the connection that the spicy curry item in Smash Bros. comes from this game. I'm pretty sure that's the spicy curry that you in eat in a couple levels and then seem to shoot out some flames with. I feel I learned something new playing this. The challenge is still pretty mild though it would also probably been a bit harder if I didn't use the 3DS VC save states to help move things along faster. When thinking about versus other GB games, I still put it on the positive side of titles worth playing and think of it as the equivalent of Super Mario Land. Overall, it will get a quick snap judgement rating of 2.5/5 stars.

--- End quote ---

Did you play the Hard mode that the game tells you how to unlock after you beat it?  I like how it adds completely new enemies to the game and the bosses get a lot tougher.  It's still the hardest traditional Kirby game, that's not the optional True Arena's from the later games.  It's always funny how the biggest complaint people have is the Kirby series being too easy, when the first game had a legit Hard mode that made it significantly more challenging.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version